What book are you reading?

1249250251252253255»

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    g under p said:

I'm reading this 500+ page book about my father and uncle. They were one of three pioneers of the Jamaican Sound System they created starting back in the early 50's through the 60's. I can recall when I was 6-10 when my father would tour the island playing some concerts, dances and any gathering that required superior sound for entertainment.  I spent the summers in the country with him and I was popular with my friends because I could get in even though we were very young.

They had a huge record shop in Kingston, with thousands and thousands of records mostly 45s. There, musicians who wanted their music to be heard came to get their music distributed to the public. THIS, was b4 major radio stations came about in the 50s. The likes of Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff would visit his record shop searching for a chance to get their music out. THIS was the era of SKA, ROCK STEADY then REGGAE music.

My father and uncle are both alive today. My father 96, my uncle at 93. 

Peace

✌️
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,678
    g under p said:

I'm reading this 500+ page book about my father and uncle. They were one of three pioneers of the Jamaican Sound System they created starting back in the early 50's through the 60's. I can recall when I was 6-10 when my father would tour the island playing some concerts, dances and any gathering that required superior sound for entertainment.  I spent the summers in the country with him and I was popular with my friends because I could get in even though we were very young.

They had a huge record shop in Kingston, with thousands and thousands of records mostly 45s. There, musicians who wanted their music to be heard came to get their music distributed to the public. THIS, was b4 major radio stations came about in the 50s. The likes of Bob Marley, Jimmy Cliff would visit his record shop searching for a chance to get their music out. THIS was the era of SKA, ROCK STEADY then REGGAE music.

My father and uncle are both alive today. My father 96, my uncle at 93. 

Peace

How cool!  What rich music history that be! 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.