Options

What book are you reading?

1246247248249250252»

Comments

• Options
    EnkiduEnkidu So Cal Posts: 2,996
    Has anyone read this?  It's hilarious and sad and strange.  I kind of like it.  

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,828
    Never. But looks different. Cool
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,281
    edited March 31
    Pap said:

Almost bought that at the show the other night. Let us know how it is!
    I enjoyed it a lot! Especially towards the end it gets more of a fiction novel than an autobiography, It kept me wanting to find out what happens next. Carrie's life is quite a story, A witty demystification of the rock star stereotype. Bonus: 5-6 pages dedicated to PJ/EV :wink:
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    ^That Portlandia episode with EV is hilarious and painfully true to a lot of us aging 'fanboys'. 
    I really liked that book gave a lot of insight to that time being a young woman rocker. 
    Between this book and the mark lanegan rbaw really, like the word you used, demystifies and really deromanticises that lifestyle. I guess those that lived through it and are still doing it have no regrets.
    Whatever! 
    Pick that one up 
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,143
    Definitely going to read that one soon!

Halfway through this one:

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,903

I liked the show so thought I would check out the book. So far, so good. 
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    The Paris Wife  Give Movies a Chance

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,746
    GlowGirl said:

I liked the show so thought I would check out the book. So far, so good. 

That sounds interesting.  The Goodreads book summation states: "New York Times bestselling author Laurence Leamer reveals the complex web of relationships and scandalous true stories behind Truman Capote's never-published final novel, Answered Prayers"    That is odd because Answered Prayers has, indeed, been published (it's not hard to find).

If you haven't read it, you might enjoys Capote's Music For Chameleons.  In contains some great and varied stories- everything from a beautiful and loving portrait of Marylin Monroe to the chilling "Hand Carved Coffins." 
    I was so fortunate to be turned on to Capote my freshman year of high school.  My English teacher passed around a reading list and I told her I had read most of the books on the list and wasn't interested in the others.  She handed me a copy of Other Voices, Other Rooms and said, "I think you will like this."  Indeed!  I loved it, and eventually read everything by Capote I could get my hands on.

I will watch for this one, thanks for posting it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Thank you Bob Honey... Thanks Paul Theroux... If I ever die, to this place let me go... ~ Never Destination (Gigaton, 2020)

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,518
    Later Stephen King  9789022592809  Boeken  bol
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    Love Stephen King! He’s got a new one out this spring!

I think Later is my favorite of the 3 he wrote for  Hardcase Crime books.
  • Options
    Love Stephen King! He’s got a new one out this spring!

I think Later is my favorite of the 3 he wrote for  Hardcase Crime books.
    Love him too!!.. what's your favourite??..
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Oh, that’s a tough one. Hmm.

Skeleton Crew and Night Shift are amazing for short stories.

As for novels, I just loved reading The Stand and It when I was younger. Also, the Dark Tower series. It didn’t have the best ending, but I loved those.

Latter day King, I love Desperation/The Regulators and Under the Dome and 11.22.63.

This is kind of like asking which is your favorite child? 😂 
  • Options
    The Dark Tower series i think its his magnum opus..i love Misery, Apt Pupil and It..but you're right, it's hard to choose..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,559
    I'm reading The Man in the High Castle. Frankly, I think it kinda sucks, which surprises me. It's a bit of a slog. Barely anything happens for most of it. It could have been so much better, with the amazing concept.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    edited April 4
    I also love Stephen King so much! Huge fan. His books are never a slog, lol.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    I grew up on comics, Choose Your Own Adventure, and books in dinosaurs. 😂 

Once someone handed me Pet Sematary in 6th grade, it was all over. Love reading now. King is still my favorite.
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    I'm reading The Man in the High Castle. Frankly, I think it kinda sucks, which surprises me. It's a bit of a slog. Barely anything happens for most of it. It could have been so much better, with the amazing concept.
     :o 
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,903
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven’t read the book, but loved the TV show. 
  • Options
    edited April 7
    Sorry to repeat here, but this book is flat out amazing.  I read it a little at a time, savoring every page, paragraph, sentence.  The book being only 100 pages, you can tell by my notes that I really got into this one, lol.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Somewhere in NYC Posts: 9,078
    through page 44 on team of rivals which I picked up at one of those book sales in a library where you fill up a bag for a few bucks.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • Options
    Second time around for this classic Edward Abbey.  And what's really great is that this is the first Abbey book I ever read, some 50 years ago.  So long ago in fact, it's like reading it for the first time.  One of his best!

• Options
    ^^^great one.

Reading Out of Africa now.
    Random library pick.

Fantastic picture of a woman coffee farmer.

Great imagery in her writing skills and oddball characters i certainly relate to. A part of them in all of us.
  • Options
    EL91640EL91640 Posts: 62
    Finally finished this last night. I started reading it two years ago on a long flight to Hawaii and had about 50 pages left at the end of the trip that I finally finished. Really enjoyed it overall. 

• Options
    Loujoe said:
    ^^^great one.

Reading Out of Africa now.
    Random library pick.

Fantastic picture of a woman coffee farmer.

Great imagery in her writing skills and oddball characters i certainly relate to. A part of them in all of us.

Good choice! 
    My wife recently read an historic novel that intertwines the lives of Isak Dinesen and Beryl Markham.  If I recall correctly, it was Circling the Sun by Paula McLain.  She really liked it.

• Options
    📚 Happy World Book Day 📖
  • Options
    The Man Who Watched the Trains Go By by Georges Simenon Sin Reynolds   Waterstones
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    PJ1973PJ1973 Winston-Salem, NC Posts: 404
    PJ_Soul said:
    I remember when the series was out, hearing that the book it was based on was not great. Meanwhile 90% of that series was great!

I finally started this and am about halfway through. 

Road by Cormac McCarthy 2007 Vintage International trade paperback - Picture 1 of 6
  • Options
    GlowGirl said:
    PJ_Soul said:
    I haven’t read the book, but loved the TV show. 

Yeah, the show really isn't much like the book. I read it because i likes the show, and ended up being disappointed. I mean, the book has some things about it that a reader might appreciate, but mostly it's blurg for me.