The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Posts: 16,967
    Baseball - when the game is important - is the single best sporting event of the major 4. Football's better on TV. Hockey is the best sport in HD. So it shall be read, so it shall be done, I have spoken.
  • Cliffy6745Cliffy6745 Posts: 33,726

hockey is great live--but poop on tv.

HDTV has done more good for hockey than any other spot.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    all sports are better live....

playoff hockey has to be at the top of the list for playoffs tho. constant action, unlike the others where there is always a lull in the action
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    Baseball - when the game is important - is the single best sporting event of the major 4. Football's better on TV. Hockey is the best sport in HD. So it shall be read, so it shall be done, I have spoken.

Beat me to it dude.
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    81 wrote:

that doesn't really apply. i'm just not a big fan of the sport in general. and when i say i hop on board during the playoffs, i'm not out buying flyers hats or shirts like i'm a die hard or something--thats fraudulent. i'm just watching on tv or in a bar with friends who know where i stand on the sport. i'm a 4 for 4 guy who supports all the local squads. but i make no bones about my love for the 3 other sports and my kinda-like of hockey.

8. No hopping on and off the bandwagon during the season with the flip-flop, "I knew we were going to self-destruct! ... All right, we won six straight! ... I knew we wouldn't keep playing this well. ... I knew we would bounce back!" routine as the season drags along. Just for the record, this is probably my biggest fault as a sports fan -- I overreact to everything. I've already written off the Celtics three different times this season, and I've given up on Antoine Walker roughly 435 times over the past six years. Can I get some medication for this?
    www.myspace.com
    81 wrote:

playoff hockey has to be at the top of the list for playoffs tho. constant action, unlike the others where there is always a lull in the action

the "lull" in a clinching baseball playoff game is all intensity dude. that's part of what makes it so great.
    www.myspace.com
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    81 wrote:

the "lull" in a clinching baseball playoff game is all intensity dude. that's part of what makes it so great.

i get it. i enjoy it. but the last 5 minutes of a game 7 hockey game with a 1 goal difference is off the charts
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    edited May 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    yep, right after baseball and football

why can't briere play like that all the time? he was more aggressive with the puck than I've ever seen him.

richards is such a beast...love that dude

Woah...baseball and Football are better LIVE then hockey ?

:?

as a 9 year eagles season ticket holder even i will admit that football is a little better on tv. the tailgates are second to none in the sports world though. hockey is great live--but poop on tv.

Football is way better on TV....The tailgating is great but are we talking total experience or just the game itself?

I'm a Hockey Whore so i like it on TV and love it live....I've never been to a Playoff Football game I'd much rather watch it on TV honestly

Playoff hockey in OT is intense as shit due to Sudden Death
    Post edited by Phantom Pain on
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    81 wrote:

Don't get me wrong last year against the Dodgers in the 9th I couldn't eat or drink when I was watching it

When Lupul scored in that game 7 against the Caps in OT I think I scarred my wife for life with my wild reaction

:lol:

• neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    cant compare hockey playoffs to ANYTHING

EVERYBODY KILLING EACH OTHER SUDDEN DEATH ..... SOOO AWESOME
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    edited May 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    the jeagler has become a hockey fan for this year (yes i jump on the bandwagon during playoff time).

that game was pretty damn intense last night.
    Hockey is without a doubt the best sport to watch live.

yep, right after baseball and football

why can't briere play like that all the time? he was more aggressive with the puck than I've ever seen him.

richards is such a beast...love that dude

Woah...baseball and Football are better LIVE then hockey ?

:?[/quote]

absolutely. nothing is better than being at a baseball game on a nice day or night. the aesthetics cannot be matched by other sports. and baseball playoffs are unmatched...every pitch is a cliffhanger.

I could see an argument that hockey is better than football. I think football wins because it's outside. I also think the 2 minutes leading up to an NFL kickoff is like a shot of adrenaline that can't be matched in sports (the rest of the game can get boring, especially with the 10 million commercial breaks during an NFL game). I think it's more fun to watch multiple NFL games from my couch (or my buddy's incredible basement) than be there and only see one game (and mostly, the players just standing around)

Hockey is good live, but I think the sport has changed too much over the last few years. They are taking the physical aspects of play away (especially fighting). that was the best part of the sport. There are also too many lulls during hockey games...it's rare you see end to end action throughout a game. Hockey was so much better 10 years ago

just my opinion...I like all 4 major sports (with the NBA being a distant 4th)
    Post edited by The Fixer on

agree with this 100%

watching sports without HD is like wearing a condom during sex. I'll do it, but I know it could be so much better
    hmnn might have to bet the flyers tommorrow night :lol:8-);)

I wouldn't do that if I were you...

beatdown.jpg

8-):D;)

ill bet the b's for you..i mean i only lost 400 over the past 3 games...whats another 100 or so :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    hmnn might have to bet the flyers tommorrow night :lol:8-);)

beatdown.jpg

ill bet the b's for you..i mean i only lost 400 over the past 3 games...whats another 100 or so :mrgreen:

Dude, am I slow? Is this NYPJ/Jason?

beatdown.jpg

nah dude im neil

alot of people seem t think iam this guy because im from ny and root for ny teams

i guess he liked to gamble also

nah dude im neil

alot of people seem t think iam this guy because im from ny and root for ny teams

It's eerily similar.

Football is way better on TV....The tailgating is great but are we talking total experience or just the game itself?

I'm a Hockey Whore so i like it on TV and love it live....I've never been to a Playoff Football game I'd much rather watch it on TV honestly

Playoff hockey in OT is intense as shit due to Sudden Death

the 4th and 26 overtime game wasn't intense?
    www.myspace.com
    nah dude im neil

It's eerily similar.

that njpj dude was a waaaaaaaaaay bigger a hole
    www.myspace.com
    i love the bruins tonight :lol::lol:

send the bet in ;)
  • fifefife Posts: 3,327
    Come on Boys, let make history tonight. final score i say is philly 3-1. so it is written so it will be done.
    LETS GO FLYERS CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP CLAP!!!!

Can't break tradition

Gotta love Rasheed Wallace - after locking up the series against the Cleve, he's in the locker room sporting a Flyers cap....in Boston. Love it.
    Think i saw on the news this morning they are opening the wachovia center for people to watch it and having a block party.
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Think i saw on the news this morning they are opening the wachovia center for people to watch it and having a block party.

Yeah, it's free. Thinking about it...
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thats cool, would probably be a good time. Wonder what kind of crowd they will get.
    edited May 2010
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

Thats cool, would probably be a good time. Wonder what kind of crowd they will get.

I'm probably in the minority here, but I HATE watching big games out at a bar or crowded venue. I like to be in a controlled environment so I can hear what's going on with injuries and such. I also can't stand listening to 'new fans' scream dumb, obnoxious shit that doesn't make sense (like every home phillies game these days).

The flyers are desperate to fill that building. I get 20 emails a week from them asking if I want to buy playoff tix. They're just after concession sales. I'll be sitting on my couch flipping between the flyboys and phils

The flyers have let me down way too many times over the years. Hate to say it, but I think they lose tonight (I've been saying that for 3 games now, so that is probably a good thing)
    Cliffy6745 wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

You know the crowd - a Flyers crowd. And by that, I mean a lot of hammers and nerds. I kid, I kid.
    it does suck watching in a big venue on a big screen

invite people over and enjoy
    edited May 2010
    The Fixer wrote:
    Cliffy6745 wrote:

I'm probably in the minority here, but I HATE watching big games out at a bar or crowded venue. I like to be in a controlled environment so I can hear what's going on with injuries and such. I also can't stand listening to 'new fans' scream dumb, obnoxious shit that doesn't make sense (like every home phillies game these days).

The flyers are desperate to fill that building. I get 20 emails a week from them asking if I want to buy playoff tix. They're just after concession sales. I'll be sitting on my couch flipping between the flyboys and phils

The flyers have let me down way too many times over the years. Hate to say it, but I think they lose tonight (I've been saying that for 3 games now, so that is probably a good thing)

The only reason I have a gut feeling they lose tonight is because it seems like everyone in the media around here - and almost feels like the players too - are making it sound like they've already come back to make history. Not yet, my friends - like when Comcast was all set to head to San Diego for the Super Bowl in 2003. Like they already have all these heroic stories lined up and they can't help themselves. And for this, I have a gut feeling they lose. That, and for some reason I think Leighton comes up small tonight. God, I hope I'm wrong.

And for big games - it depends. Watching the Phils clinch the pennant in '08 at the Irish Pub was way better than when I watched it at home last year. People spraying beer everywhere, people hugging each other, running down Walnut to Broad. Awesome. Now, granted being at the games when they clinched the division in '08 on that double play, Shane's salami on CC, game 1 of the LCS in '08, Jimmy's double in the LCS in '09, game 5 of the WS last year, and of course game 5 of the WS in '08 were all supremely better being there.