B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    praise the lord! thought sather was going to F up this one too.

Defenseman Marc Staal signed a new, five-year deal with the New York Rangers, the team announced Wednesday, assuring he will be in training camp when it opens Friday.

The deal is worth $19.875 million, a source with knowledge of the deal told ESPN The Magazine's E.J. Hradek, with a breakdown of: $3.1 million this season; $3.675 million in 2011-12; $3.775 million in 2012-13; $3.875 million in 2013-14; and $5.45 million in the final year.

The annual salary cap hit will be $3.975 million, and the contract does not contain a no-trade or no-move clause.

Staal, 23, was a restricted free agent. He was one of four Rangers to play in all 82 games last season, scoring four goals, 19 assists for 27 points, all career highs.

He has played in 202 consecutive games, including the playoffs, dating to Feb. 19, 2008. He led the team last season with an average of 23 minutes, 7 seconds of ice time per game, and twice logged at least 30 minutes.
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    yey about Staal !
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Yesterday was the first day of camp.
    Will Stepan ( 20 year old center out of Univ of Wisconsin ) crack the lineup?
    ( I read he is a breath of fresh air )
    especially since its no secret that Tortorella doesnt roll 4 lines,....

and will all of our favforite defenseman Wade Redden make it back into the roster ?

Lots of questions before the season begins in a few short weeks,....

Lets Go Rangers
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    Yesterday was the first day of camp.
    Will Stepan ( 20 year old center out of Univ of Wisconsin ) crack the lineup?
    ( I read he is a breath of fresh air )
    especially since its no secret that Tortorella doesnt roll 4 lines,....

and will all of our favforite defenseman Wade Redden make it back into the roster ?

Lots of questions before the season begins in a few short weeks,....

Lets Go Rangers

IT WAS NICE TO OPEN THE PAPERS AND SEE THESE HOCKEY STORIES TODAY :mrgreen:
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
  • It was nice. I used to work with the new beat writer for the Daily News.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Ruslan Fedotenko is also in camp on a tryout basis .
    Imagine an all import line of Fedotenko, Frolov and Gaborik?
    :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Ruslan Fedotenko is also in camp on a tryout basis .
    Imagine an all import line of Fedotenko, Frolov and Gaborik?
    :shock: :o :shock: :o :shock:
    that wasnt accurate.

accordiung to todays papers, even tho there wasnt even 1 puck put on the ice or even a goalnet on the ice, the line combo appears to be Gaborik on the right , Frolov on the left and centered by young stud Stepan in the pivot psition.
    platessmall.jpg
  • drury broke finger...out 4 weeks...let the fun begin
    i post on the board of a band that doesn't exsist anymore .......i need my head examined.......
    drury broke finger...out 4 weeks...let the fun begin

but who is going to kill our penalties? :roll:
    rival. wrote:

but who is going to kill our penalties? :roll:

Good time for Stepan to step on up to the plate !
    platessmall.jpg
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,685

Good luck to the Rangers this yr. Already have a bad break :lol: sorry. But its not surprising, I feel their whole line up is fragile except for a few players. I give Gaborik 2 weeks from when the season opens before he goes down.
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • BLACK35 wrote:

Good luck to the Rangers this yr. Already have a bad break :lol: sorry. But its not surprising, I feel their whole line up is fragile except for a few players. I give Gaborik 2 weeks from when the season opens before he goes down.

alot of people said the same thing last year.. hopefully its a reverse jinx again
  • BLACK35BLACK35 Hanover, Ontario Posts: 22,685
    BLACK35 wrote:

alot of people said the same thing last year.. hopefully its a reverse jinx again

we'll see :D , let the season begin

Go Leafs Go 8-)
    2005 - London
    2009 - Toronto
    2010 - Buffalo
    2011 - Toronto 1&2
    2013 - London, Pittsburgh, Buffalo
    2014 - Cincinnati, St. Louis, Detroit
    2016 - Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Ottawa, Toronto 1
    2018 - Fenway 1&2
    2022 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2023 - Chicago 1&2
    2024 - Las Vegas 1&2
  • Coach John Tortorella just met with the media regarding Chris Drury’s broken left index finger, the play of center prospect Derek Stepan and what role beyond fighting Derek Boogaard might have, among other topics.

The complete transcript is below.

Tortorella did say the Rangers would have to consider a different glove or padding for Drury (he tried extensions last season but didn’t like them) because he does block so many shots with his hands. And Tortorella agreed with right wing Marian Gaborik, who, earlier in the day, said one of the things that most impressed about Stepan was that the Wisconsin product shows no signs of being scared on the ice despite this being his first NHL training camp.

As for Thursday’s preseason game, Tortorella said the team would probably finalize by tomorrow which players would dress.
    ======================================================
    Follow me on Twitter at twitter.com/AGrossRecord

On Chris Drury:
    “Knowing him, you never know what’s going to happen. It’s a tough break for him. He’s a big part of our club as far as what he brings on and off the ice. I know he was anxious to get back at it this year. I think we’ll be able condition him throughout it all. It’s his hand, so I don’t think he’s going to lose his conditioning. You never know what happens with those injuries, how quickly they heal. But, obviously, we’ve got to do something with his gloves because of the way he blocks shots, we’ve got to change that up a little bit because he’s so good at it but the way he does it is different than other people and we need to protect him better. I’m not sure what type of gloves he wears but he keeps on getting hit on his hands. It’s just happening too much because he’s one of the best shot blockers in the league. He doesn’t go out there and protect himself at all. He tries to be as big as he can and that’s where he leaves himself a little exposed.”

On looking at other centers:
    “There are some centers we need to look at throughout the exhibition season anyway. It’s a tough break but we just have to keep moving on here and going about our business and hopefully he gets back as quickly as possible.”

On which centers have impressed him:
    “I don’t want to single out anybody. I’m really happy with the camp, though, as far as the condition that people are in, the scrimmages have been good. I think a lot of people have contributed.”

On settling on a lineup for Thursday:
    “In some situations, some guys are fighting to play an exhibition game. I think we’ll make our lineups tomorrow. The rookie game is 1 o’clock, I think we have a pretty good idea who the rookies are. I like to get some scouts’ input, Glen’s, who they’d like to see in the first one, especially in our building. We’ll get to that tomorrow. I think we’ll have a good idea tomorrow.”

On Stepan:
    “He’s played in some pretty high-intensity tournaments along the way, the World Championships and college. I think most of our kids, including him, have handled themselves well coming into a big camp. He equipped himself very well. Little Kennedy has done some good things in the middle of the ice. I’m just happy that guys are competing and we’re able to see some of the young kids step up here. I think our kids have played very well as we’ve gone through the early part of camp.”

On Stepan playing with Gaborik and Frolov:
    “Once we got our numbers, I put some teams together. No question in our mind we want to look at Stepan in a lot of different situations. We want to evaluate how he handles things and see where he is as we go through camp because we’re going to have make a decision on that position with him. So we want to look at him a lot of different situations as far as the big club is concerned.”

On Boogaard:
    “We all know what his biggest strength is. The first thing we’re trying to work with him, I don’t think he’s been through a camp like this. For a big man, I think conditioning is a huge component, especially for him. I really don’t think he’s been through this type of skating and testing. It doesn’t surprise me, a lot of guys struggle through it. But we want to give him an opportunity to get his legs underneath him as far as conditioning. Then we need to work with him and try to help him as a player. We all know his biggest strength. We have some work to do in the other part of the game and he does, too, it has to a be a two-way street. It’s a process and conditioning is the first thing that comes into play. It’s still in our game, guys feel more comfortable when a guy like that is around. We also want him to play, we want him to give us some minutes. He will not be able to give us minutes until we start and we break it right down, from conditioning right on through and have him understand our team concept and what’s expected of him. I’m not sure how he was treated in Minnesota, if he was just told to go out and fight. That’s not what we’re looking for here. He’ll have his opportunities to do that but we also want to try help him become a better player and help us by adding some minutes to our lineup. He’s a good kid. The beginning of camp, it’s been for him. The guy’s huge. I’m not sure what weight he should be at. We’re just beginning to understand him to help him.”

On defense prospects Pavel Valentenko and Ryan McDonagh:
    “You talk about Stepan and the younger players who haven’t shied away, those two guys haven’t. Valentenko has been physical. He’s struggled through the skates but he has worked right on through it, he hasn’t given in to it. This is the first time I’ve seen him but he’s done pretty well in the scrimmages. The first thing you think about with McDonagh is his feet, he’s got really good feet and he’s got an awareness about him as far as that position is concerned. We wanted them to turn pro, him and Stepan out of that Wisconsin team, we’re glad they did so they can get started on their pro careers so we can see them.”

On Brian Boyle:
    “He’s trying to make the team. He’s played very well. He knows in our forward position, there’s a little bit of a logjam as far as decisions we have to make. He’s had a good start to the camp and we’ll see where it goes.”

Posted by Andrew Gross on 09/20 at 03:55 PM
  • roster for thursday night

Here’s the game roster:
    D: Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, Alexei Semenov, Michal Rozsival, Mike Sauer, Ryan McDonagh.
    F:Brandon Prust, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Brian Boyle, Erik Christensen, Alex Frolov, Dale Weise, Mats Zuccarello, Derek Stepan, Derek Boogaard.
    G: Marty Biron, Chad Johnson
  • and the new season @ MSG begins tonight

the first of 43 (hopefully more) fantastic nights :lol:

and 43 garden hotdogs :sick:

Just one a night? :lol:
    GoiMTvP.gif

Just one a night? :lol:

well i forgot the 43 pretzels and knish's :mrgreen::lol:

but yes just uno dog...anymore you're risking instant death
    roster for thursday night

Here’s the game roster:
    D: Dan Girardi, Marc Staal, Alexei Semenov, Michal Rozsival, Mike Sauer, Ryan McDonagh.
    F:Brandon Prust, Marian Gaborik, Tim Kennedy, Brandon Dubinsky, Ruslan Fedotenko, Brian Boyle, Erik Christensen, Alex Frolov, Dale Weise, Mats Zuccarello, Derek Stepan, Derek Boogaard.

PUMPED!
  • rival. wrote:
    roster for thursday night

Here’s the game roster:

PUMPED!

i can't wait to smell the ice!!

finally the real sport is back!!! :mrgreen:
    I cant wait to finally see this Derek Stepan-
    theyve been raving about him in the Blueshirt Bulletin for a while now.
    Supposed tobe a breath of frtesh air.

Also looking forward to seeing our new goon Boogard .

- _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ -
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    I cant wait to finally see this Derek Stepan-
    theyve been raving about him in the Blueshirt Bulletin for a while now.
    Supposed tobe a breath of frtesh air.

Also looking forward to seeing our new goon Boogard .

- _/ Lets Go Rangers \_ -

BOOGIE MAN TONIGHT :mrgreen:
    and no Sean Avery tonight ? .....
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    and no Sean Avery tonight ? .....

as of the lineup yesterday no

according to the papers he isn't guaranteed any spot

i talked to him last monday when he came up for charity day and he didn't seem to concerned about it
  • for the 1st pre-season game...it was awesome

2 good fights

stephan is a keeper

and frolov was a solid pickup
    solid performance last night. love the youth, love the speed.

enjoyed watching biron play in net. hopefully he will cut hank's workload down to 55-60 games.
  • rival. wrote:
    solid performance last night. love the youth, love the speed.

enjoyed watching biron play in net. hopefully he will cut hank's workload down to 55-60 games.

thats the idea my good man
    Stepan made a good impression.
    Good skating, and good goaltending.

Biron looked pretty good in the Blue white and red, and he looked pretty confident .
    platessmall.jpg
    edited September 2010
    Post edited by Bathgate66 on
    platessmall.jpg
  • Great comeback tonight considering it was a preseason game

Mikey d 1 goal 3helpers