Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    I've heard-from a very avid reader with quite an open mind-that House of Leaves was...not that good.

I am reading Midnight Tides by Steven Erikson and Water For Elephants by Sara Gruen.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    I've heard-from a very avid reader with quite an open mind-that House of Leaves was...not that good.

I was dying to read it for awhile and then I didn't care anymore for some reason. I never got around to reading it. I'm reading "The Raw Shark Texts" right now and it has drawn comparisons to it. I'm enjoying that book so I was thinking of giving "House of Leaves" a chance.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    wizard and glass, i hope i like the ending of the series. im gonna finish them anyways but i wish the ending was getting praises......
  • Options
    wizard and glass, i hope i like the ending of the series. im gonna finish them anyways but i wish the ending was getting praises......

Wizard and Glass is really good. It's probably my second favorite book of the series. When it first came out, I didn't like it, but I re-read the early books before book 5 came out and I loved Wizard then.

There are definitely cool parts in all of the books, but there is one thing that comes into the later books that really hurts them for me and the ending is lame. It is a fun ride though.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Dreadnought: Britain, Germany and the Coming of the Great War" by Robert K. Massie
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    mammasanmammasan Posts: 5,656
    I just finished "I Hope They Serve Beer in Hell" by Tucker Max and will be starting "When You Are Engulfed in Flames" by David Sedaris.
    "When one gets in bed with government, one must expect the diseases it spreads." - Ron Paul
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    rrivers wrote:
    I liked it, but I can see your point about not telling us how things got to that point. I think that would have been really interesting, and it is a bit of a cop-out for the writer.

I disagree. There was no reason to tell us how the world ended it wasn't really central to the story. If he did tell us it would probably just some generic nuclear war or some bollocks like that. It adds a lot to the mystery and atmosphere being kept in the dark.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    Hunger StrikeHunger Strike Scottsdale, AZ Posts: 229
    Pillars of the Earth...great book, almost done, what a harsh life people lived back in the 1100's. No thanks! It's quite an epic story for sure!
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    How is that?

I actually just finished it last night and I would really recommend it. It's really engaging sometimes there are parts that get away from you cause they are really wordy. But as a whole its an interesting read
  • Options
    Pillars of the Earth...great book, almost done, what a harsh life people lived back in the 1100's. No thanks! It's quite an epic story for sure!

I really wanted to read it. I should pick it up sometime. Back to the library for me though I have been buying books like crazy lately :eek: Books are like shoes to me I can never have too many. Never mind that shoes are like that for me as well :p
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I was dying to read it for awhile and then I didn't care anymore for some reason. I never got around to reading it. I'm reading "The Raw Shark Texts" right now and it has drawn comparisons to it. I'm enjoying that book so I was thinking of giving "House of Leaves" a chance.

I've never read "The Red Shark Texts". What's that one about?
  • Options
    I've never read "The Red Shark Texts". What's that one about?

A guy wakes up who can't remember anything about his life and he has notes from his previous self (similiar to Memento) and there is a "shark" that is after him. I don't want to give too much away, but it's really done well. From flipping through "House of Leaves", I think it is similiar in the style with some pages just having a few words on them, etc.
  • Options
    I'm reading Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

Very good.
    "Information is not knowledge.
    Knowledge is not wisdom.
    Wisdom is not truth.
    Truth is not beauty.
    Beauty is not love.
    Love is not music.
    Music is the best."
    ~ FZ ~
  • Options
    "Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey" by Chuck Palahniuk
    "I would love to see a forklift life a crate of forks. It would be so damn literal." - Mitch Hedberg

9/23/98 WPB, 8/10/00 WPB, 4/11/03 WPB, 4/13/03 Tampa, 10/4/04 Kissimmee, 6/11/08 WPB, 6/12/08 Tampa
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    "Rant: An Oral Biography of Buster Casey" by Chuck Palahniuk

Interesting book. Not my favorite Palahniuk novel, but I did like it better upon 2nd reading.

I am currently reading "The Watchmen", "Suicide" by Emile Durkheim, "The Crossing" by Cormac McCarthy...and I just finished the Bhagavad-Gita
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    The White Plague by Frank Herbert.
    Very disappointing. I'm a huge huge fan of the Dune series by Herbert, but this thing is such a hack job. I'm not too far in though so I'll keep reading. Maybe it'll get better.
    I'll Ride The Wave Where It Takes Me
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    A guy wakes up who can't remember anything about his life and he has notes from his previous self (similiar to Memento) and there is a "shark" that is after him. I don't want to give too much away, but it's really done well. From flipping through "House of Leaves", I think it is similiar in the style with some pages just having a few words on them, etc.

That sounds like an interesting book. "Red Shark"...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    1984 by george orwell
    creepy, very creepy
    but i like it so far
  • Options
    merkinballmerkinball Posts: 2,262

The ending makes sense, after a bit of thought. It took me awhile to appreciate it. Keep up with it, it's a hell of a ride to the end.

Just finished Sword Song by Bernard Cornwell. I'm in the middle of three other books:

High Crimes: The Fate of Everest in the age of Greed - Michael Kodas - Fantastic book on how climbing Everest has changed over the years. Untrained guides, people stealing oxygen tanks, all sorts of crappy behavior.

The Last Continent - Terry Pratchett - Working my way through the Discworld series, this one is just as enjoyable as the rest.

The Dream Hunters - Neil Gaiman - Last of the Sandman books I need to read.
    "You're no help," he told the lime. This was unfair. It was only a lime; there was nothing special about it at all. It was doing the best it could.

http://www.last.fm/user/merkinball/
    spotify:user:merkinball
  • Options
    Interesting book. Not my favorite Palahniuk novel, but I did like it better upon 2nd reading.

Yea, so far not my favorite Palahniuk novel either... that would go to Survivor. I swear, that book needs to be made into a movie. it would be fucking brilliant.
    "I would love to see a forklift life a crate of forks. It would be so damn literal." - Mitch Hedberg

9/23/98 WPB, 8/10/00 WPB, 4/11/03 WPB, 4/13/03 Tampa, 10/4/04 Kissimmee, 6/11/08 WPB, 6/12/08 Tampa
  • Options
    NevermindNevermind Posts: 1,006
    samjam wrote:
    1984 by george orwell
    creepy, very creepy
    but i like it so far
    Great book. You should read Animal Farm while you are at it. Im currently reading The Shock Doctrine: The Rise of Disaster Capitalism.
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Yea, so far not my favorite Palahniuk novel either... that would go to Survivor. I swear, that book needs to be made into a movie. it would be fucking brilliant.

I agree with you, and I believe Survivor is scheduled to be made into a movie. I think Choke is coming out this year, or it could be vice versa, but I heard both were in the pipeline.

I was very disappointed with Rant and Snuff.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    merkinball wrote:
    The ending makes sense, after a bit of thought. It took me awhile to appreciate it. Keep up with it, it's a hell of a ride to the end.

If you're talking about The Dark Tower ending, you're wrong. It's a crappy ending especially for people that have followed the story for upwards of 20 years. I do agree it is a hell of a ride. King has an amazing imagination.
  • Options
    Breakfast at Tiffany's by Truman Capote :)
    Been to this many PJ shows: Reading 2006 London 2007 Manchester & London 2009 Dublin, Belfast, London, Nijmegen & Berlin 2010 Manchester 1 & Manchester 2 2012...

... and I still think Drive-By Truckers are better.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    rrivers wrote:
    If you're talking about The Dark Tower ending, you're wrong. It's a crappy ending especially for people that have followed the story for upwards of 20 years. I do agree it is a hell of a ride. King has an amazing imagination.

I enjoyed book I and am now racing through book II (really enjoying this one :)) ... I have all seven books but wasn't sure how many I'd want to read before breaking it up with some of the other books I have waiting for me but I went straight from I to II and think I'll have started III before the end of the week :o
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    Post-American World - Fareed Zakharia
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • Options
    Chime wrote:
    I enjoyed book I and am now racing through book II (really enjoying this one :)) ... I have all seven books but wasn't sure how many I'd want to read before breaking it up with some of the other books I have waiting for me but I went straight from I to II and think I'll have started III before the end of the week :o

Yeah II is really good. I really liked when Roland was looking through the other characters eyes.
  • Options
    Reading the Randy Couture book. Jon Krakauer's The Hero comes out soon and then it's on to Artie Lange's auto.
    model role model
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    All this talk about the Dark Tower series, makes me want to give it a read. After of course, I read the 10 books I already have in the pipeline :)
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV
  • Options
    Reading the Randy Couture book. Jon Krakauer's The Hero comes out soon and then it's on to Artie Lange's auto.

I think "The Hero" has been pushed back because Krakauer wasn't happy with it. Let me see if I can find the link I read on here.

http://www.publishersweekly.com/article/CA6573003.html