What book are you reading?

Comments

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586

Has anyone read Wuthering Heights? I hear mixed reviews.

Yeah, read it a few times in college. Recall it being a bit of a yawn but not bad overall.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,586
    23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

This is next for me, have been meaning to start for a few days. Life keeps getting in the way.
    Have you read Mr. Mercedes??..
    Indeed, albeit a few years ago.
    Can't wait for the last book of trilogy..
    It is out now....just need to read this one first. (Still havent started it....darn you life for getting in the way of reading!)
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242

Yes I have. After years and years of avoiding it cause I was under the impression is was a chicks book, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was not at all what I thought. I didn't see it as this great romance novel. There are a few people in the book that could do with a clip across the ear to wake them up but I enjoyed it.

The bolded part is how I felt about Jane Eyre. Did not enjoy that book.
    ELITIST FUK
  • jeffbrjeffbr Seattle Posts: 7,177
    23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

23scidoo said:

This is next for me, have been meaning to start for a few days. Life keeps getting in the way.
    Have you read Mr. Mercedes??..
    Indeed, albeit a few years ago.
    Can't wait for the last book of trilogy..
    I just finished the last book. Always sad saying goodbye to characters after finishing a series. It was a fun trilogy!
    "I'll use the magic word - let's just shut the fuck up, please." EV, 04/13/08
  • dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    SD48277 said:

Yes I have. After years and years of avoiding it cause I was under the impression is was a chicks book, I was pleasantly surprised to discover it was not at all what I thought. I didn't see it as this great romance novel. There are a few people in the book that could do with a clip across the ear to wake them up but I enjoyed it.

The bolded part is how I felt about Jane Eyre. Did not enjoy that book.
    Unfortunately, everybody usually reads Anne last, and she's the best of the Brontë bunch.

Give The Tenant of Wildfell Hall a try. Great epistolary novel -- perhaps the first -- that was way ahead of its time.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Thoughts_ArriveThoughts_Arrive Melbourne, Australia Posts: 15,165
    edited July 2016

Yeah, read it a few times in college. Recall it being a bit of a yawn but not bad overall.
    Cool. Is it a long read? I don't think I will be able to finish it before my next semester at uni starts.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Another book I was interested in reading was Clockwork Orange.
    I cannot be bothered looking up translations from Nadsat to English.
    Adelaide 17/11/2009, Melbourne 20/11/2009, Sydney 22/11/2009, Melbourne (Big Day Out Festival) 24/01/2014
    Read A Clockwork Orange, much better imo. Much!
  • brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,592

Read A Clockwork Orange, much better imo. Much!

Yes, and hopefully a copy with the glossary in the back!

I'm reading The Adventures of Sajo and her Beaver People by Grey Owl in which I learned a baby beavers are called a "kittens" (or in modern times, a "kit").
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Who PrincessWho Princess out here in the fields Posts: 7,305

IMHO it's better to read it without a glossary or looking up translations. The glossary wasn't Anthony Burgess's idea. You get the meaning of words by their context, how they're used in the story. That's the way we usually learn new words anyway. It will seem confusing at first but think of it as being around someone who uses slang that you're not familiar with.
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,382
    OMG, this is funny!

If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003

get ahold of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest too. Loved that book.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

get ahold of One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest too. Loved that book.

Yeah I have read that not long ago, loved it so much I had to see the movie so I bought it. And I also wrote a song based on the novel/film. I have a demo online :)
    I bought Wuthering Heights yesterday. I have read 50 pages only despite reading for hours on end. It took me a while to understand who is who and relations between characters. Also the Yorkshire dialect is confusing. In addition I have to keep looking up definitions of words online and referring to the notes in the book. So far I am enjoying it but it is not an easy read. I don't know how I will finish it before I head back to university tomorrow week.
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    habakkuk chapter 1 and 2...
    Read some of this on the "throne" today:

“Someone has described religious warfare as “killing people over who has the best invisible friend.”
    ― Bobby Henderson, The Gospel of the Flying Spaghetti Monster
  • bluegracebluegrace Posts: 2,357
    About to read Marguerite Duras The Lover, a friend of mine lent it to me, so I'd better start reading...
    Kool Kat Club 1992, Moderna museet 1992, Globen 2012, Friends arena 2014
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,413
    Just finished The Great Gatsby (not quite sure what to make of it, still digesting it, I think, lol). Going back to safer territory (for me, lol) with H.G. Wells' The War Of The Worlds.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022

I bought Wuthering Heights yesterday. I have read 50 pages only despite reading for hours on end. It took me a while to understand who is who and relations between characters. Also the Yorkshire dialect is confusing. In addition I have to keep looking up definitions of words online and referring to the notes in the book. So far I am enjoying it but it is not an easy read. I don't know how I will finish it before I head back to university tomorrow week.

Might I suggest just reading through the book without looking up definitions and notes and give yourself a chance to absorb the language. You might be surprised with how much you do understand simply by immersing yourself in the language. If there are words you can't figure out, sure make a list of them, mark the spot and look them up when you're finished.

hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • LanaJayLanaJay Posts: 524
    The Martian - Andy Weir

Might I suggest just reading through the book without looking up definitions and notes and give yourself a chance to absorb the language. You might be surprised with how much you do understand simply by immersing yourself in the language. If there are words you can't figure out, sure make a list of them, mark the spot and look them up when you're finished.

Thank you for the tip.
    I finished the book the other night.
    Great read. Even though I hated Joseph and most of the characters.
  • samjamsamjam New York Posts: 9,283
    Balzac & The Little Chinese Seamastress. I really am enjoying this one, I'm almost done.
    "Sometimes you find yourself having to put all your faith in no faith."
    ~not a dude~
    2010: MSGx2
    2012: Made In America
    2013: Pittsburgh, Brooklynx2, Hartford, Baltimore
    2014: Leeds, Milton Keynes, Detroit
    2015: Global Citizen Festival
    2016: Phillyx2, MSGx2, Fenwayx2
    2018: Barcelona, Wrigleyx2
  • JWPearlJWPearl Posts: 19,893
    book of psalms to be precise 37;12-17...
    edited August 2016

Thank you for the tip.
    lol. yeah the lot of them needed a good slap.

the joy luck club - amy tan

Post edited by catefrances on
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say

Thank you for the tip.
    lol. yeah the lot of them needed a good slap.

That is what I kept thinking, they were such spoilt brats.
    samjam said:

Balzac & The Little Chinese Seamastress. I really am enjoying this one, I'm almost done.

I read that one several years ago when it hit the shelves. Excellent book!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • JogillJogill Posts: 4,549
    The gray and guilty sea by Scott William Carter
    late PJ bloomer- what was I doing in the 90's that I didn't know who Pearl Jam was???
  • SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,242
    I'll Sleep When I'm Dead: The Dirty Life and Times of Warren Zevon.
    ELITIST FUK
  • 23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,412
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..