B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    i think in the last 2 or 3 seasons , Avery is in the top 3 or 4 players who draw penaltties .
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Posted: Apr 14, 2008 3:43 pm Post subject:

http://msn.foxsports.com/nhl/story/8032786/Avery-embarrassed-himself,-team-with-bad-sportsmanship-

The directive will probably go out to the on-ice officials today.

The coaches and general managers will be informed, and they'll pass the message along to the players.

Antics like those perpetrated by Sean Avery on Sunday night will no longer be tolerated.

Avery was playing for his New York Rangers against the New Jersey Devils when he decided to screen Devils goaltender Martin Brodeur. So far, so good.

But Avery didn't do it in the accepted fashion of merely standing in front of Brodeur while he watched the play. Instead, he turned his back to the play, waved his stick back and forth in front of Brodeur's face and delivered his usual trash talk.

Even Avery's teammate, Chris Drury, took exception to the performance and came over to try to budge him. But as anyone familiar with Avery might expect, it did no good.

In the hockey community, the reaction was almost totally negative. Commentators on the two networks that were showing the game — Versus and TSN — were strongly opposed. CBC was showing the Boston-Montreal game, but between periods, the network's analysts chimed in with their condemnation.

The trash talking is bad enough. Certainly it exists in hockey, but not to the level that it exists in other sports. After all, it's one thing to yap at another basketball player or a football player. It's almost part of the game.

Do it in hockey and you'll probably get punched. That fact does a lot to discourage the practice.

And whereas hockey's trash talking tends to relate to a player's skills — or lack thereof — Avery's trash talking gets highly personal. In this case, it usually relates to Brodeur's 2003 divorce.

Brodeur himself shrugs it off. "I heard everything throughout the 2003 playoffs," he told the Bergen Record last week.

"It's funny, the lack of new material. I told him, �It has been five years. Find something else.'

"

But usually, Brodeur says nothing. "If it would be in French, I would be able to come up with a quick answer," he said. "But in English, I've got to think about it, and then by the time I put it into English, he's gone."

But on Sunday, Avery didn't go. And so you can figure what's going to happen next. Even though the playoffs have been exciting and have featured some magnificent plays, it is Avery's performance that is going to get the attention on the highlight shows.

Hockey needs a positive presentation these days. It has to shed the circus image that people like Avery give it.

Even though no penalty was called on Avery on Sunday, the league does have a weapon at its disposal. The rule book gives referees the discretion to assess a 10-minute misconduct for "incitement."

In the universally accepted code of hockey conduct, any hassling of a goaltender merits a quick response. So there is nothing more likely to "incite" a team than to stand on the edge of a crease waving a stick across the goalie's line of vision.

Therefore, the practice has to be stopped. But there won't be a rule change, just a rule interpretation.

This is not Avery's first achievement in this regard. He's at least partly responsible for the fact that in these playoffs, for the first time, the stand-by referee has the duty of sitting in the penalty box to watch the pregame warmup.

In the past, the referees have occasionally watched the warmup from a location of their choice — a hallway, a vacant seat or the Zamboni entrance. But when the fun began, their view was often blocked — if indeed they were there. Not every stand-by referee got to the building in time for the warmup.

But now, the ref must be in the penalty box so that if a problem erupts, he'll have an unobstructed view and will be close enough to warn off the potential combatants.

The pregame tussle that Avery incited with Jason Blake and Darcy Tucker of the Toronto Maple Leafs earlier this season had a lot to do with the issuing of this directive.

And when you get right down to it, despite embarrassing his team and his sport, what good did Avery do on Sunday night?

The Rangers lost 4-3 in overtime, their first loss of the series.
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    i think in the last 2 or 3 seasons , Avery is in the top 3 or 4 players who draw penaltties .

And I'm pretty sure he's been the top 3 in PIM on his team as well.....
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • I thought it was hysterical
    2003: Uniondale, MSG x2 | 2004: Reading | 2005: Gorge, Vancouver, Philly | 2006: East Rutherford x2, Gorge x2, Camden 1, Hartford | 2008: MSG x2, VA Beach | 2009: Philly x3 | 2010: MSG x2, Bristow | 2011: Alpine Valley x2 | 2012: MIA Philly | 2013: Wrigley, Charlottesville, Brooklyn 2 | 2014: Milan, Amsterdam 1 | 2016: MSG x2, Fenway x2, Wrigley 2 | 2018: Rome, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 2 | 2021: Sea Hear Now | 2022: San Diego, LA x2, MSG, Camden, Nashville, St. Louis, Denver | 2023: St. Paul 1, Chicago x2, Fort Worth x2, Austin 2 | 2024: Las Vegas 1, Seattle x2, Indy, MSG x2, Philly x2, Baltimore
    I thought it was hysterical

full court defense

lol

i chuckled as well
    platessmall.jpg
    chromiam wrote:
    And I'm pretty sure he's been the top 3 in PIM on his team as well.....

on his team?
    I dunno bout that,

but i was talking top 3 or 4 in the league in drawn penalties .
    platessmall.jpg
  • Phantom PainPhantom Pain Posts: 9,876
    I thought it was hysterical

I have never seen anything like that in my life

Hexy would have given him a nice 2 hander

;)
    My drinking team has a hockey problem

The ONLY thing better than a glass of beer is tea with Miss McGill

A protuberance of flesh above the waistband of a tight pair of trousers
    UPDATE: Just checked the tape after being alerted by Mitch Beck (thanks, Mitch), and one thing about the Sean Avery incident that has been completely overlooked: Mr. Brodeur clearly and intentionally whacked Avery in the you-know-what with his stick. While everyone around the hockey world debates the legality and sportsmanship of Avery's antics, with Gary Bettman even weighing in on it, Brodeur committed an inexcusable act that is without question a major penalty and the height of bad sportsmanship. Wasn't called, though. Instead, the NHL has issued a new ruling to prohibit Avery from reprising his act -- see Blue Notes and Rangers Report for full details. Nothing like making up new rules on the fly against one team while ignoring longstanding ones committed by the other team.

The Avery Rule
    April
    14 As expected, the NHL acted swiftly to put an end to Sean Avery’s clever shenanigans in Game 3 (Here’s the YouTube clip).

It’s like the NFL ruling that you can’t fumble forward into the end zone after a playoff touchdown happened that way. Avery found a loophole, used it, and it was quickly closed.

Now he, or anybody else who tries it, will get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for faceguarding a goalie as Avery did to Martin Brodeur in Game 3.

Here’s the press release just issued by the NHL:

National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 – Unsportsmanlike Conduct: “An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender’s face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play.”

So there you have it. We saw it once. We probably won’t ever see it again.
    platessmall.jpg
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    UPDATE: Just checked the tape after being alerted by Mitch Beck (thanks, Mitch), and one thing about the Sean Avery incident that has been completely overlooked: Mr. Brodeur clearly and intentionally whacked Avery in the you-know-what with his stick. While everyone around the hockey world debates the legality and sportsmanship of Avery's antics, with Gary Bettman even weighing in on it, Brodeur committed an inexcusable act that is without question a major penalty and the height of bad sportsmanship. Wasn't called, though. Instead, the NHL has issued a new ruling to prohibit Avery from reprising his act -- see Blue Notes and Rangers Report for full details. Nothing like making up new rules on the fly against one team while ignoring longstanding ones committed by the other team.

The Avery Rule
    April
    14 As expected, the NHL acted swiftly to put an end to Sean Avery’s clever shenanigans in Game 3 (Here’s the YouTube clip).

It’s like the NFL ruling that you can’t fumble forward into the end zone after a playoff touchdown happened that way. Avery found a loophole, used it, and it was quickly closed.

Now he, or anybody else who tries it, will get an unsportsmanlike conduct penalty for faceguarding a goalie as Avery did to Martin Brodeur in Game 3.

Here’s the press release just issued by the NHL:

National Hockey League Senior Executive Vice President and Director of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell today issued the following advisory on the interpretation of Rule 75 – Unsportsmanlike Conduct: “An unsportsmanlike conduct minor penalty (Rule 75) will be interpreted and applied, effective immediately, to a situation when an offensive player positions himself facing the opposition goaltender and engages in actions such as waving his arms or stick in front of the goaltender’s face, for the purpose of improperly interfering with and/or distracting the goaltender as opposed to positioning himself to try to make a play.”

So there you have it. We saw it once. We probably won’t ever see it again.
    You think Brodeur's nad-tap was bad, you should have seen the cleaving Fleury gave to Lapointe in game one of that series...
  • SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    im never ashamed or embarrassed to wear the red white and blue,
    not even this morning after a Loss.
    Avery has a role-
    he plays it well
    he has a goal-a-game in these playoffs.
    I can get past his agitory antics ,
    definitely wouldnt peel away my Rangers jersey for the sake of 1 loss, and i dont feel any loss of dignity either.
    If ( and when ) we get a stranglehhold on them Wednesday , we'll feel alot better.
    The Devils cant cope, and they cant beat us in a 7 game run first to 4 .

Most of the time, I support Avery and the stupid shit that he does because he is a pretty good player, he is entertaining, he brings emotion into meaningless games and he is usually fun to watch. That crap that he pulled was by far the lowest thing that he has ever done. Just because there is no rule that explicity prohibits shit like that (even though it may fall under the confines of unsportsmanlike conduct) doesn't mean that he and the Rangers are currently the laughing stock of hockey.

edit: I guess that there now is a rule that explicity prohibits shit like this.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Drowned OutDrowned Out Posts: 6,056
    I thought it was hilarious, in a 'holy fuck, Avery is complete fucking idiot" kinda way. Drury coming over to tell him to stop was comedic gold.

If the Flyers can take out the Caps, and the Rangers get thru this round....they get the Pens next...we'll see how much of that shit Avery pulls if he has to deal with Georgie on a daily basis.
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    now they made a new rule just for him lol
    now they made a new rule just for him lol
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    how in the world did brodeur not upchuck avery in the nuts while he was waving his stick is beyond me.
    I love to turn you on
    how in the world did brodeur not upchuck avery in the nuts while he was waving his stick is beyond me.

look again stevie...he did and of course he gets away with it like everything else he does ...especially his diving
    Drury coming over to tell him to stop was comedic gold.

Drury came over to Avery to warn him about his stick- to keep it low to avoid a high sticking penalty.
    platessmall.jpg
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    look again stevie...he did and of course he gets away with it like everything else he does ...especially his diving
    haha, funny you should mention that
    check out the top 10 sean avery moments on the right side of TSN's page. I think the dive is #2, and it is quite funny to watch, hehe
    oh my bad, it's #3, and the second dive they show is the good one

Just checked the tape after being alerted by Mitch Beck (thanks, Mitch), and one thing about the Sean Avery incident that has been completely overlooked: Mr. Brodeur clearly and intentionally whacked Avery in the you-know-what with his stick. While everyone around the hockey world debates the legality and sportsmanship of Avery's antics, with Gary Bettman even weighing in on it, Brodeur committed an inexcusable act that is without question a major penalty and the height of bad sportsmanship. Wasn't called, though. Instead, the NHL has issued a new ruling to prohibit Avery from reprising his act -- see Blue Notes and Rangers Report for full details. Nothing like making up new rules on the fly against one team while ignoring longstanding ones committed by the other team.

You see something new at every hockey game. Last night, there were a lot of interesting things to see and hear. Sean Avery putting the full court press on Martin Brodeur was definitely a first, as Brodeur said afterwards. Seeing Chris Drury skate over to Avery while he was going through his antics, even as the Rangers' five on three power play was in progress, warning him to keep his stick down, was another first. Adding injury to insult, Avery scored the power play goal the next time the Rangers came down on Brodeur. The referee spoke to Avery during the next play stoppage, and then he went to talk to Devil coach Brent Sutter -- Sutter said later that he was told that Avery would be penalized if he did it again.

Twice during the game, Devils ran Rangers after they retreated for icing touch ups. Neither time was the offending Devil sanctioned for his act. The first time, after the predictable scuffle that ensued when Dainius Zubrus ran Paul Mara, mostly missing and then coming up swinging at Mara, Zubrus skated straight to the penalty box, entered it, and took a seat. The referee skated over and informed Zubrus that he was not going to be penalized. Then there was David Clarkson coming in on Fedor Tyutin (not on an icing) -- Tyutin ducked, Clarkson went into the boards hard, and Tyutin emerged still in control of the puck. Ryan Callahan hit the boards similarly, but in that case the defender he was about to check fell down.

Avery was whacked twice while he was in Brodeur's face, once by Brodeur and once by a defenseman. Callahan was blatantly tripped by White when he slammed into Brodeur late in the game. Brandon Dubinsky was crosschecked four times before he scored his second goal. Michael Rozsival was slammed into the boards by Colin White's stick, cutting his lip. And he was clearly interfered with on the overtime winner, Jay Pandolfo wrapping him up before he could get to the puck. On the flip side, Avery was sent off when Brodeur tripped him up in the first period, Rozsival received a high sticking minor despite his stick never coming up on Zach Parise because it was busy stealing the puck from him, and Martin Straka was penalized for a perfectly legal check late in the third period. Parise drew a cross-checking penalty early in the game -- seconds after he got himself in position by committing a cross-check that went uncalled.

So it is any wonder that the Rangers and Devils react in diametrically opposite manners to the way the game is called against them? The Rangers talk about having to be more disciplined and taking fewer penalties -- how they can tell what is a penalty and what isn't is beyond this reporter, but that is nevertheless their goal. The Devils on the other hand go ballistic on those rare occasions like the final moments of Game 2 when a couple of calls seemingly go against them. Jamie Langenbrunner was clearly guilty of interference off every face-off, including one which led directly to a goal, so when he was finally flagged for it, no wonder he and his team went nuts -- they were supposed to be allowed to get away with it.

Give the Rangers credit for playing through the inconsistent officiating. These three games might have been three straight blow-outs had the referees not evened things out for the Devils. If not for some bad breaks, especially in overtime, they may very well be up 3-0 even under these circumstances. They didn't lose because of the officiating -- the deflections were the reason, as well as several extended stretches of lackluster effort, including overtime, and they know that. But from a fan's perspective, this game is so frustrating to enjoy when the refs ruin things with their inscrutable decisions. Sure, it affects every team -- but thirty wrongs don't make it right.
    platessmall.jpg
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    Oh I know he hit him low, I just can't imagine restraining myself to not send him looking for his nuts around the blue line after doing that though. Believe me I thought it was hilarious, but in that position I would have whacked him as hard as I could.
    I love to turn you on
  • PatrickBatemanPatrickBateman Posts: 2,243
    that was one of the most WTF? moments I have ever witnessed watching hockey. Funny as hell
    If a man speaks in a forest and there is no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
    The guy is a character

remember when he was out in LA- he stopped at the side of ther net and did pushups on the ice after he scored.

the guy does some comical stufff- no matter on your team or not.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    The guy is a character

remember when he was out in LA- he stopped at the side of ther net and did pushups on the ice after he scored.

the guy does some comical stufff- no matter on your team or not.
    That is on the link I posted as well.
    platessmall.jpg
  • TowsertunesTowsertunes Posts: 187
    Avery is a pest no doubt.We had him in Detroit for a couple of seasons.
    apparently he would call Yzerman on his cell at all hours of the day and night.
    Still,puts the the puck in the net.
    15 goals in 57 games this year.
    Tied for the lead in playoff goals this year-go figure.
    "they don't give a shit Keith Moon is dead,
    is that exactly what I thought I read?"

How I choose to feel,...Is how I am.
  • Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."

it took the league 14 fricking hours to make a new rule for marty
  • NY PJ1 wrote:
    it took the league 14 fricking hours to make a new rule for marty

not a surprise, the rules and interpretations as to what are penalties change on a nightly basis.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • chromiamchromiam Posts: 4,114
    not a surprise, the rules and interpretations as to what are penalties change on a nightly basis.

How true... ohh how very true. Did you know that you can deflect a puck in with a high stick now, as long as its close to the goaltender's glove... :D
    This is your notice that there is a problem with your signature. Please remove it.

Admin

Social awareness does not equal political activism!

5/23/2011- An utter embarrassment... ticketing failures too many to list.
  • chromiam wrote:
    How true... ohh how very true. Did you know that you can deflect a puck in with a high stick now, as long as its close to the goaltender's glove... :D

no way. i thought that was illegal last week....
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024