Tipping At An Open Bar

mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
edited August 2013 in All Encompassing Trip
Who does it?? Yes another tipping thread. My company is having a party next week at some nightclub here in the city. Having been a waiter and a bartender at events with an open bar I know that people usually don't tip (as it is included in the booking along with the fact that people are cheap bastards!!!). I always tip at an open bar. I figure I'm not paying for the drinks or a cover to get in plus the owner of the club in more than likely a thieving bastard that won't give a fair share to the staff anyways so I tip away. Anyone else??
"The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I tip! I hate to be cheap. I bartended, its hard job and very crazy when its an open bar.

I also tip every time I get a drink in vegas. The drinks are free there but they come faster and more often when you show some love.
  • I always tip at an open bar, usually a few bucks per round. I don't care how expensive the pub/hall is, if there's a glass/jar on the bar, I'm putting money in there. I'll never understand how people won't tip - free booze or not.
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I think it depends on the event. I wouldn't do it at a wedding/bar mitzvah, but, if its a business function, a sponsored event, or backstage at a gig, I always tip.

You'd think that people would be happy to tip, since the hooch is free!
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    I usually start the bartender off with $10. I then tell them they're still going to lose a lot of money on me.
    I love to turn you on
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    I usually start the bartender off with $10. I then tell them they're still going to lose a lot of money on me.

haha. I always tell them to have one on me. The joke never really goes over well. Maybe I should stop using it. ;)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    if i'm getting free drinks, then i'm gonna want those drinks pronto! so a few bucks every once in a while should keep the liquor flowing.....:)
  • TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Always tip at an open bar.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    I do. I would even tip to *find* an open bar.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    of course u tip
    Rygar wrote:
    I do. I would even tip to *find* an open bar.

Fly to NYC next wednesday and you can join in the fun!! Of course the cost of the trip might offset the benefit!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    Fly to NYC next wednesday and you can join in the fun!! Of course the cost of the trip might offset the benefit!
    I could open my own open bar for that much ;)
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    definately tip at open bar, regardless of the function
  • jbalicki10jbalicki10 Posts: 517
    I don't believe in tipping at an open bar but I still do it. The reason being is that the host usually pays the 20% tip for you already by hosting the event. Why should anyone have to pay extra for the tip when it's already paid? I only give a buck for a drink. It's not that hard to a pour beer.
  • holtzholtz Posts: 509
    I tip at open bars just so I will be served before the other people who don't tip.
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    The reason being is that the host usually pays the 20% tip for you already by hosting the event.

What you mentioned above is one of the main reasons I do tip at an open bar. I know a lot of restaurants charge the host 20% and then pay the staff either an hourly wage or a fixed amount which usually is a lot less than 20%. The staff doesn't usually get to see the amount charged to the party and are getting ripped off. So while my couple bucks per drink may not make their night, it will hopefully influence someone else to tip as well to make up for what the owner is stealing. Dunk must be shitting himself if he is reading this and not being able to reply!!! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

mookie9999 wrote:
    jbalicki10 wrote:
    The reason being is that the host usually pays the 20% tip for you already by hosting the event.

What you mentioned above is one of the main reasons I do tip at an open bar. I know a lot of restaurants charge the host 20% and then pay the staff either an hourly wage or a fixed amount which usually is a lot less than 20%. The staff doesn't usually get to see the amount charged to the party and are getting ripped off. So while my couple bucks per drink may not make their night, it will hopefully influence someone else to tip as well to make up for what the owner is stealing. Dunk must be shitting himself if he is reading this and not being able to reply!!! :D
    What he said.
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Dunk must be shitting himself if he is reading this and not being able to reply!!! :D

i'm waiting for a "new member" from across the pond to post here soon....:D:D
    cutback wrote:
    i'm waiting for a "new member" from across the pond to post here soon....:D:D

No shit!!! Where are all of the haters out there?!? I must have started this thread too late in the day!! I'll have to bump it first thing in the morning!!!
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,796
    always tip the barkeep

$20 spot at the start keeps em flowing my way
    mookie9999 wrote:
    No shit!!! Where are all of the haters out there?!? I must have started this thread too late in the day!! I'll have to bump it first thing in the morning!!!

helen will find it....no need to bump.....;) :p
    cutback wrote:
    helen will find it....no need to bump.....;) :p

That's true. By the time I wake up tomorrow this thread will be 18 pages long 16 of them will be Helen's responses. :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"What's your name?"

• AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    mookie9999 wrote:
    Who does it?? Yes another tipping thread. My company is having a party next week at some nightclub here in the city. Having been a waiter and a bartender at events with an open bar I know that people usually don't tip (as it is included in the booking along with the fact that people are cheap bastards!!!). I always tip at an open bar. I figure I'm not paying for the drinks or a cover to get in plus the owner of the club in more than likely a thieving bastard that won't give a fair share to the staff anyways so I tip away. Anyone else??

I will say that at my job's holiday party there was an open bar but it was in a hotel ball room and I got a soda (I had to work that night!) so I did not tip for the soda, but in that night club type of setting I would probably tip.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    of course booze involved
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    I rarely drink, since I usually am the one driving, so it always kills me to see an open bar, and only have a beer/glass of wine or 2.
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    start with 5$ then usually a dollar a drink then if they were good an extra 5.....which usually amounts to $20 tip all in all
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    Dunk just called to say a free drink is a free drink for fook's sake.
    Tip my ass.
    I then asked him if he ever tipped the guy in the bathroom for handing him a towel to wipe his hands....
    I heard this in the background...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJwYaeolXc&feature=related
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Tip...
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Dunk just called to say a free drink is a free drink for fook's sake.
    Tip my ass.
    I then asked him if he ever tipped the guy in the bathroom for handing him a towel to wipe his hands....
    I heard this in the background...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=enJwYaeolXc&feature=related
    hahahahahahahaha
  • dawngdawng Posts: 644
    absolutely - better drinks result! :) on that note - I try to order directly from the bartender anytime I'm at a club - tip them well and be rewarded!
    Check out my Sudsy Chick Etsy Store for all natural homemade bath products!
    Rygar wrote:
    hahahahahahahaha
    Is that or is that not Dunk's shtick, word for word almost. :)
    You know he bleeds his wallet dry tipping everyone from the Starbuck's person to the mailman. Not kidding me, that's for sure.