Options

Eddie Vedder is an Atheist...and I'm proud of him.

Comments

• Options
    Pearl JuliPearl Juli Posts: 1,213
    Oh, by all means, I was just responding to SoJ's particular point. But killing for territory still falls under the same evolutionary umbrella - it keeps the lion population at a size the land can handle. It's not the same as killing just because... y'know... it was a little bit boring for a while. :p

This got me thinking...killing for territory...mmm...lots of conquests and people killed for territory among other things throughout history...just like lions. Is it justified? Then you have crimes of passion. Don't some animal species fight and/or kill each other in order to have the rights to a female counterpart? is it justified?

This is interesting :)
    MISSION ACCOMPLISHED: 2008-06-11

♪ Juli ♪
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Surf Life wrote:
    it's usually not something someone comes too overnight. Usually they take a great deal of time to think over what it means.

Came to me pretty quick....

Social Studies...about 5th grade or so....teacher says "The Greeks believed in many gods in order to understand the world, like Neptune and the oceans" So at that moment I knew....same sh*t.

Its one thing to question what it all means, how everything got here...the beginning. But to believe in the pageantry and holy books written by humans and the corresponding fantasies...seems a bit silly to me..but if it helps some...more power to them.

I don't know what Ed or other members of the band think adn don't really care........but would find it highly amusing to watch them read and respond to this thread.... be some funny stuff.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    This is from wikipedia in regards to eddie's religious beliefs. And I agree with this statement 100%. How many people have died and will die in this world in the name of Religion? My two friends would still be alive and working in the World Trade Center right now, if it weren't for religion playing such a major part in the destruction caused on 9/11. There is nothing wrong with being an atheist. Some people believe in God....and some don't.

[edit] Religion
    Eddie Vedder is an atheist. There have been several instances in which Vedder has made athiest statements. At a concert in July 1998, he stated, "I would thank God, but I don't believe in it."[45] When asked in a 1998 interview about his feelings on God, Vedder responded:

"I think it's like a movie that was way too popular. It's a story that's been told too many times and just doesn't mean anything. Man lived on the planet -- [placing his fingers an inch apart], this is 5000 years of semi-recorded history. And God and the Bible, that came in somewhere around the middle, maybe 2000. This is the last 2000, this is what we're about to celebrate [indicating about an 1/8th of an inch with his fingers]. Now, humans, in some shape or form, have been on the Earth for three million years [pointing across the room to indicate the distance]. So, all this time, from there [gesturing toward the other side of the room], to here [indicating the 1/8th of an inch], there was no God, there was no story, there was no myth and people lived on this planet and they wandered and they gathered and they did all these things. The planet was never threatened. How did they survive for all this time without this belief in God? I'd like to ask this to someone who knows about Christianity and maybe you do. That just seems funny to me."[46]

When you are Burning in Hell next to Ed, have fun

.....and as far as Ed mentioning early Religion, check out Chinese Religions

some of the oldest in the world

they didn't survive without Religion, they had Religion

but Religion is not necessary to have spirituality

Hey Ed, maybe you should get in touch with your spiritual side

ps: showing up Drunk to shows sux for everyone man, just my opinion, actually more than just my opinion
    PEARL JAM~Lubbock, TX. 10~18~00
    PEARL JAM~San Antonio, TX. 4~5~03
    INCUBUS~Houston, TX. 1~19~07
    INCUBUS~Denver, CO. 2~8~07
    Lollapalooza~Chicago, IL. 8~5~07
    INCUBUS~Austin, TX. 9~3~07
    Bonnaroo~Manchester, TN 6~14~08
  • Options
    WildsWilds Posts: 4,329

Yeah.... Maybe the red horned devil will force Ed to play Bugs for all of us.
  • Options
    There is one more point I would like to make on this subject. Organized religion fails to answer the real questions. I will get to those in a moment.

Religions try to solve man's questions that he can not answer. Namely, why are we here and how, and where do we go when we die with some philosophy and morals added to help you live your life. Now if religion was passed on directly from God then why hasn't it answered the most important questions? What is God? Why did he bother? Why would a perfect all knowing god create such imperfect beings such as ourselves? Then set up religions to worship him and sit in judgement and reward the good ones with paradise at the end? What is the point? Is he bored? What is in it for him? It makes no sense what so ever from his point of view and he hasn't bothered to explain himself as yet.

I won't deny that people have an inate feeling that there is more to our existance but that doesn't mean we have to buy our fellow man's creative fantasies of what god is. One glaring issue is that God obviously does not interfere with modern life. He doesn't stop wars, 9/11's, 2 year olds from getting raped, etc. You can pray all you want as it only makes you feel better. If your lucky child recovers from cancer you will thank god but do you really think he shows that kind of favoratism? Our world is ours to do with as we please. He doesn't interfere now and he didn't interfere thousands of years ago by performing magic and writing books. God has yet to reveal himself but maybe you will meet him and understand when you pass on.

What does make sense is religion makes people feel better and it was a great method to control the masses.
  • Options
    ClimberInOzClimberInOz Posts: 217
    pjalive21 wrote:
    the big bang theory..here we go..two rocks collide and all the delicate,specific, and complicated parts the the world just come together in perfect harmony

now that is more unbelievable than religion

If I was to state on here that I don't believe in god because I find the part about jesus riding a flying pig to his day job as a sports commentator a little hard to swallow, you would rightly tell me that I should at least understand something before I declare it to be completely unbelievable.

If your understanding of the big bang theory remains as superficial and flawed as your post suggests, of course you will never understand find it believable, because you are not looking at the same theory as the scientists.

If you would like to give yourself a chance understand the theory, there are some excellent books available. Then you can at least choose to believe or disbelieve the actual big bang theory, rather than a misinterpretation of it.
  • Options
    JanieceJaniece Posts: 7
    I dont believe Ed is an atheist because of what he said on Inconclast which is recent, he said that he had a talk with God. Someone who says that isnt an atheist.
  • Options
    robowskirobowski Posts: 143
    its not who you believe in ......its what you believe in
    remember its an inside job today
    As you live your life in sometimes quiet desperation, facing adversity and tragedy: if you have hope and love, that mixture helps you overcome that tragedy and go on with the rest of your life.”
    --Jack Lengyel
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    whgarrett wrote:
    There are no true atheists.

Well, excuse me, but I am.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    chipboychipboy Posts: 137
    If there is a god I think it is an ant. Ants have been surviving for over 100 million years and the planet seems to be better suited to them than humans. The intelligent design of the ant god is truly amazing. Silly people think they are the reason the universe exists. Ha!
  • Options
    RockMamaRockMama Deep Creek Lake, MD Posts: 478
    I worship trees and the tree God.
    107 total First-Summerfest, Milwaukee '95
    Most recent: 2018 Stadium shows: Seattle 2, Missoula, Fenway 1 and 2; 2022: Oakland 1 and 2
  • Options
    CharliePCharlieP Copenhagen, Denmark Posts: 1,035
    I don´t care what Ed believes in.

Personally I believe in God.

So that doesn´t make me clever, cause people who are atheists are more intelligent?

That´s fuckin´ bullshit!

Some of you people tend to have that opinion...

Roskilde 2000, Berlin 2006, Athens 2006, Dusseldorf 2007, Copenhagen 2007, New York NY 1 + 2 2008, Berlin 2009, London 2009, London 2010, Berlin 2010, Manchester 2 2012, Berlin 1 2012, Stockholm 2012, Oslo 2012, Copenhagen 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 (EV solo) 2012, Amsterdam 1 + 2 2014, Stockholm 2014, Oslo 2014, Leeds 2014, Milton Keynes 2014, Heartland Festival DK (EV solo) 2017, Berlin 2018, Barcelona 2018, Copenhagen 2022, Prague 2022 (Cancelled)

• Options
    I suppose 'God's dice' WAS a catchier title than 'The dice that belong to the fictitious supreme being that I personally don't believe in'.

Just stop the madness already
  • Options
    Stone IronsStone Irons Posts: 430
    I suppose 'God's dice' WAS a catchier title than 'The dice that belong to the fictitious supreme being that I personally don't believe in'.

Just stop the madness already

Jeff wrote Gods' Dice, and here's what he had to say about it:

"That came out of kind of a conversation with somebody who's a pretty hardcore Greek Orthodox Catholic...I think I've been walking that line for a long time whether do I believe in God or am I my own God or where am I in that whole scheme of things. I think it has a lot to do about judgment. I'm still trying to figure out what that song's about...but judging anybody who has any sort of belief system whether they believe in God or not."

Source: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/echoes/echoes9a.html

Edit: Oh, and the title is "Gods' Dice", not "God's Dice", which is a big difference, actually.
    Can't escape from the common rule...
    If you hate something, don't you do it too
  • Options

.....and as far as Ed mentioning early Religion, check out Chinese Religions

some of the oldest in the world

they didn't survive without Religion, they had Religion

but Religion is not necessary to have spirituality

Hey Ed, maybe you should get in touch with your spiritual side

ps: showing up Drunk to shows sux for everyone man, just my opinion, actually more than just my opinion

Burn in Hell? Well I don't beleive in Hell either, but thanks anyway! I can also tell you the #2 thing that Eddie hates besides religion.........and that is the entire state of Texas. Go tell GWB to burn in hell..his RELIGIOUS beliefs has clouded his judgements so badly, that the entire world is in shambles. Thanks Texas!
    "All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
  • Options
    Jeff wrote Gods' Dice, and here's what he had to say about it:

"That came out of kind of a conversation with somebody who's a pretty hardcore Greek Orthodox Catholic...I think I've been walking that line for a long time whether do I believe in God or am I my own God or where am I in that whole scheme of things. I think it has a lot to do about judgment. I'm still trying to figure out what that song's about...but judging anybody who has any sort of belief system whether they believe in God or not."

Source: http://www.sonymusic.com/artists/PearlJam/echoes/echoes9a.html

Edit: Oh, and the title is "Gods' Dice", not "God's Dice", which is a big difference, actually.

I don't care who wrote it. Ed sang it. A TRUE Atheist, I would imagine, would never even ACKNOWLEDGE a God...
  • Options
    I don't care who wrote it. Ed sang it. A TRUE Atheist, I would imagine, would never even ACKNOWLEDGE a God...

Why not? Writers are concerned with the human condition, for the most part, and belief in gods are a very big part of that. I don't think Ed, no matter what his personal beliefs are, would shut himself off to exploring that sometimes.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Why not? Writers are concerned with the human condition, for the most part, and belief in gods are a very big part of that. I don't think Ed, no matter what his personal beliefs are, would shut himself off to exploring that sometimes.

I understand your point, but we're talking about Ed being an atheist, not Ed being a songwriter. The fact that Ed called out to 'God' at MSG, just to say he doesn't believe in 'him' just makes him look like an idiot. Its like calling someone on the phone just to tell them you don't want to talk to them anymore. If you don't believe in something, or someone, then shut the fuck up about it already. If you don't believe in ghosts, don't sit around the campfire telling ghost stories. If you don't believe in an afterlife, don't talk about heaven and hell. Just my opinion of course
  • Options
    JaneNYJaneNY Posts: 4,438
    I understand your point, but we're talking about Ed being an atheist, not Ed being a songwriter. The fact that Ed called out to 'God' at MSG, just to say he doesn't believe in 'him' just makes him look like an idiot. Its like calling someone on the phone just to tell them you don't want to talk to them anymore. If you don't believe in something, or someone, then shut the fuck up about it already. If you don't believe in ghosts, don't sit around the campfire telling ghost stories. If you don't believe in an afterlife, don't talk about heaven and hell. Just my opinion of course

But why? Why can't people talk about what they want? Just because someone doesn't believe in ghosts doesn't mean ghost stories aren't fun!
    R.i.p. Rigoberto Alpizar.
    R.i.p. My Dad - May 28, 2007
    R.i.p. Black Tail (cat) - Sept. 20, 2008
  • Options

Yeah, people who tell ghost stories without believing them are real assholes. :rolleyes: Jesus, it was a throwaway comment in the middle of a rock concert - I don't think he intended for it to lead to an in-depth analysis of his faith, or lack of faith.
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    Yeah, people who tell ghost stories without believing them are real assholes. :rolleyes: Jesus, it was a throwaway comment in the middle of a rock concert - I don't think he intended for it to lead to an in-depth analysis of his faith, or lack of faith.
    What I mean, is don't go on and on about not believing in something and then talk about it JUST to get a rise out of the crowd. I understand you don't HAVE to believe in ghosts to tell ghost stories. I'm not an idiot. Just don't stand there defiantly stating that ghosts don't exist and then break into a scary ass ghost story. Don't preach it, just live it is my motto...
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    I hate to disappoint the atheist bashers here, but Hitler was not an atheist. He was a strident God-believer who identified himself as a Christian on record, both in his own writings and in his speeches many, many times.

http://www.nobeliefs.com/Hitler1.htm
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    Dog LoyalDog Loyal Posts: 336
    I consider myself a true atheist, but phrases like "Oh my god" "God damn it" "God forbid" etc. are simply part of our cultural lexicon and I use them - perhaps less often than God believers, but I do use them.

ETA: I've always thought Vedder was a least agnostic if not atheist, but his beliefs really don't matter to me.

Live and let live, folks.
    The kids of today should defend themselves against the Seventies Nineties.
  • Options
    What I mean, is don't go on and on about not believing in something and then talk about it JUST to get a rise out of the crowd. I understand you don't HAVE to believe in ghosts to tell ghost stories. I'm not an idiot. Just don't stand there defiantly stating that ghosts don't exist and then break into a scary ass ghost story. Don't preach it, just live it is my motto...

I guess I just don't see Ed's comment as out of line with the music. What references there are to religion seem to laced with a fair amount of uncertainty.
  • Options
    I am thankful to God that everyone can have an opinion about things and I am thankful that we live in such a free world but freedom requires responsibility and that is really what needs to be addressed, responsibility. Noone seems to take responsibility for their own selves and blame either God, religion, politics, parents, children, whatever else you can think of so he/she can not take the responsibility for his/her own actions. Yes, I believe in God I am a Christian who believes that Jesus is the Savior but that doesnt make me any less of a human being than an atheist. But it does mean I have a responsibility to speak the truth as I believe, in hopes that God will work in someones life to speak to his/her own heart. Study the Bible dont just read it. I use to believe that something bigger than me existed but just didnt know, then I began to STUDY the Bible and unbeknowest to me, I was converted. IT takes time to study Gods word and I encourage anyone to at least to study. Ok im off my soap box LOL
    I love Pearl Jam and have been a fan for a very long time and its nice to talk to others who love the group :) Keep rocking!
  • Options
    EvilRabbitEvilRabbit Posts: 286
    Janiece wrote:
    I am thankful to God that everyone can have an opinion about things and I am thankful that we live in such a free world but freedom requires responsibility and that is really what needs to be addressed, responsibility. Noone seems to take responsibility for their own selves and blame either God, religion, politics, parents, children, whatever else you can think of so he/she can not take the responsibility for his/her own actions. Yes, I believe in God I am a Christian who believes that Jesus is the Savior but that doesnt make me any less of a human being than an atheist. But it does mean I have a responsibility to speak the truth as I believe, in hopes that God will work in someones life to speak to his/her own heart. Study the Bible dont just read it. I use to believe that something bigger than me existed but just didnt know, then I began to STUDY the Bible and unbeknowest to me, I was converted. IT takes time to study Gods word and I encourage anyone to at least to study. Ok im off my soap box LOL
    I love Pearl Jam and have been a fan for a very long time and its nice to talk to others who love the group :) Keep rocking!

"Gods word" = a book written by primitive mortal minds with little grasp of the natural world around them.

Don't waste your time studying a largely obsolete -- and often offensive -- work of fiction. Live life, enjoy it, and be a good person.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    "Gods word" = a book written by primitive mortal minds with little grasp of the natural world around them. This is an opinion.

Don't waste your time studying a largely obsolete -- and often offensive -- work of fiction. Live life, enjoy it, and be a good person.
    Also an opinion. How can you know its a waste of time? Have you ever tried it?

I know I will probably be a minority in this chat about this so Im not surprised, as its part of being a Christian. Most of the time you are in the minority, which is fine by me but please dont insult my beliefs is all I ask. I am just here trying to help others that might want the help in the truth and knowledge of Jesus Christ. So if you dont believe or dont wish to believe I would appreciate no harsh opinions in what I believe.
  • Options
    EvilRabbitEvilRabbit Posts: 286
    Janiece wrote:

I know I will probably be a minority in this chat about this so Im not surprised, as its part of being a Christian. Most of the time you are in the minority, which is fine by me but please dont insult my beliefs is all I ask. I am just here trying to help others that might want the help in the truth and knowledge of Jesus Christ. So if you dont believe or dont wish to believe I would appreciate no harsh opinions in what I believe.

You're right. It's an opinion. My opinion.

You also said you have the responsibility to speak the truth as you believe. Well so do I, and what I wrote I believe to be true... whether you like it or not.

Please don't be insulted and I apologize if it was harsh, but why is it that musical tastes, affections for sports teams etc. can be criticized but someone's religion cannot? Why is that? If I think you're religion is silly, in the context of a discussion on religion, why can't I point that out? Atheists get enough crap and they're just like you, only without the superstition.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    grazmangrazman Posts: 198
    Janiece wrote:

Well i cant get past the first few pages...God made man out of dust and then made woman by using adams rib (so we didnt evolve from apes then)...a talking snake...noah and his ark, how did he catch 2 snow leopards, it took David Attenborough 5 years to find one of those...how come all the freshwater fish survived....too many questions, too many gaping holes in my opinion to be even considered true. Darwinism i totally understand and how all life on earth evolved from single celled organisms billions of years ago and everything fits, the bible is a work of fiction in my opinion. However, where the universe came from, the stars, time etc, i'm open to anything on that including a God.
    It's Evolution, Baby!
  • Options
    jubilairesjljubilairesjl Posts: 497
    I am proud of him too...
    Noblesville 6/22/2003 St. Louis 5/4/2010 East Troy 9/4/2011
    Cleveland 5/20/2006 Columbus 5/6/2010 Chicago 7/19/2013
    Cincinnatti 6/24/2006 Noblesville 5/7/2010. Buffalo 10/12/2013
    Lollapalooza 8/5/2007 Mountain View 10/23/2010 Cincinnatti 10/1/2014
    Washington D.C. 6/22/2008 Mountain View 10/24/2010 St. Louis 10/3/2014
    Chicago 8/22/2008(EV Solo) St. Louis 7/1/2011 (EV Solo) St. Paul 10/19/2014
    Kansas City 5/3/2010 East Troy 9/3/2011 Milwaukee 10/20/2014
    Hampton 4/18/2016 Columbia 4/21/2016 Lexington 4/26/2016