Options

DEVIN HESTER?? question for the sports geeks...

Comments

• Options
    He already broke Gayle Sayers team record....and he was an okay return man!
    exactly....

sayers is a great comparison.....

sayers career lasted only 48 games?????(again ill check the exact number in a second)

and football "experts" will tell you that Sayers was the greatest pure runner to ever play the game.....now he didnt put up the numbers that payton,brown,sanders, or smith did....because of longevity.....but that doesnt mean sayers wasnt a better runner than all of them.....

they dont have to kick the ball to Hester for the next 10 years.....but hester has to be considered the greatest return man ever to play the game.....right????
    Take me piece by piece.....
    Till there aint nothing left worth taking away from me.....
  • Options
    Angelo cannot fuck this up. He has to realize what a special guy this is. I'd pay him whatever he wanted.

If I were GM of the Bears, he would be my offeason moves:

- Sign Briggs to a fair 5 yr deal and rescind the Franchise tag.
    I really don't see this happening. If we miss the payoffs, which is more than likely to happen, he is adios.
    - Sign Berrian to a hearty 3 year deal.
    Agreed. He just needs to stop dropping sure first downs.
    - Sign Grossman to a cheap-incentive laden 2 year deal.(I mean I think he'd even be a decent back-up if not the starter)
    I love Rexy but even that might be a waste. What kind of incentives are they going to impose? That his TD/INT differential be at least -4, instead of -100?
    - Sign Hester to a huge contract ASAP. Slap Franchise tag on him.
    Absolutely.
    - Release Griese.
    Yeah, this guy, other than the two minute drill in Philly has been pretty much like bad Rex.
    - Get rid of everyone on the O-Line except Kruetz.
    This one I have to disagree with. Garza is still pretty young and moves well. His pass blocking needs to improve though. Olin is a Bear through and through. Tait, Brown and Miller are up there and it shows.
    - DRAFT O-LINE. Maybe a safety. Maybe a QB in the later rounds.
    We definitely need OTs, in the draft or free agency. Safety depends on whether Mike Brown decides to stay or not, then, they have to worry about him staying healthy all season.
    - Unfortunatley, we may have to let Aybendejo go though.
    This one I dont get. Why? Is he going to expect big money?
    - Fire Ron Turner.
    Agreed. John Shoop, Jr.
    - Release Adam Archuletta.
    What a fuggin waste this clown is. He gets burned every game, misses tackles or gets blocked out of the play almost every snap.
    I'm so dangerous I smoke dynamite.

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    He is the most dangerous player in football. I mean he is single handedly making teams change their game plan to adjust for him.
    He doesn't touch the ball enough to be the "most dangerous player in football". A Randy Moss or T.O. or healthy Adrian Peterson is far more dangerous. And plenty of playes have game plans adjusted speciifcally for them.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    they dont have to kick the ball to Hester for the next 10 years.....but hester has to be considered the greatest return man ever to play the game.....right????

I would say YES.

This is an interesting article about return men (doesn't include Hester because its from like 2005). But comparing what Hester has done, certainly makes it seem like he's the best return man ever....even if its only thru 1.5 seasons!

http://www.coldhardfootballfacts.com/Article.php?Page=471&Category=11
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    the guy is making a fucking joke of the record book in less that 2 seasons....

they can stop kicking to him altogether.....right this second...

and he would have to be considered the greatest return man EVER to play the game.......right???

even if he never returned another kick.....right?????

That's one of those things where his career is too short to say. Plus he hasn't won anything and does have fumbling problems. I mean Desmond Howard won the Super Bowl MVP as a return man. And the Beer Man, Michael Lewis, has a season where had over 2,400 return yards. Brian Mitchell, Eric Metcalf, Dante Hall, Gale Sayers are all in the discussion as are probably Billy "White Shoes" Johnson, Mel Gray, and several others. Plus Troy Brown had so many clutch returns in playoff games.
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    Poncier wrote:
    He doesn't touch the ball enough to be the "most dangerous player in football". A Randy Moss or T.O. or healthy Adrian Peterson is far more dangerous. And plenty of playes have game plans adjusted speciifcally for them.

I mean I agree with all of those, but he has to be ONE of the most dangerous in football. I mean everytime he touches the ball it could mean seven points. That's why I originally stated, they need to develop his WR skills. He could be deadly, we just haven't seen it yet.
  • Options
    drtyfrnk29 wrote:
    I really don't see this happening. If we miss the payoffs, which is more than likely to happen, he is adios.

The reason I say bring Briggs back is because I'm worried about Urlacher. His back seems to be getting worse by the season. Briggs + Urlacher is a great combo, and I don't think the Bears can let that go.

Also for Rex, I mean in the end, his record is 21-11. He is a winning QB. He seems to have learned somewhat about how to protect the ball when he was benched. Sure he still fumbled and threw a pick, but Peyton, Drew Brees, and Brady all throw picks. He used to crumble after one turnover. Now it seems he can bounce back from that and get his head straight. He has an excellent arm. My worst fear is if the Bears let him go and the Vikings sign him and with they're nasty O-Line he dominates us for years to come.

Finally, Garza I could see keeping, but Miller is garbage. He cost us so many penalties in that Seattle game. We need to draft young, big OTs. The o-line is getting too old and that's what's really hurting the run game. I think given a better hole, Benson could be really good...I think.
  • Options
    I think given a better hole, Benson could be really good...I think.

Nope

;)
  • Options
    I think it's a little different because of the team aspect... No doubt he is a special athlete who does incredible things, but on some of his returns he is untouched. Sure, much of that is because of his skill and vision, but at the same time the blocking system and the skill of the special teams players help him a great deal.

If I was an opposing coach at this point, I would kick it out of bounds if it is any time during the game where a touchdown would really hurt you. If you squib it short, chances are the return will get to around the 40 anyway, so just kick it out of bounds. It's not like that offense is likely to hurt you no matter what field position you give them.

Does Hester play on offensive plays? I would put him in as much as I can an either run reverses, wide receiver screens or just use him as a decoy.
    My whole life
    was like a picture
    of a sunny day
    “We can complain because rose bushes have thorns, or rejoice because thorn bushes have roses.”
    ― Abraham Lincoln
  • Options

Does Hester play on offensive plays? I would put him in as much as I can an either run reverses, wide receiver screens or just use him as a decoy.

Yes, but for some reason moRON Turner only puts him in on about 10-12 plays a game. He should be out there far more. In the second Detriot game this season, he caught about a 30 yeard pass from Griese to tie the game. He has hands. I don't know why they don't try a screen pass to him more often.
  • Options
    tybirdtybird Posts: 17,388
    and football "experts" will tell you that Sayers was the greatest pure runner to ever play the game.....now he didnt put up the numbers that payton,brown,sanders, or smith did....because of longevity.....but that doesnt mean sayers wasnt a better runner than all of them.....
    quote]
    He was the Mickey Mantle of the NFL.....all the talent in the world.....but denied the pinnacle of the record books due to devastating knee injuries....much the same could said for Joe Namath.
    All the world will be your enemy, Prince with a thousand enemies, and whenever they catch you, they will kill you. But first they must catch you, digger, listener, runner, prince with the swift warning. Be cunning and full of tricks and your people shall never be destroyed.
  • Options
    Solat13 wrote:
    Not to be technical, but one of Hester's returns was a FG return and those are not qualified as return tds in the NFL record books. The NFL record book only lists combined punt and kick returns for tds.

Also, Dante Hall has 12 tds in 104 games and the record is 13 combined in how many games Brian Mitchell played so Hall should take the record sooner than Hester.

Plus for Hester to be truly as dominate in such a specialized category, he would have to break both the career individual punt return (10 by Eric Metcalf) and individual kick return record (6 held by many players.)

Plus, he would have to have a season that would surpass Travis Williams in kick returns. Williams had the greatest single season as a return man averaging 41 yards a kick return and 4 tds in one season.
    wow, good shit....someone knows how to use wikipedia
    i like your style
    Mansfield II: # 23, since '03

routine was the theme..

there aint gonna be any middle any more
  • Options
    Solat13Solat13 Philadelphia Posts: 6,996
    wow, good shit....someone knows how to use wikipedia
    i like your style

I actually used the official NFL record book, but thanks ... lol
    - Busted down the pretext
    - 8/28/98
    - 9/2/00
    - 4/28/03, 5/3/03, 7/3/03, 7/5/03, 7/6/03, 7/9/03, 7/11/03, 7/12/03, 7/14/03
    - 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/1/04, 10/2/04
    - 9/11/05, 9/12/05, 9/13/05, 9/30/05, 10/1/05, 10/3/05
    - 5/12/06, 5/13/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 6/23/06, 7/22/06, 7/23/06, 12/2/06, 12/9/06
    - 8/2/07, 8/5/07
    - 6/19/08, 6/20/08, 6/22/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08, 6/27/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 7/1/08
    - 8/23/09, 8/24/09, 9/21/09, 9/22/09, 10/27/09, 10/28/09, 10/30/09, 10/31/09
    - 5/15/10, 5/17/10, 5/18/10, 5/20/10, 5/21/10, 10/23/10, 10/24/10
    - 9/11/11, 9/12/11
    - 10/18/13, 10/21/13, 10/22/13, 11/30/13, 12/4/13
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,539
    I do not think kick returns are a record anyone pays attention to or cares about. I'm not saying his achievements are not amazing, but kick returns are not even in the top 5 records that people follow for football, so I wouldn't think you can even begin to think about comparing him to the Babe.

Football records that are more important or notable.

Touchdown Rushing Record (Season and Career)
    Touchdown Passing Record (Season and Career)
    Touchdown Receiving Record (Season and Career)
    Total Rushing Yards (Season and Career)
    Total Sack Record (Season and Career)
    Total Career Points
    Longest Field Goal Streak
    Longest Field Goal
  • Options
    corycory Posts: 736
    Little known fact.....Devin Hester stores jet fuel in his asshole and can ignite it by thinking of Michael Vick doing pull-ups in a jail cell while simutaneously being sodomized by a large gentlemen named Tyrone.
    Revive the heart of the heartless...

Why would you start was has no end?
  • Options
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did nobody read this?

It's comedic levels and imagery are unmatched for fuck's sake.

• Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    Devin Hester is a great athlete, yet people are taking it out of proportion.

Teams still kick to him because of his fumble risk. He's put the ball on the ground 14 times and he's just in his second year. Compare that to Dante Hall, who is now in his 8th year has only fumbled 18 times. Hester is the typical high risk, high reward player. Luckily he's only lost 3 of those fumbles, but you still give your team another chance to get the ball back.

Also, playing as a return man is a far different thing to do than playing in offensive schemes. People think because he's so great returning that he should be this amazing receiver. He's got great vision and patience which is what makes him a great threat as a returner because the field is spread out for him on returns. That doesn't happen in offensive sets. Plus he's already a liability with his hands, that's strike one for a receiver. He's caught 8 passes this year for about 140 yards. One was an 80+ yard catch, that leaves 7 catches for about 60 yards. Not a great average for a receiver. They've also tried getting him involved in running plays with a reverse, screen, or catch and run, but those have added up into a net loss as well. There's the big play possibility there, but you can't risk it as often on offense which is why he's there 10-12 plays a game.

Plus he's not that big. He'd get pounded going across the middle, that is if a QB ever saw him going across the middle. And set him up out wide, he'll get shoved right off his route in the first 5 yards. Plus now he'll be out there against first team defensive backs and linebackers who have a bit more talent and athleticism than those playing special teams. It'll be harder for him to create seperation.

He's still a great fit to the Bears and their specials teams, and one of the most exciting players to watch. There's just many more important impact players out there in football.
  • Options
    EvilMerlinEvilMerlin Posts: 1,865
    cory wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did nobody read this?

I thought it was a well known fact, and not even a joke...I may be mistaken though.
  • Options
    cory wrote:
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Did nobody read this?

I thought it was about as funny as a pile of rocks.
  • Options
    devin hester is RIDICULOUS!!!
    I make the shapes come much too close
    I pull my eyes out
    Hold my breath
    And wait until I shake...
  • Options
    devin hester is RIDICULOUS!!!

I love that line.

Jeff Joniak is a great radio man.
  • Options
    Devin Hester omits an odor through his perforated armpit sleeve holes that gives opponents Momentary Down's Syndrome. One side effect is that they also shit in their pants.

• Options
    I thought it was about as funny as a pile of rocks.

If that pile of rocks was in the shape of Devin Hester taking a shit on you it would be pretty funny.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    If that pile of rocks was in the shape of Devin Hester taking a shit on you it would be pretty funny.

Why must you ruin this thread?
  • Options
    Why must you ruin this thread?

Clearly we don't get along. This thread has run its course. I mean, what more can be said of a return man? I'm sure more people were entertained by my comments than were entertained by your "pile of rocks" comment.

Who's ruining the thread here?

Let's not communicate with each other until the end of eternity since you obviously hate me for no apparent reason.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    Clearly we don't get along. This thread has run its course. I mean, what more can be said of a return man? I'm sure more people were entertained by my comments than were entertained by your "pile of rocks" comment.

Who's ruining the thread here?

Let's not communicate with each other until the end of eternity since you obviously hate me for no apparent reason.

Dude, the thing is your shit is not funny.
  • Options
    Dude, the thing is your shit is not funny.

To you.............I'm fine with that because you don't particularly impress me. In fact, I had never noticed you until you started caling me out. But keep flexing those innernuts. I always enjoy that.

• Options
    cory wrote:
    To you.............I'm fine with that because you don't particularly impress me. In fact, I had never noticed you until you started caling me out. But keep flexing those innernuts. I always enjoy that.

Ahahaha, impress you?

I didn't know I was supposed to be impressing anyone.
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    cory's back ...
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    Ahahaha, impress you?

I didn't know I was supposed to be impressing anyone.

You're doing a good job of it.

We should do a poll. If more people want me to stay, then you retire from the board forever and vice versa.

Other than that, why bother even acknowledging anything I type. I have NEVER quoted you on anything until you started with me because I never gave a shit to. Just hit the ignore or do the poll.