The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Empty GlassEmpty Glass Posts: 12,329
    Tick tick tick :D
    I've met Rob

DEGENERATE FUK

This place is dead

"THERE ARE NO CLIQUES, ONLY THOSE WHO DON'T JOIN THE FUN" - Empty circa 2015

"Kfsbho&$thncds" - F Me In the Brain - circa 2015
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Good series by the Flyers but I have to wonder what the Penquins were doing for the final minutes of the 3rd? You have a six on four power play and you're skating around the offensive zone passing the puck like your trying out for the Ice Capades? You're playing a goaltender that gives up soft goal and big rebounds. Pound the fucking net. :fp:
  • eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 41,752
    :clap: Great overall win for the flyers (offense, defense, special teams, goaltending). Guess i get to keep my "playoff beard" for a little longer now. :mrgreen:
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    4/28/16- Philly, PA
    4/29/16- Philly, PA
    5/1/16- NYC
    5/2/16- NYC
    9/2/18- Boston, MA
    9/4/18- Boston, MA
    9/14/22- Camden, NJ
    9/7/24- Philly, PA
    9/9/24- Philly, PA
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly. PA
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly, PA
    RNDM- 3/9/16- Philly, PA
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    :clap:

Nice win ..amazing what back checking and solid D in front of Bryz can do

By far their best effort of the series
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    YES! i can go back to hating the flyers. unless you guys end up playing the devils of course ;)
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    :D
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    edited April 2012
    How awesome was that Giroux hit on Crosby and goal 30 seconds in? Great job boys, you got the upset.

sBaCU.gif
    Post edited by Dr. Delight on
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    sBaCU.gif

:lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • conmanconman Posts: 7,493
    How awesome was that Giroux goal 30 seconds in? Great job boys, you got the upset.

sBaCU.gif
    :lol::lol:
  • Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Its' time to get some healthy bodies back now. Would be huge to get Grossman and Mezsaros back.
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
    How awesome was that Giroux hit on Crosby and goal 30 seconds in? Great job boys, you got the upset.

sBaCU.gif

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

sBaCU.gif

Haha !

Phuck the Ice Chickens !!

Btw that movie looks awesome !

How could I forget

#knockknock

I never noticed your signature before. Awesome!

MIss+McGill.jpg
    DS1119 wrote:

I never noticed your signature before. Awesome!

MIss+McGill.jpg

She takes care of her boys

Bylsma opens presser with: 'I want to congratulate the Flyers organization on the series win but, I really can’t wish them good luck though'

:P

• fifefife Posts: 3,327
    best game we have played in a long while. we blocked more shots then we pittsburgh had shots which was great.

I dont think we can say anything about Giroux other than WOW!

Missing 4 dman and still winning is great news for us. now just hopeing that the other series go 7 games so we can rest.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Posts: 11,311
    Lavy calls Giroux best player in the world. Well, let's not get carried away, but I'm pretty sure he's the best in Pennsylvania. ;)

Long week of watching all the other teams try to get to the 2nd round. Sounds like fun. 8-)

Flyers can still play any of the other 6 remaining East teams in the 2nd round. NHL playoff format is kind of funny.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    fife wrote:
    Missing 4 dman and still winning is great news for us. now just hopeing that the other series go 7 games so we can rest.

Definitely getting plenty of rest - our opponent won't be known until all the other East series are over. Hopefully Grossman is better by then.

Gustaffson's goal, by the way... :lol::lol::lol:
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore 10/27/13;
    WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22;
    Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24; WF Center 9/7/24; WF Center 9/9/24; Baltimore Arena 9/12/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Oh by the way, Tom Corbett - YOU CAN SUCK IT! :mrgreen:

81 wrote:
    I have a work dinner - hoping to be home for 2nd period. Flemings Prime Steakhouse - life could be worse.

Let's finish off the Pens - LETS GO FLYERS!

will dad be buying?

What's that supposed to mean?

• JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    girrooooo.gif
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • The FixerThe Fixer Posts: 12,837
    Bylsma opens presser with: 'I want to congratulate the Flyers organization on the series win but, I really can’t wish them good luck though'

I really thought he was going to start crying during that press conf.

Giroux for President 2012

Go Sens tonight
    The Fixer wrote:

I really thought he was going to start crying during that press conf.

Giroux for President 2012

Go Sens tonight

Him saying that shows no class, if this was the Flyer saying that people would be calling us sore losers.
  • polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559
    Glad Fleury is back

yeah ... fleury really was the difference in this series ... that and the pk for the pens ... if washington beats boston - good chance you'll come out of the east ...
    always fun reading the newspaper of opposing teams

PHILADELPHIA -- Penguins defenseman Brooks Orpik did his postgame media thing in front of his locker, then adjourned to a quiet side room to be alone with his thoughts. For a long time, he sat with his knees pulled to his chest, his elbows on his knees, his chin on his hands. Reality seemed to hit home for Orpik at that point, just as it did during the previous three hours Sunday for anyone who watched the Philadelphia Flyers bounce the favored Penguins from their first-round Stanley Cup playoff series with a 5-1 win in Game 6.

These Penguins -- probably more talented on paper than any NHL team -- wasted an opportunity that doesn't come along every year for every hockey club.

"We had a lot of confidence in this group," center Jordan Staal said. "To come up short like this is disappointing."

Hold on.

It gets worse.

These Penguins will be remembered as monumental underachievers, the most egregious underachievers in franchise history.

"To play only six games in the Stanley Cup playoffs and not be playing until deep into the summer ... " winger Chris Kunitz said, not bothering to finish his sentence.

Deep into the summer?

The Penguins were eliminated on a day they were calling for heavy snow in Pittsburgh.

Somehow, that seemed appropriate because the Flyers buried 'em.

Game 6 was over virtually from the start. Flyers star Claude Giroux went to coach Peter Laviolette and told him he wanted the first shift. Laviolette gave it to him and, in just 32 seconds, Giroux knocked Penguins star Sidney Crosby flying with a check and scored the first goal. The Flyers took 14 shots at solving Penguins goaltender Marc-Andre Fleury in the third period of Game 5 -- a 3-2 Penguins' win -- and couldn't do it.

Giroux needed just one in this game. "He wanted to get out on the ice," Laviolette said. "He wanted to make a statement ... He made sure the Flyers moved on tonight."

If the game wasn't over then, it was after the Flyers' Scott Hartnell scored on the power play -- his team's 12th power-play goal of the series, a ridiculously high number -- and little-used defenseman Erik Gustafsson scored an even-strength goal that had no business going through Fleury to make it, 3-0. Evgeni Malkin got a goal back for the Penguins in the second period, but -- wouldn't you know it? -- the Flyers' Danny Briere scored just 36 seconds later to restore the three-goal lead, 4-1. Earlier in the series, the Flyers answered a Penguins' goal in 17 seconds and another in 23. So much for momentum.

But the Flyers weren't just more resilient than the Penguins. They were more determined. In Game 6, they had 40 blocked shots to the Penguins' 14. "I don't know that I've seen that," Laviolette said. "I think it speaks volumes about our group. It says a lot about the commitment of this team."

It also said plenty about the Penguins' commitment.

They had none.

They went down for the count without even putting up a fight.

But as poorly as the Penguins played Sunday, they didn't lose the series in Game 6. They lost it at home in Game 1 when they blew a 3-0 lead after one period and a 3-1 lead after two. They lost it in Game 2 when they couldn't hold 2-0, 3-1, 4-3 and 5-4 leads. "I'll spend a lot of time thinking about that," Penguins coach Dan Bylsma said.

It's tempting to say the series turned in the second period of Game 1 when, with the Penguins leading, 3-0, Briere scored a goal after the officials missed an off-sides call. But that would cheapen how well the Flyers played and also let the Penguins off the hook for their many mistakes. The Penguins failed in every area. The penalty-kill -- among the NHL's best all season -- was a joke. The power play allowed two crushing short-handed goals in the Game 2 loss and another in the Game 3 loss. Fleury was mostly bad. The defense in front of him was worse. It's easy to blame all of the problems on Paul Martin, who sat out the final three games. But Orpik and Kris Letang -- the team's best defensemen -- also were lousy.

Does that about cover it?

Actually, no.

Crosby and Malkin were awfully quiet. Bylsma asserted that Crosby played better in the six games than he did in the 14 he played after coming back to the lineup March 14 from concussion-like symptoms, but it was hard to see. He didn't have a point in the final two games and finished the series with three goals and five assists. Malkin was worse, although he did seem to make more of an effort in Game 6. A 50-goal man during a season in which he surely was the NHL's MVP, he scored his other two goals in the Penguins' 10-3 win in Game 4. He also finished with three goals and five assists.

This has become something of a disturbing trend. Crosby and Malkin missed the first-round playoff loss to the Tampa Bay Lightning last season because of injuries but did little in the second-round loss to the Montreal Canadiens in 2010. Each had just one goal in seven games. This is two series in a row that they have been disappointing.

Can you say underachieving?

You want to talk about a star being a star?

That was Giroux, who is one-quarter of his way to the Conn Smythe Trophy as postseason MVP. He has six goals and eight assists for an NHL-leading 14 points.

Bylsma and the Penguins had no answers for Giroux. They had no answers for anything the Flyers did.

That's what Orpik must have been contemplating as he sat in that quiet room. He was still there -- still in that same position -- when someone finally closed the door, allowing him to be alone with his misery.

Funny thing about that door.

It closed almost as easily as the Flyers closed the door on the Penguins' season.

A season to forget.

Ron Cook: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:rcook@post-gazette.com">rcook@post-gazette.com</a><!-- e -->.
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
    polaris_x wrote:
    Glad Fleury is back

yeah ... fleury really was the difference in this series ... that and the pk for the pens ... if washington beats boston - good chance you'll come out of the east ...

I think if we get some d-man back we can beat boston. Boston has not looked good so far but I don't know if that has more to do with what the Cap are doing or not.
  • JK_LivinJK_Livin Posts: 7,365
    iyaH7.gif
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
    JK_Livin wrote:
    iyaH7.gif

Coatsy is nuts !