~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    chime wrote:
    This story has been on the news here this week and I thought it deserved a place in the doggie thread. Warning it is sad though ... the bond between a dog and his handler :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGwoRPrT1pk

Theo deserves to be known about.

I read that earlier this week. Chills were running up and down my spine. Very, very sad. You're right, it definitely deserves to be shared. Thanks :)
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    norm wrote:
    norm and his buddy louie waiting to come inside :mrgreen:

DSC03111a.jpg
    louie...hahaha :lol:

TWENTY THOUSAND posts??? :shock: :wtf:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    imalive wrote:
    norm wrote:
    norm and his buddy louie waiting to come inside :mrgreen:

DSC03111a.jpg
    louie...hahaha :lol:

TWENTY THOUSAND posts??? :shock: :wtf:

sad part is i'd probably be at 25,000 if they hadn't switched boards :oops: :ugeek:
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    chime wrote:
    This story has been on the news here this week and I thought it deserved a place in the doggie thread. Warning it is sad though ... the bond between a dog and his handler :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oGwoRPrT1pk

Theo deserves to be known about.

So very very sad. Had a little cry.
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Boys are doing good.

624528485_2231018797_0.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    PJaddicted wrote:
    Boys are doing good.

624528485_2231018797_0.jpg

:D

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    Petey and Monty are such handsome boys!!

Got back from Eddie in Newcastle to 3 very happy dogs. They don't like when we stay away overnight!!

053-1.jpg

033.jpg

026.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • not only thinking about all the humans in Japan right now, but also their furry friends.
    devastation beyond belief.
    this is sad, as is all the news coming from Japan right now, but thought this deserved a spot in our thread. the dogs in this video have since been rescued and are receiving veterinary treatment.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/yblog_thelookout/dog-in-japan-stays-by-the-side-of-its-ailing-friend-in-the-rubble
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Can anyone tell me if soft water is bad for dogs to drink? I just had Culligan installed and have done some research online, but everything seems inconclusive. Thanks!
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Can anyone tell me if soft water is bad for dogs to drink? I just had Culligan installed and have done some research online, but everything seems inconclusive. Thanks!

soft water should be fine....hard water 'could' be bad for them...no real evidence, but dogs can get crystals in their urine which is bad. Crystals come mostly from calcium.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • RKCNDY wrote:
    Can anyone tell me if soft water is bad for dogs to drink? I just had Culligan installed and have done some research online, but everything seems inconclusive. Thanks!

soft water should be fine....hard water 'could' be bad for them...no real evidence, but dogs can get crystals in their urine which is bad. Crystals come mostly from calcium.

Hmm I'm confused. My vet told me to give them whatever I drink. Using something like a Brita is fine or a filter on the faucet. I guess the concern is sodium?? I read about calcium too which is a bad hard water problem.
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    RKCNDY wrote:

Hmm I'm confused. My vet told me to give them whatever I drink. Using something like a Brita is fine or a filter on the faucet. I guess the concern is sodium?? I read about calcium too which is a bad hard water problem.

We have hard water here, not extremely hard, but it's not soft water. I don't have much experience with soft water, but I just know that the clinic I worked at, when pets would be diagnosed with crystals, we'd reccomend that they give their pets filtered water, and feed them a urinary diet (only IF they have been diagnosed, the pets shoulldn't be on the diet long-term). No real reason 'why' some pets get crystals and others don't. Not uncommon for one pet to get crystals, and the other to not get them even if they are littermates.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    Austicman wrote:
    Petey and Monty are such handsome boys!!

033.jpg
    woah ROBODOG!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,178
    It's the scariest thing when your dog is sick/not feeling well and you are not sure what the problem is. Time for your diet to start Snoopy.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Well I figured we would get another dog to replace the Boxer sized hole in my family's heart left from the passing from Hammond, but I never in my right mind did I think it would be so fast. But we got an email from adopt a boxer saying this darling of a dog needed a home, and we obliged. Her name is Xena (Puppy princess) and she will be joining our family on Thursday.

xena12.jpg
    Xena22.jpg
    Xena32.jpg
    32 shows and counting...
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    ^^^ She's gorgeous. Congratulations! A warrior princess puppy may be just the super-hero healing that your family needs :mrgreen:
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop
  • Kraven wrote:
    Well I figured we would get another dog to replace the Boxer sized hole in my family's heart left from the passing from Hammond, but I never in my right mind did I think it would be so fast. But we got an email from adopt a boxer saying this darling of a dog needed a home, and we obliged. Her name is Xena (Puppy princess) and she will be joining our family on Thursday.

xena12.jpg
    Xena22.jpg
    Xena32.jpg

AWWWW.....SHE'S SOOOO CUTE!!! I LOVE BOXERS!!!!
    Give her a big hug for me!!!
    She will be forever grateful to you and your family :D
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• pandorapandora Posts: 21,855
    Kraven wrote:

xena12.jpg
    Xena22.jpg
    Xena32.jpg
    I love a Boxer face! :D
    Welcome Xena!
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Yay!!!!!!!! Welcome to Xena, from one princess to another! ;):D
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    Kraven wrote:
    Well I figured we would get another dog to replace the Boxer sized hole in my family's heart left from the passing from Hammond, but I never in my right mind did I think it would be so fast. But we got an email from adopt a boxer saying this darling of a dog needed a home, and we obliged.

we never thought so either....but gracie fell into our laps about a month after shelby's passing :cry: ....and we're damn glad she did! :mrgreen:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    welcome to the puppy princess! :D
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    Kraven wrote:

Xena32.jpg

She's Awesome!!! my wife and i were gona name our dog Xena if we got a female, but i found an Ozy instead.
    Good luck with her.
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    Kraven wrote:

xena12.jpg
    Xena22.jpg
    Xena32.jpg

Awesome news. Welcome to the thread Xena :)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Xena looks beautiful - congratulations!! :D:D
    wet dog

acb9914c.jpg
    Claireack wrote:
    ^^ He looks distinguished!

yeah well he not because he just farted! :sick:

dog farts are the worst
    norm wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    ^^ He looks distinguished!

yeah well he not because he just farted! :sick:

dog farts are the worst

:lol::lol: Not my favourite aroma either. I might start feeding Molly roses.
  • BhagavadGitaBhagavadGita Posts: 1,748
    Our dog Rocket needs to leave this world.

He has lost use of all legs and it's just too painful to watch him want to move and his body won't follow along. This has been such a hard decision and we have waited and waited to make this decision that it is time.

We are having the vet come out to the house along with a woman who has been doing massage on our Rocket for awhile for support.

Who has gone through this? How are we going to feel? How can I keep my spirits up for the dogs sake instead of crying at the moment the procedure is done? It sounds so overwhelming.

We wanted to do this at home so Rocket feels at home and the environment is not sterile......

I want some nice music playing to sooth us all....does anyone have any ideas for music?

:cry:
  • Who PrincessWho Princess Posts: 7,305
    Who has gone through this? How are we going to feel? How can I keep my spirits up for the dogs sake instead of crying at the moment the procedure is done? It sounds so overwhelming.

We wanted to do this at home so Rocket feels at home and the environment is not sterile......

I want some nice music playing to sooth us all....does anyone have any ideas for music?

:cry:
    I have been through this more than once and so have others here. It never gets any easier.

You are going to feel very sad. You will probably feel that way for a long time afterwards. I wouldn't worry about trying to sustain a mood for Rocket's sake. You are showing him love in so many ways. The fact that you are doing this at home, where he is comfortable and secure, says volumes to me. It's the most caring gesture you can show him.

Rocket knows you are sad. I'll bet he has always been able to pick up on your moods. He probably even knows why you are sad. But he is weary and ready to go to the place where he will be free from all pain. He will feel your love more strongly than your sadness. You will be there with him to say goodbye.

Your vet is obviously caring and considerate to be willing to come to your home. Try to be around people who are understanding for a while. Cry as much as you need to. Come to this thread and post about it.

Although this has always been hard for me to face, I've still found comfort in little things. I still remember the first time I went through it years ago. My dog Artie had been in a lot of pain and as much as it hurt to lose him, it meant so much to me to be there with him and see how quick and painless it was. He laid his head down and was gone.

My heart goes out to you. You will be sad a long time, but one day you will find yourself celebrating Rocket's life and all the joy he gave you. He has been your loving friend. You are giving him the most loving gift that you can.

Carolyn
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."