B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    at bad as those 7/8 years were, doesn't it seem so long ago?

with all the talk about leetch & richter in the US hockey hall, they keep bringing up, "what if richter was a good team for the final stretch of his career?" easily top 5 of all time.
    easily! Its a shame how those 2 players careers suffered as a result of bad management decisions :(

those non playoffs yrs lasted an eternity for me..a painful one at that

and now are long forgotten..I want a Cup real soon!
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i know unfortunately many of you cannot view certain things at work and i sincerely apologize and hope that youll return later on tonight.
    check out the graphics and the red white and blue - still classic after all these years of an orginal 6 , proud franchise this is an absolute gem from the 1970s :

this was posted earlier this morning on the blueshirt bulletin site by dubi himself :

http://ordinaryleastsquare.typepad.com/blueshirtbulletin/

bathgate.jpg

August 22, 2008
    Doing the Right Thing
    In a surprise development, the Rangers have done an about-face and will retire jersey #9 in honor of Andy Bathgate as well as Adam Graves, and will reverse the longtime neglect of Harry Howell, retiring his #3 too. We have known since Brian Leetch night that Graves was headed to the rafters to reside forever with his 1994 Cup winning teammates Mark Messier, Mike Richter, and of course Leetch. That date has now been officially set at February 3rd.

But what we didn't know was that Bathgate and Howell would get the full retirement treatment -- Larry Brooks reported last April in the Post that their jerseys would be raised as "honored numbers" rather than retirements. That plan has now apparently been amended, with the two legends from the Original Six era now slated to be honored on February 22nd in the same manner afforded Rod Gilbert and Eddie Giacomin, the only numbers recognized prior to the 1994 Stanley Cup win.

Stan Fischler, who saw Bathgate and Howell play extensively, recalls Bathgate at Game On! here and writes about Graves here. To read more, see the official announcement at NYR.com as well as articles in the Post, Newsday, Blueshirts Blog, Blue Notes, and Rangers Report. In one other piece of news about 1994 Cup winners, Prospect Park seems to be the only place that noticed that Jeff Beukeboom is joining Barrie of the OHL as assistant coach.

Posted by Dubi on August 22, 2008 at 10:24 AM | Permalink
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    August 26, 2008
    Prospect Roster Gets Messier
    There was a small surprise on the roster the Rangers released yesterday for the Traverse City Prospects Tournament. Lyon Messier, Mark Messier's son [pictured at right], was one of five players who are not Ranger property who were invited to participate on a try-out basis. The 21-year-old defenseman has been kicking around various junior leagues, playing in the OHL, WHL, and USHL last season.

Also invited were three other defensemen -- Tysen Dowzak, a 20-year-old bruiser at 6'5-225 who finished three seasons in the WHL after coming out of the Shattuck-St. Mary's hight school program (read more about him here), Czech native David Stich, a 6'2-215 pound 19-year-old who played in the QMJHL the past two seasons, and Nick Pageau, 20, who gets a second look after participating in Prospect Development Camp in June -- the smallish (6'1-175) offensive defenseman played three seasons in the OHL. The final invitee is Matt Meropoulis, a 5'11-190 pound winger with no offense to speak of who most likely received the invitation because he is an Edmonton native who played for the WHL team partly owned by Glen Sather (read about that here).

See Blue Notes for the complete roster, which is otherwise composed of prospects drafted by the Rangers or signed by the Rangers or Wolf Pack. On the roster is newly signed Czech defenseman Tomas Kundratek. A report at hokej.cz fails to shed any light on how the Rangers resolved the one problem they had in signing their 2008 third round pick -- Kundratek's Czech club has not yet acknowledged that he has signed, let alone how the Rangers gained his release from his contract with them. See Red Wings Central for a tournament schedule -- the players will practive on September 12th and then play against prospects from seven other NHL teams between the 13th and 17th.

The Rangers will pare the roster down at the end of the tournament -- some players will be cut and others will be sent to their junior teams, with the remainder coming to the MSG Training Center for Ranger training camp. For news on former prospects no longer in the organization, see Howlings -- this article has some comments on the Rangers from Bruce Graham, who becomes the ninth of the Rangers' thirteen 2004 draftees to leave the organization (remaining are Brandon Dubinsky, profiled at NHLPA.com, Ryan Callahan, Lauri Korpikoski, and Dane Byers).
    platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    August 26, 2008
    Prospect Roster Gets Messier
    There was a small surprise on the roster the Rangers released yesterday for the Traverse City Prospects Tournament. Lyon Messier, Mark Messier's son [pictured at right], was one of five players who are not Ranger property who were invited to participate on a try-out basis. The 21-year-old defenseman has been kicking around various junior leagues, playing in the OHL, WHL, and USHL last season.

interesting. wonder how he got an invite :)

can't wait. preseason a short 3 weeks away?
    first it was with GOB ROBERTS on VFC in 04 at the Toledo Pearl Jam Show, now its with the Rangers at camp and ON THE BENCH ?
    What gives Tim Robbins, please stop playing with my passions,.....

Blueshirt Bulletin

robbins.jpg

August 29, 2008
    Tomas Misses Tiger Camp, Tim Misses Sean Already
    Training camp has already started for Ranger prospects playing junior hockey this season. But two of them have not yet taken to the ice with their respective teams. Tomas Kundratek could only watch as Medicine Hat practiced because his transfer papers have yet to arrive from the Czech Republic -- we still haven't learned exactly how the Rangers arranged for his release from his contract there. And Evgeny Grachev remains in New York resting a hip pointer and will not report to Brampton until the end of next week.

Prospect Park has a complete update on these two players as well as all the others. Justin Soryal is working out with his junior team, the Peterborough Petes, in preparation for his first pro season in the Ranger organization. All of the prospects will leave their teams and report on September 11th to Traverse City, Michigan, for the start of their annual Prospect Tournament. Meanwhile, in Russia, injury-prone Ivan Baranka, a defector who is still Ranger property, is hurt already, sustaining a broken rib (see Beyond the Blueshirts).

In one other bit of news, celebrity Ranger fan Tim Robbins will be participating in a benefit game along with Sean Avery and other players and personalities, and has asked to be on a line with Avery, whom he regrets will no longer be a Ranger. Robbins has always been a great promoter of the game, both as a fan and as a recreational player -- he was on our Sky Rink team for a few seasons a few years ago, around the time when Dead Man Walking came out (he told us before it was released that he expected critics to like it but viewers to ignore it -- the rest, as they say, is history).
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    first it was with GOB ROBERTS on VFC in 04 at the Toledo Pearl Jam Show, now its with the Rangers at camp and ON THE BENCH ?
    What gives Tim Robbins, please stop playing with my passions,.....

Blueshirt Bulletin

robbins.jpg

August 29, 2008
    Tomas Misses Tiger Camp, Tim Misses Sean Already
    Training camp has already started for Ranger prospects playing junior hockey this season. But two of them have not yet taken to the ice with their respective teams. Tomas Kundratek could only watch as Medicine Hat practiced because his transfer papers have yet to arrive from the Czech Republic -- we still haven't learned exactly how the Rangers arranged for his release from his contract there. And Evgeny Grachev remains in New York resting a hip pointer and will not report to Brampton until the end of next week.

Prospect Park has a complete update on these two players as well as all the others. Justin Soryal is working out with his junior team, the Peterborough Petes, in preparation for his first pro season in the Ranger organization. All of the prospects will leave their teams and report on September 11th to Traverse City, Michigan, for the start of their annual Prospect Tournament. Meanwhile, in Russia, injury-prone Ivan Baranka, a defector who is still Ranger property, is hurt already, sustaining a broken rib (see Beyond the Blueshirts).

In one other bit of news, celebrity Ranger fan Tim Robbins will be participating in a benefit game along with Sean Avery and other players and personalities, and has asked to be on a line with Avery, whom he regrets will no longer be a Ranger. Robbins has always been a great promoter of the game, both as a fan and as a recreational player -- he was on our Sky Rink team for a few seasons a few years ago, around the time when Dead Man Walking came out (he told us before it was released that he expected critics to like it but viewers to ignore it -- the rest, as they say, is history).
    1st things first-The only way the Tim Robbins news is cool if Ed was his assistant behind the bench
    2nd off-Looks like Baranka's going from highly touted prospect to being a bust. If Injuries are plaguing him already, forget it. Lets see how Sanguinetti does
    http://rangers.lohudblogs.com/2008/08/29/oh-yeah-hockey/

Greetings from Flushing Meadows, where I’m waiting out a rain delay at the U.S. Open, and where I’ve spent the past few days scanning the crowd here for members of your favorite hockey team (I saw Henrik Lundqvist briefly here during the men’s final last year, so my suspicion is some of the Rangers will be in attendance. In other news, a spy reported seeing Chris Drury yesterday at the Yankees game).

Anyway, by way of the Slap Shot blog at the New York Times, here are some fairly revealing comments from new Ranger Markus Naslund about the season ahead. The basic gist is Naslund says he’s motivated, which I presume is better news than “I don’t really care about hockey anymore and am instead preparing for a career in competitive eating.”

“I want to show that I can play better,” Naslund told the Swedish newspaper Expressen. “I really want to have a good year and have trained harder than ever this summer.

“I feel better prepared than perhaps ever before an NHL season and I’m aware that it is important that I get a good start in New York.”

Speaking of Tom Renney, Naslund said, “He was our coach in 1997-98 and I have only good to say about him. It’s obvious that he has been coaching for a while now. My situation is also different, I was young then and was just trying to earn a spot on the team. I think that we will have a different relationship now.”

And then there’s the Garden crowd, as well as that pesky New York media.

“There will be real push there. You felt it even as the visiting team. The fans and the media are demanding, and we must be prepared for that. It might help to have played in Canada and in the press that exists in Vancouver.”

OK, play’s starting up again. More later…
    platessmall.jpg
    The swedish invasions about to begin

I forgot that Renney coached Naslund back then. Cool, so like he said at least the relationships gona be better than Jagrs and Seans was with them apparently

cant wait for the season to begin already!
    word on the season starting sooner rather then later.

:)

http://www.nationalpost.com/sports/story.html?id=756887\

-
    Redden ready to be at Ranger
    'Big Undertaking'; Former Senators poster boy headed to N. Y.

OTTAWA - The long goodbye continues for former Ottawa Senators defenceman Wade Redden.

Redden was in Ottawa yesterday going through informal drills with Senators captain Daniel Alfredsson and two university players, getting in as much skating as possible before leaving for New York on Tuesday and the next chapter in his career with the New York Rangers.

Redden has spent his entire 11-year career with the Senators, but it was a foregone conclusion that the 2007-08 season would be his last with the club and that he would become an unrestricted free agent in the summer.

The Rangers came calling quickly with a six-year, US$39-million contract -- a deal that has been criticized around the NHL, considering Redden had an inconsistent season with the Senators.

"I don't think it will really sink in until I get down [to New York]," he said. "I will get in there, get settled. Just the move itself, that's a big undertaking. So, I guess it will sink in next week. Obviously, I've had a lot of time to prepare myself. It's still going to be a little bit of a shock."

Redden, 31, was the Senators' poster boy for the longest time. Originally drafted by the New York Islanders second overall in 1995, he was traded to Ottawa before playing his first NHL game. He was part of the three-way deal that also sent Bryan Berard, Ottawa's first overall selection in 1995, to the Islanders.

Redden has scored 101 goals and 309 assists in 838 regular season games, adding another 12 goals and 33 assists in 94 playoff games.

But when he failed to live up to the expectations that came with the two-year, US$13-million contract he signed before the 2006-07 season -- the Senators opted to keep him instead of Zdeno Chara -- his days in Ottawa were numbered.

While he remained a top-line player, he lost some playing time in key situations.

Last season, he scored only six goals (his lowest output since the 1996-97 season) and had 32 assists.

All of that made the Rangers' contract offer shocking to many observers.

Redden has heard his share of criticism and he says he's prepared for whatever comes his way.

"I'm going to go in there with an open mind and be ready," he said. "I will get a lot of opportunity there -- I guess it's the same role I've always had. I just have to go in there and do what I can do, and work hard and play well."

Alfredsson, who, along with Redden, has lived through all the ups and downs of the Senators organization, wishes Redden well.

"We'll still be in touch a lot and I'm sure we'll have fun with each other on the ice, as well," said Alfredsson. "It's a challenge for him, which I think could be good for him, as well. Any time you come to a new organization, you want to prove yourself. You want to get off to a good start and I'm sure that's his approach, too."
    platessmall.jpg
    [size=+3] Lets Go Rangers ! [/size]

best daughter tag ever !

cant wait !
    hopefully prague will be on TV !

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=26360

Rangers /Prague Fan Trips On-Sale Now!
    Thursday, October 2nd – Monday, October 6th

New York Rangers vs. Tampa Bay Lightning
    O2 Arena, Prague

Space is limited.
    Sold on a First – Come, First – Served basis.

• Roundtrip air from NY area airports to Prague, Czech Republic.
    (Some flights may included a connection.)

• 3 Nights Hotel accommodations with Daily Breakfast in hotel.

• One (1) upper level ticket to the Rangers vs. Lightning games on Saturday, Oct. 4 and Sunday, Oct. 5 (limited lower level upgrades are available).

• Exclusive access to the Rangers morning practice on Saturday with Ranger alumni.

• Prague Castle Tour on Sunday.

• Official Rangers Deluxe Gift Bag.

• Roundtrip ground transportation in Prague (airports and arena) Premiere Corporate Events staff pre-planning and on-site to assist.

• All taxes and porterage fees included.

• Packages start at approximately $3,850 USD per person, based on a double occupancy.

• Passport required.

The Rangers have partnered with Premiere Corporate Events to bring you this once in a lifetime experience.

Click here for complete information and to purchase your trip.
    platessmall.jpg
    NYR prospects Defending Thier Title

Ranger Prospects Stand Out

Prospects look to defend tourney title Eight members of last year's team return to Traverse City event newyorkrangers.com Sep 1, 2008, 9:58 PM EDT • Tournament Roster and Schedule

For the third consecutive year, the Rangers' first step toward their annual quest for the Stanley Cup will involve sending many of the organization's top young prospects to Traverse City, Mich.

Russian center Artem Anisimov is the highest-scoring Rangers player returning to Traverse City. In 2007, he had five points in three tournament games.
    A team of 23 Rangers hopefuls will head out to Michigan later this month to compete in the Detroit Red Wings' annual Traverse City Prospects Tournament. The Blueshirts will enter this year's event as the defending tournament champions, having gone 4-0 in their last visit to the Red Wings' training-camp home.

A year ago, the Rangers dominated from start to finish, beating Tampa Bay to open the tournament and routing Columbus 5-1 to close the title game. Along the way, they outscored opponents by a 19-10 margin and delivered the tournament's biggest upset when they beat the host Red Wings 3-2 on the final day of round-robin play.

Eight NHL teams will be competing in Traverse City from Sept. 13-17, with most returning from last season. In addition to the Rangers, this year's field includes Detroit, Atlanta, Columbus, Dallas, Minnesota, St. Louis and Tampa Bay.

All three of teams that the Rangers beat in round-robin play last season – the Red Wings, Thashers and Lightning – will be round-robin opponents again this year. Only this time around, the toughest game will likely come first, since the Blueshirts open play against Detroit, which will have overwhelming fan support on its side.

A year ago, the championship Rangers team included one player with NHL experience in Brandon Dubinsky, who had played six games for the Rangers during the 2006-07 season. No one on the 2008 squad, however, has ever seen NHL action, but this team is far from green.

Eight of the 23 Rangers headed for Traverse City have already been through the experience. Returnees Artem Anisimov, Joe Barnes, Brodie Dupont, Antoine Lafleur, Tommy Pyatt, Bobby Sanguinetti and David Skokan were all part of last year's championship squad.

Anisimov, who will make a run for a spot on the Rangers' NHL roster when he returns from Michigan to join the team's main training camp, is already a proven Traverse City star. The Russian center scored two goals and added three assists last year, dominating a 5-3 win over Atlanta and also playing very well in the title game against Columbus, when he skated on a line with Skokan.

Defenseman Sanguinetti, the Rangers' 2006 first-round draft pick, is another 20-year-old member of the Traverse City squad who has hopes of finding his way into the NHL this season. Last year, he scored a goal and added two assists in the four tournament games.

Skokan also scored three points for the Blueshirts last year, notching three assists. Zaborsky and Dupont each chipped in one assist to the championship run, and Lafleur was in net for two victories, including the title game, where he stopped 17 of 18 shots.

Sanguinetti and Anisimov, the Rangers' first two picks in 2006 are two of 12 Rangers draft picks on the 2008 team. That includes five of this summer's 2008 draftees in first-rounder Michael Del Zotto, third-rounders Evgeny Grachev and Tomas Kundratek, fourth-rounder Dale Weise, and fifth-rounder Chris Doyle.

Traverse City will be a big test for Del Zotto, who will look to follow in the footsteps of former first-round defensemen Marc Staal and Sanguinetti with a strong showing in Traverse City. Russia's Grachev and the Czech Republic's Kundratek, meanwhile, will get their first taste of North American-style hockey before opening the season on major-junior teams. Unless they find their way onto the Rangers roster as 18-year-olds, Grachev will be playing in the OHL with Sanguinetti's former Brampton teammates, while Kundratek will go to Medicine Hat.

In addition to the 12 draftees, there are two undrafted players who signed their first NHL contracts with the Rangers on the Traverse City team. Defenseman Vladimir Denisov, the oldest player on the team at age 24, and forward Justin Soryal, who completed his major-junior career with Peterborough last spring, will represent the Blueshirts for the first time.

Also making Rangers debuts will be a group of players who signed contracts with the team's AHL affiliate in Hartford. The Wolf Pack contingent includes former Harvard captain Mike Taylor, former McGill University defenseman David Urquhart and Sergei Demagin, one of two Belarusians on the team along with Denisov.

Five players on the team are undrafted free agents whose NHL rights aren't held by any team. These players signed Amateur Try-Out contracts to play in Traverse City and also attend the Rangers' main training camp. The group includes Lyon Messier, the 21-year-old son of Rangers great Mark Messier. Unlike his high-scoring dad, Lyon Messier is a defensive defenseman, who will be wearing No. 86 in Traverse City.

Nick Pageau is the only one of the five try-out attendees who participated in the Rangers' Prospect Development Camp last June at the MSG Training Center, where training camp opens on Sept. 16. Pageau, a defenseman who completed his OHL career with Belleville last season, showed tremendous scoring potential in his final season as an under-age junior player and made enough of an impression at the Prospects Camp to be asked back for Traverse City.

The other three try-out candidates -- Tysen Dowzak, David Stich and Matt Meropoulis -- all played major-junior hockey last season and will be motivated to prove their pro hockey potential in Traverse City.
    platessmall.jpg
    sweeeeet!! I'm liking the whole youth movement.
    Looks like kids will be fighting hard for spots this yr.
  • i am really excited to see what sanguinetti can do. i've been hoping he lives up to the hype since the day they drafted him
    MSG II 6/25/08
    i am really excited to see what sanguinetti can do. i've been hoping he lives up to the hype since the day they drafted him
    Sanguinetti and Staal sounds like a defensive unit and cornerstone of the franchise for yrs to come. Let us hope Bobby has that same potential Marc has and we'll be aight back there
    Blueshirt Bulletin

September 04, 2008
    Still in a Holding Pattern
    Things remain quiet as we await the start of training camp, which begins a week from today when prospects report to Traverse City for the annual tournament there. The Mats Sundin watch continues to be a yawner -- perhaps this is why he wants to leave hockey behind (thanks to reader Mike Folchi for the link). Bryan McCabe's trade to Florida has brought forth the news that the Rangers were his alternative destination until Wade Redden's signing. NHL.com has a Ranger season preview, a look at top sophomores that includes Brandon Dubinsky (but not Marc Staal), and a feature on the NHL Premiere series that includes the Rangers' trip to Prague. Prospect Park looks at prospect action in the QMJHL.

Ranger assistant coach Mike Pelino watched Jaromir Jagr's Omsk team drop its season opener despite Jagr's assist -- Beyond the Blueshirts has his impressions, translated from Russian. For Ranger fans wondering how Jagr's presence in Omsk would affect first round draftee Alexei Cherepanov, the news is not good after one game -- "Cherepanov was held off the scoreboard in limited ice time, particularly in the second half of the game when Jagr was regularly double-shifted in his place," reports Beyond the Blueshirts. "It’s possible he may have suffered some sort of injury, as he played only 7:19 in 9 shifts, all in the first half of the game."
    platessmall.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    Blueshirt Bulletin

September 04, 2008
    Still in a Holding Pattern
    Things remain quiet as we await the start of training camp, which begins a week from today when prospects report to Traverse City for the annual tournament there. The Mats Sundin watch continues to be a yawner -- perhaps this is why he wants to leave hockey behind (thanks to reader Mike Folchi for the link). Bryan McCabe's trade to Florida has brought forth the news that the Rangers were his alternative destination until Wade Redden's signing. NHL.com has a Ranger season preview, a look at top sophomores that includes Brandon Dubinsky (but not Marc Staal), and a feature on the NHL Premiere series that includes the Rangers' trip to Prague. Prospect Park looks at prospect action in the QMJHL.
    McCabe's prime location was the Islanders in February, lolsters.
    Sundin's shot himself in the foot as far as going to a cup contender is concerned. Besides, you guys getting rid of Gomez to land him is impossible.
    :confused:

haha

i sincerely doubt scott gomez is going anywhere else so quickly, just yet.

Sean Who ?

Averys replacement?

from blueshirt bulletin :
    While it would be great to see those guys step up, Avery’s replacement actually arrived on July 1st when GM Glen Sather announced his first signing of the free agent season, former Minnesota Wild winger Aaron Voros, who agreed to a three year, $3 million deal. “We both filled the agitator role on both sides of the league,” Voros said. “In Minnesota, I was a fan favorite. The things you are strong in in one organization make you enticing to another organization. It’s intriguing playing in New York where the spotlight is on you. I would like to think I can fill that role in New York.”

The 27 year-old Vancouver native got impressive results in his first NHL season. He scored seven goals with seven assists for the Wild in 55 games after he was called up in November. But he said his game was less scoring and more “being the guy who goes to get the puck in the corners.” Although Voros said he will talk trash like Avery, his fists usually say more than his mouth. “Trash talking usually doesn’t last too long with me, because when a guy wants to go, I usually have a hard time saying no,” he explained. “There are different ways of helping your team with a fight or a non-fight.”

That philosophy is what appealed to the Rangers, and Voros saw a chance to shine in New York. “When I was the first hour into [free agency], I spoke with Coach Renney and he outlined what he wanted from me in black and white,” Voros said. “You don’t want a coach where you don’t know where you stand and don’t know what they want from you. For me to do this job, a coach must know what I am capable of doing and any coach needs to trust you in certain situations. I know what I need to do to play in this league and what my strengths are. I know I can’t get away from that.

“When you are in the unique position to pick what team you want to play for in the league, you want to pick a team where your strengths are. If you can play to your strengths, it would be a great thing. And this team is a tremendous team with Coach Renney and the whole mentality of this organization. You don’t want to go through your whole career without winning. I saw a role that I can play a little bit better and I wanted to fill the role for that team.”

Hopefully that role will make Ranger fans forget about Sean Avery.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    :confused:

haha

i sincerely doubt scott gomez is going anywhere else so quickly, just yet.

That is exactly what I meant.
    http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381104

I was gonna go to the NHL q and a with Ryan Miller and Dipietro..just to meet Miller. That guys fuckin awesome right up there with Hank Lundqvist

Rick Nash I think will be there on the 8th
    stickboy wrote:
    http://www.nhl.com/nhl/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381104

I was gonna go to the NHL q and a with Ryan Miller and Dipietro..just to meet Miller. That guys fuckin awesome right up there with Hank Lundqvist

Rick Nash I think will be there on the 8th

thats cool- even Dipietro- i think he is team USAs netminder too .

over at Blueshirt Bulletin they have a nice piece on the new guys.

September 05, 2008
    Rangers Rolling Into Training Center
    Ranger players and coaches are starting to arrive at the MSG Training Center in anticipation of the start of training camp around ten days from now. John Giannone of the MSG Network was there yesterday talking to some of them -- head coach Tom Renney (who he notes is the only Eastern Conference coach to take his team to the playoffs in each of the past three seasons), two high profile free agent signees (Wade Redden and Markus Naslund), and two-time former Ranger Petr Nedved, who hopes to make the team for a third time as a training camp try-out. You can see the conversations in their entirety at the Rangers' video portal -- here are some quotes that we found particularly illuminating.

The Rangers signed a few players coming off down years. Renney explained that the team didn't just take a flyer on these guys based on past performance prior to their recent swoons. "You have to give credit to our scouting group," he said. "They watch these guys all the time. As much as the back of the hockey card would suggest a tough season -- and they would admit the same -- our guys strongly suggest these are still very good players, viable in the NHL, exactly what we need moving forward. With some personal experience with some of these guys, with two of them for sure, I feel awfully good about that."

Even with Kalinin, whom he has not worked with directly, Renney sees a positive upside. "A man like Dmitri is still young by an NHL defenseman's standards," he said. "[He's] a really good international player and [had] some good years in Buffalo. You can't help but think there's a lot in front of him too." His response to the leadership question was interesting. "It will be a sort of roving leadership," he said. "There is a leadership group that I'm sure will emerge -- that comes from Scotty and Chris, Michal Rozsival, Henrik Lundqvist will provide leadership. And the young guys will provide what they can as required."

He could not or would not name a young player he expected to emerge this season, but he named them all as possibilities. "Hard to say," he said when asked who could make the team. "The cupboard is not bare. You've got the Korpikoskis, you've got Dane Byers, people like that. Greg Moore is on the cusp, Hugh Jessiman has had an excellent summer from what I understand, Corey Potter is another example of a young guy that will certainly get an opportunity to make this hockey club. And there are others as well." Artem Anisimov is conspicuous by his absence, but one cannot assume his omission was deliberate.

Naslund described how he likes to play the game and why he didn't fare too well the past few seasons. "I like to play an upbeat offensive game, give and go's, I like to shoot the puck," he said. "I'd like to hopefully have a better year than I've had the last two years. I want to rebound and show I can still play." He said that his decline over the past few seasons "was a combination of a few things. I lost my linemates -- we had great chemistry and I was bouncing around with all kinds of linemates. Plus we ended up playing a different style of game -- we were more of a defensive-minded team and didn't score a lot of goals in Vancouver, so my production went down."

You can listen to Redden's interview if you want to know what he had to say, but those are four minutes and fourteen seconds of your life that you will never get back. Not that he said anything bad -- he just didn't say anything much. Nedved reiterated pretty much what we've already reported about the circumstances of his try-out and what he hopes to accomplish. In one other bit of news, Alexei Cherepanov sustained a groin injury in Avangard's season opener (read about it here). It is said to be the result of too much on-ice activity and is expected to cost him just one game.

cant frickin wait forthis season to get underway- its going to take a few weeks to get acquainted with this new team and players/numbers !

;)

where is NYPJ1 ?
    [size=+2] Lets-Go-Rangers-!
    [/size]
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:

where is NYPJ1 ?
    [size=+2] Lets-Go-Habs-!
    [/size]
    If you aren't joking, he's perma-banned.
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Rygar wrote:

WTF :confused:
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    WTF :confused:
    yea it sucks

hope they let him back on parole or probation at least in time for the hockey season
    Rygar wrote:

you do realize that putting quotes together that are fake are a violation of the TOS , and could likely get you banned also, right ?

alltho i woudnt report you to the moderators and they likely do not read this thread , you can get in trouble for manipulating the quotes of other forum users,...- just so you know .

[/size]
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    you do realize that putting quotes together that are fake are a violation of the TOS , and could likely get you banned also, right ?

alltho i woudnt report you to the moderators and they likely do not read this thread , you can get in trouble for manipulating the quotes of other forum users,...- just so you know .

[/size]
    Actually I didn't know, but limit it to those who'd get and accept the joke (or whom I presume would).
    Rygar wrote:
    Actually I didn't know, but limit it to those who'd get and accept the joke (or whom I presume would).

im glad at least now you know.

dont do it to a isles or leafs fan or they might tattle tale on ya!

they released our roster for training camp today :

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=26561

2008 NEW YORK RANGERS TRAINING CAMP ROSTER
    Forwards
    No. Player POS. HT WT Age 2007-08 Team (League)
    55 Artem Anisimov C 6-3 190 20 Hartford (AHL)
    51 Joe Barnes C 6-3 212 22 Charlotte (ECHL)
    15 Blair Betts C 6-3 210 28 RANGERS (NHL)
    54 Dane Byers LW 6-3 190 22 Hartford (AHL); RANGERS (NHL)
    24 Ryan Callahan RW 5-11 185 23 RANGERS (NHL); Hartford (AHL)
    10 Nigel Dawes LW 5-8 190 23 RANGERS (NHL); Hartford (AHL)
    60 Sergei Demagin LW 6-0 174 22 Minsk (Belarus)
    52 Chris Doyle C 6-0 193 18 Prince Edward Island (QMJHL)
    23 Chris Drury C 5-10 200 32 RANGERS (NHL)
    17 Brandon Dubinsky C 6-1 210 22 RANGERS (NHL)
    58 Brodie Dupont LW 6-2 210 21 Hartford (AHL)
    49 Dan Fritsche C 6-1 202 23 COLUMBUS (NHL)
    19 Scott Gomez C 5-11 200 28 RANGERS (NHL)
    61 Evgeny Grachev C 6-3 202 18 Yaroslavl (Russia)
    53 Ryan Hillier LW 6-0 198 20 Halifax (QMJHL)
    50 Andreas Jamtin RW 6-0 192 25 Jonkoping (Sweden)
    47 Hugh Jessiman RW 6-6 231 24 Hartford (AHL)
    29 Lauri Korpikoski LW 6-1 190 22 Hartford (AHL); RANGERS (NHL)
    84 Matt Meropoulis RW 5-11 192 19 Chilliwack (WHL)
    42 Greg Moore RW 6-1 225 24 Hartford (AHL); RANGERS (NHL)
    91 Markus Naslund LW 5-11 195 35 VANCOUVER (NHL)
    93 Petr Nedved C 6-3 197 36 Prague Sparta (Czech Republic)
    28 Colton Orr RW 6-3 220 26 RANGERS (NHL)
    62 Mike Ouellette C 6-1 187 26 Hartford (AHL); Charlotte (ECHL)
    63 Jordan Owens LW 6-0 170 22 Hartford (AHL); Charlotte (ECHL)
    39 P.A. Parenteau RW 5-11 195 25 Hartford (AHL)
    85 Evan Pighin RW 6-0 185 20 Chilliwack (WHL)
    25 Petr Prucha LW 6-0 175 26 RANGERS (NHL)
    46 Tom Pyatt C 5-11 182 21 Hartford (AHL); Charlotte (ECHL)
    12 Pat Rissmiller C 6-4 205 29 SAN JOSE (NHL)
    20 Fredrik Sjostrom RW 6-1 217 25 PHOENIX-RANGERS (NHL)
    64 David Skokan RW 6-0 202 19 Rimouski (QMJHL)
    64 Justin Soryal LW 6-2 190 21 Peterborough (OHL)
    57 Jake Taylor LW 6-4 225 25 Hartford (AHL)
    34 Aaron Voros LW 6-4 200 27 MINNESOTA (NHL); Houston (AHL)
    83 Dale Weise RW 6-2 206 20 Swift Current (WHL)
    67 Tomas Zaborsky C 5-11 181 20 Saginaw (OHL); Harford (AHL)
    13 Nikolai Zherdev RW 6-1 183 23 COLUMBUS (NHL)
    Defensemen
    68 Michael Busto D 6-2 210 22 Charlotte (ECHL)
    48 Michael Del Zotto D 6-0 211 18 Oshawa (OHL)
    70 Vladimir Denisov D 5-11 207 24 Lake Erie (AHL); Johnstown (ECHL)
    53 Tysen Dowzak D 6-5 226 20 Kelowna (WHL); Texas (ECHL)
    71 Brian Fahey D 6-1 213 27 Chicago (AHL)
    5 Dan Girardi D 6-2 200 24 RANGERS (NHL)
    45 Dmitri Kalinin D 6-3 206 28 BUFFALO (NHL)
    72 Maxim Kondratiev D 6-2 190 25 St. Petersburg (Russia); ANAHEIM (NHL)
    73 Tomas Kundratek D 6-1 180 18 Trinec (Czech Republic)
    27 Paul Mara D 6-4 219 29 RANGERS (NHL)
    86 Lyon Messier D 6-1 175 21 Lincoln (USHL); Kelowna-Erie (WHL-OHL)
    74 Chris Murray D 6-2 185 23 Phoenix (ECHL); L. Erie.-Sprg.-Alb. (AHL)
    75 Nick Pageau D 6-1 175 20 Belleville (OHL)
    22 Thomas Pock D 6-1 210 26 Hartford (AHL); RANGERS (NHL)
    33 Corey Potter D 6-3 205 24 Hartford (AHL)
    6 Wade Redden D 6-2 205 31 OTTAWA (NHL)
    3 Michal Rozsival D 6-2 210 30 RANGERS (NHL)
    59 Bobby Sanguinetti D 6-3 190 20 Brampton (OHL); Hartford (AHL)
    56 Michael Sauer D 6-3 206 21 Hartford (AHL)
    18 Marc Staal D 6-4 204 21 RANGERS (NHL)
    76 David Stich D 6-2 215 19 Saint John (QMJHL)
    78 David Urquhart D 6-0 190 19 McGill Univ. (CIS)
    86 Justin Wallingford D 6-6 226 21 Kingston (OHL)
    Goaltenders
    80 Mike Brodeur G 6-2 167 25 Pensacoloa (ECHL); Rockford (AHL)
    81 Antoine Lafleur G 6-4 186 19 Prince Edward Island (QMJHL)
    30 Henrik Lundqvist G 6-1 195 26 RANGERS (NHL)
    40 Stephen Valiquette G 6-6 220 31 RANGERS (NHL)
    96 Miika Wiikman G 5-11 177 23 Hartford (AHL); Charlotte (ECHL)
    98 Matt Zaba G 6-1 185 25 Idaho, Charlotte (ECHL)

nice mix.
    camt wait for some televised action and of course the special nights coming up in febuary.
    platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    im glad at least now you know.

dont do it to a isles or leafs fan or they might tattle tale on ya!

they released our roster for training camp today :

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NHLPage&id=26561

nice mix.
    camt wait for some televised action and of course the special nights coming up in febuary.

mike brodeur def. made me do a double take at that list.
    I remember we got Maxim Kondratiev in that Leetch deal and then we sent him to Anaheim cause he wasn't all that.
    They brought him back again?
    mike brodeur def. made me do a double take at that list.

is he related to fatso across the river in newark ?

please tell me nedved isnt going to crack this lineup for this season,.....
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    is he related to fatso across the river in newark ?

please tell me nedved isnt going to crack this lineup for this season,.....
    let's hope a prospect can outdo him in camp so the management decision is easy to just cut him quick

Brad Isbister former Isle and Ranger last yr has signed with the Senators