Options

The Departed

Comments

• Options
    NOCODE#1NOCODE#1 Posts: 1,478
    sponger wrote:
    The fact that he was warned by Damon is my point. Kingpins don't become kingpins by making "ego" decisions. They're cold and calculating.

To bring the movie to a quick close, Jack's character had to be "dumbed down" to someone who bases his decisions on his ego.

So, the fact that Jack Nicholson showed up to a drug deal even though he knew he had a rat in his crew is plot hole of the film. Any semi-intelligent king pin would've sent a captain to do it for him. In the theater, Leo has the ringer off. In the alley way, his ringer is on. It's a plot hole that was created so that the movie wouldn't end too soon.

so ringer off in a movie theater is not believable :rolleyes: the million times they tell you to silence your cell phone????????????

Jack didnt think he was going to die, he wanted to cash out with the FBI

he knew his days were numbered.
    Let's not be negative now. Thumper has spoken
  • Options
    spongersponger Posts: 3,160
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    so ringer off in a movie theater is not believable :rolleyes: the million times they tell you to silence your cell phone????????????

So, he turns the ringer back on before pursuing a suspect? Remember, as you keep making excuses for these plot holes, you also dumb down the main characters.
    Jack didnt think he was going to die, he wanted to cash out with the FBI

he knew his days were numbered.

If this was true, he wouldn't have driven through a hail of gunfire to escape.
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,836
    As far as I'm concerned, the movie is an entertaining thing to watch. Isn't that what movies are supposed to be? People can bitch and cry about plot holes or analyze it to death all they want, but in the end, it's most definitely one of the most satisfying movies I have seen in a long time, that warrants all of the praise that it got. Some people go in with a sour face on almost wanting it to be bad because everyone else in the world thinks it's a good movie, trying to find something to rip on. It was simply entertaining, and the fact that it got Best Picture recognizes that to me.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Good to read. I rented two movies last night: Little Miss Sunshine and The Departed. I watched Little Miss SUnshine last night and thought it was brilliant!!! Now, I am as excited about The Departed as well. :D
  • Options
    As far as I'm concerned, the movie is an entertaining thing to watch. Isn't that what movies are supposed to be? People can bitch and cry about plot holes or analyze it to death all they want, but in the end, it's most definitely one of the most satisfying movies I have seen in a long time, that warrants all of the praise that it got. Some people go in with a sour face on almost wanting it to be bad because everyone else in the world thinks it's a good movie, trying to find something to rip on. It was simply entertaining, and the fact that it got Best Picture recognizes that to me.

That's a great way of saying that you just didn't notice the plot holes and are now upset that someone else did.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    So, he turns the ringer back on before pursuing a suspect? Remember, as you keep making excuses for these plot holes, you also dumb down the main characters.

If this was true, he wouldn't have driven through a hail of gunfire to escape.
    HE THOUGHT IT WAS A TRAP HE DIDNT THINK MATT WAS GONNA START A GUNFIRE PARADE.
  • Options
    Some people go in with a sour face on almost wanting it to be bad
    his name is sponger
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    That's a great way of saying that you just didn't notice the plot holes and are now upset that someone else did.

hey comic book guy put down the keyboard, go back to comtemplating who would win a race the flash or superman.

all your holes have been answered. but please continue to run your mouth.
  • Options
    NOCODE#1 wrote:
    HE THOUGHT IT WAS A TRAP HE DIDNT THINK MATT WAS GONNA START A GUNFIRE PARADE.

Doesn't matter. Common sense dictates that fleeing a drug raid will draw police gunfire.

Also, you're still speculating that he actually wanted to get caught. This is in spite of the fact that he ordered matt damon to call off the tail and went out of his way to sniff out the rat. You think it's all because he wanted to get caught?

Again, his common sense had to be dumbed down so the movie could draw to the close.

I understand that you really like the movie, so I'm not surprised to see you so desperately defend an obviously flawed plot line with equally flawed logic. But, you really got to have more respect for yourself.
    hey comic book guy put down the keyboard, go back to comtemplating who would win a race the flash or superman.
    all your holes have been answered. but please continue to run your mouth.

awwee..poor baby want to cry? did I hurt your feelings?
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,836
    sponger wrote:

No, it's a good movie that I enjoyed. I'm not Roger Ebert. I take film classes to analyze movies. I go to them to enjoy them.
    Besides, it's tough to find a movie that's 100 percent flawless anyways. If we have to pull out the negative parts of every movie and examine them instead of the mostly positive parts of the movies like you yourself do, then no one would go to the movies and every movie would be a negativity fest.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    No, it's a good movie that I enjoyed. I'm not Roger Ebert. I take film classes to analyze movies. I go to them to enjoy them.
    Besides, it's tough to find a movie that's 100 percent flawless anyways. If we have to pull out the negative parts of every movie and examine them instead of the mostly positive parts of the movies like you yourself do, then no one would go to the movies and every movie would be a negativity fest.

I enjoyed the movie as well. I don't expect movies to be completely without inconsistencies. I didn't say it was a bad movie or that it wasn't deserving of accolades. But, these inconsistencies were, to me, pretty obvious and they made it hard for me to enjoy the movie as much as I would like to have.

I think it could've been done better, and I don't think it was deserving of best picture.

And you, for instance, look beyond the inconsistencies and appreciate the movie for its entertainment value. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with that.

But, what if you started actually trying to make me believe that those inconsistencies didn't exist? And what if you got to the point where you became rude and insulting just because someone wouldn't see it your way?

Wouldn't you say that's a little fanatical? A little beyond a mere appreciation for cinematic entertainment?

And that's what I'm defending myself against here. I'm not knocking the movie. I'm trying to help someone who has lost his grip on reality regain his grip one step at a time.
  • Options
    polaris wrote:
    anyone else seen the original and thought this was mediocre?

I like so much more the korean movie called ‘Infernal Affairs’
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me...
  • Options
    LedZepFanLedZepFan Posts: 1,009
    Let me address these two plot holes by saying:

the cell phone ring is actually an inconsistency, not a plot hole. it happens.

the ending...well, what we're missing here, in my opinion, is that to become a kingpin yes, you do need an ego and, in this case, i believe we're dealing with a pyschotic. Therefore I think it's perfectly plausible that Costello would go to the deal out of ego and in addition being that he is more or less portrayed as a pyschotic, we shouldn't really be expecting him to be making rational decisions across the board.
    I've faced it, a life wasted, and I'm never going back again.

Some die just to live.
  • Options
    RyeGuyRyeGuy Posts: 215
    Decent movie. I liked the way it ended. Good acting from the all-star cast.
    "Makes much more sense to live in the present tense." Ed Ved

"No one cares about climbing stairs, Nothing at the top no more." Chris Cornell
  • Options
    LedZepFan wrote:
    Let me address these two plot holes by saying:

the cell phone ring is actually an inconsistency, not a plot hole. it happens.

When an inconsistency has a direct impact on the outcome of the movie, it then becomes a plot hole. If leo hadn't turned his ringer back on, he probably would've caught up with Matt Damon. In which case, the rest of the movie would've turned out differently. Plot hole.

the ending...well, what we're missing here, in my opinion, is that to become a kingpin yes, you do need an ego and, in this case, i believe we're dealing with a pyschotic. Therefore I think it's perfectly plausible that Costello would go to the deal out of ego and in addition being that he is more or less portrayed as a pyschotic, we shouldn't really be expecting him to be making rational decisions across the board.

In reality, psychotics are known to ascend to the highest reaches of power on both sides of the law. Being psychotic doesn't always mean compromising logic. It just means there is a serious emotional imbalance - a "vacancy" in the emotions department.

He was a kingpin for a period spanning several decades according to the movie. This means he knows how to make decisions.

Think of all the real-life mafia bosses over the years who have been brought down. Were any of them ever caught red-handed? The answer is no. It was always an "underling" who testified as a witness that closed the deal.

That's why I say that any competent king pin would've sent a captain in his place.
  • Options
    strummersstrummers Posts: 2,611

Infernal Affairs is shit hot compared to this completely dumbed down version.

Watch Infernal Affairs - it treats its audience with respect and credits them with a bit of intellignece!
    http://www.wishlistfoundation.org
    http://www.strummersphotography.com

<object width="360" height="300"><param name="movie" value="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><PARAM NAME=FlashVars VALUE="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow"><embed src="http://www.redbubble.com/swf/redbubble.swf&quot; FlashVars="url=http://www.redbubble.com/people/strummers/works/visual.atom?campaign=sales_widget&mode=slideshow&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="360" height="300"></embed></object>
  • Options
    Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    I thought Blood Diamond was way, way, way, way, way, way, way way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way, way better than the Departed. I make this comparison only becuase DiCaprio was in both. The Departed was good, but Best Picture??????
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,279
    DUDE! its a FUCKING movie! relax......a damn good movie as well.

get a life.

sponger wrote:
    Doesn't matter. Common sense dictates that fleeing a drug raid will draw police gunfire.

Also, you're still speculating that he actually wanted to get caught. This is in spite of the fact that he ordered matt damon to call off the tail and went out of his way to sniff out the rat. You think it's all because he wanted to get caught?

Again, his common sense had to be dumbed down so the movie could draw to the close.

I understand that you really like the movie, so I'm not surprised to see you so desperately defend an obviously flawed plot line with equally flawed logic. But, you really got to have more respect for yourself.

awwee..poor baby want to cry? did I hurt your feelings?
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    DUDE! its a FUCKING movie! relax......a damn good movie as well.

get a life.

That's really a biased statement considering that I am responding no more frequently and with no greater enthusiasm than the people I am responding to.

The fact that you choose to tell me instead of them to get a life means that, from your point of view, only people who enjoy this movie have a life.

So, with that in mind, I guess you think you have a life because you enjoy this movie. Whatever floats ur boat.
  • Options
    Galaxie2X4Galaxie2X4 Posts: 151
    Departed=Overrated

Blood Diamond=Best movie of year
    "My Cadillac's sittin in the back, it isn't me, I'm going home in my Galaxy"
    S. Hoon

"My body's nobody's body but mine. You run your own body, let me run mine" Chicago '95

Franken '08
  • Options
    aNiMaLaNiMaL Posts: 7,118
    Two days later and I am still thinking about this movie.

Great fucking flick!! Another Scorsese masterpiece!!!
  • Options
    i shall repeat myself, please get a life. life's too short to be obsessed with this damn movie. enjoy your time on this earth! lose the bitterness and you will find happiness.

god speed.
    sponger wrote:
    That's really a biased statement considering that I am responding no more frequently and with no greater enthusiasm than the people I am responding to.

The fact that you choose to tell me instead of them to get a life means that, from your point of view, only people who enjoy this movie have a life.

So, with that in mind, I guess you think you have a life because you enjoy this movie. Whatever floats ur boat.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    aNiMaL wrote:
    Two days later and I am still thinking about this movie.

Great fucking flick!! Another Scorsese masterpiece!!!

agreed. one of the best movies of the last ten years.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    i shall repeat myself, please get a life. life's too short to be obsessed with this damn movie. enjoy your time on this earth! lose the bitterness and you will find happiness.

god speed.

I think you are jumping to conclusions and pretending like you actually have a point to make. If you don't have anything to contribute to this thread, then why bother posting to it? Basically, you're being a spammer.

Besides, you are the one with the higher daily post count, so maybe you should be getting some sunlight...and by that I mean other than from your paper route.
  • Options
    sponger wrote:
    Besides, you are the one with the higher daily post count, so maybe you should be getting some sunlight...and by that I mean other than from your paper route.

lol. you have 2,200 some posts. i am at a thousand or so.

get a life.

but, i still love you! big kisses.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    RayneRayne Posts: 99
    Back to the point of this thread...

THE DEPARTED KICKS ASS! Best movie of the DECADE. Hell yeah.
    Underneath this smile lies everything...How I choose to feel, is how I AM!
    No matter how cold the winter, there's a spring time ahead.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~**~*~*~**~*~*~
  • Options
    lol. you have 2,200 some posts. i am at a thousand or so.

get a life.

but, i still love you! big kisses.

The term "average daily" means taking the total number of posts and dividing by the numbers of days you've been a member.

A real-life example for you to practice with would be taking your weekly salary and dividing it by the number of newspapers you deliver in a week. This will give you the average amount of money you make per newspaper that you deliver.
  • Options
    polarispolaris Posts: 3,527

it was hong kong but yeah ... the original was way better ... i say if you're gonna re-do a movie - you have to make it better and this one didn't come close to me ...
  • Options
    DanimalDanimal Posts: 2,000
    Blood Diamond SUCKED ASS! How could anyone like that piece of garbage. So unrealisitic it wasn't even funny! Leo didn't even have a good South African accent!

This could NEVER EVER EVER EVER happen in real life!!! WHAT A CROCK! I want my 10 bucks back!!! So stupid. Just kidding. I didn't even see it. I want to though.

Saw Departed. It was pretty good.
    "I don't believe in PJ fans but I believe there is something, not too sure what." - Thoughts_Arrive

• Options
    catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    i just saw it last night. OMFG scorsese.
    i was speechless. totally floored.
    fucking bloody brilliant.
    and mark wahlberg, shit man. lordy he was good.
    i was so overcome with emotion. still am i think.
    the ending, oh my. oh my.
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say