What book are you reading?

Comments

• I'm supposed to be finishing Twilight 2, but tweens in general have been irritating me lately, so my motivation there is void. I think I'll return it back to the library from wence it came and refudiate the fact that I have only a few weeks before school starts! and a few before we move again! holy shit! I am so over-whelmed with things to do right now. :shock: :( sorry Twilight. you just don't take much priority right now.
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:
    The Book Thief - Markus Zusak
    I read that about 2 years ago. I thought it was brilliant!

good stuff.. i'm about 2/3rds the way through... really loving it so far!
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    dunkman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

an australian invented that book. 8-)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • DissidentmanDissidentman Posts: 15,378
    dunkman wrote:
    nuffingman wrote:
    dunkman wrote:

hopefully not in the way you love quadrupedal, ruminant mammals.
  • oona leftoona left Posts: 1,677
    "Under The Dome" by the one and only Stephen King.
  • smarchee wrote:
    Pygmy by Chuck Palahniuk

Dude you read a lot! Many post on this thread.

Wish I had this much free time.

I do read to my kids each night.

My 7 year old and I are just about the finish Harry Potter year 4 Goblet of Fire.

In my free time I am reading (1/2 way) year 6 Half Blood Prince. Need to stay ahead of him.

Hopefully he reads them by himself one day again.
  • EZ1221CEZ1221C Posts: 2,645
    The Advanced Genius Theory by Jason Hartley. Its a really funny take on the less understood works of our most celebrated "geniuses" like George Lucas's Jar-Jar Binks and Bobby Dylan's Victoria's Secret commercial.
    PLAY THE SOUTH
  • WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    I just finished the second book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

They are awesome. I'm dying waiting for 'A Storm of Swords' and 'A Feast of Crows' to arrive.
  • gabersgabers Posts: 2,787
    Just a little constructive criticism for you all. I came here looking for actual descriptions of the books, not just the names. Names don't help the ignorant much! :)

I am ready for a great escape type book. Too much tedious history books for me lately.
  • nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    gabers wrote:
    Just a little constructive criticism for you all. I came here looking for actual descriptions of the books, not just the names. Names don't help the ignorant much! :)

I am ready for a great escape type book. Too much tedious history books for me lately.
    What?? Comments like "really good" not OK for you?

Escape books: Papillon by Henri Charrière and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumbass.
  • Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Posts: 7,258
    The Hemingses of Monticello by Annette Gordon-Reed.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • gabers wrote:

Jennifer Government by Maxx Berry is an entertaining quick read.
  • mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Evil: A Primer by William Hart

Deadpool: Suicide Kings (Graphic Novel)
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• rriversrrivers Posts: 3,696
    Wilds wrote:
    I just finished the second book in the A Song of Ice and Fire series.

They are awesome. I'm dying waiting for 'A Storm of Swords' and 'A Feast of Crows' to arrive.

I'm almost finished the first book in the series. I'm enjoying it.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Just about to finish Anthony Bourdain's Medium Raw...then going right into The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo...
    Need a tour Travel Agent??? Pick me :-)

Whatever you are, be a good one --Lincoln
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Just finished Go Down Together: The True, Untold Story of Bonnie and Clyde by Jeff Guinn. Growing up in North Texas, as I did, it was not unusual to cross paths with someone who had some connection with these 2 violent people (i.e., my dad went to school with Clyde Barrow's cousin) or people who remembered their crimes. So I had a good general knowledge of the Barrow Gang. But I learned all kinds of new things about their lives and times in this well written, entertaining book. Guinn put a lot of research into this and it's a very enjoyable read. :thumbup:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • The Godfather by Mario Puzo. 'Nuff said.
    Chicago 8-23-09

• nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just finished The Other Hand by Chris Cleave

Waterstone's synopsis:
    It is a truly special story and we don't want to spoil it. Nevertheless, you need to know something, so we will just say this: It is extremely funny, but the African beach scene is horrific. The story starts there, but the book doesn't. And it's what happens afterwards that is most important. Once you have read it, you'll want to tell everyone about it. When you do, please don't tell them what happens either. The magic is in how it unfolds.

I don't agree with all of that, it's sometimes funny but not extremely funny. Worth reading though. I'll give it 7/10.

I've also just finished Michael Connelly's Angel's Flight. If I'm in the mood for something that's easy to get into without 50 pages of character building I like to read this guys books. Most enjoyable if you don't want your brain to be working overtime.
  • markymark550markymark550 Posts: 5,119
    South Park and Philosophy
  • loadedgunloadedgun Indiana Posts: 1,389
    Just finished 'Shit my Dad Says'. Good laugh, and a QUICK read. I'd recommend it to anyone.
    Midwest. Indy/Lafayette.
  • ponner1usponner1us Posts: 738
    Let The Great World Spin.
    I LOVE it so far.
    Journey Begins: 1992-08-15, Montage Mountain Performing Arts Center,
    Scranton, Pennsylvania

Journey Ends:
  • Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    The 7 Principles of Making a Marriage Work. By Dr. John Gottman
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • JeanwahJeanwah Posts: 6,363
    Dress your Family in Corduroy and Denim by David Sedaris
  • NastasjaNastasja Posts: 9,668
    'Unser Jahrhundert' by Helmut Schmidt and Fritz Stern
    You can spend your time alone, re-digesting past regrets,
    Or you can come to terms and realize
    You're the only one who can't forgive yourself
  • London Under Midnight - Simon Clark
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • eMMIeMMI Posts: 6,262
    Last Chance to See by Douglas Adams and Mark Carwardine

also

The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams. This one's a re-read for me. I love Douglas Adams' books.
    "Don't be faint-hearted, I have a solution! We shall go and commandeer some small craft, then drift at leisure until we happen upon another ideal place for our waterside supper with riparian entertainments."
  • HartydogHartydog Posts: 2,060
    The Intelligent Investor by Ben Graham
    Boston 9-28-04, 5-24-06, 5-25-06, 5-17-10, 8-5-16, 8-7-16, 9-2-18, 9-4-18
    Hartford 5-13-06, 6-27-08, 10-25-13
    Mansfield, MA 6-30-08, 6-28-08, 7-2-03, 7-3-03, 7-11-03, 8-29-00, 8-30-00, 9-15-98, 9-16-98
    Worcester 10-15-13, 10-16-13
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    Hopes and Prospects - Chomsky :)
    and.....some White Stripes bio I picket up for a buck at a library sale, when I'm tired of reading about how fucked up the world is (I read about how fucked up Jack, Meg, and Detroit are :D )
  • dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    Alone In Berlin - Hans Fallada
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    the many lives of tom waits - patrick humphries.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say