Options

Eddie Vedder is an Atheist...and I'm proud of him.

The Long RoadThe Long Road Posts: 183
edited July 2008 in The Porch
This is from wikipedia in regards to eddie's religious beliefs. And I agree with this statement 100%. How many people have died and will die in this world in the name of Religion? My two friends would still be alive and working in the World Trade Center right now, if it weren't for religion playing such a major part in the destruction caused on 9/11. There is nothing wrong with being an atheist. Some people believe in God....and some don't.

[edit] Religion
Eddie Vedder is an atheist. There have been several instances in which Vedder has made athiest statements. At a concert in July 1998, he stated, "I would thank God, but I don't believe in it."[45] When asked in a 1998 interview about his feelings on God, Vedder responded:

"I think it's like a movie that was way too popular. It's a story that's been told too many times and just doesn't mean anything. Man lived on the planet -- [placing his fingers an inch apart], this is 5000 years of semi-recorded history. And God and the Bible, that came in somewhere around the middle, maybe 2000. This is the last 2000, this is what we're about to celebrate [indicating about an 1/8th of an inch with his fingers]. Now, humans, in some shape or form, have been on the Earth for three million years [pointing across the room to indicate the distance]. So, all this time, from there [gesturing toward the other side of the room], to here [indicating the 1/8th of an inch], there was no God, there was no story, there was no myth and people lived on this planet and they wandered and they gathered and they did all these things. The planet was never threatened. How did they survive for all this time without this belief in God? I'd like to ask this to someone who knows about Christianity and maybe you do. That just seems funny to me."[46]
"All the rusted signs we ignore throughout our lives"--Ed
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    This is from wikipedia in regards to eddie's religious beliefs. And I agree with this statement 100%. How many people have died and will die in this world in the name of Religion? My two friends would still be alive and working in the World Trade Center right now, if it weren't for religion playing such a major part in the destruction caused on 9/11. There is nothing wrong with being an atheist. Some people believe in God....and some don't.

[edit] Religion
    Eddie Vedder is an atheist. There have been several instances in which Vedder has made athiest statements. At a concert in July 1998, he stated, "I would thank God, but I don't believe in it."[45] When asked in a 1998 interview about his feelings on God, Vedder responded:

"I think it's like a movie that was way too popular. It's a story that's been told too many times and just doesn't mean anything. Man lived on the planet -- [placing his fingers an inch apart], this is 5000 years of semi-recorded history. And God and the Bible, that came in somewhere around the middle, maybe 2000. This is the last 2000, this is what we're about to celebrate [indicating about an 1/8th of an inch with his fingers]. Now, humans, in some shape or form, have been on the Earth for three million years [pointing across the room to indicate the distance]. So, all this time, from there [gesturing toward the other side of the room], to here [indicating the 1/8th of an inch], there was no God, there was no story, there was no myth and people lived on this planet and they wandered and they gathered and they did all these things. The planet was never threatened. How did they survive for all this time without this belief in God? I'd like to ask this to someone who knows about Christianity and maybe you do. That just seems funny to me."[46]

I personally don't care what anyone believes, or dis-believes, just believe in something...believe in yourself...
  • Options
    bootlegger10bootlegger10 Posts: 15,547
    super duper
  • Options
    I personally don't care what anyone believes, or dis-believes, just believe in something...believe in yourself...

Can I believe in you?
  • Options
    binauralsoundsbinauralsounds Posts: 1,357
    zzzzzzzzzzz
  • Options
    EvilRabbitEvilRabbit Posts: 286
    I'm an atheist too and I'm right there with you.

But some of the less evolved on here are literally going to go ape-shit.
    Are you a screenwriter?
    www.screenplaymechanic.com
  • Options
    EvilRabbit wrote:
    I'm an atheist too and I'm right there with you.

But some of the less evolved on here are literally going to go ape-shit.

Ah, the something from nothing crowd feeling all high and mighty, eh?
  • Options
    Can I believe in you?

Hahahahahaha. Of course...for a small monthly fee...
  • Options
    GmoneyGmoney Posts: 1,618
    eddie is faithful
    Further back and forth a wave will break on me, today...
  • Options
    Hahahahahaha. Of course...for a small monthly fee...

Great Odin's raven! We have ourselves a deal. I'm going to the boats tonight, I better catch some cards.
  • Options
    Great Odin's raven! We have ourselves a deal. I'm going to the boats tonight, I better catch some cards.

Greast Odin's raven!!! Let's start the Church of Ron Burgundy. I'd love to read THAT bible...
  • Options
    corduroidcorduroid Posts: 293
    I follow the sun :)
  • Options
    Greast Odin's raven!!! Let's start the Church of Ron Burgundy. I'd love to read THAT bible...

I have a coworker who quotes Burgundy all day. Never gets old.
  • Options
    I have a coworker who quotes Burgundy all day. Never gets old.

It really doesn't. It's the pleats...I'm taking them back to the pants store...
  • Options
    AnonAnon Posts: 11,175
    Gmoney wrote:
    eddie is faithful

no, eddie is faithfull
  • Options
    How many people have died and will die in this world in the name of Religion? My two friends would still be alive and working in the World Trade Center right now, if it weren't for religion playing such a major part in the destruction caused on 9/11. There is nothing wrong with being an atheist. Some people believe in God....and some don't.

Yeah, everyone have to be free to believe or not. Personally I think that there is a god, but he-she-it's not like a naked Santa Klaus...it's like a principle of all things, an energy...something like that...anyway you're wrong when you say your friends (rip) died for religion causes, that's what they want you believe, but behind it's the same old story, power and money.
    Have a nice day
    FREE THE WEST MEMPHIS 3
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    i just think there's got to be something up there. maybe not "God" per-say, or anything that any religion describes. but for us to be here and for the universe to even have ever been created, there has to be some higher power or superior energy. and Eddie has said that in numerous instances as well. thinking about how the universe ever came to be is just impossible .. how time and space began .. fuck.. i mean, something has to be out there.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    TrixieCatTrixieCat Posts: 5,756
    I don't believe in wikipedia.
    What does that make me?
    A pediest?

I am proud of him for the social change he has tried to make regardless of the grief he may receive from fans of his music, not his religious disbelief.
    Cause I'm broken when I'm lonesome
    And I don't feel right when you're gone away
  • Options
    muppetmuppet Posts: 980
    I've been reading a lot of Richard Dawkins, who's probably most famous for his book The God Delusion. I don't fully agree with him all the time, and at the end of the day he's a bit of a douchebag, but it's an interesting read.
  • Options
    i just think there's got to be something up there. maybe not "God" per-say, or anything that any religion describes. but for us to be here and for the universe to even have ever been created, there has to be some higher power or superior energy. and Eddie has said that in numerous instances as well. thinking about how the universe ever came to be is just impossible .. how time and space began .. fuck.. i mean, something has to be out there.

That is where the Atheist and religious argument converge. At some point there had to have been a beginning. Neither side can show for fact they are correct.
  • Options
    Like the bible though, Ed contradicts himself more than often. The guy is spiritual, he just doesn't buy into the standardized God and Bible routine. I do not either but I have a perspective about all things connected just the same. I say do what you do and it is what it is.
  • Options
    Bathgate66Bathgate66 Posts: 15,813
    Ed also says every night , they are going to break the curfew and play all night,..( not the song )

Maybe he made a remark once, ( about no god )

but exactly who is Ed referring to in Marker In The Sand, when he says

God, what do you say? What do you say?

Calling out,......... Calling out.
    Calling out,......... I'm calling you out.
    For the ones who had a notion, a notion deep inside
    That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive
    platessmall.jpg
    ORGAN DONATION SAVES LIVES
    http://www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • Options
    muppet wrote:
    I've been reading a lot of Richard Dawkins, who's probably most famous for his book The God Delusion. I don't fully agree with him all the time, and at the end of the day he's a bit of a douchebag, but it's an interesting read.

The "End of Reason" by Ravi Zacharias is a good book that counteracts the famous atheism books. You might like it.
  • Options
    is belief in the game, controls that
    keeps us in a box of fear
    we ever linger
    voice inside
    so
    drown now
    drown you are
    you are a furry thing.... gotta love that song!
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    DiRtyFranK38DiRtyFranK38 Posts: 3,131
    That is where the Atheist and religious argument converge. At some point there had to have been a beginning. Neither side can show for fact they are correct.

exactly .. and that's what just leaves us to ponder on our own. we'll never know the truth .. until maybe after we die. that's whole other story.

Like the bible though, Ed contradicts himself more than often. The guy is spiritual, he just doesn't buy into the standardized God and Bible routine. I do not either but I have a perspective about all things connected just the same. I say do what you do and it is what it is.

i agree. i think ed is a bit unsure about his opinion on God and religion and is just trying to not focus on it, but focus on being a good person and making a difference in the life he knows he is living. kind of what faithful is about.

Bathgate66 wrote:
    Ed also says every night , they are going to break the curfew and play all night,..( not the song )

Maybe he made a remark once, ( about no god )

but exactly who is Ed referring to in Marker In The Sand, when he says

God, what do you say? What do you say?

Calling out,......... Calling out.
    Calling out,......... I'm calling you out.

lets not forget also in the iconoclasts show with laird hamilton, that surfing show ed was on, when he saw the beutiful land he said something like "now it's things like this that give me hope that God actually does exist."

and in the garden 03 dvd after they play either wishlist or faithful, i forget, but ed trys to tell them something about belief and all that, but then says something like "well a belief in something greater, that's all i'm trying to say."

ed is a spiritual guy. his opinions are just as unsure as lots of us. he is not an atheist. he is undecided.
    2006: Hartford
    2008: MSG 1, Hartford, Mansfield 2, Ed Solo NYC 1
    2009: London (O2), Philly 1, 2, 3, & 4
    2010: Hartford, Boston, MSG 1 & 2
    2011: Ed Solo Hartford
    2012: Philly (MIA Fest)
    2013: Worcester 2, Brooklyn 1 & 2, Hartford
  • Options
    In My DreamsIn My Dreams Posts: 299
    He made a reference to God, "So help me God" in Story Tellers.

Hey, I'm atheist too and also feel more comfortable around like minded people. I wonder if Eddie is changing his mind about it.
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    smithnicsmithnic Posts: 1,559
    Again, Wikipedia and everyone here is taking his stage banter as truth. He is PERFORMING and his stage banter is just banter, not to be taken as any semblance of truth whatsoever.

Who gives a shit what he believes in??

And now a quote from Larry David:

"If you believe that god talks to you, you should be locked up like the Son of Sam"
    Go Get 'Em Tigers!
  • Options
    In My DreamsIn My Dreams Posts: 299
    smithnic wrote:

And now a quote from Larry David:

"If you believe that god talks to you, you should be locked up like the Son of Sam"

Good one! :)
    A real possibility I may meet you in my dreams ~ I go to sleep
  • Options
    Good one! :)
    I love your Rush tag...cool!
    "The answers are fatal..."

"My lips are shakin'....

"And Love,...Wish the world would go again with Love
    One can't seem to have enough."

www.myspace.com/jenlovespearljam
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    LIES!!! Given To Fly is about god!!!! Ed is no atheist!
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09
  • Options
    perhaps we should all concern ourselves with what WE believe in and not what others do...