Options

If Pearl Jam was a baseball player, who would they be?

124»

Comments

• Options
    Jason PJason P Posts: 19,123
    Crime Dog Fred McGriff
  • Options
    Sane MarySane Mary Posts: 223
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    Frank Thomas- 1st half of career = one the greats of all time. 2nd half of career has moments that go unnoticed by the masses.

I second this nomination. Top vote getters will go into a poll after the discussion dies down. Keep em' coming.
  • Options
    canadajammercanadajammer Posts: 263
    can't be Frank Thomas. Pearl Jam would never get cut from any team.

I think it has to be Ken Griffey Jr. Best in the '90s, despite all that crap going on around him (steroids - music business, 'selling out', ticketmaster)
  • Options
    surfponcesurfponce Posts: 71
    Reggie Jackson!!!!!!
    dean stirk
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:

PS - Wrigleyville = Major League Baseball 8 miles south

That's awesome
    "WE'RE UH, WE'RE GONNA DO THIS ONE WHICH IS UH, CERTAINLY NOT A USUAL ONE, AND THEN UH, JUST TAKE A FEW MORE MINUTES, THEN UH, AND THEN WE'RE GONNA DO OUR BEST TO KEEP TOM PETTY AND THE HEARTBREAKERS AWAKE FR..." (cheering at intro)...

--->H2I

(special moment)
  • Options
    CaliBigWaveCaliBigWave California Posts: 82
    It has to be Mad Dog Greg Maddux, without a doubt...no pitcher won more games in the '90s, no better band rocked the 90s.
  • Options
    PJBuckeyePJBuckeye Posts: 1,102
    surfponce wrote:
    Reggie Jackson!!!!!!

I saw Reggie make a 5 year old kid cry in Cooperstown one year. Quite the A-hole.
    Chicago 6/29/98 - Nashville 8/17/00 - Cleveland 4/25/03- Chicago 6/18/03
    Chicago 5/16/06 - Milwaukee 6/30/06 - Bonnaroo 6/14/08 - Milwaukee (EV)8/19/08
    Chicago 8/23/09 - St. Louis 5/4/10 - East Troy 9/3/11 - East Troy 9/4/11
    Minor League Park 7/19/13 - Milwaukee 10-20-14 - Bonnaroo 6/11/16
    Minor League Park 8/20/16 - Minor League Park 8/22/16
    Minor League Park 8/18/18 - Minor League Park 8/20/18 - Los Angeles 4/16/20
  • Options
    LizardLizard So Cal Posts: 12,073
    I change my vote to Barry Bonds.
    So I'll just lie down and wait for the dream
    Where I'm not ugly and you're lookin' at me
  • Options
    PJBuckeye wrote:
    I saw Reggie make a 5 year old kid cry in Cooperstown one year. Quite the A-hole.

I was at a work conference in Tampa last year. The entire Yankees team stayed at my hotel. I saw Reggie every time I turned around, 99% of those times he was hitting on different women. I'm a lifelong Yankees fan, and Reggie was my favorite player when I was a kid, it was really strange to see him this way...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Lenny Dykstra "Nails"
  • Options
    stickfig13stickfig13 Posts: 1,532
    Manny Ramirez.....

Manny being Manny

PJ being PJ
    Sacramento 10-30-00, Bridge School 10-20 and 10-21-01, Bridge School 10-25 and 10-26-01, Irvine 06-02-03, Irvine 06-03-03, San Diego 06-05-03, San Diego 07-07-06, Los Angeles 07-09-06, Santa Barbara 07-13-06, London UK 06-18-07, San Diego 10-9-09, San Diego 2013, LA 1 2013
  • Options
    curt flood
    The world is like a ride in an amusement park, and when you choose to go on it you think it's real because that's how powerful our minds are. The ride goes up and down, around and around, it has thrills and chills, and it's very brightly colored, and it's very loud, and it's fun for a while. Many people have been on the ride a long time, and they begin to wonder, "Hey, is this real, or is this just a ride?" And other people have remembered, and they come back to us and say, "Hey, don't worry; don't be afraid, ever. Because this is just a ride." And we...kill those people. "Shut him up! I've got a lot invested in this ride, shut him up! Look at my furrows of worry, look at my big bank account, and my family. This has to be real." It's just a ride. But we always kill the good guys who try and tell us that, you ever notice that? And let the demons run amok? But it doesn't matter, because it's just a ride. And we can change it any time we want. It's only a choice. No effort, no work, no job, no savings of money. Just a simple choice, right now, between fear and love. The eyes of fear want you to put bigger locks on your doors, buy guns, close yourself off. The eyes of love instead see all of us as one. Here's what we can do to change the world, right now, to a better ride. Take all that money we spend on weapons and defenses each year and instead spend it feeding and clothing and educating the poor of the world, which it would pay for many times over, not one human being excluded, and we could explore space, together, both inner and outer, forever, in peace.
    --Bill Hicks
  • Options
    satansbedbugssatansbedbugs On Tour Posts: 2,410
    How bout Mark Grace???

Long time Chicago Cub- like ED

Always there for the average fan

Not flashy but got the job done well.

Under the radar his whole career

Fan favorite......

My Vote goes to Mark Grace!!!!!!!!

He should be on the final poll
    *Marker in the Sand Fanclub * HNIC

Philly- 2005, 2013, 2016
    Camden 2000, 2003, 2006, 2008, 2022
    Philly Spectrum 2009 x4 - We closed that MFER Down Proper
    DC- 2006, 2008
    New York- 2008, 2010
    Boston - Fenway 2016
    New Jersey- 2006
    Chicago - 2007
    Seattle- 2005
    EV Solo- DC x2, Baltimore x2 , Newark NJ x2,  Tower Theater x2 

- Given To Fly
  • Options
    tony fernandez, go jays
  • Options
    Blind3Blind3 Posts: 1,149
    Chase Utley. Dynamic on field (stage) presence . Picture of high level consistency in the work product he puts out. Gentleman away from the spotlight. I've talked with Chase Utley three times and every mermber of PJ at least once. To be exact, Mike 6 times , Jeff twice, and Boom, Ed, Matt, and Stone once each.
    "Buy the ticket,take the ride"
    Dr. Hunter S. Thompson

"If I wanted you to understand, I would have explained it better"
    Johan Cruijff
  • Options
    koydetmerkoydetmer Posts: 1
    because he can time travel
  • Options
    Evo2010Evo2010 Posts: 90
    Im a Met fan but I love the way Eric Byrnes on the D-Backs plays. He has that long hair rock and roll look and he plays just for the fun of it reminds me of Jeff back in the day.
  • Options
    intodeepintodeep Posts: 7,228
    I like the Ken Griffey Jr comparison.

both are later in there career. Very dominate. High Values ( i don't think KGJR ever used steroids)
    Charlotte 00
    Charlotte 03
    Asheville 04
    Atlanta 12
    Greenville 16, Columbia 16
    Seattle 18 
    Nashville 22
  • Options
    he still standshe still stands Posts: 2,835
    George Brett

Steady throughout their career and often forgotten or under-appreciated.
    Everything not forbidden is compulsory and eveything not compulsory is forbidden. You are free... free to do what the government says you can do.
  • Options
    The logical choice is Alex Cole.
  • Options
    Nolan Ryan of course
  • Options
    no one has said good ol' Cal Ripken Jr. yet.

Cal Jr. wasn't flashy, he liked to get dirty and he got the job done. Reliable and consistent. Day in, day out and the longevity and durability of this class act were unquestionable. Kinda like our boys!

Both are/were ambassadors for their respective craft!

After a while, they both have become the face for their respective eras. Consdiring he was my favorite ball player, this is a perfect comparison for me.
    "If you love someone... set them free. If someone loves you, don't fuck it up." - Ed
  • Options
    gusturtlegusturtle Posts: 440
    Rod Carew