arod 10yr 275 mil w/ the yanks

Comments

• g under pg under p Posts: 18,182
    brain of c wrote:
    he's never made it to the world series. he's batting zero.

RIGHT, that's why I said IF! Who knows he could be a Yankee Jinx. However, maybe all to hoopla will bring your Yankee team together for last blast in the old Yankee Stadium.

I hope to see a game there next year before whatever they will do with the old stadium.

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• mrwalkerbmrwalkerb Posts: 1,015
    AstroFan wrote:
    I agree, this deal won't be good for the team at the backend of the contract. I would say the same for a lot of free agent contracts though. In 3-4 years, Posada definitely won't be worth 13 mill, and Rivera won't be worth 15 mill in 2 years(if he agrees to that deal).

I think they can afford both ARod and Johan, given the contracts that will be expiring within a year or two(Giambi, Mussina, Damon, Pavano, ect.)

they can afford anything they have no budget the only reason they didn't come in earlier to arod is becasue he made them look like fools, don't think for a second it was because of the money
    "I'm not suicidal, except when I drink. That's why we don't all drink at the same time, there'd be no-one alive to drive home..."
    Chris Cornell

http://www.myspace.com/mrwalkerb
  • I wouldn't want the guy if I was trying to win a title. It is no coincidence that he has played for so many playoff teams and never even been to the World Series. The only place he'd be a good fit is a team that needs to boost sagging attendance and low fan morale. They'd never win it all, but they'd improve in the regular season and see revenues jump enough to help pay a large chunk of that contract.

But, he is by NO means a true Yankee. Jeter, Rivera, Martinez, O'Neill, Wetteland, Ruth, Gehrig, Berra, Mantle.... A-Rod is nowhere near this list.

Peter Gammons said it best...."Buyer Beware"
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,791
    A lot of great players haven't won the World Series. And why is everyone putting words in his mouth. I don't know if he specifically asked for 350 mil. It was what probably Boras said he could get for him. I don't think he was gonna leave the yanks. I think he thought that they weren't serious about not negotiating if he opted out. And if this deal gets done. They wouldn't have to trade young players for Miguel Cabrera. And could possibly now go after Johan Santana.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    A lot of great players haven't won the World Series. And why is everyone putting words in his mouth. I don't know if he specifically asked for 350 mil. It was what probably Boras said he could get for him. I don't think he was gonna leave the yanks. I think he thought that they weren't serious about not negotiating if he opted out. And if this deal gets done. They wouldn't have to trade young players for Miguel Cabrera. And could possibly now go after Johan Santana.

With A-Rod's big ass contract they'll still have enough money to go after JS? Damn, well then the Yanks really do have a ton of money to offer the league's players. I can see why many don't like the Yankees. :)

Peace
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• AstroFanAstroFan Posts: 193
    I wouldn't want the guy if I was trying to win a title. It is no coincidence that he has played for so many playoff teams and never even been to the World Series.

Ted Williams only had 25 postseason ABs, and never won the World Series. His career batting line in the postseason was .200/.333/.200.

Ernie Banks never played a single playoff game.

If I was trying to win a title, I think I would take my chances trying to acquire great, Hall Of Fame caliber players, even if they didn't happen to previously be on a 25 man roster that had won it all.
    g under p wrote:
    With A-Rod's big ass contract they'll still have enough money to go after JS? Damn, well then the Yanks really do have a ton of money to offer the league's players. I can see why many don't like the Yankees. :)

Peace

I meant by trade. A lot of people don't like the Yankees because their teams won't spend the money to keep players. I just meant that the Marlins wanted a lot for Cabrera. I'm sure they'll have to trade one of the youngsters for Johan. Hopefully not Phil Hughes. I'll give up Kennedy and maybe Wang.
    I miss igotid88
  • AstroFan wrote:
    Ted Williams only had 25 postseason ABs, and never won the World Series. His career batting line in the postseason was .200/.333/.200.

Ernie Banks never played a single playoff game.

If I was trying to win a title, I think I would take my chances trying to acquire great, Hall Of Fame caliber players, even if they didn't happen to previously be on a 25 man roster that had won it all.

Just because Ernie Banks and Ted Williams never won a title doesn't mean it can't be used against A-Rod. They played in an era when it was a lot harder to get to the playoffs, and, in Ernie Banks case, you didn't have free agency to bail you out of a bad team.

I also think it is no coincidence that the World Series hasn't featured the league's highest player since 1986. Teams that win divide their money wisely.
    I love my female wife...
    we sit around and wonder exactly why our marriage should feel threatened by gay marriage
    I wouldn't want the guy if I was trying to win a title. It is no coincidence that he has played for so many playoff teams and never even been to the World Series. The only place he'd be a good fit is a team that needs to boost sagging attendance and low fan morale. They'd never win it all, but they'd improve in the regular season and see revenues jump enough to help pay a large chunk of that contract.

But, he is by NO means a true Yankee. Jeter, Rivera, Martinez, O'Neill, Wetteland, Ruth, Gehrig, Berra, Mantle.... A-Rod is nowhere near this list.

Peter Gammons said it best...."Buyer Beware"

I hate when people say that. If he had played the same way and made 10 mil a year. Would he be treated the same? He plays hard everytime I watch the games. Off the field stuff or comments. I really haven't heard him say anything negative since he was here. People keep going to the interview with S.I. back then. Everyone disects everything he says. He should say this. He shouldn't say this.
    I miss igotid88
    Just because Ernie Banks and Ted Williams never won a title doesn't mean it can't be used against A-Rod. They played in an era when it was a lot harder to get to the playoffs, and, in Ernie Banks case, you didn't have free agency to bail you out of a bad team.

I also think it is no coincidence that the World Series hasn't featured the league's highest player since 1986. Teams that win divide their money wisely.

Like the Red Sox don't have highly paid players.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    Like the Red Sox don't have highly paid players.

Huh, as for the RED SOX not like A-Rod in fact no team pays a player like A-Rod.

I agree the more a team can evenly distribute their payroll and keep quality players that produce the better their chances of winning.

Peace

It's just evidence that a single player cannot carry a team to a title in baseball. Whether it's because there is no free agency, or because your GM signs trash like Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright to fill the rotation, they are still extenuating circumstances.

I also posted Ted Williams' line because I know all about the arguement about A-Rod's recent struggles in the playoffs, but struggling with a small sample size does not mean that A-Rod or Ted Williams are/were bad players, or jinxes for their team.

As for players in the modern era...

Tony Gwynn, Ken Griffey Jr, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Mike Piazza, Carlton Fisk, Robin Yount.

All HOF caliber players; no championships.

Having a great player usually is not the reason why a team fails to win the World Series.
    g under p wrote:
    Huh, as for the RED SOX not like A-Rod in fact no team pays a player like A-Rod.

I agree the more a team can evenly distribute their payroll and keep quality players that produce the better their chances of winning.

Peace

I don't get your first sentence.
    I miss igotid88
  • normnorm Posts: 31,146
    if i'm gonna pay $300 million for one player, i expect championships.....
    AstroFan wrote:
    It's just evidence that a single player cannot carry a team to a title in baseball. Whether it's because there is no free agency, or because your GM signs trash like Carl Pavano and Jaret Wright to fill the rotation, they are still extenuating circumstances.

I also posted Ted Williams' line because I know all about the arguement about A-Rod's recent struggles in the playoffs, but struggling with a small sample size does not mean that A-Rod or Ted Williams are/were bad players, or jinxes for their team.

As for players in the modern era...

Tony Gwynn, Ken Griffey Jr, Jeff Bagwell, Craig Biggio, Barry Bonds, Mike Piazza, Carlton Fisk, Robin Yount.

All HOF caliber players; no championships.

Having a great player usually is not the reason why a team fails to win the World Series.

people forget that other guys weren't hitting in the playoffs for the yankees.
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 wrote:
    people forget that other guys weren't hitting in the playoffs for the yankees.

They also forget that ARod has not been the highest paid Yankee on the team, either.

In 2005, with the money the Rangers were paying, there were 3 guys getting bigger paychecks from the Yankees(Giambi, Mussina, Jeter).

In 2006 he was 5th highest, behind the aforementioned three, plus Randy Johnson.

In 2007 he was the 3rd highest, behind Jason Giambi and Derek Jeter.

He has outplayed all of them.
    igotid88 wrote:
    I don't get your first sentence.

The Red Sox do have high play players but no way near what is or was being paid to A-Rod.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    The Red Sox do have high play players but no way near what is or was being paid to A-Rod.

Peace

They have paid Manny Ramirez more on a yearly basis than the Yankees have paid A-Rod.
    g under p wrote:

Peace

But they do overpay. And at least he plays up to his contract. Not unlike some others who get a big payday and forget how to play.
    I miss igotid88
    AstroFan wrote:
    They have paid Manny Ramirez more on a yearly basis than the Yankees have paid A-Rod.

Where did you get that nonsense. A-Rod, Giambi and Jeter top off highest paid list as Ramirez is 4th.

Peace

g under p wrote:
    Where did you get that nonsense. A-Rod, Giambi and Jeter top off highest paid list as Ramirez is 4th.

Peace

Of what the Yankees paid A-Rod. Not what he gets from Texas. If you take out the Texas money they were paying him 16 or 17 mil.
    I miss igotid88
    g under p wrote:

Peace

It's common knowledge that the Rangers have paid part of A-Rod's contract ever since he joined the Yankees.

A-Rod gets more total money, but since the discussion was about team payroll, it's worth noting that Manny Ramirez received more money from the Red Sox than A-Rod received from the Yankees.
  • AllieAllie Posts: 2,908
    is this a done deal?
    Say it ain't so!!! :(
    "...like a word misplaced, nothing said, what a waste.."
    "Sometimes life should be consumed in measured doses"
    6-01-06
    6/25/08
    Free Speedy
    and Metsy!
    Shoot I was just hoping he would just go away.

Peace

Allie wrote:
    is this a done deal?
    Say it ain't so!!! :(

it's getting close.
    I miss igotid88
    I gather now that after a renovated/redecorated house my 11 year old daughter's glossy A-Rod poster is going into her new room. Yuck! Long as it doesn't touch none my Red Sox stuff.

It is a real nice poster though just don't care much for the guy.

Peace

• g under p wrote:

Peace

The last player to get a multiyear contract with an AAV of $20 Million was Manny Ramirez. As noted above, the Yankees have paid ARod approximately $16 million per over the last 4 years, while the Red Sox have paid manny $20 million per. Even the Red Sox think Manny is grossly overpaid. They put him on waivers a few years ago, meaning any team in the league could have claimed him and his contract, gave up absolutely nothing other than the $20 million per to get Manny Ramirez. Not one single team claimed him.

The Red Sox also paid $52 Million just for the rights to give $50 million to a pitcher who never threw a single pitch in the Majors.

• I also think it is no coincidence that the World Series hasn't featured the league's highest player since 1986.

Was that Daryl Strawberry? You're right he was the league's highest player. He was high all the time. Or was it Dwight Gooden? Funny, the league's 2 highest players were on the same team.
    one foot in the door
    the other foot in the gutter
    sweet smell that they adore
    I think I'd rather smother
    -The Replacements-
  • gregkitefangregkitefan Posts: 1,115
    The last player to get a multiyear contract with an AAV of $20 Million was Manny Ramirez. As noted above, the Yankees have paid ARod approximately $16 million per over the last 4 years, while the Red Sox have paid manny $20 million per. Even the Red Sox think Manny is grossly overpaid. They put him on waivers a few years ago, meaning any team in the league could have claimed him and his contract, gave up absolutely nothing other than the $20 million per to get Manny Ramirez. Not one single team claimed him.

The Red Sox also paid $52 Million just for the rights to give $50 million to a pitcher who never threw a single pitch in the Majors.

The 52 million does not go against the payroll for the team.
    Dice won 15 games and helped the Sox win it all.
    Dice making 10 million a year is a bargin when you look at what the
    teams will be paying free agent SP's this year.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,213
    the ? should be are the 08 yankees better with AROD or without AROD to me the answer is they are better with ........
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....