B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Black DiamondBlack Diamond Posts: 25,107
    stickboy wrote:
    nah man, that pissed me off cause I never got to meet the guy..met every ranger since the 90's except him and people are telling me "DID U SEE HIM??" even at the merch stand I missed him and my boy schmoff comes back with a picture of him :confused:
    That sucks. The only Blueshirt I ever got to meet was Walt Podubny
    GoiMTvP.gif
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    That sucks. The only Blueshirt I ever got to meet was Walt Podubny
    what?? omg, that dude had jokes! lol

u mean you never got lucky enough to meet Lucien Deblois??? lol
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
    stickboy wrote:
    what?? omg, that dude had jokes! lol

u mean you never got lucky enough to meet Lucien Deblois??? lol
    Yeah I'm old and my dad was a big fan. When I got time I will tell you my embarrasing story with Gary Rissling and Moe Mantha
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Yeah I'm old and my dad was a big fan. When I got time I will tell you my embarrasing story with Gary Rissling and Moe Mantha
    nice. Im 35 so I guess I might be a bit old...not sure yet. Let you know when I hit 40sumthin :D

but yea me being born in toronto, pops was a leafs fan so I like the Sittlers, the Vaives, Poddubny, Salming, etc till we moved to NY right before Miracle on Ice in 1980 and became a diehard Rangers fan...Half the US team going to the NYR kinda helped that ;)
    stickboy wrote:
    nice. Im 35 so I guess I might be a bit old...not sure yet. Let you know when I hit 40sumthin :D

but yea me being born in toronto, pops was a leafs fan so I like the Sittlers, the Vaives, Poddubny, Salming, etc till we moved to NY right before Miracle on Ice in 1980 and became a diehard Rangers fan...Half the US team going to the NYR kinda helped that ;)

Best time in hockey. Nothing better than when the WHA teams joined and we had the Nords, Whalers, etc. Love watching the Stasny's and Michelle Goulet up in Quebec.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Best time in hockey. Nothing better than when the WHA teams joined and we had the Nords, Whalers, etc. Love watching the Stasny's and Michelle Goulet up in Quebec.
    def. Nords jerseys were one of my favs too...just picked up a Mcfarlane Sakic variant as a matter of fact with that nordiques jersey
    stickboy wrote:
    def. Nords jerseys were one of my favs too...just picked up a Mcfarlane Sakic variant as a matter of fact with that nordiques jersey
    Very cool!

I just remembered, the only Leaf game I caught in Toronto was against the Whalers when Gordie scored his 799th. Great place to see a game.
    GoiMTvP.gif
    Very cool!

I just remembered, the only Leaf game I caught in Toronto was against the Whalers when Gordie scored his 799th. Great place to see a game.
    damn! my only leafs memory is watching my dad catch a puck...THAT was cool...think he might still have it somewhere in greece with him
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    long time no post(s)

been in the hospital- they gave me some messed up m,edicine that freaked my body out- bigtime .

all is well now tho,...

i see the Isles signed a new coach- who the hell is this Gordon guy .? :confused:
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    long time no post(s)

been in the hospital- they gave me some messed up m,edicine that freaked my body out- bigtime .

all is well now tho,...

i see the Isles signed a new coach- who the hell is this Gordon guy .? :confused:

glad to see you're ok, gordon is a former goalie on the 1992 US Olympic team and coached in the AHL last year.
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    long time no post(s)

all is well now tho,...

shit dude I figured you were doing SPringsteen shows andshit
    was wondering about you...well hope youre good man :)
    this thread hasnt been the same without you
    The Nigel Dawes roster riddle has been laid to rest -- NYR.com has added him onto the online listing. So if any trade is in the works, there is no clue hidden between the lines there. Nikolai Zherdev got his #13 back too -- does that mean the Mats Sundin watch is officially off, or will the two players arm wrestle for the number should Sundin miraculously choose to turn down Vancouver's $10 million offer and opt instead to come to New York for the Rangers' remaining cap space, the league minimum salary? And Scott Gomez will not have to undergo another puck flip for his number, with Markus Naslund taking #91 instead of his customary #19.

Chewing Up the Scenery, Part 4: Antagonist as Protagonist
    Most of the Rangers' new acquistions have come to New York in search of a change of scenery they hope will re-invigorate their careers. But in one case, it's not so much a change of scenery, it's a change in casting. Sean Avery was the protagonist cast in the role of antagonist. Anticipating his departure, Glen Sather signed Aaron Voros to play the role of agitator. Only 15 months younger than Avery despite having played just part of one NHL season, Voros already has a reputation as a yapper, his hits have ignited line brawls, and he celebrates goals in a way that grates upon the opposition. And like Avery, he can score the odd goal, and he can take the odd detrimental penalty.

But is Voros, a 26-year-old rookie with the Wild last season, capable of filling Avery's role as a spark plug and super pest who can catalyze wins? Or will he prove to be little more than an energetic fourth liner predisposed to taking bad penalties and losing fights? Like Ryan Hollweg, sent to Toronto in a trade after his boarding penalty destroyed the Rangers in Game 3 of their second round playoff series last spring. The answer to that question will depend on how the Rangers decide to utilize Voros, whom they signed for three years at $1 million per year. And to hear Voros himself tell it, he expects to get Avery's role, not Hollweg's. "I saw what role New York wanted me to play, how interested they were in me," he said in explaining why he chose to sign here. "I thought it would be the best fit for me. I can work on the power play, play big-man minutes."

His experience in Minnesota demonstrates the difference in the way he can be deployed. When first called up last November because of injuries, he got significant playing time, often with Marian Gaborik and Pavol Demitra on the top line, and he responded by scoring 13 points on seven goals and six assists in his first 21 games, going +4 in the process. But when the injured players returned, he was moved to the fourth line and scored only one point and went -11 in his remaining 34 regular season games, and had only one point (a goal) in five playoff games. After scoring his first NHL goal in his fourth game in his home town of Vancouver on November 16th, he got ten minutes or more of ice time 16 times in 20 games through New Year's Eve, including ten in a row during which he scored half his points. He played fewer than eight minutes only once. But in 32 regular season games in 2008, he skated ten minutes only five more times and got less than eight minutes 19 times, including a dozen straight in February -- just over five minutes combined in the last two.

Ice time is a chicken and egg question -- Voros clearly earned more of it several games into his call-up with his spirited play, and he just as certainly earned dwindling minutes with his unproductive play after New Year's Day. On the other hand, if you're looking for goals from an energy player, especially a rookie with no history of scoring, you have to play him with offensive-minded players -- Voros scored when he skated on that kind of line, which naturally gets more minutes, and he stopped scoring when he got short shifts once or twice a period with other muckers. "At the NHL level, I am going to be an energy guy and hopefully I will be able to play with skill guys and be an asset to lines one to four," he explained. "Being physical will always be a part of my game, hitting everything that moves and doing those things that a lot of guys do not like to do. I like doing those jobs. And I love fighting. I don’t like getting hit, but I love fighting. I wish I was better at that, but I seem to be getting by OK. Being physical will always be the base of my game and scoring and playmaking will be a bonus."

Minnesota head coach Jacques Lemaire's reactions to Voros exemplify all that. He first took notice of him in training camp when the rangy (6'3-203) longshot winger put himself on the radar screen by playing tough against his own teammates. "The thing is, you don't want the guy to stop playing," Lemaire said. "You want the guy to play. But you don't want your older guys to get injured. That's the thing." When he was called up in November, Voros made his mark quickly. "He's happy," Lemaire said during his hot start. "He scores a goal, it’s like his first goal -- ever. Even when his linemates score a goal, it's like the first goal ever. He's great -- he's got life on the bench." But Lemaire was just as quick to point out what was going wrong for Voros shortly thereafter. "He's not as sharp as he was at the start," he said. "I've seen passes that don't get to him. I've seen passes that instead of being on his stick, it's in his skates behind him. I've seen that when he drives at the net, he doesn't get the puck as much as he was. He's not as good now battling for the puck as he was. It's all little things that he's just dropped a notch, and it makes a huge difference."

One Wild fan summed it all up: "When the Wild first called him up he played on pure energy but got a bit lazy as season went on and he virtually was a non-factor on offense last half of the year, being scratched a lot." Another fan agreed: "First half of the season he was looking really good. He was playing on the first line for a bit with Gabby and Demitra. And then he just kinda faded." And a third: "He couldn't fight, always took terrible penalties at the worst times. Everyone jumped on the wagon when he was scoring goals left and right when he got called up, then reality set in and the real Voros showed up." "He's awful on defense and is a terrible fighter," observed another.

But if the Rangers are looking for an Avery type, he may be the one. "He's a yapper and a card like Avery," a Wild fan noted. "There's something about his game that pisses off his opponents. He was a hard worker around the net and earned respect for it." Said another: "If anything, he is a pretty good agitator who can chip in an odd goal (usually a very very ugly one)." "He likes to yap and fight," added a third. "He's good at yapping, not so much on the fighting. He's a depth player, not a difference maker at all." "Decent fourth liner type," another fan wrote. "Has some grit to his game, will score some garbage goals -- he will score some of the ugliest goals you'll ever see in your life. Twice last year he scored from his ass." "He's the kind of guy that a team needs," chimed in another. "But please, don't ask him to do too much like we did. He'll crumble."

All other things aside, Voros was certainly popular in Minnesota, especially with female fans. He was nicknamed "Mo" because of his resemblance to Mike Modano. "While he might not have exactly been the most talented one on the team he sure was one of the most entertaining," one female fan noted. "I get jacked up," Voros said, which explains part of the reason he was so well liked. "I'm a pretty intense player. It's easy to play physical. It's easy to go hit a guy, or fight, or go crash the net when you have 18,568 for you." Voros will make it three Rangers with ties to the state of Alaska. "It's kind of unique, two guys who are from up there on a team with a guy who went to school there," the University of Alaska Fairbanks star said of Anchorage natives Scott Gomez and Brandon Dubinsky. "It should be pretty fun."

Voros was the Wild's nominee for the Bill Masterson Trophy for perseverence and dedication to hockey because of his achievements in reaching the NHL after surviving cancer in his knee during his college years. Numerous surgeries and treatments ultimately left him missing a quarter inch of his thigh bone, but the hard work he put in rehabilitating himself after his illness, getting his career back on track, and ultimately reaching the top league in the world reflects the ethic Ranger fans should expect from him. Whether he can reach higher levels will depend in part on him, and in part on what kind of chance the Rangers give him. Whether he can replace Sean Avery as a fan favorite off the ice and hated opponent on the ice will likewise depend on the Rangers giving him a shot at playing that role and Voros making the most of it.
    platessmall.jpg
    stickboy wrote:
    shit dude I figured you were doing SPringsteen shows andshit
    was wondering about you...well hope youre good man :)
    this thread hasnt been the same without you

hahaha

i still made it to all 3 of these shows- even with the clusterfuck on the tpke that final night. show didnt end till after 1am .
    I was sick as a dog in my chair most of the night that 3rd night !
    :eek:

3 aswesome shows,, each over 3 1/2 hours ( even at 58 the guy is amazing )
    and i know not all of you frequent the Uncle Bruce Springsteen thread, but theyve just announced the Bruce& The E Streeters will play this years Superbowl , along with Little Stevie renting out The Hard Rock Cafe in Tampa for the after partying.
    platessmall.jpg
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    bathy is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

nice article bro
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    bathy is back!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

nice article bro

be very scared of a guy thats survived cancer ---

obviously his ordeal made him a stronger man overall

both in his mind and his physical shape

( in resp[ect to Voros- I had not known abiout that until i came across this )
    platessmall.jpg
    VERY NICE!
    :D
    word

Hockey and footballs right around the corner..cant WAIT!
  • just start the season already!
    MSG II 6/25/08
    just start the season already!
    just a few wks b4 camps open up man!

lets GO RANGERS!!!!
    saw the newer Player Profile on MSG Chasnnel today ,
    : Player Profile on # 23 - Jeff Beukeboom,..
    & I have a few questions :

1 ) is hat coward Matt Johnson still playing in the NHL ?

2 ) Did he ever get his come-up-ins for that cheap shot from behgind that ended Beuks career ?

3 ) there should be a deeep capaign of our hatred and animosity for that scumbag boy! Seeing that cheapshot again got me very pissed off today,....

thoughts / comments ?
    platessmall.jpg
    August 14, 2008
    His Own Team Is Not Our Team
    He may be gone, but he just won't let himself be forgotten, no matter how many times we think we've written the last episode of "The Sean Avery Show". The Late Grate One can be seen all around town in a new ad campaign for The Gap, one that has the now-ironic tag line, "Believe in Your Own Team" -- yes, Sean Avery has made his own team, because that team was no longer going to be the Rangers, even though being a Ranger is what got him the visibility he needed to break into the fashion industry. [Thanks to reader Ken Hoffman for forwarding the ad image.]

seanaveryadgap.jpg
    platessmall.jpg
  • Bathgate66 wrote:
    August 14, 2008
    His Own Team Is Not Our Team
    He may be gone, but he just won't let himself be forgotten, no matter how many times we think we've written the last episode of "The Sean Avery Show". The Late Grate One can be seen all around town in a new ad campaign for The Gap, one that has the now-ironic tag line, "Believe in Your Own Team" -- yes, Sean Avery has made his own team, because that team was no longer going to be the Rangers, even though being a Ranger is what got him the visibility he needed to break into the fashion industry. [Thanks to reader Ken Hoffman for forwarding the ad image.]

seanaveryadgap.jpg

between his comments and things like this i think we'll be hearing from avery for years to come. and i don't think thats a good thing
    MSG II 6/25/08
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    saw the newer Player Profile on MSG Chasnnel today ,
    : Player Profile on # 23 - Jeff Beukeboom,..
    & I have a few questions :

1 ) is that coward Matt Johnson still playing in the NHL ?

2 ) Did he ever get his come-up-ins for that cheap shot from behgind that ended Beuks career ?

3 ) there should be a deeep capaign of our hatred and animosity for that scumbag boy! Seeing that cheapshot again got me very pissed off today,....

thoughts / comments ?

has anyone seen this yet ?
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    yea def sickening bro! :mad:

as far as Avery I have a feeling he's gonna start making us hate him just out of spite for the whole Sather ordeal.
    AND Im just throwing this out there but even I as much as I loved having him on our team and all that something tells me there was more to him than we knew in the locker room..like another personality...just saying
    Lets hope Voros can be a decent replacement or we have a good enough yr that we can forget about it and move on
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    Bathgate66 wrote:

haven't seen it yet but ill be on the lookout
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:

caught it the other day.

some awesome clips of beuke throwing his body around and beating up everyone in the league.

that cheap shot was sickening... suprised it doesn't get the negative attention it deserves.
  • stickboy wrote:

as far as Avery I have a feeling he's gonna start making us hate him just out of spite for the whole Sather ordeal.
    AND Im just throwing this out there but even I as much as I loved having him on our team and all that something tells me there was more to him than we knew in the locker room..like another personality...just saying
    Lets hope Voros can be a decent replacement or we have a good enough yr that we can forget about it and move on

i have the same feeling. avery must've been causing some sort of problem in the locker room or else sather would've given up his left nut to resign a player who was as important to the team as him
    MSG II 6/25/08
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    Lol, yeah the 'well placed source' is the New York Post. You're quite late on that one J.
    http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=246683&lid=sublink011&lpos=headlines_main
    What's left on your cap anyway, a million?