B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Ole Tollefson just killed Stepan. An interference call that didn't get called. Looks like these dirty hits happen in the IIHF as well as the NHL.
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Big Drop wrote:
    Ole Tollefson just killed Stepan. An interference call that didn't get called. Looks like these dirty hits happen in the IIHF as well as the NHL.

what channel are these games broadcast on?
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Gary CarterGary Carter Posts: 14,067
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

try nhl network
    Ron: I just don't feel like going out tonight
    Sammi: Wanna just break up?

• Break The SkyBreak The Sky Posts: 1,276
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Big Drop wrote:

Versus
    If hope can grow from dirt like me ...
    Sean Avery , for gay rights ? :o

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/08/sport ... avery.html

In Rarity, a Player Speaks Out for Gay Rights

By JOHN BRANCH
    Published: May 7, 2011

Since September, advocates for same-sex marriage in New York have released 30-second videos of celebrities endorsing their cause. More than 30 have taken part, including the actors Julianne Moore and Sam Waterston, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg and the former first daughter Barbara Bush. On Thursday, former President Bill Clinton released a written statement of support, too.

Until now, supporters have come mostly from the worlds of politics, entertainment, theater and fashion. One type of New York celebrity was conspicuously absent: the athlete.

Enter Rangers forward Sean Avery.

He recently recorded a video, becoming one of only a few active athletes in American team sports to voice support for gay rights, and is believed to be the first in New York to publicly advocate for same-sex marriage. No active male player in a major American team sport has declared his homosexuality, and homosexual slurs remain in use to insult opponents and officials.

Avery, a 31-year-old from Pickering, Ontario, has played nine seasons in the N.H.L. Known as a fashion-conscious, on-ice agitator, he has never been afraid of what others think of him.

“The places I’ve played and lived the longest have been in West Hollywood, Calif., when I played for the L.A. Kings, and when I moved to New York, I lived in Chelsea for the first four years,” Avery said in a phone interview. “I certainly have been surrounded by the gay community. And living in New York and when you live in L.A., you certainly have a lot of gay friends.”

Avery, who lives in the SoHo section of Manhattan and keeps a home in Los Angeles, said some of those friends had wanted to marry, and he saw no reason they should not.

“I’m certainly open to it,” he said. “Maybe I can help, and I jumped at this opportunity.”

The videos are part of the New Yorkers for Marriage Equality campaign, organized by the Human Rights Campaign, a national gay-rights organization. In December 2009, New York lawmakers voted against legalizing gay marriage, but polls show that a majority of people now support it.

“Sean Avery is a true leader on the ice and off,” said Brian Ellner, who oversees the same-sex marriage campaign. “His commitment as the first New York professional athlete to campaign for marriage equality is an important step as we grow the majority of New Yorkers who already want all loving and committed New York couples to have the same rights.”

Avery’s 30-second video opens with a close-up of him looking into the camera.

“I’m Sean Avery, and I’m a New Yorker for marriage equality,” he says. “I treat everyone the way I expect to be treated, and that applies to marriage.”

That may be a bit of an inside joke. Avery has twice led the N.H.L. in penalty minutes and is known as one of the league’s most unpopular antagonists.

Avery is shown in photographs wearing his Rangers uniform as music swells and words appear on the screen.

“New Yorkers support full marriage equality,” they read. “Do you?”

Avery ends the video by saying, “Committed couples should be able to marry the person they love. Join me in supporting marriage equality.”

Avery has long been viewed as someone unafraid to set off on his own. In the past few years, he has worked as an intern at Vogue magazine and been voted “most hated” player in the N.H.L. In the 2008 playoffs, he gained notoriety for waving his arms and stick in the face of Devils goalie Martin Brodeur. That tactic, which made hockey purists cringe, was quickly banned by the league.

Avery joins a short list of active athletes showing support of gay rights. Among them, Brendon Ayanbadejo, a linebacker for the Baltimore Ravens, recorded a video statement for Equality Maryland earlier this year.

Grant Hill and Jared Dudley of the N.B.A.’s Phoenix Suns recently recorded a public-service announcement for the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network to combat antigay language in sports. It is expected to be broadcast during the conference finals. In April, the Los Angeles Lakers’ Kobe Bryant used a slur against an official and was fined $100,000 by the league.

Avery said such slurs remain in wide use in hockey, too. He suspects they may be used against him even more now that he is speaking out on behalf of same-sex marriage.

“People have been calling me names for 10 years just because I like to wear nice suits,” he said. “It’s going to take a lot to get me upset or to get under my skin. I’m O.K.”
    platessmall.jpg
  • neilybabes86neilybabes86 Posts: 16,057
    I saw this on ny 1 today..almost pissed myself

He better get all his tv in because I don't think he will be seeing much more of MSG
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    Derek Boogard found dead

28 years old

wtf
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    I DIDN'T SEE the post pain

sad sad

r.i.p

it was only a few games with us but its just fucked up
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......

sad sad

r.i.p

Yeah...such a shame..so young

Didn't hear cause of death yet

sad sad

r.i.p

im sick to my stomach

ehhhhh fuck me

sad sad

r.i.p

im sick to my stomach

ehhhhh fuck me

I found out on twitter but didnt see an article online yet

I know how you feel...I've dealt with 2 Flyers dying in their prime

sucks

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,795
    sad news
    I miss igotid88
  • MFCarissaMFCarissa Posts: 494
    R.I.P. Boogaard. :(
    Using up my Ovaltine... like Ovaltine.
    This just shows how fragile and unpredictable life is,
    The NYR have had their share of such tradgedies,
    like that young Russian kid they found in the hotel room ( forgot his name )
    i also believe he mayve comitted suicide.

R.I.P. Boog , enjoy that big penatly box in the sky .
    platessmall.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
    I hope it wasnt drugs and or suicide.
    What could go so undetected in a otherwise healthy 28 year old NHL player ?
    Hopefully, it doesnt turn out to be the case,

Perhaps some sort of trauma in the head? Wasnt he out with concussion syndrome ?

Totally fucked.
    platessmall.jpg
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    This just shows how fragile and unpredictable life is,
    The NYR have had their share of such tradgedies,
    like that young Russian kid they found in the hotel room ( forgot his name )
    i also believe he mayve comitted suicide.

R.I.P. Boog , enjoy that big penatly box in the sky .

Chereponov died at 19 while playing in the KHL Avangard Omsk where he was a teamate with Jagr, he collasped on the ice and taken to the hallway and the medics couldn't revive him, Roman Lyashenko was another Russian who hung himself in the offseason.

Boogaard i was shocked and saddened by his death and hope wish his family my best wishes and the Ranger fans as well
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    So sorry to read this- looking more and more ominous,...

http://newyorkpost.com/p/sports/rangers ... esw7ChGNEM

As loved ones, friends, teammates and the extended hockey world mourn the loss of Derek Boogaard and await the findings of an autopsy performed yesterday in Minneapolis, The Post has learned that the 28-year-old Rangers’ winger had been receiving counseling in the NHL/NHLPA Substance Abuse & Behavioral Health Program in the weeks prior to his death Friday night.

Sources close to the situation stressed it would not only be unfair to draw inferences from Boogaard’s participation in the program as to the cause of his death, but that everyone who had been in recent contact with the universally popular athlete was impressed with his positive attitude and shocked to learn of his death.

Boogaard, who was sidelined for the season after just 22 games when he sustained a concussion in Ottawa on Dec. 9 in a fight with Matt Carkner, was given permission by management to leave the team with approximately a week to go in the regular season in order to receive counseling to help him deal with unspecified issues.

Results from the autopsy, performed by the Hennepin County Medical Examiner’s office, may not be known for up to two weeks. Boogaard was found dead in his Minneapolis apartment on Friday night by family members. The police do not believe the death was a result of foul play.

Boogaard — one of the NHL’s most feared heavyweights throughout his career, in which he spent five years with the Wild before signing with the Rangers as a free agent last summer — was remembered across the hockey community as “a gentle giant” with a giving nature and infectious personality.

“I got to know him pretty well in three years as his teammate in Minny, and I can tell you that no one ever had a bad word to say about him,” the Devils’ Brian Rolston said by phone. “He was a friendly, outgoing guy with a big heart who had time for everyone, who loved interacting with fans and who was terrific in the community.

“He was a great teammate who leaves an enormous number of friends behind.”

Boogaard, whose contract was four years at a cap hit of $1.625 million per, had difficulty claiming a spot and role in the Rangers’ lineup after reporting to training camp significantly above his reported weight of 265 pounds. Coach John Tortorella was loathe to give the big man ice time and repeatedly referred to Boogaard’s need to improve his conditioning. The 6-foot-7 native of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, who told reporters late in the year that he was embarrassed by his season, had planned to spend this summer in New York working with club conditioning coach Reg Grant.

Despite playing a total of 100:05 as a Ranger (4:32 per in 22 games during which he had a goal, an assist, seven fights and 45 penalty minutes), he nevertheless became a valued member of the community through his “Boogaard Booguardians” program in which he hosted members of the military and their families at home games, as well as a very popular teammate.

“That’s one of the things about him that impressed me the most,” Ryan Callahan said during a phone conversation. “A lot of guys going through that kind of a year would have complained and had a negative impact, but Boogey showed up with a smile every day and was supportive and a great teammate.

“He never made it about himself or his situation. He was such a caring individual. If you never met him and all you knew about him was from watching his fights, you probably would never have guessed, but the term ‘gentle giant’ was just about invented for him.

“It’s a tremendous loss.”
    platessmall.jpg
    Derek donated his brain to science in order to0 try and help science find out more about Traumatic Brain Injuries. Very honorable, even in death he reaches out to help other people.

http://newyorkpost.com/p/sports/rangers ... cjheZxChjJ
    platessmall.jpg
    looks like booze and pain killers did in the boggieman :(

Yep..Alcohol and Oxycodone mixture

edited May 2011
    Theyre releasing this info as an " accident " ?

Accidental OD ?
    Or it could even be suicide.
    They did release info late last week that he spent the final months of his life in an NHL Substance Abuse program of some sort, really sad nonetheless.

RIP Boogeyman .
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775

heartbreaking stuff.

makes ya wonder what goes on in the heads of these athletes.
    MATTEAU MATTEAU MATTEAU! 17 years ago today Stephane Matteau scored in double overtime in an epic Game 7 at MSG, eliminating the Devils from the Eastern Conference Finals.

Never gets old !

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocente ... &id=115820

One more hill to climb, baby !
    platessmall.jpg
    This date in NYR History - May 31, 1879 - the first Madison Square Garden Opens.

http://photos-e.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak ... 1459_s.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    MATTEAU MATTEAU MATTEAU! 17 years ago today Stephane Matteau scored in double overtime in an epic Game 7 at MSG, eliminating the Devils from the Eastern Conference Finals.

Never gets old !

http://video.rangers.nhl.com/videocente ... &id=115820

One more hill to climb, baby !

What a moment.
    AVERY VOROS AND RICHARDS tweeted from jamaica...hmnnnnnnn
  • xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,233
    Remember Jan Erixon from the early 1990s? It looks the Rangers acquired his son today from the Flames.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."