B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Rygar wrote:
    Lol, yeah the 'well placed source' is the New York Post. You're quite late on that one J.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246683&lid=sublink011&lpos=headlines_main
    What's left on your cap anyway, a million?

the post was something different from last week

but i think we have 2 mil left and if we trade rozi's 5 mil salary it would = 7 mil for sundin
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    the post was something different from last week

but i think we have 2 mil left and if we trade rozi's 5 mil salary it would = 7 mil for sundin
    Same 'source'. Don't believe the rumor sites.
    I still say if he doesn't take the 10 million from Vancouver he's going back to Toronto, Onterrible.
    Rygar wrote:
    Same 'source'. Don't believe the rumor sites.
    I still say if he doesn't take the 10 million from Vancouver he's going back to Toronto, Onterrible.

hey man im just passing along an article that was sent to me

when it happens ill believe it
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    hey man im just passing along an article that was sent to me

when it happens ill believe it
    Hey it's possible, the peeps like NYC, but it's still unsubstantiated rumor.
    Remember a few weeks ago someone in Sweden reported Sundin accepted Vancouver's offer which was bs (so far!).
    Rygar wrote:
    Hey it's possible, the peeps like NYC, but it's still unsubstantiated rumor.
    Remember a few weeks ago someone in Sweden reported Sundin accepted Vancouver's offer which was bs (so far!).

very true very true

1 thing is for certain,,,,camps open VERY SOON :)
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    very true very true

1 thing is for certain,,,,camps open VERY SOON :)
    How soon?
    I think he wants to be somewhere before camp opens at least (if he's going to play).
    Almost time to bump the Habs' thread. Tanguay this, Laraques that.
    Rygar wrote:
    How soon?
    I think he wants to be somewhere before camp opens at least (if he's going to play).
    Almost time to bump the Habs' thread. Tanguay this, Laraques that.

early sept i believe? i mean the season starts in oct so it has to be very soon
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    early sept i believe? i mean the season starts in oct so it has to be very soon
    Pre-season starts week of Sept 15-19th I think, so maybe training camp second week of September...
    Not so good though. Last year very low expectations and very high result (reg. season). This year.....
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    #1. No, he's gone.
    #2 I doubt it
    #3 I recall reading a story one time of Beukie and his wife being at some NHLPA outing and $&$# Johnson got on the same bus. Obviously no fisticuffs took place, but it sounded uncomfortable.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    i have the same feeling. avery must've been causing some sort of problem in the locker room or else sather would've given up his left nut to resign a player who was as important to the team as him
    yea and even during the run late in the season when he was "vital" to our success the other players never seemed to be close to him or stand up for him, speak to him, etc. You could tell when you spoke to him...he was just one of them "personalities".
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
    i have the same feeling. avery must've been causing some sort of problem in the locker room or else sather would've given up his left nut to resign a player who was as important to the team as him

ok fair enough

then how do you explain away Jed Ortmeyer ?

:confused:
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    ok fair enough

then how do you explain away Jed Ortmeyer ?

:confused:
    hate to say it bro, but i think it was a business decision and the fact that the kids health was an issue. I loved what he brought to our team but since he's been traded not really the same player again :(
    stickboy wrote:
    hate to say it bro, but i think it was a business decision and the fact that the kids health was an issue. I loved what he brought to our team but since he's been traded not really the same player again :(

yea we didnt hear his name once last year

he had alot of heart but his game was just ok

defense was real good but eh
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    yea we didnt hear his name once last year

he had alot of heart but his game was just ok

defense was real good but eh
    yea I think he had more health problems in Nashville..not sure i fthey even re-signed him
  • i wish they'd kept ortmeyer. he was my favorite player on the team for a few years but yeah, after that health scare i guess they were afraid of the risk
    MSG II 6/25/08
    its always tough with the fan faves like Jed.

anyways, just recieved this ;) :

Friday night's season finale of MSG's "Fans' Most Wanted: Rangers" gave Blueshirts faithful a chance to meet the all-time Rangers Dream Team.

After surveying fans online at MSG.com for weeks, the show unveiled their choice for the greatest starting six out of the roughly 900 players who have skated for the Rangers since 1926. An all-time head coach was also selected, and the choices showed equal reverence for the team's glory years of the 1960s and the 1990s run that included a Stanley Cup championship from 1994.

One position that epitomized this respect for two distinct eras was the goaltending spot. Hall of Famer Ed Giacomin, the team's No. 1 goalie from 1966 to 1974 was the top vote-getter, followed closely by Cup winner and team career victories leader Mike Richter. Voting was so close, in fact, that the Dream Team roster was expanded to two include goalies – Giacomin as the starter and Richter as the backup.

Others in the running for top goaltender honors included John Vanbiesbrouck, who placed fifth in the voting, Gump Worsley, who placed fourth, and Henrik Lundqvist, the third-place finisher behind Giacomin and Richter.

On defense, Brad Park and Brian Leetch were the clear favorites. Park, who would have won multiple Norris Trophies in the 1970s if it weren't for Bobby Orr, and Leetch, a two-time Norris winner during his 16 full seasons in New York, dominated the fan voting with Leetch placing first overall.

Finishing behind Park and Leetch were Harry Howell, who played more games with the Rangers than any other player, former captain Ron Greschner, who bridged Park's team of the 1970s with the resurgence of the early 1990s under Leetch.

At forward, fans selected two legends from the 1960s and 1970s -- Jean Ratelle, the center of the famous GAG Line, and Ratelle's right wing, Rod Gilbert, the team's all-time leading scorer. Rounding out the three forwards was The Captain, Mark Messier, who drove the Blueshirts to the Stanley Cup in 1994.

Gilbert, the only Rangers player to score 1,000 points in a Blueshirts uniform, drew the most votes, Messier the second-most, and Ratelle finished third in the voting – earning all three spots on the All-Time team.

Others on the ballot included were Bill Cook, Frank Boucher, Andy Bathgate, Vic Hadfield, Phil Esposito, Adam Graves, Wayne Gretzky, Jaromir Jagr,

The final choice for fans was the team's all-time greatest coach, and it went to the man who turned the Rangers into perennial Stanley Cup contenders in the late 1960s and early 1970s. Emile "The Cat" Francis, who had a local youth hockey award named in his honor this past season, received the most votes.

Francis, who also played goal for the Blueshirts in the 1950s, guided the Rangers to 11 straight playoff appearances after taking over as head coach in the mid-1960s.

The second-place finisher was current Rangers head coach Tom Renney, who led the team out of the 2004-05 lockout to three straight playoff appearances – and counting. Finishing third was Mike Keenan, whose lone year in New York included the Stanley Cup championship.
    yeah we'd all feel terrible should something have happened to Jedster

August 18, 2008
    Veteran Outlook: Sunny or Shanny
    The top remaining free agent, Mats Sundin, he of the neverending "will he or won't he?" saga, has put the Rangers at the top of his wish list, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, even though other teams are able to offer him tons more money. In order to accommodate Sundin under the salary cap, Brooks says Glen Sather will have to find a way to trade Michal Rozsival and replace him with a cheap NHL-capable defenseman. But Sundin's agent has denied portions of Brooks's report that have to do with his possible return to the Maple Leafs, according to the Toronto Star and TSN. See Blue Notes for more.

Meanwhile, another "name" veteran who has put the Rangers at the top of his list awaits to hear his fate. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported last week that the Blues want to make an offer to Brendan Shanahan, but Blueshirts Blog contacted Shanahan and was told that he is still holding off all suitors as long as he has a chance to return for another turn as a Ranger. Blueshirt Bulletin subscribers can join the discussion on these and other subjects at Blueshirt Bulletin+.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yeah we'd all feel terrible should something have happened to Jedster

August 18, 2008
    Veteran Outlook: Sunny or Shanny
    The top remaining free agent, Mats Sundin, he of the neverending "will he or won't he?" saga, has put the Rangers at the top of his wish list, according to Larry Brooks of the New York Post, even though other teams are able to offer him tons more money. In order to accommodate Sundin under the salary cap, Brooks says Glen Sather will have to find a way to trade Michal Rozsival and replace him with a cheap NHL-capable defenseman. But Sundin's agent has denied portions of Brooks's report that have to do with his possible return to the Maple Leafs, according to the Toronto Star and TSN. See Blue Notes for more.

Meanwhile, another "name" veteran who has put the Rangers at the top of his list awaits to hear his fate. The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reported last week that the Blues want to make an offer to Brendan Shanahan, but Blueshirts Blog contacted Shanahan and was told that he is still holding off all suitors as long as he has a chance to return for another turn as a Ranger. Blueshirt Bulletin subscribers can join the discussion on these and other subjects at Blueshirt Bulletin+.
    John Davidson huh? trying to stick it to Slats? :D I can def see that happening, Shanny going back and retiring in St. Louis.
  • the rangers just announced today they'll be retiring harry howell and andy bathgate's numbers in feb. i'm happy to hear this is happening because i know people have been wanting this for them for a while now

http://rangers.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=379928
    MSG II 6/25/08
  • sakic19sakic19 Posts: 10
    wow this has been around since 2005!!

now i know why they say rangers fans are the BEST IN THE WORLD

i almost shit myself when my man signed the offer sheet in 97
    sakic19 wrote:

Funny, since you're a Colorado fan we'll let it slide, but actually it's only the rangers fans who say rangers fans are the best in the world ;)
    i read graves night is feb 3rd? that should be fun for all u guys
  • Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    sakic19 wrote:

Good morning how are your markets :)
    Best name ever
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Good morning how are your markets :)
    Best name ever

my markets? they are good they sell everything even ice cream :)
    i love graves and all, but the first number 9 matters way more to me forobviuous reasons,......

;)

RANGERS RAISING NOS. 3 & 9
    By MARK EVERSON
    Posted: 3:04 am
    August 22, 2008

The New York Rangers will retire the No. 9s of Adam Graves and Andy Bathgate, and Harry Howell's No. 3 this season.

Graves will become the final member of the 1994 Stanley Cup winners to have his sweater hoisted to the Garden rafters, the team said, before the Rangers play host to the Thrashers Feb. 3.

Howell's No. 3 and Bathgate's No. 9 will join the No. 7 of Rod Gilbert, No. 1 of Ed Giacomin, No. 11 of Mark Messier, No. 2 of Brian Leetch and Graves' No. 9 on Feb. 22, when the Maple Leafs visit.

Graves helped the Rangers end their 54-year Cup drought, becoming the team's second 50-goal (52) scorer that season. He played 17 seasons with Detroit, Edmonton, the Rangers and Sharks, 329-287-616 in 1,152 games, winning two Cups (1990 Oilers) and the 2001 Masterton Trophy.

Bathgate was the first Ranger 40-goal scorer in 1958-59, winning the Hart Trophy as NHL MVP, and served as captain from 1961-64. Defenseman Howell, captain from 1955-57, holds the franchise record of 1,160 games played among his 1,411 in the NHL. He won the Norris Trophy in 1967. Bathgate and Howell were called up simultaneously in October, 1952, and played 12 seasons together.

Another former Ranger captain, Vic Hadfield, the team's first 50-goal scorer, heads the list of Ranger, NHL and sports figures set for the 11th annual golf tournament for Diamond Blackfan Anemia, Oct. 6, at Edgewood CC in Rivervale, NJ. Tickets are through 201-590-8916.

remember the old jokes about howell and his handbags ?
    platessmall.jpg
    http://blogs.msg.com/gameon/2008/08/21/bathgate-the-consummate-performer/

bathgate2_081208.jpg

Bathgate the Consummate Performer
    Class and artistry intertwined in a pirouette
    Posted on Thursday, August 21, 2008 at 6:48 PM

by: Stan Fischler
    Tagged as: Andy Bathgate , NHL , New York Rangers

The Rangers announced they will honor three greats in February: Adam Graves Night on Feb. 3; Andy Bathgate and Harry Howell Night on Feb. 22. Following the announcement, Stan Fischler offered these words on Bathgate:

Considered by some who saw him play as the best Rangers right wing of all time, Andy Bathgate reeked of class and artistry. He played the game cleanly, but was also an excellent fighter when the occasion demanded the rough stuff.

Two episodes, among many, stand out when one considers Bathgate's seasons as a Ranger.

In 1959, Bathgate fired the shot that ripped into Montreal goalie Jacques Plante's face, causing the netminder to don a mask for the first time in NHL annals. The second episode involved a critical penalty shot taken by Bathgate against Detroit goalie Hank Bassen that helped propel the Rangers into a 1962 playoff berth.

Bathgate was the consummate performer. He combined the art of stickhandling and shooting to near perfection. His shot, which he endlessly practiced, became so devastating that it was in a class with the mighty blasts of Bobby Hull and Bernie "Boom Boom" Geoffrion, both of whom were his contemporaries.

Bathgate wasn't quite as flashy as Hull nor blessed with All-Star teammates like Geoffrion, but he was good enough to win the Hart Trophy as the NHL's MVP in 1949. He was also voted to the First All-Star Team at right wing in 1959 and 1962 as well as the Second Team in 1958 and 1963.

The Bathgate bloc could detail a litany of beauteous plays executed by its hero. One that qualifies among his best was a one-on-one play: Bathgate vs. Chicago goaltender, Glenn Hall.

At the time, Hall, alias Mister Goalie, was the best netminder in the business. On this occasion, Bathgate received a pass directly in front of Hall and slightly to the right of the net. Rather than simply shoot the puck, Andy performed a 180-degree pirouette, appearing at the left side of the cage with the puck on his stick. Hall remained with Bathgate until Andy completely reversed the move with another pirouette, this time ending up precisely where he had begun. By this time, Hall's body was so contorted that he was literally unable to move, whereupon Bathgate deposited the rubber in the empty right corner for a goal. It was vintage Bathgate, and a play that few, if any, could duplicate.

I can vouch for that, because I was there when it happened. That move, among others, is why Bathgate is in the Hall of Fame
    platessmall.jpg
    sakic19 wrote:

it was almost a lock too! The papers had him on the back with his recently won cup overhead and headlines:
    BROADWAY JOE
    I'll never forget how happy I was and then...

and then we got Pat Lafontaine instead :(
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    stickboy wrote:
    it was almost a lock too! The papers had him on the back with his recently won cup overhead and headlines:
    BROADWAY JOE
    I'll never forget how happy I was and then...

and then we got Pat Lafontaine instead :(

i'll never forget that headline. i was on the beach with friends and some guy next to us was chilling in a chair reading the post, and when i saw that on the back i freaked. i begged the guy to borrow his paper for 5 minutes.

man, imagine if he ended up in the red/white/blue.
    i'll never forget that headline. i was on the beach with friends and some guy next to us was chilling in a chair reading the post, and when i saw that on the back i freaked. i begged the guy to borrow his paper for 5 minutes.

man, imagine if he ended up in the red/white/blue.
    if he had winded up with us back then we woulda never gone thru 7 yrs without playoffs. Guaranteed.
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    stickboy wrote:
    if he had winded up with us back then we woulda never gone thru 7 yrs without playoffs. Guaranteed.

at bad as those 7/8 years were, doesn't it seem so long ago?

with all the talk about leetch & richter in the US hockey hall, they keep bringing up, "what if richter was a good team for the final stretch of his career?" easily top 5 of all time.