arod 10yr 275 mil w/ the yanks

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    The last player to get a multiyear contract with an AAV of $20 Million was Manny Ramirez. As noted above, the Yankees have paid ARod approximately $16 million per over the last 4 years, while the Red Sox have paid manny $20 million per. Even the Red Sox think Manny is grossly overpaid. They put him on waivers a few years ago, meaning any team in the league could have claimed him and his contract, gave up absolutely nothing other than the $20 million per to get Manny Ramirez. Not one single team claimed him.

The Red Sox also paid $52 Million just for the rights to give $50 million to a pitcher who never threw a single pitch in the Majors.

With this kind of money being spent by teams, I gather that's what it takes to win championships in this millineum.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,678
    Dice making 10 million a year is a bargin when you look at what the
    teams will be paying free agent SP's this year.
    Just compare it to the 11 Mil per year the Royals gave Gil Meche last offseason and its a slam dunk.
    This weekend we rock Portland
    The last player to get a multiyear contract with an AAV of $20 Million was Manny Ramirez.
    Well thats splitting hairs since Manny signed his 8 year 160 mil deal 2 days after Arod signed his 10 yr 252 mil deal.
    Both deals came in the same offseason, in a buyers' market like last year when silly money was given to mediocre players.

And in the relative scheme of things(comparing to what other players earn respective to their production) both have earned their money to date. The Red Sox tried to unload Manny not because of his production, but his attitude...but this year he was a model teammate and if he hits next year like we saw him hit in October, they'll pick up at least one of his 2 option years, cause suddenly he's a relative bargain at 20 mil a season.
  • JSBEJSBE Posts: 1,077
    igotid88 wrote:
    Of what the Yankees paid A-Rod. Not what he gets from Texas. If you take out the Texas money they were paying him 16 or 17 mil.

at the end of the day, yes, the yanks were "only" paying him $16/17mil, but you can't split it like "the yanks pay this, the rangers pay this" because a-rod gets all his paychecks from the yankees. the rangers pay the yanks an average of $7mil a year towards a-rod's salary. the yanks then turn around and pass that money to a-rod's bank account. it's not like on the 1st and 15th of the month he gets a check for 3/4th of his salary from the yanks payroll department and then gets another check for the remaining 1/4th from the rangers payroll department.

now the yanks are on the verge of having an average of $27/28mil go to a-rod for the next decade and that is not even taking into effect the backloading of the contract that will almost certainly take place.

bring up manny's contract all you want but he was paid less than giambi was paid this year AND the red sox have beckett signed for the next 2 years for a lower aav than what is being paid to pavano (bust) and big papi is signed for a couple more years at an approx. aav as damon, posada and abreu are getting.
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    JSBE wrote:
    at the end of the day, yes, the yanks were "only" paying him $16/17mil, but you can't split it like "the yanks pay this, the rangers pay this" because a-rod gets all his paychecks from the yankees. the rangers pay the yanks an average of $7mil a year towards a-rod's salary. the yanks then turn around and pass that money to a-rod's bank account. it's not like on the 1st and 15th of the month he gets a check for 3/4th of his salary from the yanks payroll department and then gets another check for the remaining 1/4th from the rangers payroll department.

Yes, you can split it like that.

It doesn't really matter if the money goes directly to A-Rod's bank account, or goes through a 3rd party. The Rangers are(were) essentially paying a portion of A-Rod's contract. It's not as if the Yankees had any option to pocket that money because it wouldn't be coming in without A-Rod.

I agree, the Yankees have been handing out a lot of stupid contracts in recent years. However, considering the money they paid A-Rod compared to his contemporaries, I would say he was a bargain.
    AstroFan wrote:
    Yes, you can split it like that.

It doesn't really matter if the money goes directly to A-Rod's bank account, or goes through a 3rd party. The Rangers are(were) essentially paying a portion of A-Rod's contract. It's not as if the Yankees had any option to pocket that money because it wouldn't be coming in without A-Rod.

I agree, the Yankees have been handing out a lot of stupid contracts in recent years. However, considering the money they paid A-Rod compared to his contemporaries, I would say he was a bargain.

if you want to sit here and differentiate between what the yanks paid a-rod and what the "rangers" paid a-rod...that's fine and i will agree that for what the yankees actually paid a-rod for his 4 years (so far) as a yankee compared to his contemporaries - he would be considered a bargain...but ultimately it comes down to the fact that he was playing out a 10 year, $252mil contract and he has done next to nothing in the all important post-season at-bats. and i do acknowledge that other yankees have done not a whole lot either...but they aren't wearing that 10/252 target on their back.
    The last player to get a multiyear contract with an AAV of $20 Million was Manny Ramirez. As noted above, the Yankees have paid ARod approximately $16 million per over the last 4 years, while the Red Sox have paid manny $20 million per. Even the Red Sox think Manny is grossly overpaid. They put him on waivers a few years ago, meaning any team in the league could have claimed him and his contract, gave up absolutely nothing other than the $20 million per to get Manny Ramirez. Not one single team claimed him.

The Red Sox also paid $52 Million just for the rights to give $50 million to a pitcher who never threw a single pitch in the Majors.

1. manny is a hitting machine and has two rings.

2. how's kei igawa and the $26mil posting fee working out for the yanks? i'm pretty sure he didn't win 15 games AND a ring in 2007.
  • Steve DunneSteve Dunne Posts: 4,965
    both cashman and a-hole have to go.
    I love to turn you on
  • The last player to get a multiyear contract with an AAV of $20 Million was Manny Ramirez. As noted above, the Yankees have paid ARod approximately $16 million per over the last 4 years, while the Red Sox have paid manny $20 million per. Even the Red Sox think Manny is grossly overpaid. They put him on waivers a few years ago, meaning any team in the league could have claimed him and his contract, gave up absolutely nothing other than the $20 million per to get Manny Ramirez. Not one single team claimed him.

Ok you know that's wrong. A-rod got 25 million when Manny did. I can see people trying to justify what the Yankees actually pay him, but his CONTRACT still pays him 25 million a year.

Yes, the Sox pay Manny 20 million a year, but there are 2 caveats to this contract. 1. The inflation of salaries and revenue has made this contract a relative bargain that it was not when signed. 2. The Red Sox have already won 2 World Series with manny a World Series MVP during this contract.

The whole posting thing drives me insane, because it is a fact of life in any sports league across the world except here in the US. I see it every year in Football (not American) so it's just the way business is done. Did they out bid everyone? Yeah, but I would contend that though the Sox spend a lot of money, they spend it wisely, unlike their rivals.
    9/7/98, 8/3/00, 9/4/00, 4/15/03, 7/1/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 5/24/06, 5/25/06, 6/17/08, 6/22/08, 6/28/08, 6/30/08, 5/17/10, 10/15/13, 10/16/13.
    Ok you know that's wrong. A-rod got 25 million when Manny did. I can see people trying to justify what the Yankees actually pay him, but his CONTRACT still pays him 25 million a year.

i understand, but astrofan doesn't seem to because he's only thinking what the yanks have to pay out of their pocket.
  • AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    JSBE wrote:
    i understand, but astrofan doesn't seem to because he's only thinking what the yanks have to pay out of their pocket.

I brought it up when another poster was talking about what the Red Sox pay their players in comparison to what the Yankees pay A-Rod. I pointed out that the Red Sox pay Manny Ramirez more than the Yankees pay A-Rod, and the Yankees pay other players on their roster more than they pay A-Rod.

I don't even know what there is to argue about my statement since I just pointed out facts.
    AstroFan wrote:
    I brought it up when another poster was talking about what the Red Sox pay their players in comparison to what the Yankees pay A-Rod. I pointed out that the Red Sox pay Manny Ramirez more than the Yankees pay A-Rod, and the Yankees pay other players on their roster more than they pay A-Rod.

I don't even know what there is to argue about my statement since I just pointed out facts.

i understand what you are saying and i understand that the yankees only paid a-rod $16/17mil whereas the red sox paid manny upwards of $20mil. my reply to RVM was simply that you were only referring to what the yanks were on the hook for as opposed to the whole thing.

i think the "arguement" was that someone started to bring up AAV and that's where someone jumped in and brought up the fact that the yanks were paying a-rod less than what the sox were paying manny...but obviously a-rod's AAV was much higher than manny's.
    looks like the deal has been agreed upon. 10 years, $275 mil with bonuses to get the contract up to $300mil if he passes ruth, aaron and bonds on the hr list.

there will obviously be more to come on the specifics of the deal.
  • giving the yanks even more of a bad name :D
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
    At least they stand by their convictions and didn't negotiate with him after he opted out.
    Big Stein wouldn't have spoken to him in his heyday. Obviously not the case with Frick and Frack.
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    Poncier wrote:
    At least they stand by their convictions and didn't negotiate with him after he opted out.
    Big Stein wouldn't have spoken to him in his heyday. Obviously not the case with Frick and Frack.

i think they didn't want to deal with scum bore-ass...;)
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    JSBE wrote:
    looks like the deal has been agreed upon. 10 years, $275 mil with bonuses to get the contract up to $300mil if he passes ruth, aaron and bonds on the hr list.

there will obviously be more to come on the specifics of the deal.

NOOOOOOOO!!! TEN YEARS? He's going to jinx us for TEN years. I'm going to start watching the Mets ;p Blech. Blech blech blech. This is SO bogus. How old is he, 32?
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    A-Rod, Yanks OK outline of $275M deal

By RONALD BLUM, AP Baseball Writer 33 minutes ago

NEW YORK - Alex Rodriguez and the New York Yankees have agreed to the outline of a record $275 million, 10-year contract, a deal that potentially would allow him to earn millions more if he sets the career home-run record.

The amount of the guaranteed money was revealed by a person familiar with the negotiations who spoke Thursday on condition of anonymity because the deal hasn't been finalized. A-Rod and his wife met Wednesday in Tampa, Fla., with brothers Hal and Hank Steinbrenner, but the parameters of the agreement were set in place last weekend.

"The meeting was a final get-together," Yankees senior vice president Hank Steinbrenner said. "He wanted to make sure myself and my brother knew that he was sincere and serious."

The Yankees still must draft the agreement with Rodriguez's agent, Scott Boras. Asked whether the only remaining details were putting the deal on paper, Steinbrenner responded: "pretty much so."

Boras wasn't a part of the negotiations, in which Goldman Sachs managing directors John Mallory and Gerald Cardinale conducted shuttle diplomacy.

"They were the go-betweens, initially," Steinbrenner said. "That's how he reached out to us."

The Yankees were notified by Boras on Oct. 28 that Rodriguez was opting out of the final three seasons of his $252 million, 10-year contract — the previous record — and becoming a free agent. New York maintained then that it no longer would negotiate with A-Rod because the decision eliminated a $21.3 million subsidy from Texas that was negotiated in the 2004 trade.

About a week later, A-Rod contacted Mallory, a friend who works in private wealth management in Goldman's Los Angeles office. Rodriguez knew the Yankees have a close relationship with the investment bank, which was instrumental in the launch of the team's YES Network.

Mallory called Cardinale, who works in the merchant banking section in New York and helped finance the network. Cardinale in turn got in touch with Yankees president Randy Levine.

A-Rod and the Yankees exchanged proposals via the bankers, and the deal gradually was framed in about a dozen telephone calls.

The sides still are working on putting together a provision that would allow Rodriguez to share revenue created by his pursuit of the career home record held by Barry Bonds, who was indicted Thursday on perjury and obstruction charges. A-Rod has 518 homers, 244 shy of the mark.

"The Yankees have never had a player since Babe Ruth that really had a 100 percent chance" of setting the record, Steinbrenner said. "(Mickey) Mantle should have, but he had too many injuries. It's a historical achievement bonus more than it is an incentive bonus. There is no yearly incentive bonus."

That provision must be drafted carefully because of Major League Rule 3 (b) (5), which states no contract shall be approved "if it contains a bonus for playing, pitching or batting skill or if it provides for the payment of a bonus contingent on the standing of the signing club at the end of the championship season."

Even with that, the commissioner's office allowed the Boston Red Sox in 2003 to give Curt Schilling a provision for a $2 million raise in a season following a World Series championship. Boston won the title the following year.

The Yankees already have been in touch with Major League Baseball, and A-Rod's side contacted the players' association.

"Because he's generating such enormous revenue potential, both to the player and the club, there should be some way for the player and the club to capitalize on that achievement in some fashion," said Gene Orza, the union's chief operating officer. "The devil will be in the details. The minds of men and women in the sport should be able to figure this out."

Steinbrenner said Rodriguez was given bad advice by Boras during the time before the decision to opt out.

"Boras did a lot of good things for Alex through the years, and Alex knows that. I mean, obviously, he's going to look to Scott's advice on everything," Steinbrenner said. "That's not unusual today. It's not like he's the only one. And if an agent gets out of line or makes bad decisions, then that's going to hurt the player. And obviously, that's one of the things that happened here."

Rodriguez still winds up with baseball's largest contract, a fact that got the attention of Schilling.

"None of us are worth that much relative to 'real world' salaries," the pitcher wrote on his Web site. "But if someone in the game was getting a contract that big, I am not sure you could argue it being Alex. On the field this guy is the MVP-in-waiting every year, it seems."

Steinbrenner said he thinks that had Rodriguez tested the free-agent market, he would have gotten a more lucrative contract and cited the interest of the Los Angeles Dodgers, led by new manager Joe Torre, and perhaps other teams.

"There are a few cynics who say, 'Well he really couldn't get this there,'" Steinbrenner said. "Trust me, he would have gotten probably more. He is making a sacrifice to be a Yankee, there's no question. ... He showed what was really in his heart and what he really wanted."

Now that he's staying with the Yankees, will A-Rod get a Yankeeography on YES?

"Well, we'll see," Steinbrenner said, chuckling.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071116/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankees_rodriguez_32
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    thanks for the article, I appreciate it
    I get a breaking news e-mail :( I saw it was for real. I am so bummed out. TEN years.? How old is he, 32?

TEN years. We're not going to win a WS till my future children are in kindergarten. It's so bogus.
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
  • g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    A-Rod wanted to leave NYY for big big money, it wasn't there and had to put his tail between his legs and come back to NYY for less money than if he had not opted out.

I'll take a quote from that Godfather III movie....Pacino says: "Everytime I tried to get out of it, they kept pulling me back!”

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Allie wrote:
    thanks for the article, I appreciate it
    I get a breaking news e-mail :( I saw it was for real. I am so bummed out. TEN years.? How old is he, 32?

TEN years. We're not going to win a WS till my future children are in kindergarten. It's so bogus.
    let the Red Sox era reign!!!!!!!:D

cutback wrote:

Steinbrenner said he thinks that had Rodriguez tested the free-agent market, he would have gotten a more lucrative contract and cited the interest of the Los Angeles Dodgers, led by new manager Joe Torre, and perhaps other teams.

"There are a few cynics who say, 'Well he really couldn't get this there,'" Steinbrenner said. "Trust me, he would have gotten probably more. He is making a sacrifice to be a Yankee, there's no question. ... He showed what was really in his heart and what he really wanted."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20071116/ap_on_sp_ba_ne/bba_yankees_rodriguez_32
    Wow young Hanky can sling BS
  • Poncier wrote:
    no shit. the steinbrenner family has no class. fuck a-rod, fuck the yankess, fuck steinbrenner.

im goin out tomorrow and getting the steinbrenner ruined baseball sticker!!!

Poncier wrote:

you beat me to in poncier. hank does not miss a single chance to get his name out there. i don't think 5 mins have gone by since georgie put him and his brother (aka - the steinbrothers) in charge. i am literally waiting until the yanks have a bad streak to see what hank does.

and to be honest, no, a-rod did not have the chance to get more money elsewhere. if the yankees were holding out until now to sign him, where would big market teams with much smaller payrolls and revenue streams (aka - angels, dodgers, mets) get the cash to afford a contract like that? i was 99% certain the red sox would not commit to a 10 year deal. they won't even give lowell a 4 year deal (and i don't think they should).

a week ago i would have put money on the angels getting him. i guess arte moreno is all talk, no action and is content to hope that the m's, a's and rangers just keep sucking enough.

i think the funniest part of all this is that the day that a-rod signs the biggest contract in baseball, that barry bonds in indicted and totally, 110% upstages this. and the second funniest is that boras just had his whole persona and reputation kicked in the balls.

in my opinion a very dumb, dumb move for a-rod and for the yankees. obvious a-rod has such a short term memory that he forgets how badly he was booed last year at the stadium (not to mention everwhere else) and obviously the yankees have not paid attention at all to realize that proven pitching in the rotation and in the pen is the way to go.

and yes allie, a-rod is 32 and will be 33 next july.
    The Steinbrothers:
    Mr. Hankey and Shallow Hal.
    :D
  • kenshuntkenshunt Posts: 2,863
    Are the Yanks gonna sign Lowell and play him at first ?
    London 2005
    Toronto 2011 night 2
    Hamilton 2011
    London 2013
    kenshunt wrote:
    Are the Yanks gonna sign Lowell and play him at first ?

i can't imagine lowell would want to switch to a position that he's never played at in the majors, but he supposedly has 56 to 60 million reasons to do so. if the yankees think signing lowell away from the red sox to play him out of position - go right ahead. i don't want the red sox budging from their 3 year deal.
  • 8181 Posts: 58,276
    only 5 more years to go :lol:
    81 is now off the air

Off_Air.jpg
  • BinauralJamBinauralJam Posts: 14,158
    BDD_AR_ring_4.14.10.jpg
  • DS1119DS1119 Posts: 33,497
    Don't even get me started on this tool. :fp: