B R O A D W A Y***B L U E S H I R T S

Comments

• xavier mcdanielxavier mcdaniel Posts: 9,234
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    this is the typical jerk sather im used to

so stupid

sather's a weird guy it seems. when he was with edmonton, he always complained about the teams that spent the money. and as soon as he comes to the rangers, he starts throwing around other people's money..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    we avoided arbitration w/ hossa

1 year 850,000
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    how the F is this going to make avery feel.

i thought he was a welcomed , integral part of the teams success last season.

this arbitration BS sucks- brings the 2 sitting across the table further and further apart.

give the sparkplug a respectable raise and lets carry on already,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Bathgate66 wrote:

this arbitration BS sucks- brings the 2 sitting across the table further and further apart.

What do you need Avery for this year. The went out and signed enough guys in the off season to let Avery slide to third or fourth line. And after round one on the playoffs when he disappeared and hadn't been heard of since this story. I think you can part with him.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    even flow? wrote:
    What do you need Avery for this year. The went out and signed enough guys in the off season to let Avery slide to third or fourth line. And after round one on the playoffs when he disappeared and hadn't been heard of since this story. I think you can part with him.

regardless of anything he is here for at least 1 more year
  • HawkshoreHawkshore Posts: 2,153
    Bathgate66 wrote:

Arbitration is UGULY at best and should always be avoided if possible....it is difficult for an athlete who takes pride in their personal performance to be belittled by the very team they play for :eek: particularly when you consider the kind of temperament you are talking about with a Sean Avery.....I'm sure this will not be forgotten on his part!!!....Maybe the old Sean Avery rears its ugly head again???

Update on Rangers cap situation before Hossa and Avery contracts $1.001 Mil of cap room left :eek: Perhaps some bargains to be had???

http://www.nhlnumbers.com/nyr.html
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    even flow? wrote:
    What do you need Avery for this year.
    Youre the only one who used the word " need "
    even flow? wrote:
    The went out and signed enough guys in the off season to let Avery slide to third or fourth line.
    do you really think we meant putting avery on the 1st line ? or even the 2nd ? really ? ? :confused:

even flow? wrote:
    And after round one on the playoffs when he disappeared and hadn't been heard of since this story.
    well, he's probably hanging out with his girlfirend, elisha cuthbert- i mean- they did get eliminated after 2 rounds.

even flow? wrote:
    I think you can part with him.
    as a toronto laffs fan , im so glad you think we can part with him. And i know you also love this picture of avery giving it to your team and to your " agitator " :rolleyes: .

the record of the team turned around drastically since his arrival, he added a spark that was absent beforehand and he lifted up the entire team . the guy can also score- even off the gklass and down the entire length of the rnk on a deflection. He is a skating intangible, leaning towards the positive side this past season.
    platessmall.jpg
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Arbitration is UGULY at best and should always be avoided if possible....it is difficult for an athlete who takes pride in their personal performance to be belittled by the very team they play for :eek: particularly when you consider the kind of temperament you are talking about with a Sean Avery.....I'm sure this will not be forgotten on his part!!!....Maybe the old Sean Avery rears its ugly head again???

Update on Rangers cap situation before Hossa and Avery contracts $1.001 Mil of cap room left :eek: Perhaps some bargains to be had???

theyre trying to dump malik also, i think- maybe to heartford.
    there may also be a resurgence of darius kasparaitis for basically peanuts.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bulletin

July 31, 2007
    Avery Shocked -- Shocked!

Sean Avery is shocked -- shocked! -- that Glen Sather is saying bad things about him in an arbitration hearing. And Larry Brooks of the New York Post, who is reporting everything that Avery is telling him about the process, is equally shocked that the Rangers would employ such tactics with a player as important as Avery was to their late season playoff run. We're not shocked at any of this -- this is the route Avery and his agent chose and that's how it plays out in the best of cases, let alone with the notoriously adversarial Sather.

Yesterday, in an article headlined "Slats Not Fair!" Avery and Brooks plucked out the phrase "a reasonably effective player as well as a detriment to the team" from the Rangers' arbitration brief, in which a case was made for paying Avery $1.3 million (obviously a lowball starting point) rather than the $2.6 he asked for (obviously too much for a player like him). Today, they give us a whole paragraph in an article titled "Rangers Rip Avery" that excoriates Sather's tactics: "Avery is not a mature player. He plays, at times, like an individual rather than a member of a team. This is sometimes referred to as an inability to see the ice, and in Avery's case this seems to fit with his overall approach to the game."

Oh, the humanity! From the brief, we get one phrase taken out of context, half of which is even complimentary to Avery (albeit in muted tones), that makes it seem as if the Rangers are calling Avery a "detriment to the team." But what came after that? I could say that "fuel-efficient cars cause air pollution" and technically be correct, but if I leave out the fact that they cause less pollution than gas guzzlers, I haven't told the whole story, and you'd laugh at me for making such an absurd claim. From the Post article, we glean that the Rangers were actually arguing that while being an effective player, Avery's penalties were a detriment to the team, hardly an arguable point in general and hardly a mortal insult to the player.

The paragraph from today's article is a lot more pointed. Still, questioning Avery's maturity as a player and his inability to see the ice, in a process that everyone knows is adversarial by nature (as Brooks states right up front), is hardly cause for tearing up your season tickets for next year. The burden of proof is still upon Avery to show that he has in fact matured as a player and (even though the Rangers do not apear to have brought this up) a person, despite all he did last season. He still has to demonstrate that he will be a team-first player all the time and for all time, which he clearly has not been in the past. That he leaked this to the press and expressed his outrage over the comments can easily be viewed as demonstration of his lack of maturity, except that one has to give him the same latitude as Sather gets for being part of an adversarial process.

Avery knows full well what is happening here, and he knows full well what he is doing by taking this story to the Post as opposed to, say, the New York Times. He knows that he filed for arbitration after turning away pretty quickly from the negotiation process for a long-term deal, with his agent making explicit threats of playing out a one-year contract and testing the free agent waters. That's his pregrogative, of course. But he (or at least his agent) knows full well how Sather reacts to such actions and threats. And it precludes him from being so disingenuously outraged at relatively mild statements about him by the team as it is trying to get him under contract at a reasonable salary -- except in a paper that is part of a news organization for which "fair and balanced reporting" is little more than a slogan.

Avery was about 20% better statistically last season compared to the season before. But he is asking for more than 120% of a raise. The Rangers are offering a little less than 20% (we don't know what Avery or Sather discussed in terms of a multi-year contract). He surely deserves more than that for his intangible contributions to the team's playoff run, but there remains legitimate skepticism about his ability to do that in the long run. But he cannot possibly believe that he as a player is in the $2.6 million range. There are approximately 175 NHL players making that much or more, an average of six per team. That covers your three best forwards, your two best defensemen, your goalie, and one other player. Fewer than fifty of those players got their contracts as Group 2 RFAs, like Avery. Five were defensemen, five were goalies (including Henrik Lundqvist), and the rest were almost all high scoring forwards with names like Crosby, Gaborik, Lecavalier, and the like (a small handful are successful longtime two-way forwards).

The Rangers already have eight players making more than that -- second most in the league along with several other teams behind Philadelphia's nine. The salary cap is a zero-sum game -- the more one player gets, the less another gets. Petr Prucha chose to negotiate, said the money was not important, and he got a good deal. Lundqvist chose to negotiate, took a one-year deal to help keep the Rangers under the cap, and still got a very good deal with the promise of more to come. Brendan Shanahan, Avery's mentor, will make every penny of his incentive-laden contract, but there is a little risk there, and he chose to take it to help the Rangers manage their cap situation, without ever fielding any competing offers as a free agent. The guys who played it Sather's way all made out handsomely.

Avery has the opportunity to earn better pay than most players of his kind, better than all players with his checkered past. He chose to turn that down in a long-term deal. He chose to take the Rangers to arbitration and ask for far more than he knows they can pay him and far more than players in his situation command, threatening to play out the year and walk away. He forced them to go into the hearing and make a case for paying him less than he thinks he deserves. And on top of all that, no matter what the outcome, considering how well the Rangers are positioned going into this coming season, he has the opportunity to prove himself and reap the rewards a year from now. Don't weep for Sean Avery because of a couple of incendiary articles that take reasonable statements out of context and blow them out of all proportion. He's like a cat -- he'll land on his feet.

More on Avery from Newsday and Rangers Report. In other Ranger news, defenseman Hannu Pikkarainen, under contract with the Rangers, has opted to return to Finland this season rather than play in Hartford. The free agent signee missed most of last season with a shoulder injury sustained at the Traverse City Prospects Tournament last September. A number of former Rangers will also be playing in Europe next season, most of them little more than footnotes or curiosities in the Rangers' all-time register, courtesy of Sather's desperate pre-lockout search for anyone who could skate with a puck -- most notably Jamie Lundmark, who will play in Russia after failing as top ten Ranger draftee (see Hockey Rodent's rant). Also going back to his native Finland is Jussi Markkanen. Also going to Russia are Andreas Johansson and Jamie McLennan. Off to Sweden are Richard Lintner and Burke Henry, Josh Green will play in Austria, and Mike Green and Rory Rawlyk will skate in Germany. Pierre Dorion leaves the Rangers' scouting staff to follow Tim Murray to Ottawa, according to the Sun.
    platessmall.jpg
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    theyre trying to dump malik also, i think- maybe to heartford.
    there may also be a resurgence of darius kasparaitis for basically peanuts.

Bath check the link the cap hit on Kasper is $2.989 Mil.....I would be surprised he if he would take cut over that.......and to send Malik to Hartford the Rangers are going to have to put him on waivers first.....consequently losing him for nothing in return.....I think the more likely scenario is as I alluded to in my previous post Sather or Slats as we call him in these parts making some deals.

One things for sure the Rangers are comming out looking pretty sweet having the Caps pick up over $3.4Mil of Jagers $8.4Mil a year contract!!!
    Van 92.07.21 / Van 98.07.19 / Sea 98.07.22 / Tor 98.08.22 / Sea 00.11.06 / Van 03.05.30/ Van 05.09.02/ Gorge 06.07.22 & 23 / EV Van 08.04.02 / Tor 09.08.21 / Sea 09.09.21 & 22 / Van 09.09.25 / Van 11.09.25 / Van 13.12.04 / Pem 16.07.17 / Sea 18.08.10
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Bath check the link the cap hit on Kasper is $2.989 Mil.....I would be surprised he if he would take cut over that.......and to send Malik to Hartford the Rangers are going to have to put him on waivers first.....consequently losing him for nothing in return.....I think the more likely scenario is as I alluded to in my previous post Sather or Slats as we call him in these parts making some deals.

One things for sure the Rangers are comming out looking pretty sweet having the Caps pick up over $3.4Mil of Jagers $8.4Mil a year contract!!!

i guess i was just plain out wrong about darius
    and yes i remembered that about the waivers part as soon as i read it,..

hey supposedly the guy ( kaspar ) lost 20 lbs and is in tip top shape, so much that even slats was impressed / surprised.

that chart is awesome

thanks
    platessmall.jpg
    avery awarded 1.9 mil
  • even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    avery awarded 1.9 mil

:eek:

Andy baby, I live in Laugh land, but I sure like to see them lose. Especially to the Wings. ;)

And the pick of Grimace getting tagged by Avery was great.
    You've changed your place in this world!
    yey

finally

it shouldnt have ever come to this,

but be it as it may,

now the team is out of limbo and so now all we wait for is camp to open.
    platessmall.jpg
    even flow? wrote:
    :eek:

Andy baby, I live in Laugh land, but I sure like to see them lose. Especially to the Wings. ;)

And the pick of Grimace getting tagged by Avery was great.

oh thats right- the torontonian wings fan.
    hey at least theyre another original six.
    :)

and yeah- i liked that pic also- but ive never heard darcy called the grimace- kinda sounds a little like malik. :eek:
    platessmall.jpg
    August 01, 2007
    Why Bother?
    Sean Avery got exactly what everyone knew he would get as a result of salary arbitration -- $1.9 million for next season. The Rangers have already announced that Avery has been signed, so obviously they accepted the ruling -- no surprise there either. As is almost every case, the arbitrator just about split the difference between Avery's asking price of $2.6 million and the Rangers' offer of $1.3. That he swung $50,000 toward the Rangers' side of the midway point could be construed as a minor win for the team, but it would be a pyrrhic victory if Avery remains alienated by the highly adversarial process. Why bother putting players and teams through a process that puts them at each other's throats this way when the result is always so predictable? Why not get the tenders in, split the difference, and go to a hearing only if a party is unsatisfied with that initial result?

Along with Marcel Hossa's signing yesterday, the Rangers' NHL roster is now set for training camp, although rumors persist of trades for a front line defenseman. Aside from those rumors, which consistently emanate from the most unreliable of sources, the big questions that remain are: How are the Rangers going to line up up front, especially on the third line, since the top six forwards are set, and on the power play? Who will be the odd man or two out from the glut of defensemen currently under contract? And are the Rangers content with Steve Valiquette as Henrik Lundqvist's back-up in net?

The Rangers' press releases on the signings of Avery and Hossa can be found here and here. Rangers Report's postings are here and here. The AP/CP reports, which are propagated across all the national hockey sites, can be found here and here. Blue Notes has an assessment of where the Rangers stand as of now. The Sun had Kevin Greenstein's take on the Avery melodrama from before the award was announced. Check back later or tomorrow for a re-assessment of the team's salary cap position now that everyone is under contract.

from the sun:
    With the botched handling of Avery's arbitration hearing, the team's locker room chemistry is now in serious danger. As a result, what once looked to be an incredibly successful off-season for the Blueshirts has now been marred with some very real concerns.

platessmall.jpg
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    i would MUCH rather weekes backing up henrik than valiquette.
    i would MUCH rather weekes backing up henrik than valiquette.

true,

but as a result of our getting gomez, the devils stole weekes away from us.
    so we either settle for Vali
    bring up Montoya
    or try to trade/ sign a still unsigned veteran backup goalminder.
    platessmall.jpg
    Oops somebody over the cap!!!

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and speak on behalf of Dave Nonnis Canucks GM and offer a solution to your dire problem.....say we take Staal and Hossa for a second and third round pick? :)
    Hawkshore wrote:
    Oops somebody over the cap!!!

Now I'm going to go out on a limb here and speak on behalf of Dave Nonnis Canucks GM and offer a solution to your dire problem.....say we take Staal and Hossa for a second and third round pick? :)

I'm not positive , but i think they can take the $ 1,680.00 ammount over , and deduct it from next seasons cap.
    oh and keep dreamin' on staal and hossa.
    hossa saved some guys life this past summer hes a hero.
    platessmall.jpg
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Now I can get my Avery jersey. Although, it would suck if they don't resign him next year.
  • moster78moster78 Posts: 1,591
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    I'm not positive , but i think they can take the $ 1,680.00 ammount over , and deduct it from next seasons cap.
    oh and keep dreamin' on staal and hossa.
    hossa saved some guys life this past summer hes a hero.

One of those articles, or something I read said that can stay 1.5 to 2 million over the cap until the season starts.
    My understanding is you can go over the cap to pay performance bonus earned in the year up to a maximum of $2.5Mil, this amount is then deducted from your available cap space the following year. With Shanny scheduled to make $2.8Mil in performance bonuses this year that will create some additional wiggle room for the Rangers. That said keep in mind $1.7MIL The Rangers are over the cap is taking zero salary in to account for Staal and Montoya (they are probably on two way contracts and their salary doesn’t count if they are in the minors) However, if they are called up the Rangers will have to take the cap hit. Avery precarious situation in deed!

As I stated before expect some trade from the Rangers......and again the Canucks offer for Staal and Hossa still stands ;)
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    avery awarded 1.9 mil
    that was nice ot see comimg home from work at 5 in the morning! cool, so our offense is pretty much set, now we just gotta sort out or D and the backup goaile situation.
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    true,

but as a result of our getting gomez, the devils stole weekes away from us.
    so we either settle for Vali
    bring up Montoya
    or try to trade/ sign a still unsigned veteran backup goalminder.

i think bringing montoya up will kind of be a waste. you saw last season henrik is capable of a 65+ game work load, so having montoya sit on the bench for that many games is pointless. i would rather him stay in hartford, play every night and work on his game. ranger fans say, bring him up for the experience. what experience will he be getting if he plays 15 games scattered throughout an 82 game season? waste.
  • stickboystickboy Posts: 2,981
    i think bringing montoya up will kind of be a waste. you saw last season henrik is capable of a 65+ game work load, so having montoya sit on the bench for that many games is pointless. i would rather him stay in hartford, play every night and work on his game. ranger fans say, bring him up for the experience. what experience will he be getting if he plays 15 games scattered throughout an 82 game season? waste.
    What about Chris Holt...wasnt he one of the top runnerup for backup last yr?
    Not sure how much better he's gotten but I do remember at one point hearing that he was one of our top goalie prospects behind Henrik .
    Aah, fuck it, I’m just gonna go home, turn on the fuckin’ TV...
    Watch the nightly news and drink a beer...
    Like I could even change the world, yeah right...
    on a side note,,i was by msg tuesday night and i went into cosby's

boy #23 drury looks sweeeeeet

#19 gomez isnt too shabby neither
    NY PJ1 wrote:
    on a side note,,i was by msg tuesday night and i went into cosby's

boy #23 drury looks sweeeeeet

#19 gomez isnt too shabby neither

buddy

we all know the name on the reverse is really just irrelevant ( they are all honored ) ,
    The front with its diagonal R-A-N-G-E-R-S , clad in the red and white letters on the traditional home blue sweater- ( an "original 6" sweater )- now thats what its all about.

both of those guys will wear the colors well and look good doing it.
    platessmall.jpg
    even flow? wrote:

this could be a valid answer to your question,
    even tho i never used the word " need " ,.... ;)

from todays NY Daily News

Fact is, Avery's acquisition last February helped save the Rangers' season. Providing a jolt of energy and attitude that was desperately needed, Avery - who set career highs for goals (18) and assists (30) while racking up his usual 174 penalty minutes - catalyzed a 17-6-6 stretch drive that got the Rangers into the playoffs.

In the first round, he unnerved the Atlanta Thrashers, whom the Rangers swept. But he fizzled in the second round against a more disciplined Buffalo team that eliminated the Rangers in six games.
    platessmall.jpg