Options

The Official Philadelphia Flyers Thread

Comments

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,741
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I stopped rooting for a playoff opponent when the Bucs beat the Eagles in the last game at the Vet. Just let it play out. I know, easier said then done.

Good point.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22; Las Vegas 5/16/24; Las Vegas 5/18/24

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    JK_Livin wrote:
    I stopped rooting for a playoff opponent when the Bucs beat the Eagles in the last game at the Vet. Just let it play out. I know, easier said then done.

Ugh...dont remind me of that game

:(
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • Options
    Homer not one of 3 finalists for GM of the Year. What a joke.

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/frequentflyers/Holmgren-not-among-GM-award-finalists.html
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    polaris_xpolaris_x Posts: 13,559

who shouldn't be on that list? ... philly has a big payroll - they are supposed to be where they are ...
  • Options
    JK_LivinJK_Livin South Jersey Posts: 7,364

Ridiculous. On another note, Bryz was so disgusted at giving up so many goals in practice today that he threw some equipment :thumbup:
    Alright, alright, alright!
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    fifefife Posts: 3,327
    polaris_x wrote:

who shouldn't be on that list? ... philly has a big payroll - they are supposed to be where they are ...[/quo

just because he had a big payroll doesn't mean that his team would win.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    just because he had a big payroll doesn't mean that his team would win.

uhhh ... ok?

i just don't see how this is some major slight ... those three gms did a great job and are well deserving of their nomination ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

who shouldn't be on that list? ... philly has a big payroll - they are supposed to be where they are ...

Isn't there a salary cap? Doesn't Toronto have a big payroll... and the longest playoff-missing streak in hockey? :lol::lol::lol:

• Options
    Isn't there a salary cap? Doesn't Toronto have a big payroll... and the longest playoff-missing streak in hockey? :lol::lol::lol:

:lol::lol:

how the cuss is that relevant at all!??

you guys have the highest payroll ...

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams

but you homers i'm sure will figure out a way to turn this around ... :lol::lol: :corn:
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

:lol::lol:

how the cuss is that relevant at all!??

http://nhlnumbers.com/teams

but you homers i'm sure will figure out a way to turn this around ... :lol::lol: :corn:

losing a top dman for the year, losing your 2 top players last year, having how many rookies play and still be 6 in the NHL.

this is not me being a homer (can i be a homer if i live in another city?) the amount of change that the Flyers saw this year would have made any team slip out of the playoffs. That is the reason why PH deserved to be nominated.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    losing a top dman for the year, losing your 2 top players last year, having how many rookies play and still be 6 in the NHL.

this is not me being a homer (can i be a homer if i live in another city?) the amount of change that the Flyers saw this year would have made any team slip out of the playoffs. That is the reason why PH deserved to be nominated.

you are seriously saying carter and richards were your top 2 players last year? :? ... your core is still there ... giroux, cobourn, briere, jvr, hartnell, carle, timonen ... you signed a goalie for how much in the off-season and he is a wildcard ...

listen - i'm not saying he didn't do a decent job but you can't say he's definitely done a better job than the 3 that got nominated ... you guys wanna say you think he should be nominated ... fine ... but to say his lack of a nomination is a joke is absurd when those that did get nominated did a great job themselves ...
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    Don't mess with
    skelator.jpg
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

So what. THERE IS A SALARY CAP. Payroll is not an issue. Flyers are always going to spend as much as they can; their owner is obsessed with getting the Cup back and the franchise is a money tree. Homer still has to deal with the cap, just like every other team.

• Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276
    Homer still has to deal with the cap, just like every other team.

he's got his work cut out for him this summer
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • Options
    So what. THERE IS A SALARY CAP. Payroll is not an issue. Flyers are always going to spend as much as they can; their owner is obsessed with getting the Cup back and the franchise is a money tree. Homer still has to deal with the cap, just like every other team.

:fp:

sooo ... despite me showing you a list that shows that nashville, fla and st. louis all managed to get into the 2nd round of the playoffs (fla is still a maybe) having spent like at least 10 mill or so less has absolutely no influence to you!?? ...

again - i will repeat ... i am not saying holmgren didn't do a good job ... but how can you say that the 3 nominations are less deserving ... please show me how those guys aren't deserving to be nominations ... so far, no one has shown me anything ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

sooo ... despite me showing you a list that shows that nashville, fla and st. louis all managed to get into the 2nd round of the playoffs (fla is still a maybe) having spent like at least 10 mill or so less has absolutely no influence to you!?? ...

again - i will repeat ... i am not saying holmgren didn't do a good job ... but how can you say that the 3 nominations are less deserving ... please show me how those guys aren't deserving to be nominations ... so far, no one has shown me anything ...

Where can you look up games missed due to injury?
    Tom O.
    "I never had any friends later on like the ones I had when I was twelve. Jesus, does anyone?"
    -The Writer
  • Options
    JK_Livin wrote:
    Where can you look up games missed due to injury?

http://www.hockey-trades.com/2012/04/nh ... -2012.html

fla, nas and st. louis all lost more games than philly ...
  • Options
    polaris_x wrote:

them paying less than 10 million less doesn't mean anything to me. just because a team has to pay less for players and wins doesn't mean that the gm did a great job.
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    them paying less than 10 million less doesn't mean anything to me. just because a team has to pay less for players and wins doesn't mean that the gm did a great job.

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ... what does it mean then? ... they got lucky? ... good grief ... again ... no one has given me a reason why holmgren, backed by an owner willing to do anything to get a cup, is a better candidate than the 3 nominated ...
  • Options
    edited April 2012
    polaris_x wrote:

All Florida did was win a lame division and they might beat a mediocre Devils team in the first round. BFD

Nashville is just getting back to where they were last year; what really changed on their team?

Obviously St. Louis has performed very well this year.

Homer ripped the team to shreds and put together a most likely better team (as long as they win one game next round).
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on

• Options
    polaris_x wrote:
    fife wrote:

:lol::lol::lol::lol: ... what does it mean then? ... they got lucky? ... good grief ... again ... no one has given me a reason why holmgren, backed by an owner willing to do anything to get a cup, is a better candidate than the 3 nominated ...

Ok can you name one move that Armstrong did THIS year to improve the team other than firing a coach? the reality is that you can't. St. Louis had a great year but most of their players were already there for the last couple of years. I would say that St. Louis year was more based on Hitchcock coaching than anything else. Do you think that Brian Elliot was great before Hitchcock came? no.

Did Armstrong have key injuries to key players this year that needed replacing? Armstrong is a good GM and has built a good team but the reality is that he didn't do anything this year that should have gotten him the nomination. i do believe that more of the credit should go to Hitchcock.
  • Options
    This is way too long between games.

So, some history, which you all know I love...

Flyers have won the NHL quarterfinals round (or Div Finals or Conf Semifinals or whatever) 16 times, which is the most in NHL history, just ahead of Montreal's 15 & Boston's 14. (I am assuming there were no quarterfinals before expansion. ;) )

Unfortunately the Flyers have lost the Semifinals (or Conf Finals) 8 times, 2nd most in the NHL since expansion (behind Chicago's 11). And they, of course, have lost 6 Finals, most in the NHL since expansion. :roll:

Such a rich history and so little hardware to show for it.

• Options
    From Twitter ...

If Devils fall tonight, Flyers have 50% chance for Florida, 25% for Capitals, 25% for Rangers. Ottawa and Boston aren't poss w/o NJ.

• Options
    From Twitter ...

If Devils fall tonight, Flyers have 50% chance for Florida, 25% for Capitals, 25% for Rangers. Ottawa and Boston aren't poss w/o NJ.

I'll just enjoy the games and wait to see who we play.

• Options
    Hartnell-Giroux-Carle-Talbot

lost some respect

All were at the Nickelback show last night

• Options

lost some respect

Nickelback is a Canadian band. I'm sure because G was on stage with them, they will be popular now.
    Tom O.
    -The Writer
  • Options
    fife wrote:
    Ok can you name one move that Armstrong did THIS year to improve the team other than firing a coach? the reality is that you can't. St. Louis had a great year but most of their players were already there for the last couple of years. I would say that St. Louis year was more based on Hitchcock coaching than anything else. Do you think that Brian Elliot was great before Hitchcock came? no.

Did Armstrong have key injuries to key players this year that needed replacing? Armstrong is a good GM and has built a good team but the reality is that he didn't do anything this year that should have gotten him the nomination. i do believe that more of the credit should go to Hitchcock.

:lol: ... i'm really not sure where to start ... :lol:

the bolded part is probably the most ridiculous comment ... forget the fact, elliot already had a shutout before hitchcock was hired or that he got a 2nd almost right after ... foget the fact that it was armstrong who made a change to hitchcock while the team was 6-7 ... hardly a disastrous record ... he signed elliot for $600k ... he brought in a group of guys that was second in the western conference this year while playing in a division with detroit, nashville and chicago ... sure, they got columbus but that is a strong division ...

listen ... i have no love/hate for the flyers or any of the teams in the playoffs ... i'm telling it like i see it ... with all the hits and everything ... i find it laughable tho that flyers fans can get up in arms just about anything tho ... :D ... again - sure, root for your gm ... say he did a better job but to say he is exclusion from the gm of the year nomination is a joke is absurd ...
  • Options
    So, does anybody else want to play in the 2nd round? :?

Anybody watch that Devils/Panthers game last night? I think the Flyers kill either of those teams.

• Options
    So, does anybody else want to play in the 2nd round? :?

Anybody watch that Devils/Panthers game last night? I think the Flyers kill either of those teams.

the only team you have to fear is boston in the east ... i know the rangers have had your number all year and they do have hank but i am pretty sure you guys can beat them in 6 ...
  • Options
    8181 Needing a ride to Forest Hills and a ounce of weed. Please inquire within. Thanks. Or not. Posts: 58,276

lost some respect

i saw that. :lol: :fp:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg