Options

Ever broken a bone?

Comments

• Options
    audiodave wrote:
    Low blow Sian. Very low.

:p

I get lower... but you'd enjoy that :p
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    CollinCollin Posts: 4,931
    Never broke a bone. I've had plenty of sprains and strains and a few dislocations.
    THANK YOU, LOSTDAWG!

naděje umírá poslední
  • Options
    Collin wrote:
    Never broke a bone. I've had plenty of sprains and strains and a few dislocations.

This astounds me how people have NEVER broken a bone.... makes me wonder what my parents let me get away with as a kid and if maybe I should take out life insurance.... hmm... *thinks*
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,724
    The first time I broke my collarbone I thought I dislocated my shoulder. I tried to pop it back into place, not a good idea :eek:
    NERDS!
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    jamie uk wrote:
    Playing 5 a side football with a bunch of mates, who are also old enough to know better. I was running onto a ball to shoot, I gave it my full pelt, and this awkward scrawney little guy lunged across to block it...I hit the ball very hard, and also his outstretched foot at the same time. Knocked him off his feet...the tosser!

I did exactly the same thing playing football a few months ago. Some kid ran in front of me just as I was about to kick the ball and I kicked him instead - sent him flying. I thought I'd broken it, or at least badly sprained it, but I managed to walk it off in the end. It puffed up and went black but It happened the day before I was due to go to a party in Seoul so I just thought "Fuck it!" and went anyway. I could hardly walk but I managed to walk it off.
    I've sprained both ankles twice before in my life. I spent half my time at school on crutches.
    I've never broken a bone though, despite once being hit by a car going over 50mph. Luckily I was so drunk at the time that I just bounced off it.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I did exactly the same thing playing football a few months ago. I thought I'd broken it, or at least badly sprained it, but I managed to walk it off in the end. It puffed up and went black but It happened the day before I was due to go to a party in Seoul so I just though "Fuck it!" and went anyway. I could hardly walk but I managed to walk it off.
    I've sprained both ankles twice before in my life. I spent half my time at school on crutches. I've never broken a bone though, despite once being hit by a car going over 50mph. Luckily I was so drunk at the time that I just bounced off it.

There's no walking this sucker off, I tried to play on, I could run ok, but the minute I kicked the ball...jeez! I'd say it's a crack the way it feels. I'm getting about ok,... with a limp.
    And, sounds like you got away lightly from that accident, could've been nasty.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    audiodaveaudiodave Posts: 1,623
    jamie uk wrote:
    There's no walking this sucker off, I tried to play on, I could run ok, but the minute I kicked the ball...jeez! I'd say it's a crack the way it feels. I'm getting about ok,... with a limp.
    My ankles were always a weakness in football. I used to get up and run them off...apart from one time this massive guy, probably about twice my weight, deliverately flattened me, and when I tried to get up, I actually fell back down again. Bunch of dirty bastards they were, but I gave far more than I got. :D
    ~AKA Dave-of-the-dead~

I don't wanna think, I wanna feel

Dublin 23/08/06 Lisbon I 04/09/06 Lisbon II 05/09/06 Paris 11/09/06 Verona 16/09/06

London 18/06/07 Dusseldorf 21/06/07 Copenhagen 26/06/07 Nijmegen 28/06/07
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:

I thought I was gonna be out of action for a month or two as I had been in the past when I'd sprained an ankle, but I reckon I just badly bruised it. You may be o.k. Give it a day or two. If you've sprained it the fucker would have puffed up like a beach ball immediately and you'll need to get used to using crutches for the next 6 - 8 weeks.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I thought I was gonna be out of action for a month or two as I had been in the past when I'd sprained an ankle, but I reckon I just badly bruised it. You may be o.k. Give it a day or two. If you've sprained it the fucker would have puffed up like a beach ball immediately and you'll need to get used to using crutches for the next 6 - 8 weeks.

No, it's not a sprain. It was impact on the area between the ball of my right foot and my big toe, I whacked the ball, and this tossers foot at the same time....like as hard as I could. It's either a small break or a very deep bruising. I'll just take it easy for a few days...ahh, the pleasures of full sickness pay!!!:)
  • Options
    RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    The first time I broke my collarbone I thought I dislocated my shoulder. I tried to pop it back into place, not a good idea :eek:
    Yikes! Nothing like feeling the break twice ;)
    I may have broken my toe when I was young but never had it checked out (was a sucky summer that year).
    I destroyed my tibia playing broomball 3 years ago (clean break on the fibula). Fun.
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,101
    jamie uk wrote:
    That's spooky. You got peas? My toe is just starting to discolour, it's ok as long as I don't touch it or try and move it, or put it to the floor. I tried to put my shoe on earlier......bad move!

No peas, all I could find was corn on the cob! Yours sounds worse than mine though, i did manage to get my shoe on this morning although they're flats - no high heels for me for a while...
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    No, it's not a sprain. It was impact on the area between the ball of my right foot and my big toe, I whacked the ball, and this tossers foot at the same time....like as hard as I could. It's either a small break or a very deep bruising. I'll just take it easy for a few days...ahh, the pleasures of full sickness pay!!!:)

Sounds like exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Same scenerio, same part of the foot. You've probably just bruised it. You'll be o.k in a few days. Try walking on it - It may do it some good.
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Byrnzie wrote:
    I've never broken a bone though, despite once being hit by a car going over 50mph. Luckily I was so drunk at the time that I just bounced off it.

byrnzie i believe you might be my new hero :D

and you also have a penchant for sticking your willy into anything.

i like that...
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    No peas, all I could find was corn on the cob! Yours sounds worse than mine though, i did manage to get my shoe on this morning although they're flats - no high heels for me for a while...

No, I think I'm off the high heels for a while also ;)
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

i like that...
    This should be stickied.
  • Options
    Byrnzie wrote:
    Sounds like exactly what happened to me a few months ago. Same scenerio, same part of the foot. You've probably just bruised it. You'll be o.k in a few days. Try walking on it - It may do it some good.

I'm hoping that's all it is.
  • Options
    ChazzChazz Somerset, UK Posts: 1,101
    jamie uk wrote:
    No, I think I'm off the high heels for a while also ;)

LOL
    Dublin, Reading 06
    London, Copenhagen 07
    MSG 08
    SBE, Manchester, London 09
    Dublin, Belfast, London 10
    Manchester, Berlin 12
    Amsterdam, Milton Keynes 14
    London 18
    London 22
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:

i like that...

As long as 'anything' doesn't include blokes, then you may be right. I really should take up a hobby to keep me out of trouble...golf, shooting pheasants, or quantum mechanics perhaps.
  • Options
    LOL
    Hey...I just noticed.....you're new!!
    Quick, run away, run, don't look back...go now while you still have the chance...run for the hills,... save yourself !!!!!!!
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,114
    I've probably got the most embarrassing story for breaking a bone. I broke my wrist when I was 5 for falling off of a vacuum cleaner. We had one of those vacuum's that you had to pull behind you. The pull behind part was level and almost like a platform. Well, I was skinny and lightweight as a child and could stand on the vacuum without my mother really paying any attention to the weight difference. I considered this to be a sport that I called "Vacuum Surfing". So one day she started vacuuming the hall and I started "surfing" then she takes a sharp turn into one of the bedrooms, pulling the vacuum out from under me and causing me to go wrist first into the wall. Hospital visit ensued and I was in a cast for what seemed to be forever (it was a long time when you're 5). What can I say, I was an imaginative child.

I also broke a pinky finger and damaged the ligaments in a middle finger playing basketball (two separate games though).
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    i snapped my femur at a right angle (thats the longest, most voluminous and supposedly strongest bone in the body!) when i was about 8 or 9 after getting knocked off my bmx by a car, and my fuckin bmx was ruined, it went to the shape of a banana :eek:

Still....... i got to spend one of the hottest summers in history in a stuffy hospital eating mince or fish every night for tea! great :rolleyes:
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    Hey...I just noticed.....you're new!!
    Quick, run away, run, don't look back...go now while you still have the chance...run for the hills,... save yourself !!!!!!!
    What year is it there?
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    I broke three ribs as a teenager. It was agony! Initally believing that the rib bones had collapsed and pierced through my lung, I promptly passed out.
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Posts: 475
    Age 6 - Broken Right Wrist - Fell off slide
    Age 13 - Broken Right Ankle - hockey puck > ankle
    Age 13 - Broken Left Wrist - fell while goofing around swinging from soccer posts
    Age 13 - Broken Left Shin/Ankle - a pretty gross soccer injury..I won't describe it.
    Age 15 - Broken middle finger, left hand - basketball > finger
    Age 17 - Dislocated shoulder - hit from behind in hockey
    Age 19 - Broken left elbow - indoor soccer injury...this one was gross too...my arm dislocated at the elbow
    Age 23 - torn knee ligaments - soccer fall

My wife calls me Mr. Glass. :(
  • Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Rygar wrote:
    What year is it there?

nicely spotted Rygar :D
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    I broke three ribs as a teenager. It was agony! Initally believing that the rib bones had collapsed and pierced through my lung, I promptly passed out.
    Probably for the better, eh?
    The destruction of my tibia only hurt for a few seconds, then I was ok (unless I moved my leg at all).
  • Options
    dunkman wrote:
    nicely spotted Rygar :D
    haha!
    I guess he proves his point though. He's been so lost in this place he doesn't know what year it is :p
  • Options
    Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    broke my hand 3x

American football...going over the middle...
    I love to turn you on
  • Options
    Rygar wrote:
    What year is it there?

HA! Busted!

note to self....rygar is a finicky bastard, watch him in future.
  • Options
    jamie uk wrote:
    HA! Busted!

note to self....rygar is a finicky bastard, watch him in future.
    I was concerned, that's all.