Options

What book are you reading?

Comments

• Options
    kw18kw18 Posts: 3,909
    kw18 wrote:

Now I'm starting this, again:

51DpZmTs3vL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg

I've started it once before, but put it down and never got around to picking it back up until now. Interesting stuff.

So when I went to start reading this book, I couldn't find it. :fp:

Instead, I read this:

The-Physics-of-Star-Trek.jpg

Not bad, but I was hoping for more Star Trek goodness and less of a physics lesson.

Seeing how I still can't find my Kaku book, I'm on to this:

513s0h8YFEL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    So my goal this year is to read 60 books. I think it's a pretty big goal, so I'll feel accomplished even if I hit only half that number.

Suffice it to say, I've got nothing on this kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WZyRyJA7N8
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    kw18 wrote:
    So my goal this year is to read 60 books. I think it's a pretty big goal, so I'll feel accomplished even if I hit only half that number.

Suffice it to say, I've got nothing on this kid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... WZyRyJA7N8

Awesome! :D
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    afroannnie wrote:
    kw18 wrote:

Awesome! :D

+1

Just started this, it just came out and I put it in front of 50 or so books I have waiting for me. Damn you Amazon and pre-ordering! LOL. (#3 in a series)
    51JsA%2Beh79L._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-arrow-click,TopRight,35,-76_AA300_SH20_OU01_.jpg
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    kw18 wrote:

love it but lets face it the books she reads have a lot of pictures in them. I hope she keeps reading. :)

as for your target of 60,.. its doable. one book might take you 6 days and another just 2. and some you get so absorbed in you fly through them in less than a day.then theres those books that you struggle to click with and those need to be kicked to the kerb. let us know how youre going. :thumbup:

re reading into thin air - jon krakaeur
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    peacefrompaulpeacefrompaul Posts: 25,293
    kw18 wrote:

Congratulations, you may surpass my lifetime total. I'll have to do some thinking. :lol:
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

Congratulations, you may surpass my lifetime total. I'll have to do some thinking. :lol:

no.. what youll have to do is some READING. :P
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

no.. what youll have to do is some READING. :P

Now that I'm paying for internet I'll be getting my money's worth. :lol:

Maybe some e-books.
  • Options
    Maybe some e-books.

blasphemy!!
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    Maybe some e-books.

blasphemy!!

It's my body! I'll do what I want!
  • Options
    Maybe some e-books.

blasphemy!!

It's my body! I'll do what I want!

:lol::lol::lol:
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
  • Options
    MaxGoldenrodMaxGoldenrod Posts: 1,341
    A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson
    "Then the Spirit of God hovered over the water, and God said, Let there be music, and there was Pearl Jam."

Whose idea was it for the word "Lisp" to have an "S" in it?
  • Options
    ByrnzieByrnzie Posts: 21,037
    The Spell of the Sensuous: Perception and Language in a More-Than-Human World - David Abram

48582.jpg

David Abram draws on sources as diverse as the philosophy of Merleau-Ponty, Balinese shamanism, Apache storytelling, and his own experience as an accomplished sleight-of-hand magician to reveal the subtle dependence of human cognition on the natural environment. He explores the character of perception and excavates the sensual foundations of language, which--even at its most abstract--echoes the calls and cries of the earth. On every page of this lyrical work, Abram weaves his arguments with passion and intellectual daring.

"Long awaited, revolutionary...This book ponders the violent disconnection of the body from the natural world and what this means about how we live and die in it." -Los Angeles Times

David Abram's writing casts a spell of its own as he weaves the reader through a meticulously researched work that gently addresses such seemingly daunting topics as where the past and future exist, the relationship between space and time, and how the written word serves to sever humans from their primordial source of sustenance: the earth.

"Only as the written text began to speak would the voices of the forest, and of the river, begin to fade. And only then would language loosen its ancient associations with the invisible breath, the spirit sever itself from the wind, the psyche dissociate itself from the environing air," writes Abram of the separation caused by the proliferation of the written word.

'In writing The Spell of the Sensuous, Abram consulted an engaging collection of peoples and works. He uses aboriginal song lines, stories from the Koyukon people of northwestern Alaska, the philosophy of phenomenology, and the speeches of Socrates to paint a poetic landscape that explains how we became separated from the earth in the first place. With minimal environmental doomsaying, Abram discusses how we can begin to recover a sustainable relationship with the earth and the nonhuman beings who live among us--in the more-than-human world' - Kathryn True

'How did Western civilization become so estranged from nonhuman nature that we condone the ongoing destruction of forests, rivers, valleys, species and ecosystems? Santa Fe ecologist/philosopher Abram's search for an answer to this dilemma led him to mingle with shamans in Nepal and sorcerers in Indonesia, where he studied how traditional healers monitor relations between the human community and the animate environment. In this stimulating inquiry, he also delves into the philosophy of phenomenologists Edmund Husserl and Maurice Merleau-Ponty, who replaced the conventional view of a single, wholly determinable reality with a fluid picture of the mind/body as a participatory organism that reciprocally interacts with its surroundings. Abram blames the invention of the phonetic alphabet for triggering a trend toward increasing abstraction and alienation from nature. He gleans insights into how to heal the rift from Australian aborigines' concept of the Dreamtime (the perpetual emerging of the world from chaos), the Navajo concept of a Holy Wind and the importance of breath in Jewish mysticism' - Publishers Weekly
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,024
    Time for some summer reading.

Finished Stargirl and Hatchet over the weekend and just started up Ender's Game. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm really starting to like it.
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    kw18 wrote:

love it but lets face it the books she reads have a lot of pictures in them. I hope she keeps reading. :)

as for your target of 60,.. its doable. one book might take you 6 days and another just 2. and some you get so absorbed in you fly through them in less than a day.then theres those books that you struggle to click with and those need to be kicked to the kerb. let us know how youre going. :thumbup:

re reading into thin air - jon krakaeur

Thanks! I'm reading book No. 21 right now. I was doing really well at the beginning of the year, but May took a bit hit when I moved and found myself wrapped up with a lot of house projects. Life, ya know? :fp:

But I'm hopeful for some lazy weekends this summer to make a big dent in the list. At some point this year, I'll try reading Edgar Rice Burroughs' Mars books series ... they're only about 150 pages each, so I'm hoping I can get into them enough to go through them at a pretty decent click.
    "Where's KW?"
    "Let's check Idaho."
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,795
    LukinFan wrote:
    Time for some summer reading.

Finished Stargirl and Hatchet over the weekend and just started up Ender's Game. I'm only a few chapters in, but I'm really starting to like it.

Great book and many of the series are also good. (Ender)
    Stoked to see they are making a movie. First read this in about 1990 and my buddy and I wanted there to be a movie version so badly. Now, 20+ years later we will get a shot to see it.
  • Options
    BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,575
    Charlie and the Angels by Alex Caine

Its about the Hells Angles, Outlaws, & Bandidios Mortorcycle Clubs......not a bad read so far
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
  • Options
    gunter1976gunter1976 Posts: 587
    I Pass Like Night, by Jonathan Ames

When Alexander Vine finishes his work day, he leaves his post as a doorman at Manhattan's exclusive Four Seasons restaurant -- and enters a nighttime landscape of chance and danger, excitement and reinvention in the city's erotic underworld. Walking a tightrope between sexual desire and self-extinction, Alexander Vine charts his destructive course -- and his struggle for redemption -- with startling, unadorned clarity.
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

My Fugazi Live Series ramblings and blog: anothersievefistedfind.tumblr.com
  • Options
    So many series where I have read the 1st book or two and now need to get back to them. Love the series' but it messes with the "reading pile" that stares at me every day. :D

10790277.jpg
  • Options
    vant0037vant0037 Posts: 6,083
    churchill.jpg

I think every one was very worried that the trilogy would never be finished after Manchester died in 2003, but here it is, the final volume on Churchill, finished with the help of Paul Reid. I actually never read the first volume (covering Churchill's time in India and as a lower British statesmen), but the middle volume, Alone(covering his isolation in British politics, followed by his rise to PM) was fantastic.

I'm only about 30 pages in (of 1,100!) but it's vintage Manchester and vintage Churchill so far.
    1998-06-30 Minneapolis
    2003-06-16 St. Paul
    2006-06-26 St. Paul
    2007-08-05 Chicago
    2009-08-23 Chicago
    2009-08-28 San Francisco
    2010-05-01 NOLA (Jazz Fest)
    2011-07-02 EV Minneapolis
    2011-09-03 PJ20
    2011-09-04 PJ20
    2011-09-17 Winnipeg
    2012-06-26 Amsterdam
    2012-06-27 Amsterdam
    2013-07-19 Wrigley
    2013-11-21 San Diego
    2013-11-23 Los Angeles
    2013-11-24 Los Angeles
    2014-07-08 Leeds, UK
    2014-07-11 Milton Keynes, UK
    2014-10-09 Lincoln
    2014-10-19 St. Paul
    2014-10-20 Milwaukee
    2016-08-20 Wrigley 1
    2016-08-22 Wrigley 2
    2018-06-18 London 1
    2018-08-18 Wrigley 1
    2018-08-20 Wrigley 2
    2022-09-16 Nashville
    2023-08-31 St. Paul
    2023-09-02 St. Paul
    2023-09-05 Chicago 1
  • Options
    A Stranger In This World, by Kevin Canty.

In the tradition of the works of Raymond Carver and Richard Ford, this fiction debut shines with verbal brilliance. Disturbing yet compellingly readable, the stories in this collection explore the gap between disappointment and hope, between life as it could be and life as it is.
    "...bring it back someway bring it back, back, back... to the clean form, to the pure form..."

• Options
    The Bottoms, by Joe R. Lansdale

A thriller with echoes of William Faulkner and Harper Lee, The Bottoms is classic American storytelling in its truest, darkest, and more affecting form.

Its 1933 in East Texas and the Depression lingers in the air like a slow moving storm. When a young Harry Collins and his little sister stumble across the body of a black woman who has been savagely mutilated and left to die in the bottoms of the Sabine River, their small town is instantly charged with tension. When a second body turns up, this time of a white woman, there is little Harry can do from stopping his Klan neighbors from lynching an innocent black man. Together with his younger sister, Harry sets out to discover who the real killer is, and to do so they will search for a truth that resides far deeper than any river or skin color.

• Options
    afroannnieafroannnie Posts: 12,995
    Finished this...I might have to check out some other prion books...so much is still unknown...

familythatcouldnotsleep.jpg

I think I'll start this tonight...

200px-Joyland.jpg
    Show #13 was a lucky one for me....
  • Options
    SD48277SD48277 Woodstock, NY Posts: 12,243
    The Master and Margarita, by Mikhail Bulgakov.
    ELITIST FUK
  • Options
    ldent42ldent42 NYC Posts: 7,859
    Half the Sky. AGAIN.
    NYC 06/24/08-Auckland 11/27/09-Chch 11/29/09-Newark 05/18/10-Atlanta 09/22/12-Chicago 07/19/13-Brooklyn 10/18/13 & 10/19/13-Hartford 10/25/13-Baltimore 10/27/13-Auckland 1/17/14-GC 1/19/14-Melbourne 1/24/14-Sydney 1/26/14-Amsterdam 6/16/14 & 6/17/14-Milan 6/20/14-Berlin 6/26/14-Leeds 7/8/14-Milton Keynes 7/11/14-St. Louis 10/3/14-NYC 9/26/15
    LIVEFOOTSTEPS.ORG/USER/?USR=435
  • Options
    Edge Of Dark Water, by Joe R. Lansdale

May Lynn dreamed of being a movie star. But her future was short, and it wasn't on the silver screen. It was down in the dark depths of the Sabine River with a sewing machine wired to her feet.

In Depression-era Texas, a better life is hard to come by. May Lynn's friends Sue Ellen, Terry and Jinx know they need to leave, and now they have a reason - they're going to take May's ashes all the way to Hollywood.

But silent obstacles stand in their way: a family's worth of betrayal, a fortune's worth of stolen gold, and a legendary killer who'll stop at nothing...

Joe R. Lansdale is one of the great American crime writers and Edge of Dark Water shows him at his finest. If you haven't read him yet, you're missing out.

• Options
    Pjzepp67Pjzepp67 Posts: 445
    edited June 2013
    Feersum Endjinn...Iain M Banks

I felt I had to re-read this book this week in tribute to one of our greatest ever Scottish writers that we sadly lost to cancer last weekend. A severe blow indeed to our literary battalion.
    Post edited by Pjzepp67 on
  • Options
    justamjustam Posts: 21,402
    I'm reading an excellent book called "Eat to live." It's all about how eating nutritionally dense foods rather than nutritionally empty foods can transform your health.

It's inspiring! :)
    &&&&&&&&&&&&&&
  • Options
    Dr. DelightDr. Delight Posts: 11,210
    n4359.jpg

Spooky
    And so you see, I have come to doubt
    All that I once held as true
    I stand alone without beliefs
    The only truth I know is you.
  • Options
    STAYSEASTAYSEA Posts: 3,814
    n4359.jpg

Spooky

Hmm. He did not mention this in the monthly newsletter. I have never heard about it. I own 70% of his books.

I'm seriously slacking.

Desperately, I'm trying to finish this book.

m.php?b=HjtNqSxeuXCVbr_DnM4kmA

Spoiler alert.... I think she's going to marry Sam.