Options

Your Name Here

restlesssoulrestlesssoul Posts: 6,941
edited March 2011 in All Encompassing Trip
This has probably been done before, but I was interested in hearing about the stories behind your names. What reasons lie behind the names we have chosen? The name you wanted taken? Randomly type in a lyric from the song you are listening to at that very second?

Im the restlesssoul because im constantly shifting approaches as i get older and wanting to enjoy my youth as long as possible.

*if he only knew now, what he knew then*

...........to the gorge!
Van '98, Sea I+II '00, Sea '01, Sea II '02, Van '03, Gorge, Van, Cal, Edm '05, Bos I+II, Phi I+II, DC, SF II+III, Port, Gorge I+II '06, DC, NY I+II '08, Sea I+II, Van, Ridge , LA III+IV' 09, Indy '10, Cal, Van '11, Lond, Van, Sea '13, Memphis '14, RRHOF '17, Sea I+II '18
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    Very simply.. my bestfriends call me tina, and vedder it's because of my secret marriage with my ed!
    it's easy to confuse a great design with life's ripercussions

i'd rather die than give you control
  • Options
    Born2JamBorn2Jam Posts: 255
    My name simply states why I'm on this crazy planet.
    "This band has provided many people a soundtrack to their lives.." ~ CitizenRick
  • Options
    PissBottleManPissBottleMan Union City, TN Posts: 4,154
    PissBottleMan

1. The name used by Pearl Jam while playing a secret fan club show back in '95...PissBottleMen

2. Song by Mike Watt, formerly of fIREHOSE & The Minutemen.

PBM
    "We paced ourselves and we didn't rush through it and we tried to be as creative as our collective minds would let us be over some course of time instead of just trying to rush through a record"

Wishlist Foundation: http://wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    SquidgeSquidge Posts: 145
    A nickname from like, 10 years ago. Even some of my family use it.

Walk up the street, can't find the key....
  • Options
    Spook FishSpook Fish Posts: 241
    i got my name after an actual fish called a 'spook fish'

i got a free sticker of it in a cereal box and was mightily impressed with it's alien looks. it's one of those fish that live so deep under the ocean it glows up. check it out man, you can see all it's skeleton and shit.

i put the sticker on my acoustic guitar and its been there for about 4 years with funky little letters saying Spook Fish next to it.
    Dont take drugs and be a loser
    wear a pink shirt and go down the boozer
  • Options
    E.BloomE.Bloom Posts: 188
    My name is from the movie Big Fish, were the main character is named Edward Bloom. ;)
    we were but stones,your light made us stars

Dublin 06
    London 07
  • Options
    weedweed Posts: 475
    i smoke dope!
    :)
  • Options
    PJ : For Pearl Jam of course
    and Eddiesgurl: Because I am Ed's girl
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die,
    The in between is mine.
    I am mine.
  • Options
    It just seems like the next stop--the next logical step. Won't be long before we all have one, I guess.
    "They would have you kill all the world's children to save theirs."- Maura Kincaid
  • Options
    mariposamariposa Posts: 2,523
    1. It has something to do with my middle name. But simply because I like butterflies :p.

2. A song by the Mexican band Maná.

3. And to make my name PJ related...

"Even flow, thoughts arrive like butterflies. He don't know, so he chases them away..."

I love that line, and the way Ed does the hand movements.
    "All the strength that you might think would disappear, resolving..."
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    'Twas my great grandmother's name, may she rest in peace.

Favorite memory of my great grandma Pansy Pearl is she had a wood burning stovetop. So yes, she had to stoke up the fire to cook anything. And she would cook everybody whatever they wanted for breakfast. It didn't matter what time we got up, when we did we would just pile into the kitchen and place our order. She did this up until the last couple years of her life and she lived to be 93. I love her.
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    DavanitaDavanita Posts: 854
    Davanita because it kinda resembles my real name. i use it everywhere.. on every weblog/chatroom/whatever i am known as Davanita.
    a friend of mine even calls me Milady Davanita :D
    plus of course i just *really* love the song..
    Jon Stewart: "[about Russia's new president]...Dmitri Medevvvevv.... Dmitri Meh..... Dmitri M.! Or... as George W. Bush would probably pronounce it... Eddie Vedder."
    This is the user name I use for everything. My real name is Mark, so of course everybody calls me markymark because of that no-talent (Marky)Mark Wahlberg. Choosing the 550 is really random, but I when I first got AOL Instant Messenger, all the names using markymark that I could think of were taken so I decided to just come up with a number to stick at the end. While I was doing that I was listening to Ben Folds Five "Whatever and Ever Amen", which was recorded and distributed by 550 Music, and I looked at the back cover, saw the 550, and for some reason added that to the end of markymark. AOL accepted the name and I've been using it ever since. I don't know why, but for some reason a lot of my friends took to calling me 550 (five-fifty), which absolutely bugs me because they try to make it sound thug, and I am about the farthest thing there is from thug.
  • Options
    AndurilAnduril Posts: 56
    its the sword of the elessar - aragorn - in lord of the rings, flame of the west!
    I am the end of all your dreams...
  • Options
    my name was inspired by.....stone
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    cat72cat72 Oxford, MA Posts: 2,992
    totally unoriginal first initial and first three of last name.

Stone, eh?
  • Options
    GarnerGarner Posts: 182
    It's my first name.....Garner
    Barry Bonds is innocent
  • Options
    twin2twin2 Posts: 894
    I have an identical twin sister and I was the second one born (3 minutes later).
  • Options
    cause stone's_the_man just doesnt quite fit....
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."
  • Options
    I got this from my friend one day... he notices that I have Electronic everything and called me a Techno Junkie... I was like what the hell does that mean... I am not a fan of techno LoL... and he was like no "Technology Jukie"... He was like "You couldn't live with out all this shit" and I thought about it and it was true... and the name sounded cool... So when I became a member here I decided on that name because I noticed a lot of people have names that have something to do with Pearl Jam and well... i couldn't think of anything else original... it suits me :)
    Nobody sits like this rock sits. You rock, rock. The rock just sits and is. You show us how to just sit here and that's what we need.
  • Options
    AliAli Posts: 2,621
    weed wrote:
    i smoke dope!

Funny...

mine's my nickname cause I'm such a pain in the ass!!!!!
    Kudos for me!!!!!!
    A whisper and a thrill
    A whisper and a chill
    adv2005

"Why do I bother?"
    The 11th Commandment.
    "Whatever"

PETITION TO STOP THE BAN OF SMOKING IN BARS IN THE UNITED STATES....Anyone?
  • Options
    DeeveDeeve Posts: 122
    I used to BBS back in the olden days.

I logged onto one for the first time and needed an alias. I used to put MrX whenever I got a high score on a video game. MrX was taken so I had to come up with a new name.

I used to REALLY be into a band called Meat Beat Manifesto. At the time, a fairly current EP had a song called DV8. I love that track and it was 3 letters and easy to remember, plus it was kind of relevant cause I was a little different than everyone else :) I had a mohawk, skateboarded and listened to industrial music and techno (keep in mind this was the EARLY 90's).

Anyways. I met my future wife through a BBS that we were both on. About a year later, her brother (who was also on them) called me Deeve (Short for DV8). He and his friends all called each other by their online aliases when in person, true geek....

Since then Deeve stuck. Really I started using it cause I got tired of explaining DV8. Now I really just have more explaining to do....

The really bizarre thing was when I bought last car, my wife tried to get me a vanity plate "DEEVE". It was taken.... WTF!!! When I bought my last motorcycle she tried to get me that plate as well... TAKEN! WTF! Deeve. Who the fuck else uses that?
    "Lick the dirt off Olajuwon's feet"
  • Options
    I picked it randomly from the song I had in my head some day that I was going to start a new e-mail , it was London's Burning, in the lyrics it is "London's burning with boredom now London's burning dial 99999" but no e-mail server accepted "dial". Guess I just liked it so much that I use it for everything now :)
    "look in my eyes deep and watch the clouds change with time"
  • Options
    weed wrote:
    i smoke dope!

haha that's the best! :D
    "look in my eyes deep and watch the clouds change with time"
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i chose mine after carefully weighing my options and came up with the brilliant idea that is my username.

and so did many others, including an exact duplicate that doesn't use spaces.
  • Options
    wakeupscreaming is a song covered by another of my favourite bands; the queens of the stone age. i forgot from which band they´ve covered it.
    it´s an unreleased track (only released on vinyl), and sung in this version by nick olivieri. i just thought i should take this name because there are so many people taking pj songs as names, just a special one.
    i hurt myself today,
    to see if i still feel,
    i focus all the pain,
    the only thing that´s real...
  • Options
    PHATJPHATJ Posts: 348
    PHATJ

I think it speaks for itself:)
    "I'll Ride the wave where it takes me. I'll Hold the pain. RELEASE ME!"

• Options
    darthvedder88darthvedder88 Posts: 1,023
    Darth: Because I'm a sith lord and I love Star Wars.
    Vedder: Greatest muscian on the planet.
    88: The year I was born.
    "Darth Vader would say 'Impressive'."

-Eddie Vedder

6/24/06 Cincinatti, Ohio
    6/14/08 Manchester, Tennessee
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    nevermind
  • Options
    Given to Fly as special significance for me. I feel I was "Delivered Wings" at the San Diego concert in 2000. The "Fanview" I wrote after the 2003 San Diego concert will explain everything. Here it is....

Natasha:

I just want to say thank you to the band for an AMAZING night. I saw them in San Diego in 2000 and during Given to Fly, I had a moment of clarity. I was in an extremely destructive marriage and during the song I knew my life would change...an overwhelming feeling of happiness came over me, I knew I deserved to be happy (odd, I know, but when you are in a bad situation, you would be surprised what you think). I knew I was free...didn't know how I was going to do it, but I knew everything was going to be okay. 2 months later I was out of the marriage.

One year (almost to the date) I met the love of my life and it was our love of Pearl Jam that brought us together...that was the clincher. Two similar souls AND we both love Pearl Jam...UNBELIEVABLE!

Nonetheless...when the San Diego concert came around this year I hoped...NO prayed that Pearl Jam would play Given to Fly. Full circle sort of thing you know? Our friends who went to both Irvine shows told me not to get my hopes up as they had played it consecutively prior to the San Diego show. I noted their warning but knew I would hear it...everything about my life the last 3 years has been a series of serendipitous occurrences.

When the concert opened with the audience singing Betterman...I knew I was in for it. This was a special night. The energy was not of this earth...completely surreal. Do the Evolution came next (one of our favorites) and me and my boyfriend Eric looked at each other with an "Uh-oh" sort of expression. Then 2 songs later what happens???

Given to Fly...

Yep, there it was. I began to cry. Eric hugged me and we danced for a moment. BEAUTIFUL. Our friends told us they saw us from the 4th row (we were in L12...above the floor) they were so happy for us. We were happy for us. : )

Other highlights for us were Daughter with the People Have the Power tag, Crazy Mary (one word: BOOM!), Blue Red and Grey and as if the night could get any better...

ARC!!!!!!!!!!!

I was fairly certain I was going to spontaneously combust...I didn't, all's well. I do wish the audience would have kept quiet for ARC though, Ed seemed to be getting irritated that some wouldn't shut up. It was still beyond belief and I am honored to have been a part of it.

I know this fanview is a bit unusual...I needed to impart the gravity of the experience.

Thank you to Pearl Jam for sharing their love with us that night....I am forever grateful.

Peace, Love and Pearl Jam to everyone...
    Natasha
    Be Sound...