Tipping At An Open Bar

124»

Comments

• dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    DS1119 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

yip .. if its an open bar why tip to get better service... :)

Why? Because I want better service. :lol:

that sounds like desperation to me!! :lol::lol:
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • LloydXmasLloydXmas Posts: 7,539
    Was at an open bar Tuesday night. I gave the guy a 20 up front.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,511
    dunkman wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

in Scotland we'd frown upon that... makes you look like a flash fucker trying to flash his cash around... by 1am you'd be mugged :corn:

Really? I guess it's just different cultures. When I tip I certainly don't make it flashy...I just always tip a buck per drink.

yip .. if its an open bar why tip to get better service... we're all in this together. you should be served in order rather than who tipped or didnt.

but aye... cultural. :)
    :lol:
    www.myspace.com
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    Cheap bastards!

You tip!!

Maybe not every drink, but at least t the end of the night. :D
  • ldent42ldent42 Posts: 7,859
    mca47 wrote:
    Cheap bastards!

You tip!!

Maybe not every drink, but at least t the end of the night. :D

if it's an open bar with one or two bartenders, tip big on the first drink. the rest of the night your drinks will be made with care :)

at least this is what i have been told by catering place bartenders ;)
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    Was on one of those dinner cruises in NYC last night. I really hate dinner cruises, but I digress. I had to be there. Open bar all night. First drink I left $20 and that was the last weak drink of the night (was made prior to the tip being presented). My drinks were never made ahead of others (nor should they have been) but as soon as it was my turn my drink was made and I was on my way. (On a side note, charging $15 for a vodka soda on a boat is a joke, felt bad for those paying). Seeing how the night would have cost me about $200 (between drinks my gf and I consumed and the cost of the trip), $20 was a steal!
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • Dru_CortezDru_Cortez Posts: 953
    Another side to this issue...

My gf + I are getting married at the end of the month. The reception is at a local country club, open bar. The club included a gratuity in the overall bill for the event. ERGO, bar staff are getting tipped already.

At similar events, I have always tipped under the impression that it would help cover the cost of the booze for the wedding couple. However, guests tipping the bar staff at my wedding will simply be collecting a SECOND ROUND of tips from guests, while I tip them as part of the bill.

This is frustrating + a bit awkward; any ideas?

Cheers.
    'Cause you don't give blood and take it back again.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Dru_Cortez wrote:
    Another side to this issue...

My gf + I are getting married at the end of the month. The reception is at a local country club, open bar. The club included a gratuity in the overall bill for the event. ERGO, bar staff are getting tipped already.

At similar events, I have always tipped under the impression that it would help cover the cost of the booze for the wedding couple. However, guests tipping the bar staff at my wedding will simply be collecting a SECOND ROUND of tips from guests, while I tip them as part of the bill.

This is frustrating + a bit awkward; any ideas?

Cheers.

don't sweat it ... it's your wedding day ... enjoy it ... if someone asks you whether they should tip - let them know it was part of the bill ... if someone wants to tip - it's their choice and it won't really matter in the grand scheme of things ...