Most overrated comedians ever

Comments

• Mitchell And Fucking Webb.

They confuse me up good.:confused: Peep Show was pure genius, but I'm not sure how much of it was them, and how much of it was the writers. After the Magicians, and the Mitchell And Web Sketch Show or whatever, I was ready to write them off... but then I saw David Mitchell doing the rounds on the BBC panel shows, and he had me in stitches. So, yeah, probably over-rated, but David Mitchell is funny.:)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • They confuse me up good.:confused: Peep Show was pure genius, but I'm not sure how much of it was them, and how much of it was the writers. After the Magicians, and the Mitchell And Web Sketch Show or whatever, I was ready to write them off... but then I saw David Mitchell doing the rounds on the BBC panel shows, and he had me in stitches. So, yeah, probably over-rated, but David Mitchell is funny.:)

They are good personalities, and good actors, but they can't write for shit.

Peep Show wasn't written by them, and yes, it's genius. Mitchell and Webb Look IS, and I would cut down nearly all of their sketches by about 3 or 4 minutes.
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
  • They are good personalities, and good actors, but they can't write for shit.

Peep Show wasn't written by them, and yes, it's genius. Mitchell and Webb Look IS, and I would cut down nearly all of their sketches by about 3 or 4 minutes.

I think that's the problem - they can be off-the-cuff funny, but it doesn't translate well into screenwriting. But at least we agree that Peep Show is genius.:D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • KosmicJelliKosmicJelli Posts: 1,855
    Carrot Top and/or Emo Phillips
  • Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,843
    Jerry Seinfeld

I liked the show some what but don't like his stand-up

I saw him live in 2006 and he was hilarious.
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden, 2024Philly 2

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Jeremy1012 wrote:
    You disgust me richard :)

Bill was actually a massively underrated comedian. People seem to only really know his later stuff when he was vaguely well-known, when he was more concerned with spoken-word tours about politics and social satire (which I also love. I think he did it with passion and a vision, not because he was sanctimonious). His earlier stuff shows a brilliant sense of comic timing and very well written material. Saying he was too opinionated is ridiculous, you sound like a Dane Cook fan: "I don't wanna have to like, think when I watch comedy". Of course he had a mullet, he was a texan in the 80s.

Bill had a unique passion that was often unpleasant, sometimes infuriating, sometimes made him sound like a preachy, sad, twisted man, which he was. He was also possessed. Every time I listen to Rant in E Minor I feel like he was the only person in comedy who saw it's potential to try and make people laugh and disagree with him at the same time.

but anyway, here is some of his FUNNY stuff. The ending is strangely poetic and disgusting at the same time too :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C99eZY4V5w8&feature=related

I think the most underrated comedian is Stewart Lee, a man I will be seeing on the 28th :)
    This clip is still funny having seen it about 50 times. His style is very slow, he builds a joke over about 10 minutes so you need to pay attention but he is so funny.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5yWjr1Rkzk

I agree. Bill Hicks was amazing. No one has even come close to replacing him.

I'm going to have to go with Dane Cook...too stupid, Dennis Leary....to anal and Dennis Miller....to dry and full of it.
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Bill Hicks was to "thinking comedy" what Ani diFranco is to modern poetry.

Agreed here....both top notch brilliance!
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • Agreed here....both top notch brilliance!

Now that's funny! :D
  • Ugh, I just thought of twin evils. French and Saunders.
  • Ugh, I just thought of twin evils. French and Saunders.
    I liked them!

they were funny to me... :o
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Now that's funny! :D

We can't all agree on everything. :)

Seems you're the only one who has expressed dislike for Hicks in this entire thread. ;) And I can understand how his style might not be for everyone.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Lee Fucking Evans. :mad:

Just not funny. Ever. At all.
  • PorchsitterPorchsitter Posts: 1,069
    Hicks?! Really? Hmmm....To place Hicks over someone like Cook or Mencia in respect to being the most overrated comic ever is completely laughable. And as far as being sanctimonious, you might as well add someone like Carlin as well.
    We are the facilitators of our own creative evolution.--Bill Hicks
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    you might as well add someone like Carlin as well.
    BOO this man!

Carlin is hilarious!
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
    sgossard3 wrote:
    BOO this man!

Carlin is hilarious!

Don't misunderstand what I was saying there. I'm not disparaging Carlin in any way. I'm just saying that if you lump Hicks in with being sanctimonious, Carlin would have to be in that group as well.
  • Hicks just isn't funny.

Now, THIS is funny:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osrvcsxyp4g

:D
  • Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Lame Cook, Jerry Seinfeld, Will Ferrell, Larry the Cable Guy, and Jeff Foxworthy should never be permitted to step out in front of a live audience again.

My Faves : Lenny Bruce . I have several album re-releases .I love listening to his commentary on the times he lived in. So damn edgy and ahead of his time. Richard Pryor and Chris Rock honorable mention on the fave list. Can't wait to see Chris Rock at Bonnaroo.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Blind3 wrote:
    Lame Cook, Jerry Seinfeld, Will Ferrell, Larry the Cable Guy, and Jeff Foxworthy should never be permitted to step out in front of a live audience again.

My Faves : Lenny Bruce . I have several album re-releases .I love listening to his commentary on the times he lived in. So damn edgy and ahead of his time. Richard Pryor and Chris Rock honorable mention on the fave list. Can't wait to see Chris Rock at Bonnaroo.

Bruce was the real deal.
    Hicks just isn't funny.

To each his own, I suppose.
  • EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Actually, your Dad just made me laugh! :) No offense.

Gee...thanks :(
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • BibbsBibbs Posts: 229
    Bruce was the real deal.

I couldn't agree more. I love Lenny Bruce.

I have a severe disdain for Lenny Henry though. :D
    ••• Immortality •••
    www.myspace.com/kosmicjelli
  • EddiEEddiE Posts: 125
    Lenny Bruce....is not afraid....
    Paris 7/11/96
    Manchester 4/6/00
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Lee Fucking Evans. :mad:

Just not funny. Ever. At all.
    Saw him 13 years ago in a small venue. He was brilliant. Think he's washed up now.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Krusty the Klown. Terrible delivery.
  • Bibbs wrote:

I have a severe disdain for Lenny Henry though. :D

God, he's dire. He wasn't quite as bad on Tiswas, but after that, he went on that Three of a Kind show with Tracey Ullman and David Copperfield (not the Dickensian character or the magician, some other bloke in dungarees). It was all downhill from there.

Perhaps the most technically skilled comedian of all time was Hancock, but he was no good after he split with Galton and Simpson. Peter Cook and Spike Milligan were very hit and miss, but when each was on form, they were hilarious.

The great Spike:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-IU-NQ8c14
  • nuffingman wrote:
    Saw him 13 years ago in a small venue. He was brilliant. Think he's washed up now.

Washed up in a flood of his own sweat?;)
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    Dane Cook and Jay Leno
  • SwanSwan Posts: 350
    If no one thinks Dane Cook if funny, how the hell did he become famous?
    I'm the only Hell Mama ever raised.
  • Kilgore_TroutKilgore_Trout Posts: 7,334
    Swan wrote:
    i often wonder this myself... ive come across a few people that think hes funny tho... i woudlve asked them why but i usually prefer to end the conversation right then... he sold out MSG back-to-back nights so theres obviously quite a few
    "Senza speme vivemo in disio"

http://seanbriceart.com/
  • roarroar Posts: 1,116
    Swan wrote:

because he's kinda hot.