Options

Christians and Homosexuality

harmless_little_f***harmless_little_f*** Posts: 8,005
edited July 2006 in A Moving Train
Right, I'm a Christian. I was always 'taught' that a homosexual lifestyle is sinful. It's been getting my goat really recently, because, just suddenly, I'm starting to wonder why we think that as Christians. Because not all of us do. And, well, I've forgotten why I once did, as well.

If you 'do' go with this line of thinking, could you refresh my memory? Because at present, I'm sort of scratching my head.

If you 'do not' think that (i.e. if you're a Christian and for homosexuality, perhaps gay yourself) I'd love to have your opinion on why you are in the place you are theologically.

Please, no stating the obvious people. No crap like 'Adam and Eve, not Adam and Steve'. I know why I 'should' believe homosexuality is wrong. I just have my reasons as to whether I think it actually is in today's society. I can elaborate if anyone likes.
'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

- the great Sir Leo Harrison
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    brainofPJbrainofPJ Posts: 2,361
    does stating the obvious include other things written in the Bible as well?

Esther's here and she's sick?

hi Esther, now we are all going to be sick, thanks
  • Options
    NakedClownNakedClown Posts: 545
    Sounds like a version of the same question I've been asking in that other thread...
  • Options
    NakedClown wrote:
    Sounds like a version of the same question I've been asking in that other thread...

Perhaps. If so, I'm sorry. In the other thread, it's still assumed that homosexuality is a sin. My question is, 'why is it?' In the other thread, sure, you've said that this 'sin' is no worse than other 'sins' (of course, I agree). But I've been thinking: as long as we're saying homosexuality is a 'sin' at all, we're not truly embracing homosexuals as people. So this question is different. It is, nevertheless, inspired by your thread, because it made me think. ;)
    'We're learning songs for baby Jesus' birthday. His mum and dad were Merry and Joseph. He had a bed made of clay and the three kings bought him Gold, Frankenstein and Merv as presents.'

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    does stating the obvious include other things written in the Bible as well?

Not necessarily; if there's something you'd like to offer, I'd love for someone to jog my memory. :)

• Options
    But I've been thinking: as long as we're saying homosexuality is a 'sin' at all, we're not truly embracing homosexuals as people.

I'd have to disagree with this statement. Isn't it possible to to embrace a person eventhough you don't agree with their lifestyle? For example, let's say my dad is......whatever you can think of that's not great....... I may not like it, and know it's wrong, but I still embrace him as my dad and love him.
    I think A LOT of christians forget the part of still embracing and loving someone even when they disagree.
    East Troy Icebowl: October 2000
    Council Bluffs, IA: June 2003
    Las Vegas, NV: July 2006
    Lollapalooza, Chicago: August 2007
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    I know three Christian homosexuals.
  • Options
    NMyTreeNMyTree Posts: 2,412
    No one has to necessarily embrace anyone else, if they don't want to. Just don't discriminate.

Sure, it would be great if we all could embrace one another, all the time.

But that's probably unrealistic.

Live and let live.
  • Options
    I'd have to disagree with this statement. Isn't it possible to to embrace a person eventhough you don't agree with their lifestyle? For example, let's say my dad is......whatever you can think of that's not great....... I may not like it, and know it's wrong, but I still embrace him as my dad and love him.
    I think A LOT of christians forget the part of still embracing and loving someone even when they disagree.

OK, yes, you're right, I do agree. Perhaps I should put it differently: many homosexuals, if you told them 'I don't have to agree with what you do to accept you as a person', would say the above: 'Yes, but, if what I do is sinful, you haven't truly accepted me.' Just something I sometimes come up against as a Christian.

• Options
    DOSWDOSW Posts: 2,014
    I'm a Christian and my church (UCC) has no problem with homosexuality. Sinful homosexuality isn't a Christian belief... it's a belief of certain subdivisions of it. Just a little correction there.
    It's a town full of losers and I'm pulling out of here to win
  • Options
    NMyTree wrote:
    I know three Christian homosexuals.

I'd love to find out why they are in the place they are, despite what the church tells them all the time. I really don't know where I stand on it at all; I have my reasons.

• Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    I know why I 'should' believe homosexuality is wrong. I just have my reasons as to whether I think it actually is in today's society. I can elaborate if anyone likes.
    I would love to hear any elaboration.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    titefkatitefka Posts: 35
    Perhaps. If so, I'm sorry. In the other thread, it's still assumed that homosexuality is a sin. My question is, 'why is it?' In the other thread, sure, you've said that this 'sin' is no worse than other 'sins' (of course, I agree). But I've been thinking: as long as we're saying homosexuality is a 'sin' at all, we're not truly embracing homosexuals as people. So this question is different. It is, nevertheless, inspired by your thread, because it made me think. ;)

I've been discussing this topic recently with those religiuos fanatics and my favourite priest and I must say that this discussion wasn't ..hmm ..pleasant ..?It's a hard topic just like the abortion..
    Their arguments were totally unconvincing to me like "homosexual thoughts aren't a sin , but resisting to those thoughts+the worse - homosexuals acts ARE.I tried to convince them that homosexuals are normal and need some acceptance,that those people FEEL love to each other so how can christians deny true and pure love and feelings !They don't want to hear about it and why ? because such a view is inconvenient for them and knocks down this great wall which they create with such primitive consistency.Why primitive? Because they feel somehow that this view doesn't fit to a christian approach to life and other beings and they blindly stick to it because The Church says so - so it must be their view too.I wish them one thing ... a homosexual person within the most intimate environment like family or friends.Because it is easy to deny when they know really nothing about it.I would like to see such guy telling to his homosexual brother or sister "YOU NEED SOME TREATMENT" and have you heard what happens after such a treatment .? eh .I've always claimed that the Church isn't perfect in many aspects.I am a Christian but I have my own views on many things and sometimes those views differ a lot but I will never change my mind.
    www.myspace.com/titefka
  • Options
    Not necessarily; if there's something you'd like to offer, I'd love for someone to jog my memory. :)

there is something i would like to offer, but it just seems like this thread is doomed to turn ugly...

often referring to the Bible for answers turns many people away...even those in religions that should accept it as the word of god...either because of hypocrisy w/ its leaders, seeming contradictions, or the feeling that it is 'outdated'.

• Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    Yes, homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle.

Our humanity in general is a sinful lifestyle. The Bible states clearly that no man shall lie with a man as he shall with a woman. That's Scriptural. Now, whatever your opinion on the matter may be, that's in the Book we rely on for guidance.

Christians do NOT hate homosexual people (Contrary to what Fred Phelps might have to say--he is hardly a banner example of Christianity). Christians hate the act of homosexuality--just as much as we hate other sins.
  • Options
    angelica wrote:
    I would love to hear any elaboration.

Well my thinking started when it suddenly struck me: Leviticus. It totally condemns people with any physical blemish, or anyone disabled, being in the priesthood; and of course, most of the Bible reinforces the damaging rubbish that says if you're disabled, it's because of some sin you've done.

It isn't a sexual issue, granted. And I know there are still some morons who believe this. But what criteria do we use when picking and choosing what laws to still uphold in our day? Sexually, the Bible was explicitly against many sexual acts (and otherwise) we consider perfectly normal, and holy, now.

I'm not making a case, necessarily, just explaining what started me off finding all this interesting. I've found an essay online, which is very thought-provoking. Here's the link, maybe we could discuss it?

http://home.wanadoo.nl/inspiritus/Christian%20and%20Homosexual%20Gay%20or%20Lesbian.htm

• Options
    ConXConX Posts: 39
    Let Gays be Gay. What's the point in wasting time considering them sinners? And like the above poster said, much of the bible is anti-sex, which is rather stupid since sex is potentially a pleasurable and beautiful thing for those involved, regarless of their sexuality.....

:)
  • Options
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Yes, homosexuality is a sinful lifestyle.

Our humanity in general is a sinful lifestyle. The Bible states clearly that no man shall lie with a man as he shall with a woman. That's Scriptural. Now, whatever your opinion on the matter may be, that's in the Book we rely on for guidance.

Christians do NOT hate homosexual people (Contrary to what Fred Phelps might have to say--he is hardly a banner example of Christianity). Christians hate the act of homosexuality--just as much as we hate other sins.

As I said in the above post, the Bible also explicitly says that disability is punishment for sin, and it disallows anyone with any physical limitation access to leadership (priesthood). If I believed the Bible still condoned all that outdated nonsense, I wouldn't be a Christian.

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    there is something i would like to offer, but it just seems like this thread is doomed to turn ugly...

often referring to the Bible for answers turns many people away...even those in religions that should accept it as the word of god...either because of hypocrisy w/ its leaders, seeming contradictions, or the feeling that it is 'outdated'.

By all means, offer it. I am thick-skinned, and a Christian. We're all friends here. :) Any discussion here might be heated, but you won't hear me turning it 'ugly'.

• Options
    As I said in the above post, the Bible also explicitly says that disability is punishment for sin, and it disallows anyone with any physical limitation access to leadership (priesthood). If I believed the Bible still condoned all that outdated nonsense, I wouldn't be a Christian.

you'll have to refresh me on where the Bible says that. anyway, everyone allowed to become a priest is imperfect and thus disabled in some way.

• Options
    brainofPJ wrote:
    you'll have to refresh me on where the Bible says that. anyway, everyone allowed to become a priest is imperfect and thus disabled in some way.

I'll get that info to you when I get my hands on my Bible. It's too high up on the shelf right now, and my disabled self can't.... anyway ;)

My point was that in its cultural context, the Old Testament disallowed people with any afflictions or bodily disfunctions this privileged access to God. So whilst I like where you're coming from in your statement, it doesn't go against what these prohibitions meant in their own context.

• Options
    double post, sorry

• Options
    I'll get that info to you when I get my hands on my Bible. It's too high up on the shelf right now, and my disabled self can't.... anyway ;)

My point was that in its cultural context, the Old Testament disallowed people with any afflictions or bodily disfunctions this privileged access to God. So whilst I like where you're coming from in your statement, it doesn't go against what these prohibitions meant in their own context.

the Old Testament, that's right. even though Christians are not living under the Law today, it does give us insight into God's viewpoint on matters, and can and should affect the things we do.

• Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    NMyTree wrote:
    No one has to necessarily embrace anyone else, if they don't want to. Just don't discriminate.

Sure, it would be great if we all could embrace one another, all the time.

But that's probably unrealistic.

Live and let live.

exactly.
    believe how you see fit, just don't ever try to force your belief system on another...which also means trying to infringe on other's rights to fit within your personally held beliefs.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    well, i got to go...

but i would like to continue later harmless_little_f***...

hold it down.

• Options
    miller8966miller8966 Posts: 1,452
    the bible especially the new testament is a loving book..unlike the koran the bible is about spreading gods word through love and compassion for humans.
    America...the greatest Country in the world.
  • Options
    Well my thinking started when it suddenly struck me: Leviticus. It totally condemns people with any physical blemish, or anyone disabled, being in the priesthood; and of course, most of the Bible reinforces the damaging rubbish that says if you're disabled, it's because of some sin you've done.

It isn't a sexual issue, granted. And I know there are still some morons who believe this. But what criteria do we use when picking and choosing what laws to still uphold in our day? Sexually, the Bible was explicitly against many sexual acts (and otherwise) we consider perfectly normal, and holy, now.

I'm not making a case, necessarily, just explaining what started me off finding all this interesting. I've found an essay online, which is very thought-provoking. Here's the link, maybe we could discuss it?

http://home.wanadoo.nl/inspiritus/Christian%20and%20Homosexual%20Gay%20or%20Lesbian.htm
    Please bear with me--I'm reading your interesting link. I borrowed part of it for the other thread out here, since it was so appropriate. Thanks for sharing. :)
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

• Options
    Awesome stuff in that link:

"In a little-remembered statement, Jesus said, "Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?" (Luke 12:57 NRSV). Such sovereign freedom strikes terror in the hearts of many Christians; they would rather be under law and be told what is right. Yet Paul himself echoes Jesus' sentiment when he says, "Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, matters pertaining to this life!" (1 Cor. 6:3 RSV). The last thing Paul would want is for people to respond to his ethical advice as a new law engraved on tablets of stone. He is himself trying to "judge for himself what is right." If now new evidence is in on the phenomenon of homosexuality, are we not obligated--no, free--to re-evaluate the whole issue in the light of all the available data and decide what is right, under God, for ourselves? Is this not the radical freedom for obedience in which the gospel establishes us?"

(ed: bold added)

• Options
    angelica wrote:
    Awesome stuff in that link:

"In a little-remembered statement, Jesus said, "Why do you not judge for yourselves what is right?" (Luke 12:57 NRSV). Such sovereign freedom strikes terror in the hearts of many Christians; they would rather be under law and be told what is right. Yet Paul himself echoes Jesus' sentiment when he says, "Do you not know that we are to judge angels? How much more, matters pertaining to this life!" (1 Cor. 6:3 RSV). The last thing Paul would want is for people to respond to his ethical advice as a new law engraved on tablets of stone. He is himself trying to "judge for himself what is right." If now new evidence is in on the phenomenon of homosexuality, are we not obligated--no, free--to re-evaluate the whole issue in the light of all the available data and decide what is right, under God, for ourselves? Is this not the radical freedom for obedience in which the gospel establishes us?"

(ed: bold added)

This is indeed an exciting quote. I don't know, all this is making me think, is all.

• Options
    Another one highly relevent in this day and age where we battle with our egos, while Spirit waits patiently for our free will acknowledgement:

"Rather than tearing at each others's throats, therefore, we should humbly admit our limitations. How do I know I am correctly interpreting God's word for us today? How do you? Wouldn't it be wiser for Christians to lower the decibels by 95 percent and quietly present our beliefs, knowing full well that we might be wrong?"

• Options
    This is indeed an exciting quote. I don't know, all this is making me think, is all.
    Each day, I am surprised by what I learn, merely by being open to expansion through Love.

"When we're green we grow, when we're ripe we rot."

:)