>>Australian Football League Thread<<

Comments

• olderman wrote:
    they show some NHL games on the HD channels here .. it makes a big difference as you can easily follow the puck, however, there is nothing like watching ice hockey in person .. it's truly exciting. there has been some talk about bringing an NHL team to KC, but i don't think that it will happen.. unfortunately, we now have an AFL team. no, not Aussie Football, instead it's Arena Football. a bastardized version of american football played on a hockey flat without the ice.. i've come to think it might be interesting with the ice. HA!

Just prey that there is gonna be heaps of fights in Arena Football in the misery city!
    Wave came crashing...
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    Just prey that there is gonna be heaps of fights in Arena Football in the misery city!

hehe like in the international rules thing against ireland... half of their guys would still be wondering what hit them now!
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
  • U-R wrote:
    hehe like in the international rules thing against ireland... half of their guys would still be wondering what hit them now!

Chrissy Johnson gave them a belting!!
    Even though I despise him when Richmond plays against him I had to barrack for him when he played in the Gaelic game
    Wave came crashing...
  • Swans find positives in LA
    12:09:08 PM Mon 16 January, 2006
    Angus Morgan
    Sportal for afl.com.au

The Sydney Swans were a little disappointed with the result but generally pleased with the experience following the 48-point loss to the Kangaroos in the special exhibition match at UCLA in Los Angeles.

Most importantly, the players made it through relatively unscathed with only a couple of minor injuries, according to assistant coach Ross Lyon.

Led by Brady Rawlings, the Kangaroos held sway throughout the contest played in mild, breezy conditions on a playing surface roughly the same size as the SCG.

A five-goal second term was telling for the Kangaroos, who also managed three majors in the third quarter while holding the 2005 AFL premiers, captained by Jude Bolton, to a single point in that period before cruising to a 13.8 (86) to 6.2 (38) victory.

"We got smacked, really," Lyon said.

"A 48-point loss was probably not unexpected. They were young too but they didn't have the amount of young rookies and draftees playing that we had.

"We weren't unhappy with the way our boys competed and carried out instructions. We just wish we had used the ball a little better and been a bit smarter with our accountability."

Speaking from the after-match barbeque, Lyon said there had been plenty of positives to come from the exercise.

"As an experience for young players to come to a different country and get a taste for their culture and have a look around at a city like LA, it's been fantastic," he said.

"It helps develop their life skills and because we have so many young players at the club, they've spent a bit more time with the senior players than they normally would have.

"Going forward we think that's going to be a real bonus.

"To come to LA and play a game of Australian Rules footy, it's a great promotion for the game and as a club it brings us together and hopefully brings us some stimulus into the new season."

Lyon said Nick Malceski suffered a corked thigh and Sean Dempster corked his shoulder, but otherwise the Swans were none the worse for wear.

And he made special mention of the efforts of a couple of rookies.

"Kristin Thornton played really well on the half-back line. He really stood out as a young kid and played really well," he said.

"Paul Currie kicked three goals - he played forward out of the goalsquare. He's about six-foot three from the Northern Knights and played quite well, caught a couple of good balls."

Lyon said the playing group was looking forward to an evening out at a special INXS concert mindful that there's a recovery session scheduled for 0600 the following morning.

"There is a balance still. They are professional athletes, they've got to recover and look after themselves but at the same time they can enjoy the music of INXS."

> Swannies still hungover from September! hehe
    Wave came crashing...
  • bigmuzzbigmuzz Posts: 299
    U-R wrote:
    anybody watch the 20/20 cricket game last night? what a circus. entertaining to watch but i can't see 20/20 becoming a viable and widely-played form of cricket in the long-term, day/night games are what cricket's about

20/20's..........it's just not cricket.....its a spectacle, nothing more

its a game for mothers and kids with A.D.D.

it'll never take over.....the bowlers must really hate playing them.......

give me a test match any day (5 in a row even :P )
    Sydney Wed 8 Nov 2006....

when all are one and one is all, to be a rock and not to roll.........

see me @ www.myspace.com/bigmuzz

keep on rockin!.......
    fights, brawls, biffs!

sorry, but i dont think i've ever seen anything in AFL resembling a real fight, brawl or biff..............you push a guy over in AFL and get a week suspension......

thats the biggest thing i hate about AFL (i'm not having a go at AFL, i still enjoy watching the occasional game of it).......and i hate how the NRL is trying to also go down that path.....

just because some people dont like to see violence in sport......why do they bother watching it? what did they expect to see?

i'll stop ranting now.........

PS Bring on the 2006 seasons.........

keep on rockin!.......
  • U-RU-R Posts: 223
    bigmuzz wrote:
    20/20's..........it's just not cricket.....its a spectacle, nothing more

its a game for mothers and kids with A.D.D.

it'll never take over.....the bowlers must really hate playing them.......

give me a test match any day (5 in a row even :P )

tests are a bit of an insomnia cure... i mean really, playing for 5 days and still not getting a result?!

20/20 is a publicity stunt and a cash grab imo, so day/nighters are the middle ground. a sweltering night in melbourne, a full house at the mcg, australia chasing (and almost invariably getting) a massive total under lights... that's what cricket's about ;)

note: did you find it almost refreshing that we actually lost a game the other night? i did
    if you love somebody, set them free. if somebody loves you, don't fuck up
    U-R wrote:
    tests are a bit of an insomnia cure... i mean really, playing for 5 days and still not getting a result?!

20/20 is a publicity stunt and a cash grab imo, so day/nighters are the middle ground. a sweltering night in melbourne, a full house at the mcg, australia chasing (and almost invariably getting) a massive total under lights... that's what cricket's about ;)

note: did you find it almost refreshing that we actually lost a game the other night? i did

yeah, i tend to find tho that i only really watch the last hour or so of a day/nighter......thats when it actually starts to get exciting....

i was happy for south africa to finally win a game.....and its good to see aussies lose once in a while, makes it a more interesting and exciting series.

i like test matches, you just leave the tv on mute all day, and play music and do whatever and go back every hour or so to check up on scores, and if someone is goin heaps well u stay and watch for awhile.

keep on rockin!.......
  • bigmuzz wrote:
    sorry, but i dont think i've ever seen anything in AFL resembling a real fight, brawl or biff..............you push a guy over in AFL and get a week suspension......

thats the biggest thing i hate about AFL (i'm not having a go at AFL, i still enjoy watching the occasional game of it).......and i hate how the NRL is trying to also go down that path.....

just because some people dont like to see violence in sport......why do they bother watching it? what did they expect to see?

i'll stop ranting now.........

PS Bring on the 2006 seasons.........

did u miss the hawthorn v essendon brawl in 2004????

I think it was essendon.
    Richie Vandenberg got 6 weeks.
    Wave came crashing...
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,707
    >>Australian Football League Thread<<

So do we have any people in the Pearl Jam Forum who follow the AFL???

Used to when I was a kid .. but not anymore cause I now live in Sydney.
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

• E.K wrote:
    Used to when I was a kid .. but not anymore cause I now live in Sydney.

Don't u support the Swans??
    Wave came crashing...
  • VONVON Posts: 259
    Look at this thread! Its not even footy season. I think we've all got some AFL withdrawel syptom issues.
  • VON wrote:
    Look at this thread! Its not even footy season. I think we've all got some AFL withdrawel syptom issues.

I've just started pre-saeson training VON. I'm itching to have a kick!
    Wave came crashing...
    I've just started pre-saeson training VON. I'm itching to have a kick!

Footy isnt the same without the mud and rain in winter though.
  • VON wrote:
    Footy isnt the same without the mud and rain in winter though.

who do u follow VON?
    which team?
    tell me its the Tigers
    Wave came crashing...
    who do u follow VON?
    which team?
    tell me its the Tigers

Sorry to disapoint but....
    GEELONG!!! Go the cats!!
  • U-R wrote:
    the grandfinal was a joke by the way! the eagles were premiers '05 in my book, sydney don't play footy, i don't know what you'd call it but it ain't footy

hehe go the swannies!! :D

na, actually not really a big afl fan...more league and cricket but glad Sri Lanka beat SA yesti though...hope its a close/closer series for a change :cool:
    I like our socks. I hear we make a fine sock. I always say, You might not love our records, but I think you'll like our socks. - Stoney G.

http://www.myspace.com/ozbeachbum

7/11/06 - Sydney 1
    18/11/06 - Sydney 3
    19/11/06 - Newcastle Baby!
  • VON wrote:
    Sorry to disapoint but....
    GEELONG!!! Go the cats!!

ah I remember now!
    Jimmy Bartel and James Kelly are legends.
    Wave came crashing...
  • E.KE.K Posts: 7,707
    Don't u support the Swans??

No sorry, I don't follow any type of footy now.
    Sydney, Australia - March 12, 1998; Sydney, Australia - February 14, 2003; Sydney, Australia - November 8, 2006; Sydney, Australia - November 25, 2006;  Brisbane, Australia - November, 2009; Gold Coast, Australia - January, 2014

did u miss the hawthorn v essendon brawl in 2004????

I think it was essendon.
    Richie Vandenberg got 6 weeks.

i saw the huge "melee" it was all over the news.........but it was pure shiite.

he got 6 weeks for nothing.

THAT was my whole point...their suspensions are ridiculously long for the most trivial things.

keep on rockin!.......
  • bigmuzz wrote:
    i saw the huge "melee" it was all over the news.........but it was pure shiite.

he got 6 weeks for nothing.

THAT was my whole point...their suspensions are ridiculously long for the most trivial things.

pure shiite?
    it was a great melee
    do u play football big muzz?
    Wave came crashing...
  • i played Aussie Rules last season for the first time
    I live in NZ
    There is a small following here, we made it to the finals and lost by 3 points after being down 66 to 27 at the start of the last quarter lol . :P

TBH i didnt think much of the game before i played it, we dotn get much Tv coverage here, but it was fun :)
    Run to the hills
    run for your life
  • i played Aussie Rules last season for the first time
    I live in NZ
    There is a small following here, we made it to the finals and lost by 3 points after being down 66 to 27 at the start of the last quarter lol . :P

TBH i didnt think much of the game before i played it, we dotn get much Tv coverage here, but it was fun :)

Your team nearly pulled off a miraculous last quarter comeback!
    Wave came crashing...
  • Brown's focus on round one
    11:40:39 AM Wed 25 January, 2006
    Angus Morgan
    Sportal for afl.com.au

Mercurial forward Nathan Brown remains hopeful of taking his place in the Tigers line-up for the opening round clash against the Western Bulldogs.

Brown, whose 2005 season was cut short by a nasty broken leg suffered against Melbourne in round 10, remains on a restricted program.

At training at Victoria Park on Wednesday morning, Brown joined in the warm-ups before moving aside to work on his goalkicking while the rest of the squad engaged in simulated match practice using the entire ground.

After half-an-hour he retired to the massage table for some physiotherapy on his calf, ankle and achilles.

Brown said he's been taking it easy on Wednesdays to keep him fresh for the club's Monday and Friday training runs.

"Hopefully over the next month or so I will be able to step it up to three full sessions, but at the moment two sessions is a helluva lot more than I've been doing," he said.

"It's been a long, long road so far, but I'm looking forward to hopefully getting back in round one."

Brown told Sport 927 he would take part in the NAB Cup only if the Tigers happened to make the Grand Final, but would look to get involved in practice matches heading into the season proper.

"I would like to play a half and then a full game before round one. I'm not going to go into round one without footy under my belt," he said.

Veteran defenders Mark Chaffey - who will be awarded life membership of the club at the Richmond AGM to be held tonight - and Darren Gaspar and youngster Richard Tambling joined Brown on the sidelines during match practice, where there was little body contact and the focus was on hitting targets.

Chris Newman, skipper Kane Johnson, Joel Bowden and Shane Tuck were standouts during the session.

> go you tigers!!!!!!
    Wave came crashing...
  • hey footy, cool... i never realised this thread was here!!!
    will definatley b posting more here during the comin year...

go the crows!!! :D
    +--+-Official Upcoming Australasian Tour: Member No.5-+--+
    ~~~~~http://www.myspace.com/breakerfallpj~~~~~

YieldInHiding: "RED DOT is an intermission...not "filler." I hate that word. Filler is what's in a Twinkie."

once the season fires up this thread should be cranking!
    Wave came crashing...
    pure shiite?
    it was a great melee
    do u play football big muzz?

i played league for 8 years, so maybe i am a bit biased........

the only time i played AFL was for school teams....and i made it to regional without even knowing how to play the game, that was pretty funny......

i mainly made it i think because im fairly big and can kick a pretty long way...other than that i had no idea what i was supposed to do

but i know how to play the game now, after actually watching a couple of games over the last few years :)

keep on rockin!.......
  • bigmuzz wrote:
    i played league for 8 years, so maybe i am a bit biased........

the only time i played AFL was for school teams....and i made it to regional without even knowing how to play the game, that was pretty funny......

i mainly made it i think because im fairly big and can kick a pretty long way...other than that i had no idea what i was supposed to do

but i know how to play the game now, after actually watching a couple of games over the last few years :)

lol...nice...I can only kick about 40-45 metres but my best asset is my handballing.
    I take it you can bomb them over 50 metres?
    Wave came crashing...

i hadn't seen it before either. good thread though.

and yes, go Crows!
  • footy is the best game ever! I hadn't even heard of it until I went to live in Melbourne in '03 for a year...now I can't get enough of it. I was a Saints member when I was there, I think I went to 11 games...

Now I play in the USAFL, and it's good fun. I play for the Denver Bulldogs, and we're 5 time National Champs!

06 is the year of the Saints by the way...just gotta get the boys healthy come finals time.
    "The whole world will be different soon"