What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    jamie ukjamie uk Posts: 3,812
    Puckoon. For the second time.
    I came, I saw, I concurred.....
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    a glimpse of eternal snows: a family's journey of love and loss in nepal - jane wilson-howarth.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    know1 wrote:
    "The Road" by Cormac McCarthy.

I can barely put it down.

im asking for that for xmas. i just recently read 'no country for old men' and it was awesome.
  • Options
    im asking for that for xmas. i just recently read 'no country for old men' and it was awesome.

if youve not read his border trilogy, may i recommend you do so. :)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    pearljamjenpearljamjen Posts: 13,578
    Still Life with Woodpecker by Tom Robbins
  • Options
    King Dork by Frank Portman - you will not be disappointed. BTW, it is catagorized as "Young Adult" but do not be deterred. Seriously, you will love it!

And to the poster above me, if you like Tim Robbins, try Jitterbug Perfume. It is my favorite book of his.

Oops, I meant Tom Robbins.
    11/95 San Jose; 9/96 Randalls Island; 8/00 Jones Beach; 7-8&9 2003 NYC; 10/04 Reading; 9/05 & 10/05 Borgata; '06 Irving Plaza; '06 Hartford; '06 Camden 1&2; E. Rutherford 1&2 '06; Vegas 7/06; Bridge School 1&2 '06; 2008 WPB, Camden 1&2, MSG 1&2, Boston 2, EV NYC 1&2 and NJPAC; 6/09 EV Philly 1&2; 2009 LA 3&4, 09 San Diego, 09 Philly 1-4, 2010 MSG 1 and 2, 2010 Boston, 2010 Hartford, 2010 Newark; Alpine Valley Sept 2011
  • Options
    AmentsChickAmentsChick Posts: 6,969
    Banner of Heaven is great!! So truly bizarre.

Did I mention it's my all-time favorite book? There is a documentary I watched recently (Banking on Heaven) and Krakauer appears on it. One of the FLDS's "Lost Boys" 'adopted' Krakauer as his dad. Brought a tear to my eye!
    This is the greatest band in the world -- Ben Harper

• Options
    Did I mention it's my all-time favorite book? There is a documentary I watched recently (Banking on Heaven) and Krakauer appears on it. One of the FLDS's "Lost Boys" 'adopted' Krakauer as his dad. Brought a tear to my eye!

I would be interested in seeing that. I just watched a documentary on brain washing and religions.. interesting. Terrifying and bizarre but interesting.

I am re reading Summer Sisters by Judy Blume, great book.
  • Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 407
    I'm reading A Tree Grows In Brooklyn and I just finished Into the Wild. I read Into Thin Air years ago and was not a big fan of Krakauer's style so I never read Wild, but I liked Into the Wild much, much more.
  • Options
    elmerelmer Posts: 1,683
    woohoo!!! finally finished what's welsh for zen by john cale. what a fascinating musician that man is. he gave an interesting insight into both lou reed and andy warhol, so twas all good. :)
    ah I've heard of that, I'm a big fan of : Paris 1919, Vintage Violence, Hobosapiens. Dont really know much about him though, other than he's welsh(no problem with that). Always much preferred his music over that of Lou Reed but Cale seems to not have much popularity in england.
  • Options
    im finally reading the stand by king. i was hoping to have it done this year still but that doesnt seem that likely.
  • Options
    rriversrrivers Posts: 3,693
    im finally reading the stand by king. i was hoping to have it done this year still but that doesnt seem that likely.

Great, great book!!
    "We're fixed good, lamp-wise."
  • Options
    1984 by George Orwell. not a big reader but this actually seems interesting
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    the catcher in the rye

My favorite book! I've read it so many times and now I feel like reading it again.. however..

I just bought 'Darkly Dreaming Dexter', by Jeff Lindsay (the first book that prompted the hit show on Showtime). And 'Shanks for Nothing', by Rick Reilly, a sequel to his hilarious golf epic 'Missing Links'... Not sure which to read first :/
    Abraham Lincoln once said, "If you are a racist, I will attack you with the North."
  • Options
    ooooohh that was a really really good book... HUGE thogh but great!
    The Astoria??? Orgazmic!
    Verona??? it's all surmountable
    Dublin 23.08.06 "The beauty of Ireland, right there!"
    Wembley? We all believe!
    Copenhagen?? your light made us stars
    Chicago 07? And love
    What a different life
    Had I not found this love with you
  • Options
    elmer wrote:
    ah I've heard of that, I'm a big fan of : Paris 1919, Vintage Violence, Hobosapiens. Dont really know much about him though, other than he's welsh(no problem with that). Always much preferred his music over that of Lou Reed but Cale seems to not have much popularity in england.

well screw the english, what would they know? they thought sending people to australia was punishment, so theyre hardly good judges of anything imo. LMAO!! :D:D

oh do read whats welsh for zen? if you can. tis so worth the effort. he certainly enlightened me about lou reed that's for sure.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options

Great book!!! Huge Stephen King fan. Which version are you reading?
  • Options
    smarcheesmarchee Windsor, Ontario Posts: 14,539

one of my favourites too

I can remember reading this like it was yesterday, I was totally absorbed in this book for about 2 weeks.
    1998 ~ Barrie
    2003 ~ Toronto
    2005 ~ London, Toronto
    2006 ~ Toronto
    2008 ~ Hartford, Mansfied I,
    2009 ~ Toronto, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2010 ~ Cleveland, Buffalo
    2011 ~ Toronto I, Toronto II, Ottawa, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Detroit
    2019 - Chicago X 2
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,202
    if youve not read his border trilogy, may i recommend you do so. :)

it's on my list as well.
  • Options
    eoboeobo Posts: 102
    i'm reading i, lucifer. i've always meant to but never have. it is beginning to take over my life
    heh, keep her lit.

Dublin, 23/08/2006 = Lifechanging! X D

Katowice, 13/06/2007 = Phenomenal = )

London, 18/06/2007 = Pretty darn sweet = )

London Poster Wanted, PM if you have one for sale = )
  • Options
    I'm reading Al Gore's The Assault On Reason. Very insightful...
  • Options
    Great book!!! Huge Stephen King fan. Which version are you reading?

the uncut extended thingy. the original isnt in print anymore is it? i had my doubts about a king non-horror book so i let this one slide for awhile but then i read two of the dark tower books and was like time to read the stand.
  • Options
    it's on my list as well.

did you put the book of lost things - john connelly on that list too? ;)
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    I'm reading Albert Camus' 'The Rebel' for the 2nd time.
  • Options
    mdigenakismdigenakis Posts: 1,337
    Ethical Realism, or at least i hope to some time before i retire.
    "Don't let the darkness eat you up..."

-Greg Dulli

• Options
    the uncut extended thingy. the original isnt in print anymore is it? i had my doubts about a king non-horror book so i let this one slide for awhile but then i read two of the dark tower books and was like time to read the stand.

No I don't think it is in print anymore. I have copies of both and I think I have read both but that was years ago so... :confused:

I quite enjoy the the Dark Tower series but I haven't read the whole thing yet...
  • Options

No I don't think it is in print anymore. I have copies of both and I think I have read both but that was years ago so... :confused:

I quite enjoy the the Dark Tower series but I haven't read the whole thing yet...
  • Options
    i like coloring books the most,...
    you're a real hooker. im gonna slap you in public.
    ~Ron Burgundy
  • Options
    wolfbearwolfbear Posts: 3,965
    Charlaine Harris. I picked up a book that someone I volunteer with was reading and I loved it. They are really light reading but fun. It's a "Southern Vampire Series". The main character is telepathic and there are vampires, werewolves and all kinds of other fun characters. I am hooked, they are very fun! She has 2 or 3 other series, evidently very prolific. I love discovering new authors that are easy reading for times I just want to lose myself. :)
    "I'd rather be with an animal." "Those that can be trusted can change their mind." "The in between is mine." "If I don't lose control, explore and not explode, a preternatural other plane with the power to maintain." "Yeh this is living." "Life is what you make it."
  • Options
    PJSerfPJSerf Posts: 637
    Just started reading "A People's History of the United States". I've never read any of Zinn's work, so I'm interested to check it out.
    "If you love someone, set them free... if someone loves you, don't fuck up" - EV