Tipping At An Open Bar

Comments

• acoustic guyacoustic guy Posts: 3,770
    Nevermind
    Get em a Body Bag Yeeeeeaaaaa!
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    lets put it this way for me:-

In the US i would tip if everyone else did, or the americans i were with shouted at me long enough

in the UK i wouldnt tip and nor would anyone else.

its a cultural thing... :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.

• So uncool not to tip. You look like a dick.

The whole dick or just the tip?
    Progress is not made by everyone joining some new fad,
    and reveling in it's loyalty. It's made by forming coalitions
    over specific principles, goals, and policies.

http://i36.tinypic.com/66j31x.jpg

(\__/)
    ( o.O)
    (")_(")
    The whole dick or just the tip?
    hahahahahaha LOL
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    It usually depends on the event. If it's a wedding or something similar, I don't tip because it's not really expected and nobody else tips then either. If it's for a work/company event, then I do tip for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. However, if the booze is bought by the company and people from the company have volunteered to bartend, I don't tip since they are volunteering and not trying to make a decent wage as a bartender.
    It usually depends on the event. If it's a wedding or something similar, I don't tip because it's not really expected and nobody else tips then either. If it's for a work/company event, then I do tip for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. However, if the booze is bought by the company and people from the company have volunteered to bartend, I don't tip since they are volunteering and not trying to make a decent wage as a bartender.

Why do you think its not expected? Sometimes the bartender is asked not to put a tip cup on the bar but they still can receive them.

Makes sense about the volunteered bartender
    Sweep the Leg Johnny.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,127
    Why do you think its not expected? Sometimes the bartender is asked not to put a tip cup on the bar but they still can receive them.

Makes sense about the volunteered bartender
    In my area, for weddings and similar events, the host has already paid a tip. Having been involved with the planning of a few weddings, the companies that provide that service ask for the tip up front. If they've already been tipped adequately, I don't see the need to go above and beyond that, especially if they aren't expecting to receive tips.
  • blackredyellowblackredyellow Posts: 5,889
    I do it.

I don't tip to help out the bartender, as most of the time the gratuity is built into the cost of everything.

I do tip (at least on the first few drinks), so that when I come up to the crowded bar, I get quick service. I try to find a time early on where the bar isn't crowded, make small talk with the bartender, buy a couple drinks and leave a good tip. Usually the bartender will remember me.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    dunkman wrote:

In the US i would tip if everyone else did, or the americans i were with shouted at me long enough

speechless ;)

Oh and I tipped the bartenders well that night. They were very attentive and looked like they could use a sandwich! :D
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
    mookie9999 wrote:
    speechless ;)

Oh and I tipped the bartenders well that night. They were very attentive and looked like they could use a sandwich! :D

if it was an open bar in scotland and the guy expected a tip then 47 pale blue guys would just be pouring their own drinks whilst the barman was tied up and kept in a cellar. ;)

an open bar is actually called a "free bar" in Scotland... so if anyone tipped they'd break some ancient law and i think they have their ovaries smelted as a punishment... maybe.. cant remember.
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • butterfly1butterfly1 Posts: 372
    Gotta tip at an open bar. they will really appreciate it and its the cool thing to do.
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    i rarely do. in NY anyway, open bar parties almost always have the tis built into the price of the party for whoever is hosting. i know for my mom's big surprise party at the start of the month, we had an open bar....and yes, we paid an 18% gratuity upfront. if i get truly excellent service i may throw some cash, but i see sooo many tip like they are at a regular bar, i just don't bother. and, with or without tip...my service should be the same, and it usually is.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    mookie9999 wrote:
    speechless ;)

a turkey sandwich, or a mookie sandwich ;);) :eek:
  • _Crazy_Mary__Crazy_Mary_ Posts: 1,299

I also tip every time I get a drink in vegas. The drinks are free there but they come faster and more often when you show some love.

I'm always so embarrassed when I go to Reno with my dad because he'll order his free drink and when the waitress brings it he hands her a quarter! "Oh, wait, don't forget your quarter!" Only for some reason he pronounces it "cuter" in that situation. He's an absolute dope.
    I really screwed that up. I really Schruted it.
  • GraySaturdayGraySaturday Posts: 2,878
    I'm always so embarrassed when I go to Reno with my dad because he'll order his free drink and when the waitress brings it he hands her a quarter! "Oh, wait, don't forget your quarter!" Only for some reason he pronounces it "cuter" in that situation. He's an absolute dope.

hehehe.. that made me laugh.. a quarter is almost worse then no tip.. its like a slap in the face. I'm sure they are used to it though...

Its sorta like when my boss said she wanted to give me a bonus but her bonus wasn't as good as she expected, so she offered me a 25 dollar bonus.. haha.. Um.. thats okay.. you can keep that 25 dollars.. Its been a pleasure serving you :)
  • mookie9999mookie9999 Posts: 4,677
    a turkey sandwich, or a mookie sandwich ;);) :eek:

This restaurant is open all hours and the menu is vast! Might I recommend the sausage and peppers?!? :eek:

(Forgive me as I am still drunk from last night but not feeling any pain!!)
    "The leads are weak!"

"The leads are weak? Fuckin' leads are weak? You're Weak! I've Been in this business 15 years"

"What's your name?"

"FUCK YOU! THAT"S MY NAME!"
  • I tip at open bars...because I hate cheap bastards.
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
    dunkman wrote:

:eek:
    *speechless*
    :D

happy now?
    :p
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

:eek:
    *speechless*
    :D

happy now?
    :p

if i say i'm happy do i have to tip for the excellent service in making me happy? ;)
    dunkman wrote:
    if i say i'm happy do i have to tip for the excellent service in making me happy? ;)

well of course.
    and the american standard of 20%. :D
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

• DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Always tip at an open bar. The bartender will always look to take care of the tippers before the non tippers first.
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,280
    DS1119 wrote:
    Always tip at an open bar. The bartender will always look to take care of the tippers before the non tippers first.
    This ^.

I rarely carry cash though. So many times I've been in a spot where I should have thrown down a couple bucks but couldn't.

An aside:
    I wonder if current/modern day bums have it a lot harder than bums in years past? I mean, nobody carries cash or change to hand out anymore. Back in the day if a bum asked you for some change, it at least made sense! Now, you get the "spare some change?" from a bum and unless they have a credit/debit card swiper, they are shit out of luck! :?
  • pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    always tip and then tip some more :D
  • chadwickchadwick Posts: 21,157
    what is the difference in open bars & closed bars? one is open the other is not? the fucker is closed, yes/no?

open bar
    closed bar

tipping at a closed bar?
    the fucker is god damn closed
    why are you there anyway?

open bars are the only bars people are at

i don't get it

if my balls are open will you tip me?
    what if they are closed will you still tip me?
    i need some frickin tips for christ sakes
    im fucking open ok
    for poetry through the ceiling. ISBN: 1 4241 8840 7

"Hear me, my chiefs!
    I am tired; my heart is
    sick and sad. From where
    the sun stands I will fight
    no more forever."

Chief Joseph - Nez Perce
    DS1119 wrote:

in Scotland we'd frown upon that... makes you look like a flash fucker trying to flash his cash around... by 1am you'd be mugged :corn:
    dunkman wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

in Scotland we'd frown upon that... makes you look like a flash fucker trying to flash his cash around... by 1am you'd be mugged :corn:

Really? I guess it's just different cultures. When I tip I certainly don't make it flashy...I just always tip a buck per drink.
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    chadwick wrote:
    what is the difference in open bars & closed bars? one is open the other is not? the fucker is closed, yes/no?

open bar
    closed bar

tipping at a closed bar?
    the fucker is god damn closed
    why are you there anyway?

open bars are the only bars people are at

i don't get it

if my balls are open will you tip me?
    what if they are closed will you still tip me?
    i need some frickin tips for christ sakes
    im fucking open ok
    Chad , Open= free drinks to the drinker. Otherwise its known as a CASH bar.
    Trust me. I know about these things!! ;)
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    DS1119 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:

Really? I guess it's just different cultures. When I tip I certainly don't make it flashy...I just always tip a buck per drink.

yip .. if its an open bar why tip to get better service... we're all in this together. you should be served in order rather than who tipped or didnt.

but aye... cultural. :)
    dunkman wrote:

yip .. if its an open bar why tip to get better service... :)

Why? Because I want better service. :lol:
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,798
    dunkman wrote:
    DS1119 wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

yip .. if its an open bar why tip to get better service... we're all in this together. you should be served in order rather than who tipped or didnt.

but aye... cultural. :)
    Why tip? Well I want my free shit sooner than you get your free shit. Thats why. :mrgreen:
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14