Options

If Pearl Jam was a baseball player, who would they be?

Comments

• Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Perhaps now they are Kerry Wood.

Made splash on the scene as a superstar. PJ took a back seat away from the media. Wood got injured and was kind of out of the spotlight.

Wood is now back and in a different role. Kind of like PJ's music evolving. Still great.
  • Options
    Sane MarySane Mary Posts: 223
    Wilds wrote:
    Perhaps now they are Kerry Wood.

Made splash on the scene as a superstar. PJ took a back seat away from the media. Wood got injured and was kind of out of the spotlight.

Wood is now back and in a different role. Kind of like PJ's music evolving. Still great.
    I was waiting for the first pitcher. Good one, particularly given his PJ connection. However, without the longevity yet, maybe Dennis Eckersley, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson are more appropriate.
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    A Rod
    pearl jam isnt gay.
    I will be what i could be
    Once I get out of this town

9/29/04;6/27/08;6/30/08;8/23/09;08/24/09;5/17/10
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329
    Sane Mary wrote:
    I was waiting for the first pitcher. Good one, particularly given his PJ connection. However, without the longevity yet, maybe Dennis Eckersley, Nolan Ryan or Randy Johnson are more appropriate.

I like the Eck one. Hall of Famer with style. Championships, addiction. Awesome career.

Loved the East and West Coasts. lol.
  • Options
    Monkey WrenchMonkey Wrench Posts: 104
    no one has said good ol' Cal Ripken Jr. yet.

Cal Jr. wasn't flashy, he liked to get dirty and he got the job done. Reliable and consistent. Day in, day out and the longevity and durability of this class act were unquestionable. Kinda like our boys!

Both are/were ambassadors for their respective craft!
    Monkey Wrench

Molson Park, Barrie - Aug 92
    CNE, Toronto - Aug 93
    Maple Leaf Gardens, Toronto - Sep 96
    Molson Park, Barrie - Aug 98
    Air Canada Center, Toronto - Oct 00
    Copps Collesium, Hamilton - Sep 05
    ACC, Toronto - Sep 05
    ACC - Toronto - Tour Launch - Show I - May 06
    Chicago, IL - August 2009
    East Troy WI - Sept 3 & 4 2011 - PJ TWENTY
    Toronto, Ontario - Sept 11, 2011
    Dublin, Ireland - June 2010
    Belfast, Ireland - June 2010
    Buffalo, NY - Oct 2013
    Toronto, Canada - May 2016
  • Options
    BeerBaron wrote:
    You must have missed the stories last summer about A-Rod hitting the town in Toronto with a stripper from the Brass Rail :)
    oh i remebered that. like i said, pearl jam isnt gay. :)

.....im calling A Rod a chick

• Options
    pjsycopjsyco Wilmington, NC Posts: 642

Cal Jr. wasn't flashy, he liked to get dirty and he got the job done. Reliable and consistent. Day in, day out and the longevity and durability of this class act were unquestionable. Kinda like our boys!

How could we forget Cal Ripken, JR.? Winner Winner Chicken Dinner
  • Options
    alpittalpitt Posts: 91
    Keith Hernandez!
    "I'm an ideas man Michael, I think I proved that with F*ck Mountain" -GOB
  • Options
    SavedFuckerSavedFucker Posts: 215
    Pokey Reese
    i'll trade you my tee shirt for a grilled cheese
  • Options
    The JugglerThe Juggler Behind that bush over there. Posts: 47,315
    Dickie Thon.
    chinese-happy.jpg
  • Options
    halszka123halszka123 Posts: 1,109
    If They was a baseball palyer, i wouldn't hear about Them, for sure!
    Ask me - about volleyball player... of course Giba!
    Not 10c member? Have sth to say? write to me - I'll put it on the forum
    halszka123@op.pl
  • Options
    Given to...Given to... Wyoming Posts: 4,977

Word!
    "...would you like some forks?" EV 12-02-06
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    oh i remebered that. like i said, pearl jam isnt gay. :)

.....im calling A Rod a chick

its pretty bad if you have to explain the joke, especially with such silence afterwards.

next , youll use the photoshopped image of arod with the handbag in his arm running to first.

clever red sox nation.

a-rod is about as gay as pearl jam is a shitty garage folk band,...

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

iof pitchers were being considered then you cant go without a mention of the greatest reliever in baseballs history- Mariano Rivera .
    Enter Sandman,...
    Lights Out.
    Time for a Shower,...
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Robin Yount
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    Varitek ... true to himself; profound passion; strength, skill, and brains
  • Options
    Jose Canseco
    Stone has been bulking up for this tour.
  • Options
    AtlantaJammerAtlantaJammer Posts: 2,611
    pearl jam isnt gay.
    HAHA!! this is true
  • Options
    Bathgate66 wrote:
    its pretty bad if you have to explain the joke, especially with such silence afterwards.
    its pretty bad if youre team is in the cellar of the second weakest division in baseball.

rivera is a choke artist. was great until October of 04 and has dramatically declined since.

• Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    its pretty bad if youre team is in the cellar of the second weakest division in baseball.

is it youre
    or is it your ?
    :confused:

rivera is a choke artist. was great until October of 04 and has dramatically declined since.

that, like the championship that year, was a fluke.
    his numbers still to this day will not be touched by many.

typical redsox nation fan , hijacking a thread to ring your own bell.

:rolleyes:

Eeeeee- nough !

enough already
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    release30release30 Posts: 2,051
    George Brett
    Conversations getting dull
    There's a constant ringing in my ears
    Sense of humor's void and numb
    And I'm bored to tears.......
  • Options
    ryan198ryan198 Posts: 1,025
    ha...I actually had this argument with friends a few weeks back, only we used basketball players. I said Pearl Jam would be Tim Duncan. The were/are profound influences that have changed the way we experience both sports and music...yet you would never know it. However, by the end of their respective careers people will look back and go Damn!

Tim Duncan 4 rings with an aging David Robinson, and young Manu Ginobli and Tony Parker as his only possible HoFer teammates yet he receives little love when people make a case for best ever NBA players (I'm not a fan b/c he f'd my brackets up when he was in college, but I know he's good). Pearl Jam and just about everything with music...cartoon videos, ticketmaster, records for fastest selling albums, most albums on the Billboard 200 until they broke their own record, the first band with an extensive online fanclub, and so on.
  • Options
    lastexit78lastexit78 Posts: 615
    First name that came to mind was Greg Maddux. Look at the paralles here. First great season was 1992, won first of 4 CY Young awards. PJ burst onto the music scene that same year.

Turned down a monster deal with the Yankees to sign a lesser deal with the Braves in the winter of 92. PJ took less money a number of times over the years. Refusing to make videos for Vs. and Vitalogy and boycotting Ticketmaster showed they were not about the money.

Always did things without much media hype, just did his job and went home. Sounds a lot like PJ to me.

Maddux started in Chicago just like Eddie, he now plays in San Diego, Eddie's other home after he moved from Chicago.

At times was overshadowed by lesser players who as we now know weren't legit, players who took steroids. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire etc. Meanwhile here's Maddux in 2008 still getting it done (3.68 ERA as of 5/31) PJ was also overshadowed by less talented bands over the course of their career. Only to see those bands (Creed, Limp Biscuit etc) fall apart and become jokes while PJ stayed strong.

Maddux is without a doubt the baseball parrallel of PJ.
    06/22/95, 11/04/95, 11/15/97, 07/16/98, 10/30/99, 10/30/00, 10/31/00, 10/20/01, 10/21/01, 12/08/02, 06/01/03, 06/06/03, 10/25/03, 10/26/03, 09/28/04, 03/18/05, 09/01/05, 07/15/06, 07/16/06, 07/18/06, 07/22/06, 07/23/06, 10/21/06, 10/22/06, 08/28/09, 09/21/09, 09/22/09, 05/20/10, 05/21/10, 10/24/10, 11/26/13, 12/06/13, 06/28/14, 10/26/14, 07/10/18, 08/10/18, 10/02/21, 
  • Options
    thunderDANthunderDAN Posts: 2,094
    Lou Mernoli
  • Options
    thunderDAN wrote:
    Lou Mernoli
    it's merloni you butt plug
    NO TIME TO BE VOID OR SAVE UP ON LIFE, YOU GOT TO SPEND IT ALL!!!!!!!
  • Options
    chevychasechevychase Posts: 39
    release30 wrote:
    George Brett

Best ever
  • Options
    pjtradekingpjtradeking Posts: 4,045
    Two words......

Sid Bream.......Always rounding 3rd and going into home CLEATS UP and EXHAUSTED in the end!!!!
    Never, ever, flipping forget
    "Free Shipping" SPEEDY MCCREADY

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    chevychase wrote:
    Best ever

Not even top 10, and I am a BIG George Brett guy...:)

My friend was going to see Eddie last night. Since he was in Vegas, I gave him 5 Grand to gamble with. I told him I wanted it all to go on Black. Bastard! PhillyCrownOfThorns-11-2-12
  • Options
    lastexit78 wrote:
    First name that came to mind was Greg Maddux. Look at the paralles here. First great season was 1992, won first of 4 CY Young awards. PJ burst onto the music scene that same year.

Turned down a monster deal with the Yankees to sign a lesser deal with the Braves in the winter of 92. PJ took less money a number of times over the years. Refusing to make videos for Vs. and Vitalogy and boycotting Ticketmaster showed they were not about the money.

Always did things without much media hype, just did his job and went home. Sounds a lot like PJ to me.

Maddux started in Chicago just like Eddie, he now plays in San Diego, Eddie's other home after he moved from Chicago.

At times was overshadowed by lesser players who as we now know weren't legit, players who took steroids. Clemens, Bonds, McGwire etc. Meanwhile here's Maddux in 2008 still getting it done (3.68 ERA as of 5/31) PJ was also overshadowed by less talented bands over the course of their career. Only to see those bands (Creed, Limp Biscuit etc) fall apart and become jokes while PJ stayed strong.

Maddux is without a doubt the baseball parrallel of PJ.

Best one I have ready yet. I am ashamed of myself that I didnt think of that considering Maddux is my favorite player of ALL TIME!! Nice post!!