Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    dunkmandunkman Posts: 19,646
    TrixieCat wrote:
    Jamie....:cool:

told me he wasnt wearing any... perhaps he's hiding something from you. :)
    oh scary... 40000 morbidly obese christians wearing fanny packs invading europe is probably the least scariest thing since I watched an edited version of The Care Bears movie in an extremely brightly lit cinema.
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    dunkman wrote:
    told me he wasnt wearing any... perhaps he's hiding something from you. :)
    Damn you.
    :mad:
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    catch22catch22 Posts: 1,081
    Chime wrote:
    The Drawing of the Three - Dark Tower II

i just finished the gunslinger.
    and like that... he's gone.
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    catch22 wrote:
    i just finished the gunslinger.

Me too ... yesterday :) ... I bought all seven ... don't know how many I'll read before I need a break.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    Chime wrote:
    Me too ... yesterday :) ... I bought all seven ... don't know how many I'll read before I need a break.
    I was obsessed when he first began writing these. I was so mad when he stopped. I wonder about picking them up again. Are they as awesome as I remember???
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    FahkaFahka Posts: 3,187
    finally just picked up a copy of "the new comers guide to the afterlife" by Daniel Quinn & Tom Whalen. Only read the inside flaps and i already love it :D
  • Options
    chimechime Posts: 7,838
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I was obsessed when he first began writing these. I was so mad when he stopped. I wonder about picking them up again. Are they as awesome as I remember???

Well I've only just started II but I'm enjoying it. I managed to buy all 7 on the bay pretty cheap but they are the new ones as he has kind of rewritten the first few so I don't know how different they are to what you read.
    So are we strangers now? Like rock and roll and the radio?
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    catch22 wrote:
    i'm not sure. i just finished stephen king's 'gunslinger.' it was pretty good, but not sure i'm ready to dive forward with the series. i've had george rr martin's 'game of thrones' on my shelf for weeks and want to read it, but ever since the wheel of time debacle i'm leery of diving into a huge epic fantasy series that isn't finished and has no projection for when it may be.

so i'm considering reading either 'songs of innocence' by richard aleas (hard case crimes) or diving into tad williams' dragonbone chair. at least that series is done.

The Dark Tower is pretty good, but I was disappointed with the last three books. The ending of the series was disappointing too. And I am a huge King fan.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    The Dark Tower is pretty good, but I was disappointed with the last three books. The ending of the series was disappointing too. And I am a huge King fan.

i have heard this from a lot of people. it's made me a bit leery of investing myself in it, especially since i've recently kicked off a couple of other series'
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Finished Wonder Boys by Michael Chabon, very good.
    And am half way through The Watchmen. My first graphic novel, and it's pretty good so far.
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:
    i have heard this from a lot of people. it's made me a bit leery of investing myself in it, especially since i've recently kicked off a couple of other series'

Yeah just wanted to warn you before you invested your time. I like King a lot, but I think he ripped off readers, some who followed the series for close to thirty years.
  • Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    TrixieCat wrote:
    I think Jamie just read that.

I have just been inspired to pick it up again, I left it a while back, but I went through a few pages again earlier.

:)

p.s....yellow polka dot :p
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    Just finished "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy. It was quite a depressing read.
  • Options
    My Diary by Kylie Mole
    wah
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,765
    Bean Trees - Barbara Kingsolver
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:

I agree. Good story but really sad.
  • Options
    eyedclaareyedclaar Posts: 6,980
    Idaho Loners
    Idaho's Premier Outdoor Writer

Please Support My Writing Habit By Purchasing A Book:

https://www.createspace.com/3437020

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000663025696

http://earthtremors.blogspot.com/
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:

i think im the only person who didn't care for the road. i have the same problem with almost all apocalytpic fiction... it's all just a fancy survival story. it could be a guy lost in the maine woods for all i care, but somehow making it post-apocalyptic makes it a Serious Literary Statement. what i always want is the interesting story... how did things get to that point? they always dodge that... 1984, handmaid's tale, the road.
  • Options
    nuffingmannuffingman Posts: 3,014
    catch22 wrote:
    i think im the only person who didn't care for the road. i have the same problem with almost all apocalytpic fiction... it's all just a fancy survival story. it could be a guy lost in the maine woods for all i care, but somehow making it post-apocalyptic makes it a Serious Literary Statement. what i always want is the interesting story... how did things get to that point? they always dodge that... 1984, handmaid's tale, the road.
    Yep, the jury is out for me on this one. The reviews on the back were unanimous in their approval, but it left me feeling quite depressed, as if the father and sons attempts at survival were just a lost cause. Apparently a movie is out soon. That should be a laugh fest.
  • Options
    nuffingman wrote:
    Yep, the jury is out for me on this one. The reviews on the back were unanimous in their approval, but it left me feeling quite depressed, as if the father and sons attempts at survival were just a lost cause. Apparently a movie is out soon. That should be a laugh fest.

i could handle the depressing end if there was anything interesting happening before that.
  • Options
    mole1985mole1985 Posts: 1,119
    nuffingman wrote:

An amazing read that one.
    Dublin 2006
    Katowice 2007
    London 2007
  • Options
    catch22 wrote:

I liked it, but I can see your point about not telling us how things got to that point. I think that would have been really interesting, and it is a bit of a cop-out for the writer.
  • Options
    Okay its not Leibniz but close to symbolic thought ... " A Practical Guide For Developing your Natural Clairvoaynt Abilties"
  • Options
    Dandy In The Underworld by Sebastian Horsley
    "The customer...is always...an ASSHOLE"

"The world fascinates me."

"Doesn't mean that much to me, to mean that much to you"

• Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    Dandy In The Underworld by Sebastian Horsley
    whassat, a biog of Marc Bolan?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    The Great Unraveling: Losing Our Way In The New Century by Paul Krugman
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    WhizbangWhizbang Posts: 1,314
    A People's History of the United States - Howard Zinn

and an insurance book for my next designation *yawn*
    believe it or not, we don't "need" anything. that is only the spoiled brat in us trying to fill some temporary solution to an emptyness that does not exist.

I have eaten so much gold I crapped excellence - drtyfrnk29

Life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all!
  • Options
    House of Leaves
  • Options
    House of Leaves

How is that?
  • Options
    DonJonDonJon Posts: 5,089
    CPA 105 - Taxation
    I have a permanent erection :rolleyes:
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me.