2007 Yankees

Comments

• JSBE wrote:
    padres put in a claim for igawa. if a trade can be worked out, i can't imagine them wanting to take on too much of his salary. the yanks will be on the hook for a lot of that $26mil.

big series starting this weekend. should be interesting because the indians have been doing very well lately.

that's awesome. i saw david wells was cut by the padres. maybe a igawa for wells trade..
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • JSBE wrote:
    i thought the suspension was handed out today? that's why torre wouldn't have served it last night.

yeah, it was (yesterday now). but i was under the impression that in the case of a hit batsman, the manager's suspension becomes automatic as soon as he is ejected. i didn't realize that it actually depends on the pitcher's punishment. i'm still not entirely sure how it works, to tell you the truth.

there are just too many dumb rules to keep track of.
    JSBE wrote:
    i'm 99.9% certain roger will appeal so they can work something out where he will pitch on regular rest and not 'miss' a turn. i could have sworn a couple years ago the 'default' pitcher suspension was 6 games just for that reason.

i would have thought so, too. but he chose to serve it immediately, as NCBRI mentioned.

i'm really hoping that this won't translate into another guest appearance by kei igawa. :(

but at the same time, i don't think they'll get rid of him quite yet unless they can get some of that $26 million back. he only makes $4 million a year, so it's not really an urgent issue.
  • that's awesome. i saw david wells was cut by the padres. maybe a igawa for wells trade..

i don't want david wells anywhere near this team.
  • i don't want david wells anywhere near this team.

me neither, i just felt like making an absurd trade proposal since i never call wfan...
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2969449

this offers more on kei igawa to the padres..
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • TaftTaft Posts: 454
    Tonight was a great night, Yanks beat Cleveland, Sox lose, Mariners lose, Tigers lose.

The Sox loss was the ultimate gut punch. Gagne is a joke, I wonder if Sox fans will FINALLY drop their fanboy love for Theo and call him out for picking up that guy....
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    Taft wrote:
    Tonight was a great night, Yanks beat Cleveland, Sox lose, Mariners lose, Tigers lose.

The Sox loss was the ultimate gut punch. Gagne is a joke, I wonder if Sox fans will FINALLY drop their fanboy love for Theo and call him out for picking up that guy....

that won't happen. are you honestly saying, 100% that you as a yankee fan would in no way, shape or form have wanted cashman to get gagne if he could have? that's what i thought. before last night gagne had given up 10 earned runs ALL SEASON.

gagne really didn't have it, but i can't believe there is no mention seemingly anywhere of drew's blunder by overrunning the ball i beleve huff hit. had drew not done that, that's only a single and maybe all the runs don't score.

anyways, was flipping back and forth between the sox/o's and yanks/tribe and hughes looked damn good. and i learned that joba's real name was justin until he changed it legally.
  • JSBE wrote:
    are you honestly saying, 100% that you as a yankee fan would in no way, shape or form have wanted cashman to get gagne if he could have?

i would take gagne. absolutely. 100%. no questions asked.

just not for what texas wanted in return (melky cabrera or 2006 first-round pick ian kennedy).

i was a little surprised that the red sox went after him, given the strength of their bullpen. but they didn't really give up anybody essential in that deal. gabbard and murphy are pretty good prospects, but it's likely that neither one of them would have been a long-term solution for the red sox.

apparently steve phillips was ripping brian cashman for passing on gagne. he said something to the effect of: there are a ton of melky cabreras out there and he wouldn't be any better than a fourth outfielder on a playoff team.

i guess this is why brian cashman is a major league GM and steve phillips never will be again (sometimes we need these subtle reminders). i don't think i really have to explain why trading melky cabrera wouldn't be a productive move for the yankees.

i like what cashman has been doing. hughes and joba are basically like deadline acquisitions for the yankees, and good ones at that. i don't think mark teixeira would have been as vital to their stretch run as either of these guys.

the only move i really have to question is cutting miguel cairo. now they have a ton of unnecessary offense off the bench (giambi, betemit, duncan), but no speed or defense whatsoever. cairo was 8 for 9 in stolen bases, and he was really their only pinch runner. they have plenty of pinch hitters, but when will they ever need one with their lineup?

i don't know why so many yankee fans dislike cairo. he basically does whatever is asked of him. for a guy who's strictly a backup infielder, he's about as good as it gets. hopefully he won't end up on a playoff team.

the latest i've heard on the igawa trade: buster olney reported that cla meredith was being discussed. that would be a great move, but i can't imagine that the padres are actually dumb enough to trade meredith for igawa.

then again, it would basically be like paying $26 million for cla meredith. that's a slightly higher price than doug mirabelli. :rolleyes:

whatever. we'll take him. get it done, cashman!
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    i was surprised that that is all it took to get gagne too. the best thing kason gabbard ever did was be good for the couple starts he had before the trading deadline. david murphy was an expendable OF prospect - really, with manny, coco, drew, ellsbury, moss, etc where is he going to play in the next 2-3 seasons? supposedly the key was the low level prospect they gave up, but anyone in low A ball is a toss-up where they are usually 4-5 years away from the majors at best.

i know hughes has only had a few starts, but he looks like the real deal for now. once there is more tape on him and other teams can do some research, that's where we will see what he is made of.

i haven't actually seen joba pitch live yet, just catch bits and pieces on highlight. as much as i like to keep track of the yanks, i still have to watch my sox. if i was a yanks fan i would just HOPE that torre doesn't fall in love with him and pitch him almost every game like he did with proctor.

i wouldn't have traded melky in a deal for gagne either. he's getting better, he's young and he's cheap. i mean, he replaced damon in CF (oh yeah, only 08 and 09 left on that deal).

dropping cairo made no sense. i already posted about that. right now you have glorified DHs on the bench that are all hit, very little field.

as 'little' as igawa's salary is ($4/yr?) i cannot see (or hope) the padres are dumb enough to give up meredith for him. (and i - along with a lot of other sox fans - will agree the mirabelli trade was horrible; it was a knee-jerk reaction trade because bard couldn't catch wakefield).
  • JSBE wrote:
    supposedly the key was the low level prospect they gave up, but anyone in low A ball is a toss-up where they are usually 4-5 years away from the majors at best.

i've heard comparisons to barry bonds and alfonso soriano. but right now he's just a .200 hitter on a low-level minor league team. so that's basically a coin flip right there.

hughes will go through an adjustment period, for sure. he's only 21 and is expected to further develop his slider and changeup. he also hasn't quite found his good fastball since returning from the DL. he was missing a lot of spots last night but got away with it because the hitters hadn't seen him before.

as for joba, we're all worried about torre abusing him. terrified, in fact.

loretta for mirabelli was a steal. it just turned out that mirabelli was more valuable to the red sox than he would have been to anyone else.

i remember i was waiting in line for irving plaza tickets when i found out they got him back. i was pissed.... until i found out who they gave up for him. that was just a weird move.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,805
    2 A-Bombs by A-Rod
    I miss igotid88
  • PJ_LukinPJ_Lukin Posts: 2,049
    igotid88 wrote:
    2 A-Bombs by A-Rod
    Shit, beat me to it!!
    ~!~ Peace ~!~ Love ~!~ Pearl Jam ~!~
    Home run by Giambi
    I miss igotid88
  • nice night by jose molina too with a 4-for-5 performance. this is also two good starts in a row by mussina.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    nice night by jose molina too with a 4-for-5 performance.

yeah

his first 4 hit game.

:)

Lets Go Yankees.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
    Babe The Ladies Man

August 12, 2007 -- THE Yankees had their hands full with the Alex Rodriguez scandal a few months back, but A-Rod's alleged dalliances with a busty blonde don't hold a candle to the wild and unquenchable sex life led by home-run king Babe Ruth in the 1920s, a new book on the Bronx Bombers reveals.

The Sultan of Swat bedded an endless parade of women, regularly visited whorehouses, and considered his sex organ and and his home-run bat his two greatest assets, according to "Five O'Clock Lightning," which chronicles the legendary,World Series-winning Yankee team of 1927.

"Liquor, women, partying and sex were always present . . . and where George Herman Ruth was always at the top of his game," writes Harvey Frommer, whose book hits stores in November.

Ruth routinely held wild parties jammed with young beauties in hotels on the road. During one bacchanalian bash, Frommer says, "Seizing the moment, savoring the time, perhaps a bit tipsy, the Babe climbed atop a piano and bellowed at the women, 'OK, girls, anyone who does not want to get [bleep]ed now can leave!' "

When he traveled with the Yanks, one of Ruth's favorite brothels was the oddly named "House of the Good Shepherd" in St. Louis. "Babe exiting the whorehouse would always stop off next door at a bakery at about five in the morning and gulp down a dozen freshly baked donuts. He could never get his fill," Frommer relates.

He says Ruth's favorite women were "mostly prostitutes, who in the 1910s and 1920s spoke of themselves as 'sporting girls.' They certainly were sport for Ruth, who had the telephone numbers of the girls in all the big cities. He also knew intimately the red-light districts in even the smallest towns."

Frommer also quotes baseball historian Fred Lieb as explaining: "Babe was inherently a phallus worshipper . . . His phallus and his home-run bat were his prize possessions, in that order."

Oddly, Ruth's extraordinary sexual appetite was in sharp contrast with that of his teammate Lou Gehrig. "Ill at ease in the company of women, viewed as a virgin by reporters and teammates, the young Gehrig spent as many nights as possible with his parents," Frommer writes.
    platessmall.jpg
  • NCBRINCBRI Posts: 1,902
    Pettitte looks great today. Cleveland was not impressive this weekend. There lineup is as inept as the Bad News Bears with Kelly Leak out of the lineup. Uh Oh.........they are threatening as I type this.

The Giambino with another HR today. I still dislike him severely.

Kei Igawa started at Triple-A Scranton on Saturday and is not a candidate to make Tuesday's start. :) Hope the Pads take him. We know they have been interested in him for a while. They put a bid in for him when he decided to come over from Japan.

With Clemens moved back to a Wednesday start because of the suspension, we should get a great matchup. Clemens vs Bedard who is a Cy Young candidate.

tied for the Wild Card spot
    Brian
    tense moment in the bottom of 9th
    I miss igotid88
    whew that was close.
    I miss igotid88
    whew that was close ( whats up mariano ? )

but it completes the season sweep - yanks winning all 6

Lets Go Yankees
    platessmall.jpg
    gagne blew another one. It could be 4 games by the end of the day.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    gagne blew another one. It could be 4 games by the end of the day.

Yes. 4 games back. Millar walk off against his old team.
    I miss igotid88
  • NY PJ1NY PJ1 Posts: 9,533
    igotid88 wrote:
    Yes. 4 games back. Millar walk off against his old team.

niceeeeeeeeee
  • did anyone read this? an insider's account of the 1977 yankees:

http://www.nj.com/yankees/ledger/index.ssf?/base/sports-1/1186893601111330.xml&coll=1&thispage=1
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • rival.rival. Posts: 7,775
    only 4 back......... helllllllll yeah!!!!!!!
  • from today's boston globe:

Mayday.

In this case, that is not a distress signal, even though you could almost imagine dozens of red flares firing over Boston Harbor as the Red Sox landed at Logan Airport following their 6-3, 10-inning loss to the Baltimore Orioles yesterday.

It is, instead, a bleak acknowledgment that the race in the American League East has not been this close since the first of May, when the Sox held a 3 1/2-game advantage over the Toronto Blue Jays and the Yankees were in last place, five games behind.

Now, the Yankees are only four games in arrears, having swept the Cleveland Indians and knocked them out of first place in the AL Central, while the Sox were losing two of three here to the Orioles, who had not won a series against the Sox in more than two years. Both losses came in walkoff fashion, yesterday at the hands of the American Idiot (as he was called in Baltimore Magazine), Kevin Millar. The former Sox motivational speaker hit a three-run home run off Kyle Snyder after Miguel Tejada took Eric Gagne deep for a tying two-run homer in the eighth.

"[The Yankees are] playing a whole lot better than we are right now," said Curt Schilling, who was in line to win for the first time since coming off the disabled list last Tuesday until Gagne coughed up another lead. "It's that simple. They're winning, we're not. But the answers are in this room and we're going to find them."

Gagne has been anything but the solution since he arrived in a much-heralded trading-deadline deal with the Rangers. With the memory of Friday's flameout (four runs in a third of an inning) still fresh in the memory of another Sox-besotted crowd of 48,551 in Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Gagne entered with one out and a runner aboard in the eighth, Hideki Okajima having walked the leadoff man in the inning, Corey Patterson.

It took only one batter for Sox fans to join their French-speaking neighbors in muttering, "O mon Dieu." Gagne missed with his first two fastballs to Tejada, which drastically lessened his options. He threw five more fastballs, the fastest registering 96 on the scoreboard radar gun. Tejada connected with No. 7, driving the ball into the left-center-field seats.

"I don't care if the gun showed 120," said a wrathful Gagne, whose ire was directed at only one target. "It doesn't matter. I'm not doing my job. It's very simple. It doesn't matter. I'm not making pitches. I'm going out there and messing the whole thing up. Everybody's out there playing a great ballgame, and I'm going out there and messing it up. That's not what I do. I need to step up my game."

Getting old?

"It's ridiculous, is what it is," he said, eyes blazing like the flaming peepers on the back of the sports jacket David Ortiz wore last week in Anaheim. "We should have won three games of three. I blew two."

Gagne was not without help in losing this one. Five times on this three-city, nine-game trip, the Sox scored four runs or fewer. They had runners on first and second with no outs in the second but did not score, Orioles second baseman Brian Roberts taking a hit away from Jason Varitek and third baseman Melvin Mora making a Mike Lowell-esque diving catch on Julio Lugo. Manny Ramírez doubled home two runs in the third, then was erased at third when he took off on a ball that fell at catcher Paul Bako's feet and no further. Doubles by Varitek and Lugo produced a third run in the fourth with one out, but the rally died there.

The Sox' failure to pad their lead reached ridiculous extremes in the sixth, when singles by Lowell and Varitek put runners on first and third with none out. The next batter was Eric Hinske, Coco Crisp an unexpected scratch because of what manager Terry Francona called "tired legs," perhaps flu-induced.

Hinske hit a one-hopper back to pitcher Steve Trachsel. He checked Lowell at third, then whirled and threw to second. The relay beat Hinske to first for a double play. When Lugo popped to third, the inning was over.

Francona did not second-guess Lowell for not trying to score when Trachsel threw to second.

"Once he checks the runner, Mike can't go," Francona said. "He doesn't have the speed to go. We just hope [Hinske] can beat it out. Sometimes other players make good plays. [Trachsel] checked the runner like he's supposed to, and throws to second. [Lowell] thinks about it, but he can't go. They turn two. We were hoping they wouldn't."

Two more chances would pass unrequited. In the seventh, Kevin Youkilis singled and Ortiz walked with one out, Trachsel finally yielding to reliever Jim Hoey. One batter later, the Orioles were headed back to the dugout, Ramirez having rolled into a 6-4-3 double play.

Hinske, the first batter in the ninth, was grazed by a pitch. But Lugo bunted foul twice, then flied to the track in left. One out later, Hinske managed to steal second, but reliever Danys Baez induced Youkilis to ground out.

Schilling neither struck out a batter nor walked one in his six innings, but he allowed just five hits, all singles, and an unearned run, the result of Lugo's two-base fielding error, and was in line to gain the victory that would have given the Sox a winning record on this trip after they'd split the first eight games. Friday night, with a 5-1 lead, Francona had Gagne start the eighth, then brought in Okajima. With a two-run advantage yesterday, Francona opted to have Okajima start the eighth to face the two lefthanded batters leading off the inning, Patterson and Nick Markakis. But Okajima walked Patterson, so after Markakis grounded into a force play, Tejada represented the tying run when Gagne entered.

"We had the inning set up the way we wanted to," Francona said.

When Gagne was running off a record 84 consecutive saves for the Dodgers, the Dodger Stadium scoreboard used to flash "Game Over," because it was a given Gagne would save the day.

Now, on a day Gagne had the odd experience of being booed in the ballpark where he'd just given up the lead to the home team, nothing is a given.

But for now, Francona insisted, nothing will change, either. He has no plans, he said, of altering Gagne's role.

"No," Francona said when it was suggested he might do just that. "Nope. We need him to be good. He will be very good."

With Francona holding back Jonathan Papelbon in hopes the Sox would get the lead, Manny Delcarmen pitched the ninth and struck out three, including Roberts after Tike Redman's two-out pinch single.

With Mike Timlin having already pitched the seventh, the summons then went to Snyder, who gave up singles to Patterson and Markakis to open the 10th. Tejada popped out, and Snyder had two strikes on Millar before he launched his 11th home run, a ball that didn't even elicit a glance from Ramírez as he trudged toward the dugout.

"I had to get a strikeout," Snyder said. "I thought I could put him away, but I left the ball over the plate."

So now the Sox return home, with the Yankees closing in, and Gagne a giant Gallic question mark.

"You can't allow one or two outings to shape your mentality, singly or as a club," Schilling said. "It's unfortunate, but it happens.

"It happens. That's just the big leagues. Sometimes, it just snowballs a little bit. He's going to be an essential part of us playing in the World Series, if that happens. Take it for what it's worth. He'll be right back there the next time he gets the ball."
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
  • AllNiteThingAllNiteThing Posts: 1,114
    Great Yankee weekend! Boston is going down the tubes. Forget the wild card...we're taking the whole thing. :cool:

Anyone else get the Yes network? I love those Yankeeographys...the Billy Martin one this weekend was really great. Between that and the Bronx is Burning show, I'm really learning a lot about those 70's/early 80's teams.
    24 years old, mid-life crisis
    nowadays hits you when you're young
  • Great Yankee weekend! Boston is going down the tubes. Forget the wild card...we're taking the whole thing. :cool:

Anyone else get the Yes network? I love those Yankeeographys...the Billy Martin one this weekend was really great. Between that and the Bronx is Burning show, I'm really learning a lot about those 70's/early 80's teams.

If you want to learn more, you should check out a book called "Damn Yankees", which details all the craziness from 1978-1989.
    Reading 2004
    Chicago 2007
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024

Great article...thanks! :cool:
    If you want to learn more, you should check out a book called "Damn Yankees", which details all the craziness from 1978-1989.

Will do! I became a fan in the mid-late 80's because of Donny Baseball, and had some awareness of Martin and the previous teams, but I was really too young to understand it all. This team has so much history behind it.