~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Yeah...we did that whole dermatologist thing, too. Waste of time. And money. Turned out the pooch was allergic to plants we don't even have in BC! Like, why not test for things in the dog's actual environment.

The rice thing happened by accident. She got a bit of a stomach thing (gastroenteristis) so the vet said to just feed her rice or cottage cheese. We went for the rice, and didn't the silly little thing puke it up shortly after eating some of it...This was immediately followed by intense scratching. Husband and I looked at each other - "Bingo!!" we screamed (because we finally figured it out after four years, I think it was)!! The fish & potato was a godsend because wow...cortizone shots, prednisone (which made her mean) none of that was cheap....Anyway, she lived to be 16 and we had to put her down in March 06, although she actually died before the vet could give her the lethal injection...But she had an awesome life and we take comfort in that.

I hope everything works out for Lukin and that he didn't get bit...just some sensitivity to something..ours used to gnaw herself raw, too...anywhere she could reach...but getting rid of the rice, that stopped the flea allergy, too...

I'm not keen to get started on it. I'm quite sure it will be a waste of time, energy and money. I mean it was for me with the human dermatologist so I can't imagine a doggy one being any better.
    One guy at the vet, (a client) suggested that he could be allergic to grass, different kinds of grass. Him having a bush place that his dog was going to and getting all kinds of rashes. I'm wondering if it's not that or something he picked up in the creek and now he's just picked it to bits. It comes up almost like a blister in some places and in other spots it's circular like a ring worm.
    I'm not keen to keep giving him steroid shots. They make anyone mean. Last time he had one he ripped my foot open in his frenzy. Quite accidently but that didn't help my foot. I might get some pawpaw cream and see if that helps soothe it and clear it up a little. And I might start looking back on that list for alternative dog food recipes. Ones without rice that are cheap and easy. Thanks for the tips. :) And I'm sorry about your puppa. :( Tis so hard to lose them.
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446
    Austicman wrote:
    Ice used to end up red raw in the spring and summer from something and took the vet about 2 years to work it out. It ends up it was mites and instead of using the flea treatment she was getting they switched her to Advocate which gets mites as well. Cleared up almost straight away. The poor girl had to get skin scrapings and everything before they figured out what it was. She's a happy puppy now though. :)

Thanks T. :)

We started Lukin on Advantage but when we talked to the vet about him being up at the farm he said we should swap to Advocate, to keep him safe from fox mange. Coz we've got a few of those around. So he's been on the Advocate for a few months now. That's why they're thinking it's not mange or mites.

I'm glad it's worked for Ice though. It's awful to see them scratch and make such a mess of themselves. Lukey's actually not seeming to be too unhappy. I thought he'd be much more feral about having the collar, but he keeps wagging his tail and he's still talking to me, so perhaps he won't be deeply traumatized by it like I thought he would? :o
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    HAPPY BIRTHDAY to BAILY!!!!

He and Petey are only a week apart in age! My big boy weighed in at 96 pounds on his birthday!!! I'm not sure that he is done either....

oxc

:eek: 96lbs !!

Whats that big boy eating better yet is there anything he's not eating ;)

Last time we weighed Bailey he was 80lbs, his Daddy was about 85lbs full grown
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    you guys in here make me SO happy. :) i love reading all of your stories about the kidz. i miss my surfer so freakin much. I guess it never stops huh? and dont worry, im not looking for sympathy. no. i just know i can come here & say anything and u guys get it. :)

i was near a petsmart store tonite & i was talking to a friend on the phone. All of a sudden "im surrounded byyyyy..... SOMMMEE doggies that plaaayyyy" and it made me smile huge! i get teary eyed every freakin time. i want a doggie to snuggle with but im not reddie yet. The pain of doggie loss never stops. ugh.

Happy Birthday Bailey! If Surf was here he'd send big doggie hugs!

heres a picture of my prince surfer that i just found. i hadd just given him a bath!
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/SENROCK04/SURFER/wetdoggie1.jpg

p.s for those on my myspace, i added a SURFER slide show. check it out.....
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    :eek: 96lbs !!

Whats that big boy eating better yet is there anything he's not eating ;)

Last time we weighed Bailey he was 80lbs, his Daddy was about 85lbs full grown

He he he.....Petey's Dad is a 110 Euro Doberman from the Netherlands/Russia! They build them very big boned and stocky over there. We don't think Petey will be that big....he takes more after his mom's side, I'm betting on 102 at maturity.

As for food, those with dogs who are having any type of food/allergy issues....I feed Petey RAW. I did my research for 6 months, and have veterinarian support...it is considered to be the best I can feed him.
    If you are interested....check out these sites.
    http://rawfed.com/myths/
    http://www.drmarty.com/feeding.htm

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • LindaLinda Posts: 1,656
    aaaaawwww, this buddy needs to be here, among friends.....

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=263034
    i'm not happy yet.....
    oh man that made me freakin cry like a GIRL!!!! :(

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

SENROCK! wrote:
    oh man that made me freakin cry like a GIRL!!!! :(

((((SENROCK!))))

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown

• My drinking team has a hockey problem

• Linda wrote:
    aaaaawwww, this buddy needs to be here, among friends.....

http://forums.pearljam.com/showthread.php?t=263034

Dogs are so loyal

I remember hearing a story years ago about a guy who was trying to drown his dog and the dog ended up saving him from drowning !
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    How old is Norm ??

I grew up with Black Labs

he's 2....he is a lab/terrier mix the best i can determine.....i got him from a shelter at 8 months....:)
    PJaddicted wrote:
    ((((SENROCK!))))

oxc

hi!!! big big doggie hugs to you and big boy PETE!!!!! :)

Dogs are so loyal

I remember hearing a story years ago about a guy who was trying to drown his dog and the dog ended up saving him from drowning !

thats freakin stoopid. :mad: that guy shoulda been hog tied & buried alive to suffer. what the hell was he thinking trying to drown is dog?! freakin idiot. :mad:

• normnorm Posts: 31,146
    only dog lovers will like this.....:D

http://www.funpic.hu/swf/monitor_cleaner.swf
    cutback wrote:
    only dog lovers will like this.....:D

http://www.funpic.hu/swf/monitor_cleaner.swf

i LOVVVVVVVVVVE THAT!!!!!!! im not especially drawn to that kind of doggie but i absolutely LOVED it!!!! :D this makes me happy! :)

• Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    SENROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(bows)

Hey girl! Love golden retrievers, so I figured I'd add to this thread.
    I love to turn you on
    SENROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

(bows)

Hey girl! Love golden retrievers, so I figured I'd add to this thread.

DUDE!!!! man i feel like we havnt hung out in AGES!!! where ya been?! Goldens are AWESOME doggies! them and labs are among my faves. i STILL want a st bernard BADDLY. Maybe its the size!

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:

As you set off all the Doggies in the thread...woof woof woof woof!

oxc
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

— Unknown
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Lizard wrote:

GRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WOO WOO WOO WOO WOO (My dog woo's instead of woofs)
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
    Lizard wrote:

:eek: GET THAT THING OUTTA HERE!!!!!!

PJaddicted wrote:
    As you set off all the Doggies in the thread...woof woof woof woof!

oxc

hahahaa YES!!!! its just like a freakin CAT to set it off. ALL the doggies in tha hood are ANGRY!!!!

• catefrancescatefrances Posts: 29,003
    Lizard wrote:

that is the ugliest dog i have ever seen. :D:p
    hear my name
    take a good look
    this could be the day
    hold my hand
    lie beside me
    i just need to say
    that is the ugliest dog i have ever seen. :D:p

*high ten* :D

• LizardLizard Posts: 12,091
    DOG SNOBS!!!

:D

psssffttt!
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
    Lizard wrote:
    DOG SNOBS!!!

:D

psssffttt!

thats RIGHT!!!!

dudes. here is a blog i wrote about SURFER in 2005. i TOTALLY forgot i wrote it. I was searching my myspace for somn else i wrote & i came across this. it broke my heart but made me kinda happy cuz i loved my doggie!!!! his pic was at the top btw.

This, is the love of my life-SURFER. I have hadd him for sixxx years. Since the day he was born, not a day FLOWs by where i dont tell him i love him. He is so important to me and i often say he is my "son"!!! Its true. Doggies are like kidz. Actually....i dont want kidz because i'd rather have doggies!!! Whenever something terrible in the world happens, like floods or earthquakes or bombing, i ALWAYS ask about the dogs BEFORE any humans. I do NOT apologize for it either!!! SURFER makes me laugh so much because sometimes he'll be in a DEEP sleep and i could hear him snoring like if he was human! And other times, when i scratch his doggie stomach, he'll get SO comfy and fall asleep hanging off the side of the couch then wake himself up by falling over!!! hahahaha Then theres the times where one look from him sends me into tears.
    Everytime i go somewhere i tell him "i'll be back okay? be a good doggie." He understands and looks super sadd then turns and lays down then tucks his doggie paws under his chin. The WORST is when i am going out of town! He KNOWS i'm gonna NOT "be right back!" More than ANYTHING, he is the one that makes me question should i really go out of town. He wont even get close to me cuz he knows i'm leaving. Breaks my heart EVERYTIME. When i was in canadia last month for PEARL JAM, i cried a few times cuz it seems that TORONTO more than montreal or ottaWAHHHH!!! LOVE doggies. They were EVERYWHERE!!! I missed him dearly. I hate to leave him but i LOVE coming home to him!!! My ultimate goal in life is to be the owner of a DOGGIE DAY CARE & full service salon as well as housing as many doggies as possible!!! I cry everytime i see a LOST DOG so i would love to have a place for them. I need to go give SURF a huge hug now!!!!