~:~:~:The Doggie Thread!!:~:~:~

Comments

• haffajappahaffajappa Posts: 5,955
    viewtopic.php?f=13&t=148183 :evil: :evil: :cry:
    vedderfan did you hear about this?! urgghh i hope the BC SPCA gets the person responsible
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • haffajappa wrote:
    http://community.pearljam.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=148183 :evil: :evil: :cry:
    vedderfan did you hear about this?! urgghh i hope the BC SPCA gets the person responsible

THAT IS F*CKIN DISGUSTING! I HOPE THOSE F*CKERS GET THE SAME TREATMENT AS THOSE POOR DOGS. THAT IS HORRIBLE!!! :cry::cry::cry: HOW CAN PEOPLE BE SO HEARTLESS?? I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND.
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• raystreyraystrey Posts: 171
    new addition to family. this is xochitl at 6 months

2011011620090545.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
  • raystrey wrote:

2011011620090545.jpg

Welcome to Xochitl! :wave:
    But how do we pronounce it? :think: :eh:
    "The stars are all connected to the brain."
  • PJaddictedPJaddicted Posts: 1,432
    Hello from the Boyz!

DSCN0263.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg
    ~*LIVE~LOVE~LAUGH*~

*May the Peace of the Wilderness be with YOU*

He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    — Unknown
  • PJ_ROCKSPJ_ROCKS Posts: 6,736
    raystrey wrote:

2011011620090545.jpg

:wave:

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

2006 Denver 2 shows with Tom Petty 

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2012 Missoula : Meet and Greet : "Instant Classic show"

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

PJaddicted wrote:
    Hello from the Boyz!

DSCN0263.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg

Right back at ya!!!

How is Petey doing? Hope all is going good!!!

They both look happy.

Waiting for treats... ;)

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    Hi all _ glad to see all the doggies are having so much fun.

How is Rocket doing? The adaptive carts are supposed to be quite successful from what I've read. Dogs can adjust to nearly anything, cant' they? Amazing.

Sailor, Sweet Pea & Tessie are spending a lot of time snoozing this winter. The yard is buried in snow, and now has a thick coating of ice. Not fun for romping.

And our agility training facility collapsed last week, but thankfully nobody was inside at the time. Not sure yet what we'll do now, I'd never leave our trainer, she's so nice and sooooo good.

We are counting down the weeks until spring!!!
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • SENROCKSENROCK Posts: 10,736
    Welcome to the doggie thread, Xochitl!!! :D

BIG PETE and Monty are lookin good!!!

p.s Whoprincess...... Xochitl is pronounced "SO-CHEE" at least thats how my friend pronounces HER name :? :lol:
    ~~~~~~ALWAYS HAVE A GOOD TIME~~~~~~
    Sir Mike McCready is....THE MASTER!!! WAHHH!!!
    EVENFLOW PSYCHOS H.N.I.C~FEEL THE FLOW!!!

"Pearl Jam fans are obsessed, they'd see the boys in HELL if tickets were sold."-CROJAM95

It takes balls to put out a UKE album!
  • PJaddicted wrote:
    Hello from the Boyz!

DSCN0263.jpg
    DSCN0262.jpg
    DSCN0260.jpg

Beautiful Boys!
  • Regarding Rocket....

Still hanging in there....bandaging the leg everyday as he drags the foot now, but his spirits are still good and the outpouring of private messages from concerned jammers makes me want to cry. It feels so good to be supported by family.

We are still looking for that wheel chair....I have hopeful news, someone had the same experience with their pup losing control of the hind legs and they were happy to report that the dog lived on for 9 months. I think Rocket is so loved that the energy coming from everyone to him is keeping him smiling. It's hard to watch him try to walk sometimes and then one sees the glory of how strong beings can be even when their bodies are ready to lay themselves down.

Thanks everyone for your support. This is truly one of the nicest threads on this forum to be in. We all share fur children. :)
  • SENROCK wrote:
    p.s Whoprincess...... Xochitl is pronounced "SO-CHEE" at least thats how my friend pronounces HER name :? :lol:
    Thanks SEN!
    Living in a border state, I really feel like I should have known that. :oops:
  • Regarding Rocket....

Still hanging in there....bandaging the leg everyday as he drags the foot now, but his spirits are still good and the outpouring of private messages from concerned jammers makes me want to cry. It feels so good to be supported by family.

We are still looking for that wheel chair....I have hopeful news, someone had the same experience with their pup losing control of the hind legs and they were happy to report that the dog lived on for 9 months. I think Rocket is so loved that the energy coming from everyone to him is keeping him smiling. It's hard to watch him try to walk sometimes and then one sees the glory of how strong beings can be even when their bodies are ready to lay themselves down.

Thanks everyone for your support. This is truly one of the nicest threads on this forum to be in. We all share fur children. :)
    Sending out good vibes for Rocket! :wave:
    Love that name.

Hope you can find that wheelchair soon. Dogs are amazingly resilient.
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    NEED ADVICE!!!

Just had a crappy day and came home to find that Molly has attacked the final house plant in our back living room, soil everywhere, plant completely out of the soil with roots showing. It doesn't look like she's eaten any of it, but as the soil was spread all over the place I think she was playing with it.

When I'm at work, I come home at lunchtime play with her, and I leave a toy to play with when I go out again. She has food and water available but that room and our little kitchen are the only two rooms she is allowed in when we're out.

The other day she also managed to get stuff out of the bin and had spread that all over the place and eaten what she could. Then she went back after we'd had our tea (and she'd had hers) and I found her eating the remnants of a corn on the cob - which didn't agree with her and she was sick, and it put her off her food the next day.

I know my husband will say that we should go back to putting her in her cage when we're out, but I don't want to have to do that, I like to think she has a bit of room to play and wander around.

I told her off because I was so cross with her, but as it was after the fact she probably had no idea what it related to, it'll have been the usuall blah blah blah Molly, blah blah blah, no, blah blah blah Molly.

Any ideas??

And sending out positive energy to Rocket.
  • My Boston Terrier spends all day in a crate while me and his father are at work. If he were an only child, I'd let him roam, but we have a cat, who has no front claws, and we live in a very small apartment. They get along fine, but sometimes the playing gets a little too ruff, and the dog, being stronger, has the advantage. So, to ensure the cat is safe while we're at work, the dog spends his day in the crate. Plus, you wouldnt know it, but Boston Terriers slobber like Boxers, and with a long haired cat, well, the poor cat can look like he just took a bath in dog slobber after a play session :?

At first, i felt bad for him. Now, 6 years later, he LOVES his crate!!! He has a nice orthopedic bed in there with a blanket and plenty of fresh water. He curls up in a little ball and goes to sleep as soon as he goes in, and when someone gets home to let him out, he is either still sleeping, or you can tell he just woke up.

It comes in handy for when we travel. We like to take him with us when we can, and most hotels have a pretty hefty pet-fee. So, we always bring his crate with us, that way, when we leave him alone in the room, he knows he has his own "house" there. Something familiar for him, so he knows we're coming back, and he doesnt take out his frustration on the hotel room.

If you treat the crate as the dogs "room" or "house", make sure to leave it open so the dog can go in it when he wants, when he's not being forced to stay in there, they dont see it as punishment. Plus, another way to teach the dog to like his "room" is to give him special treats or bones when he goes in there. That way, he associates it with good thoughts, rather than being "jailed"

The other thing i notice, on days that I stay home from work, or on the weekends, the dog sleeps pretty much all day long anyways, so, he's not really missing out on much by being in his crate...and, it keeps him and his fur off the couch, so there is a little less clean up to do than if he were romping around the house all day.

Hope this helps Claire. And your right...Molly probably doesnt know what she's getting yelled at for, since she probably attacked the plant as soon as you left, which was hours prior to her getting yelled at... :lol:
    Mansfield, MA - Jul 02, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 03, 2003; Mansfield, MA - Jul 11, 2003; Boston, MA - Sep 29, 2004; Reading, PA - Oct 01, 2004; Hartford, CT - May 13, 2006; Boston, MA - May 24, 2006; Boston, MA - May 25, 2006; Hartford, CT - Jun 27, 2008; Mansfield, MA - Jun 28, 2008; Mansfield, MA - June 30, 2008; Hartford, CT - May 15, 2010; Boston, MA - May 17, 2010; [EV - Providence, RI - June 15, 2011; EV - Hartford, CT - June 18, 2011]; Worcester, MA - Oct. 15, 2013; Worcester, MA - Oct. 16, 2013; Hartford, CT - Oct. 25, 2013; Boston, MA -  August 5, 2016; Boston, MA - August 7, 2016...

• The other thing i notice, on days that I stay home from work, or on the weekends, the dog sleeps pretty much all day long anyways, so, he's not really missing out on much by being in his crate...and, it keeps him and his fur off the couch, so there is a little less clean up to do than if he were romping around the house all day.
    Your post is a great description of how to use a crate and why they can be so helpful. But I especially wanted to stress this part. We all like to think of our doggies happily playing all day long when the truth is they spend most of the time sleeping. A dog that gets used to a crate while still young will like it just fine. They will often go into it to sleep even when it's left open. Dogs like having little "dens."
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,888
    Claireack wrote:
    NEED ADVICE!!!

Just had a crappy day and came home to find that Molly has attacked the final house plant in our back living room, soil everywhere, plant completely out of the soil with roots showing. It doesn't look like she's eaten any of it, but as the soil was spread all over the place I think she was playing with it.

When I'm at work, I come home at lunchtime play with her, and I leave a toy to play with when I go out again. She has food and water available but that room and our little kitchen are the only two rooms she is allowed in when we're out.

The other day she also managed to get stuff out of the bin and had spread that all over the place and eaten what she could. Then she went back after we'd had our tea (and she'd had hers) and I found her eating the remnants of a corn on the cob - which didn't agree with her and she was sick, and it put her off her food the next day.

I know my husband will say that we should go back to putting her in her cage when we're out, but I don't want to have to do that, I like to think she has a bit of room to play and wander around.

I told her off because I was so cross with her, but as it was after the fact she probably had no idea what it related to, it'll have been the usuall blah blah blah Molly, blah blah blah, no, blah blah blah Molly.

Any ideas??

some people think a crate is cruel, but Gracie and I would tend to disagree. she is finally trustworthy, so we don't have to use it anymore :mrgreen:

IMG_2060.jpg
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
    OK....so gracie is pushing 3 years old....slowly but surely, she's turning into a good dog :mrgreen: . HOWEVER, she has NEVER been allowed on the furniture. well, last week, she decided it's time for that rule to change :wtf: . and, of course, just like the bed, she's probably there to stay...

IMG_3244.jpg

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Claire: twisted thoughts is doing exactly what we do with our dogs. Izzy (chihuahua) has a crate like Gracie's. She has a wee-wee pad on one side, and her bed on the other, she has food and water and toys in there, and she LOVES it. Waldo (lab) has his own 'room' too. I took the door off a storage closet here in the living room, painted the inside, and it has his bed and a water dish in it.
    Every time we need to go to the store/work, we say, 'Go to your room!' in a happy voice, and they go in to their rooms and we give them a cookie. Never had any issues, and they even go into their rooms when they are really tired and don't feel like socializing.
    The key is to put Molly in the crate for a few minutes, leave the door open and give her some trats while she's in there. Gradually close the door and walk to another room for a few minutes, always leave her with a few treats to work on while you walk away. Come back and praise her and let her out. Then you can work up to 20 minutes, 30 minutes etc. It's not mean, think of it as a 'safe place'. If you had something happen to your house when you are not there, you wouldn't want her to get scared and run away. Also then she couldn't get into anything dangerous, get tangled up in something, etc.
    Good luck!

BhagavadGita: you are in the seattle area? I know of some holistic vets that may be able to help...i was in the vet industry for 5 years and there are amazing acupuncture treatments that can help with lameness...PM me if interested.
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • imalive: its amazing you managed to keep her off the couch for that long. look how comfy it looks!!! and it even matches her fur :lol:

• RKCNDYRKCNDY Posts: 31,013
    Now I want to get my dogs a birthday cake....

http://www.japanprobe.com/2011/02/03/bi ... -for-dogs/
    The joy of life comes from our encounters with new experiences, and hence there is no greater joy than to have an endlessly changing horizon, for each day to have a new and different sun.

- Christopher McCandless
  • imalive wrote:
    some people think a crate is cruel, but Gracie and I would tend to disagree. she is finally trustworthy, so we don't have to use it anymore :mrgreen:

IMG_2060.jpg
    That is one blissful dog.
    Sending some good (((vibes))) to Rocket...

1995 San Francisco
              San Jose

San Diego 2 shows 

2003 Missoula

2005 Missoula

Gorge 2 shows

2009 Utah

LA1

LA2

2013 Portland

Spokane

2018 Missoula

• imalive wrote:
    OK....so gracie is pushing 3 years old....slowly but surely, she's turning into a good dog :mrgreen: . HOWEVER, she has NEVER been allowed on the furniture. well, last week, she decided it's time for that rule to change :wtf: . and, of course, just like the bed, she's probably there to stay...

IMG_3244.jpg

Luckily you have leather...we bought our furniture before the dogs

:roll:

Next purchase will be leather with these 2 fur balls
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
  • unlost dogsunlost dogs Posts: 12,553
    To crate or not to crate... here's my philosophy: Do what it takes to help the dog be successful. We've experimented with both extremes _ allowing them full run of the house when we're not home, and having everybody crated when we're not home.

Full run of the house ended (the first time) when Seamus ate a bottle of canine aspirin and ended up spending 3 days in an ICU at a veterinary medical center in Boston. It ended the second time when I came home to a completely shredded book that made it look like a ticker tape parade had passed through our bedroom.

What we finally worked out was that we gate off the house so the dogs can roam in the foyer, the kitchen, and the stairway to the second floor. Those areas a dog-proofed, with nothing for them to get into.

Sailor and Tessie are allowed to roam around, but Sweet Pea is crated since she decided to shred and eat most of a carpet tread from the stairs.

I think when there are slip-ups, like getting into the trash, shredding stuff, etc. you have to scale back their ability to get themselves into trouble. So either a big crate, or a small exercise pen. At the end of the day, they have to be safe despite their intentions to be otherwise.

Seriously, I never saw the stair tread coming and would not have believed it if she hadn't vomited up the evidence. Nothing like seeing handfuls of oriental rug pattern come up your hound's esophagus... :shock: :lol:
    15 years of sharks 06/30/08 (MA), 05/17/10 (Boston), 09/03/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/04/11 (Alpine Valley), 09/30/12 (Missoula), 07/19/13 (Wrigley), 10/15/13 (Worcester), 10/16/13 (Worcester), 10/25/13 (Hartford), 12/4/13 (Vancouver), 12/6/13 (Seattle), 6/26/14 (Berlin), 6/28/14 (Stockholm), 10/16/14 (Detroit)
  • Claireack wrote:
    NEED ADVICE!!!

Any ideas??

Well I never raised my dog from a pup and have no experience with crating. I understand it, but I do not really like it either. I'm not sure how old Molly is..but maybe she just needs other dogs. Are there dog parks nearby? Off leash areas where she can run free?

Dogs are like kids. If they are bored...and lonely or feel abandoned, they act out.

Do you have a dog walking service in your area that would come to your home and take Molly with other dogs to a park, and then brought home again?

We are lucky in West Seattle as there are so many dogs, these services are everywhere. Maybe there is one nearby or a teenager you can pay to walk the dog once or twice a day when your not home.

When my son was a toddler and he got cranky, he was usually needing some attention. Tire the dog out and you have one happy pup. Excitement and play is maybe what you need. :D

Regarding the corn cob. Rocket ate one once. Came out the same way. :lol:

Found one "buried" in a blanket for late night snack once.....

Seriously, I never saw the stair tread coming and would not have believed it if she hadn't vomited up the evidence. Nothing like seeing handfuls of oriental rug pattern come up your hound's esophagus... :shock: :lol:
    ...unless you've seen an entire, size 10-13 tube sock come out of your dog's butt, as my brother-in-law has :shock: :lol:

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • ClaireackClaireack Posts: 13,561
    Thanks everyone, Molly loves sleeping in her cage (crate at night). Still having a think about it all, but thanks eveyone for the input.

:D
  • JukeeJukee Posts: 4,500
    This is Charlie. He's 5 months old. He is the most sweetest and cuddly dog i've ever seen. He's not mine, my husband is allergic to dogs so this is the closest i'll ever get to having my own. My cousin adopted him about a week ago. I just love him, he's great :D

charlie1.jpg
    If you have nothing to lose, you have nothing to worry about.
  • cowboypjfancowboypjfan Posts: 2,453
    I don't know if cow hoof treats have been discussed in here but they are horrible for big dogs.

We thought we threw them all away but my dog happened to find one, bite it once, and swallow a few really sharp pieces! Luckily, he threw up all the evidence after a day of diarrhea.

FYI: Throw those damn cow hooves away! I don't know why they still sell them..