so i caught this spider...

Comments

• Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    here is a funnel web:

http://www.csiro.au/resources/FunnelwebSpiderFacts.html

here is a white tip:

http://www.australian.museum/factsheets/white_tailed_spider.htm

and heres my little pretty(though not my exact one cause im shit with technology) :)

http://www.usq.edu.au/spider/find/spiders/504.htm

Yeah, I had a look here and posted this link a couple of pages back.

http://www.austmus.gov.au/factsheets/funnelweb.htm

The one on the left half way down the page looked like a possibility.

But I agree with Zenith, it's probably a white tail.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    illegal pantsillegal pants Posts: 13,471
    What if you thought it had starved to death but was just napping or put itself into some kind of shutdown until you moved the dvd case, then.....BAM!

:eek:

wah
  • Options
    ozsmalltowngirlozsmalltowngirl Posts: 14,362

Kylie's suggested Mortein-ing the floor near it then moving the case over it...
    Never fails :D
    I either do that or suck them up with the vacuum and then spray fly spray down the vacumm while it's still going and leave it going for a while....to be sure!!
  • Options
    nope. pink chalk cause zoe aged 9 attends the university of pink. and she was the culprit who chucked the chalk. :D

cute :D

why chalk though?!
    wah
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dear lord IP. sounds like much ado about nothing. :p:D slide a piece of cardboard/thin book under the container and with your hand under the whole shebang transport the thing outside and dump it on the verge near the road. then run squealing back inside and have a stiff drink to calm your frazzled nerves. :p out of sight, out of mind. :D
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Never fails :D
    I either do that or suck them up with the vacuum and then spray fly spray down the vacumm while it's still going and leave it going for a while....to be sure!!

vacuum + mortein

dear gawd

can't be too careful? ;)
    wah
  • Options
    tits on a bull - L M A O

what an ordeal Jeanie.. :o i think i may need a few jimmy beams before i start :eek:

:D Well they are useless. :p

Just don't get too tipsy before you start.

I find my fight flight response kicks in pretty quick and I'm like a seek and destroy missile until I've completely anihilated the threat.

I feel like a total idiot because the force used to kill them is a thousand times more than what is required by yeah, maybe I should get someone to videotape it next time I do it? It's really something to see. :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    dear lord IP. sounds like much ado about nothing. :p:D slide a piece of cardboard/thin book under the container and with your hand under the whole shebang transport the thing outside and dump it on the verge near the road. then run squealing back inside and have a stiff drink to calm your frazzled nerves. :p out of sight, out of mind. :D

yes.. this has dragged on quite too much, yes?

i'm off to do..

something
    wah
  • Options
    cute :D

why chalk though?!

knowing zoe she probably figured the chalk wouldnt hurt the spider but maybe just scare it enough to take off. she certainly knows i wouldnt have appproved if she had killed it.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    vacuum + mortein

dear gawd

can't be too careful? ;)
    ABSOLUTELY!!! You knew about my fear of spiders before you got bitten.....after what you went through, it is my mission to eliminate all spiders on our property!! :eek: and I must be sure they're not tricking me!
    Same goes for the ones I can't reach and have to just spray....they must be white and dripping from spray before I put the can down....but whenever I catch one like you've done....it's always spray a white blob of fly spray on the floor next to the container and the slide the container over the blob of spray.
    Show no mercy babe....this could be the little bastard that got you not long ago!!
  • Options
    ABSOLUTELY!!! You knew about my fear of spiders before you got bitten.....after what you went through, it is my mission to eliminate all spiders on our property!! :eek: and I must be sure they're not tricking me!
    Same goes for the ones I can't reach and have to just spray....they must be white and dripping from spray before I put the can down....but whenever I catch one like you've done....it's always spray a white blob of fly spray on the floor next to the container and the slide the container over the blob of spray.
    Show no mercy babe....this could be the little bastard that got you not long ago!!

:D:D:D Glad I'm not the only one!!!!

Hairspray is handy if there's no fly spray around. :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Super VedderSuper Vedder Posts: 1,531
    dear lord IP. sounds like much ado about nothing. :p:D slide a piece of cardboard/thin book under the container and with your hand under the whole shebang transport the thing outside and dump it on the verge near the road. then run squealing back inside and have a stiff drink to calm your frazzled nerves. :p out of sight, out of mind.

Yeah but it will see her running off and run back after her for revenge won't it???? :D

Christ this makes me glad i live in the uk (almost), i get annoyed having a fly or two buzzing about the house let alone killer spiders!!! :eek:
    Black, the greatest without a doubt........
  • Options
    Rock onRock on Posts: 216
    Before you kill it or move it, make a female decoy out of something fuzzy, insert it and see what happens. :p
  • Options
    Yeah but it will see her running off and run back after her for revenge won't it???? :D

Of course it will!!! WITH friends and family!! :eek:
  • Options

Yes! That's why it's always a good idea to have the back up thong!
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    Yes! That's why it's always a good idea to have the back up thong!

im guessing the thong you keep mentioning is like a flip flop and not a pair of knickers :D

Ha ha imagine trying to swat a spider to death with a pair of knickers, hee hee hee
  • Options
    Rock on wrote:
    Before you kill it or move it, make a female decoy out of something fuzzy, insert it and see what happens. :p

:rolleyes: Don't just stand there playing silly games and toying with it, KILL THE BASTARD would ya? ;):D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    im guessing the thong you keep mentioning is like a flip flop and not a pair of knickers :D

Ha ha imagine trying to swat a spider to death with a pair of knickers, hee hee hee

This is not Tom Jones! :p It's a spider! :D Of course I mean THONGS, not a g-string! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    zenithzenith Posts: 3,191
    Jeanie wrote:
    Oh that sounds hideous!!!!! :eek: :(

I'm pathological about shaking out my shoes before I put them on. AND I never leave shoes outside. But then I'm forever spraying barrier spray all around the house and all the possible entry point anyway.

Did it take long to recover zenith? That would be just awful I reckon.

it hurt like hell for 24hours or so, then stung for days, although the salt water helped - and i still have the mark on my foot. When i got home i had to get a course of antibiotics because as my gp said 'spiders are grubby little buggers'

its funny, cos when it first started biting me i really just thought it was a thistle or something in my shoe - and then i pulled up at mcdonalds to get the kids some breakie, and my whole leg had started to throb, so i pulled off my shoe and lo! heres this bloody red back, by now squished between my toes!

so i went up to the local hospital - the doc said my lymph glands had started to swell, hence the pain going up my leg - he whacked me on an ecg and my heart rate wasnt up too much, and as i said i lied about the pain scale. He could tell i wanted to go, so he gave me some panadeine fortes, and told me if i started getting shakey or headachey to stop....

i have a bit of an advantage of working in a hospital, i knew what symptoms to lie about - or disadvantage because i know what to expect - but unless you have a really unusual reaction a red back bit is just a lot of sweating and pain. The last guy in our a&e had 3 shots of anti-veneen and still screamed like a baby - so i guess my pain threshold is right up there :rolleyes:
    impatience is a gift ........
  • Options

Christ this makes me glad i live in the uk (almost), i get annoyed having a fly or two buzzing about the house let alone killer spiders!!! :eek:

no it'll be too busy shaking some sense into itself after being flung out of the container and dropping several feet onto the grass. by the time its got all 8 legs in gear, IP will be gone like the wind. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:
    This is not Tom Jones! :p It's a spider! :D Of course I mean THONGS, not a g-string! :D

righty dokey then, just wanted to clear that up :cool:

right, that's the spider killing covered let's get to the g-string talk :D
  • Options

heh at the picture of flicking the spider with frilly undies

and why why why or should i say, how do you call thongs flip flops. flip flops. is such a stupid word!!!!!!
  • Options
    zenith wrote:
    it hurt like hell for 24hours or so, then stung for days, although the salt water helped - and i still have the mark on my foot. When i got home i had to get a course of antibiotics because as my gp said 'spiders are grubby little buggers'

its funny, cos when it first started biting me i really just thought it was a thistle or something in my shoe - and then i pulled up at mcdonalds to get the kids some breakie, and my whole leg had started to throb, so i pulled off my shoe and lo! heres this bloody red back, by now squished between my toes!

so i went up to the local hospital - the doc said my lymph glands had started to swell, hence the pain going up my leg - he whacked me on an ecg and my heart rate wasnt up too much, and as i said i lied about the pain scale. He could tell i wanted to go, so he gave me some panadeine fortes, and told me if i started getting shakey or headachey to stop....

i have a bit of an advantage of working in a hospital, i knew what symptoms to lie about - or disadvantage because i know what to expect - but unless you have a really unusual reaction a red back bit is just a lot of sweating and pain. The last guy in our a&e had 3 shots of anti-veneen and still screamed like a baby - so i guess my pain threshold is right up there :rolleyes:

Yep!!! :D Australia, where women are gutsy and blokes are sheilas! :D

Sounds pretty awful girl, but I'm glad you're ok. :) Did they give you any anti venom? Just curious.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    righty dokey then, just wanted to clear that up :cool:

right, that's the spider killing covered let's get to the g-string talk :D

:rolleyes: Men! :D
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Jeanie wrote:
    Watch it!
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    Zenith wrote:
    and why why why or should i say, how do you call thongs flip flops. flip flops. is such a stupid word!!!!!!

Errrrrrrrrr i dunno, perhaps its cos of the noise they make when ya walk in em :confused:
  • Options
    no it'll be too busy shaking some sense into itself after being flung out of the container and dropping several feet onto the grass. by the time its got all 8 legs in gear, IP will be gone like the wind. :)
    that's if she manages to throw it properly......if it was me - I'd be in such an unco-ordinated panick, I'd prolly throw it straight up in the air, only to have it land on my head......then I'd just die of a heart attack, so thankfully wouldn't feel it bight me :eek:
  • Options
    ok...

i thought about cutting the spider some slack and throwing it into the backyard of the neighbours i don't like

but...

then i remember the pain i went through last February

so...

it took 3 flushes, i'm so sorry, i know we need to conserve water but, i think adrenaline took over and i just wanted it gone...

however...

i gave it a nice send-off

http://img184.imageshack.us/img184/8045/img2732lu2.jpg

i'm off for a few shots of ouzo
    wah
  • Options
    Hinny wrote:
    Watch it!

Yes I do, quite often. :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Jeanie wrote:

Sounds pretty awful girl, but I'm glad you're ok. :) Did they give you any anti venom? Just curious.

no - they'll only give it if you have a real need for it - elevated heart rate - shakes, dizziness, extreme pain. Note tho: different peoples idea of pain are a bit different .....

you can also have a reaction to the antivenene itself. and like i said i lied about my pain scale, i think i said it was a 4 when really it was probably an 8 out of 10. my heart rate didnt go up.

all in all, it wsnt that bad - and im damned spider phobic - i still dont check my shoes tho :rolleyes: