Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    Ms. HaikuMs. Haiku Washington DC Posts: 7,250
    edited September 2023
    The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store by James McBride

On a different note, how do you read graphic novels? It's a different approach, isn't it? Do you spend more time trying to figure out the emotion of a scene or what? A bookstore near me has a graphic novel book club, and it would be a new way of reading for me.
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

On a different note, how do you read graphic novels? It's a different approach, isn't it? Do you spend more time trying to figure out the emotion of a scene or what? A bookstore near me has a graphic novel book club, and it would be a new way of reading for me.
    Graphic novels are great. Take extra time with the illustrations.
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I don't want to give anything away.  This book is a delight.  I was drawn to it while waiting around for my daughter to pick out a new YA novel at the bookstore.  If you care about the environment, or love nature, trees the woods etc, you will probably love this book.  I'm about 2/3 the way through and am really enjoying it.  Paging @brianlux I think you would really enjoy this one.

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    static111 said:
    I don't want to give anything away.  This book is a delight.  I was drawn to it while waiting around for my daughter to pick out a new YA novel at the bookstore.  If you care about the environment, or love nature, trees the woods etc, you will probably love this book.  I'm about 2/3 the way through and am really enjoying it.  Paging @brianlux I think you would really enjoy this one.

Thanks for the suggestion.  Other people have recommended it to me but to be honest, I tried and couldn't get into it.  Maybe I'll try again one of these days.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Thanks for the suggestion.  Other people have recommended it to me but to be honest, I tried and couldn't get into it.  Maybe I'll try again one of these days.

Not all books are for everyone that's for sure. At least you tried. 
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    static111 said:

Not all books are for everyone that's for sure. At least you tried. 

Good point!

My next read will be one I probably breeze through like I have all the many others by Henry Rollins- the new one, Sic:

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,279

Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    dudemandudeman Posts: 2,977
    edited September 2023
    Have been lazy about updating and slow going on reading, as I'm usually wiped out when I lay down to read at night.

Patient Zero seriously opened up a can of worms for me. I think I have read everything from Maberry and I just started Cave 13, which was released a couple weeks ago. 

His "Pine Deep Saga" might be my favorite trilogy of all time. 
    Post edited by dudeman on
    If hope can grow from dirt like me, it can be done. - EV
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,511
    The Memory Police  Ozongr
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    edited September 2023
    I just finished the poetry collection The Hurting Kind by Ada Limón. I've read quite a few poetry collections, but this is my new favorite book. She defines the close by looking beyond. 
    There is no such thing as leftover pizza. There is now pizza and later pizza. - anonymous
    The risk I took was calculated, but man, am I bad at math - The Mincing Mockingbird
  • Options
    Ms. Haiku said:

I finished The Heaven & Earth Grocery Store. I recommend. When I read it at parts I felt the action very deeply. There are loose ends, but overall well worth reading. 
  • Options
    Billy Summers The No 1 Sunday Times Bestseller Amazoncouk King  Stephen 9781529365726 Books
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    Listening to the audiobook, How to Say Babylon by Safiya Sinclair. She is a poet. I was looking forward to hear how she would say the words. Very good so far.

https://www.simonandschuster.com/books/How-to-Say-Babylon/Safiya-Sinclair/9781982132330
  • Options
    Amazoncom The Three-Body Problem 9780765382030 Liu Cixin Liu Ken  Books
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    23scidoo said:
    You'll love it!  One of the best series of books I have ever read.  Mind Blowing!
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    MalrothMalroth broken down chevrolet Posts: 2,485
     Not too far in....but probably going to be my favorite of the year.
    The worst of times..they don't phase me,
    even if I look and act really crazy.
  • Options
    static111 said:
    23scidoo said:
    You'll love it!  One of the best series of books I have ever read.  Mind Blowing!
    About 100 pages in and allready love it!!..it was on my list for years!!
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    The Dark Forest by Liu Cixin
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    I reread Salvage the Bones by Jesmyn Ward. I remember that the dog fight and Katrina were really intense scenes and I was almost scared to reread it again. The way she pulled me in with the detail was amazing. This time I realized it is probably the best book out there. I didn't notice the amount of love between the siblings and how they had to take on different roles. However, what is very unique that I noticed this time is that Ward wrote two simultaneous intense scenes. I didn't remember this from last time. I don't remember any other author doing this. The events are significant, and she writes them to occur at the same time like in real life. Incredible mastery. I strongly recommend this book.

• Options
    The journey comes to an end..
    Book Review Cixin Liu portrays a universe in peril in Deaths End
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Before Christmas I decided it was finally time to read the Sharpe Seies, since I've read everything else Bernard Cornwell.  Sharpe is his longest series, this will likely be split up.  Read the first 7 so far.

Sharpe's Tiger 

Sharpe' Triumph

Sharpe's Fortress

Sharpe's Trafalgar

Sharpe's Prey

Sharpe's Rifles

Sharpe's Havoc

Took a break and just read this:

And picked up this:

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    A fellow book dealer I know has a huge collection of this book- a copy of every printing and format he's been able to find over that last several decades*, so I figured it was time I give it a go.  After the first 100 pages or so, I'm finally starting to find it interesting.  Glad I've stuck with it. 
    Richard Henry Dana, Jr., Two Years Before the Mast.
    two years before the mast - First Edition - AbeBooks

*Probably more than 700 by now: https://www.finebooksmagazine.com/fine-books-news/collector-owns-nearly-700-editions-same-book

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    fantastic book. 2nd time I'm reading it. A true understanding of deer.  He also wrote Make Prayers to the Raven. Great book too.
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,548
    edited January 15
    ^ thanks LJ I'll give it a look. Do they like music aside from Bird Song?

Right now I have one upstairs  that was pictured on Jeff's shelves. 
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139
    Spunkie said:

This is a great book. If you like it and horror, I recommend his other books, Mongrels and My Heart is a Chainsaw.
  • Options
    I do not like horror! I try to avoid that... I'm sure the nap I just had had nothing to do with the book even though sleep doesn't find me easily and very infrequently during the day!
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    Currently enjoying Dave Grohl’s The Storyteller (expanded) and was cueing this up next and I noticed for the first time this noted on the back cover.

I have no idea how common a practice this is but I really like it! I still have a pile to read through before I go shopping but when I do I’m going to try to remember to look for this. It could help justify the continued existence of physical books as well (since isn’t paper (wood or other fibres?) essentially a renewable resource if managed properly, lol?).
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,795
    edited January 16
    Spunkie said:

Cool cover. I don't think deer like music. Anything out of the norm should send them running. The local herd may tolerate it.
    Post edited by Loujoe on
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,139
    Spunkie said:
    I do not like horror! I try to avoid that... I'm sure the nap I just had had nothing to do with the book even though sleep doesn't find me easily and very infrequently during the day!
    Uh oh! Good luck with the book! It’s a good one, but definitely horror. 😃 
  • Options
    edited January 16
    ^ I'll try again tomorrow. Won't hurt to try a different scary genre!

For now: The table of contents page looks promising of a new book q̓apkiǂ

Post edited by Spunkie on