~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• Drum Machine89Drum Machine89 Posts: 2,157
    Hey thought id join in, we recently lost our Golden Retriever called Brooke. :(
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=204086432948670&set=a.204086399615340.50733.100000419437309&theater

Sadly she was only 3 and her only working kidney packed in and she became very ill!
    I'm very sorry. RIP Brooke. :(
    You've come to the right thread, many good people here.

Hey thanks Buddy, yeah it's really weird her not being here now!
    We have decided to get a new dog. We are going to get another golden retriever who will be ready to take home on the 13th of may i think.

When we got Brooke we knew she had a kidney problem and she had to get an operation which was successful and they thought Brooke would be able to live a fairly long life but sadly that was not the case! :(
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Claireack wrote:
    Any idea's on car sickness?? Molly has been getting a little sick in the car lately. Not all the time, just now and again (helped by particularly windey roads). I have heard a ginger biscuit before travelling helps (?).
    I've had a few dogs that got car sick when they were young. They usually grow out of it. What worked best for me was putting their crate in the car. I don't know if it calms them or if it's just that they can't move around and watch the scenery flying by but I never have any problems if they're in the crate.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that. I might have to get a second crate though, it's quite difficult moving here crate around.
  • Claireack wrote:
    Claireack wrote:
    Any idea's on car sickness?? Molly has been getting a little sick in the car lately. Not all the time, just now and again (helped by particularly windey roads). I have heard a ginger biscuit before travelling helps (?).
    I've had a few dogs that got car sick when they were young. They usually grow out of it. What worked best for me was putting their crate in the car. I don't know if it calms them or if it's just that they can't move around and watch the scenery flying by but I never have any problems if they're in the crate.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that. I might have to get a second crate though, it's quite difficult moving here crate around.

They do have these little bucket things for smaller dogs (which I believe you have, if i remember correctly) that attaches to the seat, and it also has a harness thing in it. I think the real purpose of it is to not only strap the dog in, but to allow the dog to see/hang head out the window like bigger dogs without standing up. Ive seen them at Pet Smart recently. May be something to look into. At least that way it would keep her put, so she's not spinning in circles and running around. Its probably also much cheaper than buying another crate just for the car.

There are more than just this one...but this is the exact one i saw in the store (even tho it says web only here)
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753864
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• Green CircleGreen Circle Posts: 5,192
    Hey PJ dog owners...

I need help with a Pearl Jam dog name...

viewtopic.php?f=14&t=153915

help!
    "...And I fight back in my mind. Never lets me be right.
    I got memories. I got shit so much it don't show."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    I keep thinking "better get gracie to the park; this could be our last snow." and then it snows some more :roll:

Photo0228.jpg

and we meet this little 10 month old cutie today...Luna :mrgreen:

Photo0229.jpg

they have the same tag, huh? :lol:
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    The Boyz say hello to all their PJ Doggie friends! We have been out enjoying the Spring as much as possible.

DSC04576.jpg
    DSC04578.jpg
    DSC04579.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • FifthelementFifthelement Posts: 6,958
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=204086432948670&set=a.204086399615340.50733.100000419437309&theater

Sadly she was only 3 and her only working kidney packed in and she became very ill!

I don't FB so I can't see your lovely. Hugs and good vibes to you and your family.

RIP Brooke
    "What the CANUCK happened?!? - Esquimalt Barber Shop

I don't FB so I can't see your lovely. Hugs and good vibes to you and your family.

RIP Brooke

Thanks, i wasn't sure how to upload a pic directly up to the site?

Decided to get another retriever! :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
    imalive wrote:
    I keep thinking "better get gracie to the park; this could be our last snow." and then it snows some more :roll:

Photo0228.jpg

and we meet this little 10 month old cutie today...Luna :mrgreen:

Photo0229.jpg

they have the same tag, huh? :lol:

:P

Aww, great looking dogs like me Brooke was! :)
    Let them wash away
    All those yesterdays
    All those yesterdays
    All those paper plates
    Claireack wrote:

They do have these little bucket things for smaller dogs (which I believe you have, if i remember correctly) that attaches to the seat, and it also has a harness thing in it. I think the real purpose of it is to not only strap the dog in, but to allow the dog to see/hang head out the window like bigger dogs without standing up. Ive seen them at Pet Smart recently. May be something to look into. At least that way it would keep her put, so she's not spinning in circles and running around. Its probably also much cheaper than buying another crate just for the car.

There are more than just this one...but this is the exact one i saw in the store (even tho it says web only here)
    http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2753864
    [/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Oooo good idea, might seriously think about that one. :)

Thanks, i wasn't sure how to upload a pic directly up to the site?

Decided to get another retriever! :)
    hit "quote" on one of the posts with pics and you'll see...basically, put your pics on photobucket or one of those type sites and then copy and paste the "img" code.

I, also, couldn't see your pics and would like to. Very sorry for your loss :cry: but glad you're thinking of another pup :mrgreen:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Lukin66Lukin66 Posts: 3,063
    lou.jpg

Been away for awhile, but I figure I'd jump back in with a pic of my girl. Her name is Lou and I haven't decided whether or not it's short for Lucifer, haha.
    deep, deep blue of the morning
    gets to me every time
    Stupid iPhone pictures, this is a better one:
    ry3D400.jpg
    gets to me every time
  • AusticmanAusticman Posts: 1,323
    ^Lou's looking very cool! ;)

This is what happens when you leave a 14 months old dog inside with a pillow and lounge to play with!!
    orbit6.jpg
    I can't go the library anymore, everyone STINKS!!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Austicman wrote:
    ^Lou's looking very cool! ;)

This is what happens when you leave a 14 months old dog inside with a pillow and lounge to play with!!
    orbit6.jpg

and the look on the face is always the same "what pillow?" :lol::lol:
    Lukin66 wrote:
    Stupid iPhone pictures, this is a better one:
    ry3D400.jpg
    Lou's a good looking girl :mrgreen: . what kind of exotic breed is she? :?

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    Austicman wrote:

orbit6.jpg
    ruh-row :shifty: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • HeavyHandsHeavyHands Posts: 2,130
    Had a tense last few days.

Went out of town last weekend and took Tank to a doggy daycare. He has always gotten great care there. Thing is, he's a trained hunting dog (from his last owner, not me). When he starts to play fetch he absolutely will not stop. You have to take the ball away in order to get him to stop. One of the gals at the day care didn't realize this and threw the ball for him too much. Tank lost areas on the callouses on both of his front paws. The callouses are missing areas between the size of a nickel to the size of a quarter.

That was last Sunday. I looked up dosages and started giving him some asprin for the pain on Sunday night. On Monday he could barely walk.

On Tuesday morning about two hours after eating breakfast he vomited everything back up. Then he proceeded to vomit throughout the entire day. He couldn't even keep water down. Luckily I had some work to do outside so I had him out there with me.

I immediately stopped administering the asprin. I stayed up with him on Tuesday night until he went to bed. I got up with him at 4AM and cleaned up only one spot of vomit on the kitchen floor. I don't know how the poor guy had anything left in him.

In the morning he still couldn't keep water down so I took him to the vet. They gave him anti nausea medication and administered IV fluids under his skin to help with dehydration. His temp was normal and X-Rays came back indicating no problems.

Luckily, throughout the day, he started keeping water down. I only gave him 4 oz at a time (he's a 90 lb Labrador so that's not very much). By the end of the day he was even keeping some food down. He's getting rice mixed with some canned food. He had gone about 48 hours without eating by this point so I was very grateful for this progress.

This morning he greeted me in his usual manner. With a smile and his tail smacking loudly against a hollow-core door as he rubs along the side of the bed which shakes me awake. I'd be angry about being woken like that if he wasn't so awesome. Here's what it looks like.

IMG_09.jpg

He snorts loudly too, when he has a toy in his mouth!

He's keeping food down and his paws are feeling better. I'm going to take him around the block today. It won't be enough for him but I don't want him re-injured.

I lost my last dog very suddenly and have been thinking of her a lot over the past few days. Symptomatically she started out the same way: vomiting. Then I had to have her put down about 12 hours later. It turned out that she had undetected cancerous growths in her abdomen that we didn't know about. Needless to say I was pretty concerned about my boy. Luckily the worst seems to have passed and it looks like he'll be okay.

Give your doggie a hug today. And maybe some extra good food at dinner time.

H^2
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
  • Damn Heavy Hands. Thats scary. Glad he's feeling better. You would think that the employees of a doggy day care facility would know better than to over play your dog to the point of hurting his paws. Maybe you could get them to help you out with some of the vet expenses? Just a thought. But you should definitely make sure they know what happened, so it doesn't happen again. Also, maybe they need some new dirt or grass or something, that would be a little easier on the pup's pads. I cant even imagine how long he would of had to be running around for that to even happen... needless to say, I'd be a little bit upset with that place, and I would certainly let them know it (in the kindest way possible :) )
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

^Thanks TT.

Truthfully I don't know that him being so ill is in any way related to him playing so hard for so long. I assume that it's related to the asprin I gave him, but I just don't know. I gave it to him for 24 hours before he got sick and there was no indication of any problems.

The illness really could have come from anything, I guess. You know dogs. They eat anything and lick their paws. People are putting fertilizers and pesticides on their lawns this time of year. He could've found some discarded food on the curb after garbage day. Etc...

I did call the daycare yesterday to let them know about his paws and to see if any other owners had reported illnesses like he was experiencing. No one had. She took notes about his paws and made sure that they got into his record. Then next time he goes there I'm going to remind them to be sure.

I know they didn't mean to do it. It was an oversight on their part. An honest mistake. I'm just glad he's okay.
    "A lot more people are capable of being big out there that just don't give themselves a chance." -Stone Gossard
    HeavyHands wrote:

Give your doggie a hug today.
    always! :mrgreen:
    and I'm glad Tank is doing better. probably "just one of those things"

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    HeavyHands wrote:
    IMG_09.jpg

i'm tank is feeling better...he's a good looking boy

my brother in law had a chocolate lab that was the same way...would fetch forever if you let her...and she had hip dysplasia but even that wouldn't stop her
    Heavy Hands, I has this happen with my dog too. Played with the chuck-it for a bit and then noticed she was limping. Turns out, the pads on her paws was coming off, in about dime-sized spots. Freaked me out, because you could see the new growth underneath too. I didn't give her any aspirin, but I did buy a eucalyptus salve at the pet store that I rubbed on them. They healed up within a week or two, but she had to be kept quiet for that time, and any walks had to be on grass, not asphalt. She hated me for it too, no walks PLUS she smelled minty from the salve, haha. I know it's always scary when our dogs are sick and hurting, but it sounds like Tank will be back to new in no time!
    gets to me every time
    imalive wrote:
    Lou's a good looking girl :mrgreen: . what kind of exotic breed is she? :?
    She's a Pitbull/Akita mix. Kind of a strange combo, but she's a good girl. Gotta love the mutts that come from the shelter :mrgreen:
    gets to me every time
    HeavyHands - glad he's doing ok now. Not nice for him to go though.

Austicman - so funny!!! :lol:
  • haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    imalive wrote:
    Austicman wrote:

orbit6.jpg
    ruh-row :shifty: :lol:
    whenever i see pics lke this with the dogs looking so innocent i think about this bit that eddie izzard does:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYcnEonB04E (go to 1:29 :))
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    HH glad to see your dog is doing better
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    HeavyHands wrote:
    IMG_09.jpg

H^2

Good to read that Tank is doing better. :)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

Thanks everybody for the kind thoughts and words.

I think we're out of the woods now. He's been keeping all of his food and water down since Wednesday night. His paws are healed enough now that he's walking without limping (even has a spring in his step!). When I gave him some dinner last night he actually jumped up on his hind legs a bit! I was so happy to see that.

It's amazing how much the health of others affects us. I'm so grateful that he's doing better now. Still no Chuck-It for a bit and no aggressive playing, but I should have my running buddy just in time for warmer weather.

Happy Friday!