What book are you reading?

1248249250251252254»

Comments

• HenriettaLowellHenriettaLowell Cologne, Germany Posts: 125

Beautiful. Did not realize it‘s a sequel to „Brooklyn“ until just now though, despite having seen that one‘s film adaptation. Might go back and read the book now
  • PapPap Posts: 28,733

Signed by Lisette when I met her at the Barrett Martin's gig in London, UK last May :smile:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 8,892

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,572
    edited August 15
    Loujoe said:

Looks very interesting, L!  I read up a little on the author and noticed she is an "adjunct professor of punk and reggae at NYU".  How cool it would be to take her class!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Turning me on to some different music and opening my eyes to how punk was born to different people in different countries. Japan, Russia, England, US.
    So far checked out 'The Slits' and 'X-Ray Specs'.
    Plus I always think of punk as more of a bad boy thing and breaking stuff.  So I really like the perspective.
    Each chapter starts with a track list.

Been keeping me busy

Loujoe said:
    Turning me on to some different music and opening my eyes to how punk was born to different people in different countries. Japan, Russia, England, US.
    So far checked out 'The Slits' and 'X-Ray Specs'.
    Plus I always think of punk as more of a bad boy thing and breaking stuff.  So I really like the perspective.
    Each chapter starts with a track list.

Been keeping me busy

:plus_one:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• HenriettaLowellHenriettaLowell Cologne, Germany Posts: 125
    Loujoe said:

Nice, goes on my list! I love Goldman, both as an interesting voice on pop culture and as a musician herself (check out „Private Army“ and „Launderette“, if you haven‘t yet)
     B)  ^^ a whole new world has opened for my earballs. Only about 40 years late to the party. Really dig new to me music
     Will check them out.
  • Pap said:

Just started this 😀
    Having worked through and been blown away by the enormously heavy, intense, and excellent Charles Bowden book, Blood Orchid, I've now moved on to the brain and soul candy of an excellent music biography, Steve Wynn's, I Wouldn't Say It if It Wasn't True

• 23scidoo23scidoo Posts: 19,067
    Borges y el pacto sur by Gastn Fiorda  Goodreads
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,482
    read Seth Rogan's Year Book while on vacation at the beach. Funny beach read. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

The Invisible Life of Addie LaRue by Victoria Schwab  Goodreads
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,644
    23scidoo said:
    I read that book - pretty good.

I just started reading American Authors Series: Wendell Berry edited by Paul Merchant. I came across a copy of this book in a used bookstore in South Lake Tahoe yesterday. Having read a lot of Wendell Berry, I am certain to enjoy this collection of works by and about Wendell Berry.

A well regarded bookseller I know from Salt Lake City, Ken Sanders, told me (and has stated elsewhere), "Wendell Berry is the greatest living American author". That would be difficult to argue.

As an aside (and one one generally negligible importance), I just learned that Wendell Berry and I share a birth date: August 5th!
    IMG

GlowGirl said:
    23scidoo said:
    I read that book - pretty good.

About 65 pages in and looks promising!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• D-DayD-Day Far From Home Posts: 317
    last one finished 
    Mickey 7 by Edward Ashton 

started
    Klara and the Sun by Kazuo Ishiguro

both upcoming movies + with futuristic beings:
    Mickey is a human and a renewed version of himself. Each time made to survive the next deadly mission on a distant planet.
    Klara is a AI being, something that  (some?) parents buy for teenage kids but seemingly for a different reason than just for fun. The AI just moved from the shop to a new home and was baffled by the first sunset out there.
    It’s written from the AI’s point of view and that hightech thing is a thinking being. Unforeseeable where this all leads.
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,862
    pretty damn interesting. I never gave much thought to what it would have been like to sail from england to cape horn in 1740.

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Wobbie said:
    pretty damn interesting. I never gave much thought to what it would have been like to sail from england to cape horn in 1740.

I got this on my list..film adaptation is coming..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

Well now, here's the thing: I've read piles of what are often referred to as classics, you know, Steinbeck, Hemingway, Fitzgerald, Faulkner, Harper Lee, Dostoevsky, Stein, Cather, Capote, Huxley, London, Kesey, Orwell, and on and on and on. Great stuff for the most part, though mostly depressing tragedies, but now and then some comedy, and, of course, tons of great writing.

But wait! Never A Farewell to Arms? Well, I must do something about that! I mean, after all, it's considered, as it says on the inside front dust jacket flap, "...one of the supreme literary achievements of our time." A must read, right? Right!

OK, well I'm about 120 pages in and so far we've got Frederick hanging out with Rinaldi, et al, and meets Catherine, whom he swears he will not fall in love with, and then off to war we go and he gets his legs all blown up, then suddenly we're in Milan and he's a mess and falls in love with Catherine anyway, and then its page after page of, "Oh darling this" and "Oh darling that", and "darling, darling, darling..." and, "You do love me, don't you?", and "Oh yes, darling, forever," and... Jiminy Cricket, what all!

Jeez Louise, please, tell me it gets better!

• PapPap Posts: 28,733

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
    Having quickly finished off the most disappointing Hemingway book I can imagine (A Farewell to Arms), I really wanted to get into a good read.  And OH did I find one!  Record producer extraordinaire Rick Rubin's The Creative Act: A Way of Being, is a collection of relatively short essays about creativity.  I'm only 25 pages in and already feel like this is a treasure trove of great ideas.  First off, I love it that Rubin starts off by saying:

Some ideas may resonate,
    others may not.
    A few may awaken and inner knowing
    you forgot you had.
    Use what's helpful.
    Let go of the rest.

But let's be honest here.  For those who read this book, some will love it, some will hate it.  But then, maybe a few of the haters might read the little verse above and not be so cynical.  
    Me?  I'm loving it.  I read a few of the essays to my wife and she's on board as well.

Pap said:

Thats a good one..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

Getting in the  spirit