Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    the uncut extended thingy. the original isnt in print anymore is it? i had my doubts about a king non-horror book so i let this one slide for awhile but then i read two of the dark tower books and was like time to read the stand.
    most of his earlier stuff are much better than the later stuff... like The Stand, Misery, stand by me (the body/different seasons), the shining, firestarter :o I love that one, Carrie, etc. Like Dean Koontz the later ones get a bit silly. If you like that kinda genre, I would HIGHLY recommend 'Host' or 'Alchemist' by Peter James... he's got a few EXCELLENT books... as good as, or better than any King or Koontz.

http://www.peterjames.com/books.htm

Twilight, Prophecy, the truth and sweet heart are all excellent too... that's all I've read of his but he's brilliant... oh and possession.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    most of his earlier stuff are much better than the later stuff... like The Stand, Misery, stand by me (the body/different seasons), the shining, firestarter :o I love that one, Carrie, etc. Like Dean Koontz the later ones get a bit silly. If you like that kinda genre, I would HIGHLY recommend 'Host' or 'Alchemist' by Peter James... he's got a few EXCELLENT books... as good as, or better than any King or Koontz.

http://www.peterjames.com/books.htm

Twilight, Prophecy, the truth and sweet heart are all excellent too... that's all I've read of his but he's brilliant... oh and possession.

I have yet to find a Koontz book that I thought was good :confused:

I will take your suggestion on Peter James though.

Different Seasons is FAB. Good to know you are a King fan too.
  • Options
    I have yet to find a Koontz book that I thought was good :confused:

I will take your suggestion on Peter James though.

Different Seasons is FAB. Good to know you are a King fan too.
    Koontz's old stuff is fantastic. Lightning is one of my favourite EVER books... watchers is brilliant too. And dark rivers of the heart was great.

I think host and alchemist may be better than any King book though in my opinion :o
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    I just wanted to defend King's later works a bit. The Green Mile is great as is Needful THings. I really enjoyed Lisey's Story from last year.

I have never been able to get into Koontz. I think the only book of his that I liked was Watchers. Granted I haven't read them all but I have read 5 or 6 of them, and of those they didn't make much of an impression on me.

Thanks for the Peter James suggestion. I will definitely check him out.
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:
    I just wanted to defend King's later works a bit. The Green Mile is great as is Needful THings. I really enjoyed Lisey's Story from last year.

I have never been able to get into Koontz. I think the only book of his that I liked was Watchers. Granted I haven't read them all but I have read 5 or 6 of them, and of those they didn't make much of an impression on me.

I loved Needful Things.. a very insightful look into people. Green Mile.. AMAZING!!
  • Options
    Urban HikerUrban Hiker Posts: 1,312
    This week I read 'How Doctors Think' by Dr. Jerome Groopman. I would recommend it to anybody who may ever have to deal with health issues.

Amazon reviews here
    Walking can be a real trip
    "We've laid the groundwork. It's like planting the seeds. And next year, it's spring." - Nader
    Prepare for tending to your garden, America.
  • Options
    This week I read 'How Doctors Think' by Dr. Jerome Groopman. I would recommend it to anybody who may ever have to deal with health issues.

Amazon reviews here

That's on my amazon wishlist. Hopefully someone will get it for me for Christmas!
  • Options
    rrivers wrote:

No probs :) have you read lightning though? That's my favourite! I really liked watchers too.
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539
    reading Jean's Chretien's autobiography My Years As Prime Minister
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    reading Jean's Chretien's autobiography My Years As Prime Minister

I got that for my Gran for Christmas but as I went to wrap it up I thought it looked quite good. What do you think so far?
  • Options
    I got that for my Gran for Christmas but as I went to wrap it up I thought it looked quite good. What do you think so far?

I just hit the 100 page mark about 1 hour ago in Tim Horton's :p

I like it so far, especially the last 20 pages when he started talking about his relations with Clinton and in dealing with the NAFTA and the OAS during the 1990s. Ah, Clinton and Chretien, it is so nice to remember the good old days, compared with the 2 tools leading both nations now. But I digress.

Also, early it talked about his views of building and selecting his Cabinet, which I thought was valuable insight, so all in all, a good read. I wasn't much into Canadian politics in the 1st half of his years, so I may be learning more than what your Gran may take away. He definitly has a way with words and insight, both in his public statements, and on his reflection of his time in politics. I should be finished on the weekend.

By the way, not sure if it was repeat, but he was on The Hour last night ;)
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    I just hit the 100 page mark about 1 hour ago in Tim Horton's :p

I like it so far, especially the last 20 pages when he started talking about his relations with Clinton and in dealing with the NAFTA and the OAS during the 1990s. Ah, Clinton and Chretien, it is so nice to remember the good old days, compared with the 2 tools leading both nations now. But I digress.

Also, early it talked about his views of building and selecting his Cabinet, which I thought was valuable insight, so all in all, a good read. I wasn't much into Canadian politics in the 1st half of his years, so I may be learning more than what your Gran may take away. He definitly has a way with words and insight, both in his public statements, and on his reflection of his time in politics. I should be finished on the weekend.

By the way, not sure if it was repeat, but he was on The Hour last night ;)

I agree much better times with Clinton and Chretien.. does the book touch on him grabbing that guy by the throat?? LOL.... Yep very sad with the current two tools in office. :(

I missed The Hour last night :o
  • Options
    Just finished Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut last night. It was pretty incredible. I am going to start Candide by Voltaire today.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    does the book touch on him grabbing that guy by the throat??

oh I am sure he will have to touch upon it eventually

he is progressing through his years, I just red the part where he supported our decision to fight back against the Spaniards in protecting our right to not fish in the Grand Banks to help keep the Newfoundland fisheries replenished.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    gleemonex wrote:
    Just finished Cat's Cradle by Vonnegut last night. It was pretty incredible. I am going to start Candide by Voltaire today.

that ending was so awesome. the whole book is great but that ending after the world is frozen is classic.
  • Options
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. Yep. I'm finally starting that series, and by the looks of it, it's going to take a while.
    When life gives you lemons, throw them at somebody.
  • Options
    that ending was so awesome. the whole book is great but that ending after the world is frozen is classic.

I know! The book was really good by Vonnegut's high standards until the ending. It really blew me away! I loved it so much.
    “Hello, babies. Welcome to Earth. It’s hot in the summer and cold in the winter. It’s round and wet and crowded. At the outside, babies, you’ve got about a hundred years here. There’s only one rule that I know of, babies — ‘God damn it, you’ve got to be kind.’” - Kurt Vonnegut
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    oh I am sure he will have to touch upon it eventually

he is progressing through his years, I just red the part where he supported our decision to fight back against the Spaniards in protecting our right to not fish in the Grand Banks to help keep the Newfoundland fisheries replenished.

Haha how funny was that???

Yeesh I wish he was still the PM instead of the noodle head we have now!!!
  • Options
    Haha how funny was that???

Yeesh I wish he was still the PM instead of the noodle head we have now!!!

it was funny, Chretien had alot of character to him.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    A thousand splendid suns by Khaled Hosseini. So far fantastic but I haven't got very far yet.
    "We have to change the concept of patriotism to one of “matriotism” — love of humanity that transcends war. A matriarch would never send her own children off to wars that kill other people’s children." Cindy Sheehan
    ---
    London, Brixton, 14 July 1993
    London, Wembley, 1996
    London, Wembley, 18 June 2007
    London, O2, 18 August 2009
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 31 July 2012
    Milton Keynes Bowl, 11 July 2014
    London, Hammersmith Apollo (Ed solo), 06 June 2017
    London, O2, 18 June 2018
    London, O2, 17 July 2018
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 09 June 2019
    Amsterdam, Afas Live (Ed solo), 10 June 2019

• Options
    The Eye of the World by Robert Jordan. Yep. I'm finally starting that series, and by the looks of it, it's going to take a while.

I read that a couple of years ago (Eye, not the whole series). I have The Great Hunt, but haven't gotten around to it yet. I really enjoyed Eye.

I am reading "Manhunt: The 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer" by James Swanson. It is the best book I have read all year.
  • Options
    Currently reading Auto-Biography of Slash. Pretty good read so far. Great Christmas present.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    "Birmingham Rails The Last Golden Era From World War II to Amtrak"
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    The Jokes Over by Ralph Steadman.
  • Options
    smarchee wrote:
    The Last Templar by Raymond Khoury

I enjoyed that one. Of course, I am a sucker for the Templars. "The Religion" is good, too.

I'm finishing "The Climb" right now and trying to decide what's next. Prolly Ken Burns' "The War".
    The Daystar

"But --you say that Dreams have no power here? Tell me, Lucifer Morningstar...Ask yourselves, all of you...What power would hell have if those here imprisoned were not able to Dream of Heaven?" Dream speaking to Lucifer as written by Neil Gaiman.
  • Options
    Justine, and other writings...

it was a christmas gift...and it isnt very good...
    IF YOU WANT A PLATE OF MY BEEF SWELLINGTON, YOU'RE GOING TO HAVE TO PAY THE COVERCHARGE.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,976
    I had to abort the Bourne trilogy. Interesting amnesia theme aside, I found it boring with all the fighting. Damon pulls that off much better than the author!
    I am reading "A Fine Balance" by Rohinton Mistry. (Damn, I wish I knew how to underline that title.) I received the book yesterday and have nearly completed the easy read. It's been nice to stay in bed with a good novel. Oh, how I miss that, being a working stiff now. I feel bad moaning about this, surviving in India in the 1970 and 80's doesn't read to have been as easy as my Western lifestyle, as my book is teaching me.
  • Options
    1. Manhunt - the 12 Day Chase for Lincoln's Killer by James Swanson Excellent book. Makes you feel like you are in the woods of Maryland and Virginia with Booth.

2. The Ruins by Scott Smith - Really creepy, good book.

3. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows by JK Rowling - Best Harry Potter book and a satisfying ending.

4. 1 Dead in Attic by Chris Rose - a collection of his columns about New Orleans following Katrina. Heartbreaking, funny, and you can really feel his love for the city (that I share).

5. A Three Dog Life - the first book I read this year of a spouse dealing with a tragedy happening to a partner and the better one.

6. Travels by Michael Crichton - I am not a big fan of Crichton's novels but this memoir of his adventures was a very interesting, fun read.

7. The Kite Runner - Tragic and not for the faint of heart but a very realistic look at regret and being somewhat redeemed.

8. Love is a Mixtape by Rob Sheffield - the second spouse tragedy book. The music backdrop is great for music fans. The heartbreak is touching even for those who could care less about his music tastes.

9. Blaze by Stephen King - an author who rarely disappoints. He doesn't here.

10. Flags of our Fathers by James Bradley - I haven't seen the movie, but if it is anything like the book it's worth checking out.