Options

I pity Religous People

Comments

• Options
    haha, my friend in i were in kash n karry today and we got "recruited" by some lady. somehow we got on the topic of his grandma asking if he goes to church and the lady behind us piped in " YOU SHOULD COME TO CALVARY". "Nope." he said, "ive already tried it many times". the lady insisted " BUT CALVARY IS DIFFERENT". god i wish that lady would have shut up so we could have done our mentos and diet coke thing sooner.

GOD DAMN HER!
    An ounce of deception
    Kills a pound of pain
  • Options
    EvilToasterElfEvilToasterElf Posts: 1,119
    don't lump good people in with maniacs like that.

but don't pretend that some of the worst acts humanity has ever committed weren't in the name of christ either...

but, again, don't forget that the maniacle kings and such were reponsible, not jesus..

bleh. :rolleyes:

The phrase kill them all and let God sort them out originated from the pope during the Spanish Inquisition...

so maniacs are everywhere
  • Options
    keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I'm no big fan of christianity, but that Jesus was pretty cool...

My vote for best post of the thread.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • Options
    People’s ignorance (i.e., killing others in the name of God, force feeding others a belief system) proves that the true biblical religion is true.
    The religion of the bible shows mans holiness and wretchedness.
    The bible is the only religious book that shows both good and bad in man.
    Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
    Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    People’s ignorance (i.e., killing others in the name of God, force feeding others a belief system) proves that the true biblical religion is true.
    The religion of the bible shows mans holiness and wretchedness.
    The bible is the only religious book that shows both good and bad in man.

have you actually read the qur'an or any other book to base this assumption on? i haven't read ANY cover to cover, so i am not saying i have any answers in this regard, i am merely posing a Q. however, it is my understanding that MANY, if not most, of the world's religions do in fact encompass both the good and the bad of humanity.

believe as you will, and respect others to make that same individual choice for themselves. that's my philosophy....and since we have no *proof* of any one belief being 'right' or 'wrong'...just seems the sensible way.....live and let live, believe - or not, as you sit fit. if you believe YOUR faith is the 'right' one and all else are wrong...well good on you, many others i am sure think the same of THEIR faith...and it's all good...until people FORCE their views on others.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    Yeah but who pities Mr. T? Laurence Tureaud? The B.A. Baracus himself?

Can anyone answer that one for me?....haha! :D

click if you dare:
    http://www.geocities.com/nkpatel/mrt/

Shrine gallery:
    http://www.ateamshrine.co.uk/gallery.php
  • Options
    I cannot say with 100% assuredness, but I have read Pascal’s Pensee, and listened to various speakers on the subject. If I’m wrong “cool” let me know that’s why I like this forum:)
    Can't you see that there's light in the dark.
    Nothing's quite what it seems in the city of dreams.
    (Wolfmother)
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grand Rapids 2006
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745
    If done right, this gets my vote as one of the most hilarious soundboards your stomach can handle :D

http://www.angelfire.com/weird/monkeys/mrt.html
  • Options
    dkst0426dkst0426 Posts: 523
    Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit odd that a topic about pitying "godless" people gets shut down, but this one is allowed to go on. I know there are reasons. It just strikes me as odd.
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    dkst0426 wrote:
    Maybe it's just me, but I think it's a bit odd that a topic about pitying "godless" people gets shut down, but this one is allowed to go on. I know there are reasons. It just strikes me as odd.

i do not believe it is the actual topic, but the manner of posting that does, or does not, get a thread locked. honestly, i think we as a group could talk about just ANY topic here, within reason, and it would be allowed to continue endlessly, as long as all expressed their views in a respectful manner. it really is that simple. that's ALL it's about. s

haring ideas without resorting to the insults, the petty name-calling, etc...that seems rampant as of late. it's a shame. so yes, i think that other thread managed to degrade to that level...thus, locked. so really not so 'odd' at all. first 3 or 4 guidelines of posting here...all about respect. so yes, i think it's taken very seriously.

god or godless...i think we all could manage to be a lot more tolerant of opposing/different views...and i certainly don't just mean in this little corner of cyberspace. sadly, we just seem a very small reflection of all of *that* occuring out in the world.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    i do not believe it is the actual topic, but the manner of posting that does, or does not, get a thread locked. honestly, i think we as a group could talk about just ANY topic here, within reason, and it would be allowed to continue endlessly, as long as all expressed their views in a respectful manner. it really is that simple. that's ALL it's about. s

haring ideas without resorting to the insults, the petty name-calling, etc...that seems rampant as of late. it's a shame. so yes, i think that other thread managed to degrade to that level...thus, locked. so really not so 'odd' at all. first 3 or 4 guidelines of posting here...all about respect. so yes, i think it's taken very seriously.

god or godless...i think we all could manage to be a lot more tolerant of opposing/different views...and i certainly don't just mean in this little corner of cyberspace. sadly, we just seem a very small reflection of all of *that* occuring out in the world.
    Unfortunately, I think it's the way the board is run by those in charge. They have their biases. There's seems to be a lot of leeway for disrespectful, name calling anti-religion posts.
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    surferdude wrote:
    There's seems to be a lot of leeway for disrespectful, name calling anti-religion posts.
    I personally think the other "I pity" thread was shut down due to the rampant insults against religion and it's concepts. I felt the degradation was quite harsh towards spiritual/religious issues in that one.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    surferdude wrote:
    Unfortunately, I think it's the way the board is run by those in charge. They have their biases. There's seems to be a lot of leeway for disrespectful, name calling anti-religion posts.

Yeah same could be said for anti-American/anti-Israel than as well and I do not believe that the mods are biased that way....they try their best to promote discussion regardless if they are for/against the topic at hand..they just have to jump in sometimes and punish the fools who go overboard...regardless of which side they are on....
  • Options
    floyd1975floyd1975 Posts: 1,350
    Not all religous people, just the ones that total player haters to any other belief that isn't thier religous belief. The ones that believe that thier religous rules should be law. The ones who are constantly trying to "recruit" new members.

As much as you want to, you cann't choose your beliefs. So saying you pity people for not believeing in god is almost like saying you pity people for begin a different race. the person cann't do anything about it. You cann't say to a person, "believe in god" and the other person will. This narrow-mindedness is the entire reason I pity you.

This post made me laugh a lot.
  • Options
    PJfanFORlifePJfanFORlife Posts: 138
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pity

Pity is an emotion, usually resulting from an encounter with an unfortunate, injured, or pathetic person or creature. A person experiencing pity will often take mercy on the person/creature, giving them aid or money. Many people pity the homeless, orphans, the terminally ill, and victims of rape and torture.

Because pity will result in people aiding the pitiful, most people consider it a positive thing. Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, however, believed that pity causes an otherwise normal person to feel the suffering of others; "Pity makes suffering contagious," he says in The Antichrist. He felt that it is important not to make oneself feel superior to the person you are taking pity on. This imbalance could result in retaliation against the help. People value their sense of pride, and pity can negatively affect the situation.

Often, the word is used alone in speaking to refer to something unfortunate. The full sentence is "It's a pity," but saying the word alone (as in "Pity.") conveys the same idea as the sentence.
    Guess I'll trn on music instead...

ccfa.org

http://organicconsumers.com/
  • Options
    ruudruud Posts: 34
    Milestone wrote:
    Not really. Athiests don't preach their beliefs, or take over countries and kill people because people don't think the same way.

It's not like I go to Athiest meetings or anything. It's just a word that means that I don't believe in God, Heaven, or Hell.

I think there are a large number of people who believe this way, but it's not really important, because we don't care.

Thank you for these lines ... " because we dont care" its all true.
    "If everyone demanded peace instead of another television set, then there'd be peace." John Lennon

My god its been so long, never dreamed you'd return, but now here you are, and here i am.
  • Options
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pity

Pity is an emotion, usually resulting from an encounter with an unfortunate, injured, or pathetic person or creature. A person experiencing pity will often take mercy on the person/creature, giving them aid or money. Many people pity the homeless, orphans, the terminally ill, and victims of rape and torture.

Because pity will result in people aiding the pitiful, most people consider it a positive thing. Philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche, however, believed that pity causes an otherwise normal person to feel the suffering of others; "Pity makes suffering contagious," he says in The Antichrist. He felt that it is important not to make oneself feel superior to the person you are taking pity on. This imbalance could result in retaliation against the help. People value their sense of pride, and pity can negatively affect the situation.

Often, the word is used alone in speaking to refer to something unfortunate. The full sentence is "It's a pity," but saying the word alone (as in "Pity.") conveys the same idea as the sentence.

whats your point? did you read the origianl post?
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    yotan18 wrote:
    i disagree, but very much respect your opinion. in our religion, we believe there is only one true religion... ours. and we ask people to try and hear our religions teachings, in the hopes that they be enlightened. but we don't force it in their mouths. they CAN say "no", anytime.

religion is not just a product. i its a belief. and how can you make someone believe if they don't know anything about it. so we ask them, if they would like to attend our worship service. if after they attend, and they are not intrested, then they have their choice, but as members, we have done our part.

:)

You didn't have a choice on your religion..it was chosen for you.....due to your geographic location, parents, community etc. If the sterm and egg from which you were created was concieved in Iraq you'd be Muslim. Imagine your god intentionally creates what 80%(Okay I'm pulling this number out of the sky) of his children to never be a Christian...and they will burn for eternity in hell. Make sense??? Not to me.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    callen wrote:
    You didn't have a choice on your religion..it was chosen for you.....due to your geographic location, parents, community etc. If the sterm and egg from which you were created was concieved in Iraq you'd be Muslim. Imagine your god intentionally creates what 80%(Okay I'm pulling this number out of the sky) of his children to never be a Christian...and they will burn for eternity in hell. Make sense??? Not to me.
    Oh cmon, if he was born in Iraq he could be a christian still, he just wouldn't be in large numbers, right? :rolleyes:

There are so many things that to agnostics and atheists completely derail organized religions, but any truly religious person is just going to believe what they want and what they were brought up to believe anyway, so I say just Let It Be.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    callencallen Posts: 6,388
    Oh cmon, if he was born in Iraq he could be a christian still, he just wouldn't be in large numbers, right? :rolleyes:

There are so many things that to agnostics and atheists completely derail organized religions, but any truly religious person is just going to believe what they want and what they were brought up to believe anyway, so I say just Let It Be.

I just can't help it.... It's Just so HAAAARRRRRDD. (-: I'll try though..thanks for the support and guidance.
    10-18-2000 Houston, 04-06-2003 Houston, 6-25-2003 Toronto, 10-8-2004 Kissimmee, 9-4-2005 Calgary, 12-3-05 Sao Paulo, 7-2-2006 Denver, 7-22-06 Gorge, 7-23-2006 Gorge, 9-13-2006 Bern, 6-22-2008 DC, 6-24-2008 MSG, 6-25-2008 MSG
  • Options
    Not all religous people, just the ones that total player haters to any other belief that isn't thier religous belief. The ones that believe that thier religous rules should be law. The ones who are constantly trying to "recruit" new members.

As much as you want to, you cann't choose your beliefs. So saying you pity people for not believeing in god is almost like saying you pity people for begin a different race. the person cann't do anything about it. You cann't say to a person, "believe in god" and the other person will. This narrow-mindedness is the entire reason I pity you.
    I haven't read any posts on this thread so someone may have already brought this up, but something I read in the Relix article recently that made a lot of sense to me was this -

"It's said that religion is for people who are afraid to go to hell and spirituality is for people who have gone there and lived to tell. If that's the case, then Mike McCready is a humble spirit living in the material world."

I think that puts a lot of perspective on religion / spirituality.
  • Options
    I am representing a lot today:

"Of all the religions, the best religion is to repeat God's Name and to do pious deeds. Of all the religious rites, the best rite is to remove the filth of evil intellect by association with the saints." (Guru Arjan Dev, Ashtpadi, pg. 266)

:p

(i wonder if that fits)
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    AhnimusAhnimus Posts: 10,569
    I am representing a lot today:

"Of all the religions, the best religion is to repeat God's Name and to do pious deeds. Of all the religious rites, the best rite is to remove the filth of evil intellect by association with the saints." (Guru Arjan Dev, Ashtpadi, pg. 266)

:p

(i wonder if that fits)

Repeat gods name? Why don't people call him YHVH or Yahweh or Jehovah or יהוה?
    I necessarily have the passion for writing this, and you have the passion for condemning me; both of us are equally fools, equally the toys of destiny. Your nature is to do harm, mine is to love truth, and to make it public in spite of you. - Voltaire
  • Options
    Ahnimus wrote:
    Repeat gods name? Why don't people call him YHVH or Yahweh or Jehovah or יהוה?
    I was expecting that...I think its just more of a "feeling." Moreso than a "verbal" image of some sorts?

A feeling of peace or quiet- perhaps a meditation to focus on the more important stuff. Well, thats my take on it.

:D
    So maybe call her/him whatever you want.....its mostly about the universal representations. Thats the problem...owning up to this monopoly of what's really "pure."
    Rarghstarfarian.
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    callen wrote:

^^^ that's why i consider myself lucky. and that is why we ARE spreading our faith. but not by physical means, but by preaching. :)
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    brain of cbrain of c Posts: 5,213
    i pity inanomous objects.
  • Options
    Player haters?! As in people who hate cheaters?
    A restaurant with a smoking section is like a swimming pool with a pissing section
  • Options
    SongburstSongburst Posts: 1,195
    cornnifer wrote:
    I can't say it enough. Those who think faith is responsible for all the worlds atrocities really need to wake the fuck up, open their eyes and see things from a not prejudiced view. I could care less if you believe in God, but stop blaming everything that is wrong in the world on those of us who do. Its weak and fucking pathetic. Holy shit, you people kill me. You're right. Atheists do no wrong and Christians and other people of faith do all the killing. I wonder how often Pol fucking Pot went to church or prayed. Sheesh. I wish people would shut the hell up with this stupid shit.

I can't believe nobody replied to this yet. You are pretty jaded if you think that athiests cause as much shit as Christians (or the faithful) do. All you have to do is look at all of the killing that has taken place in the name of Christ vs the number of killings performed by "crazy" athiests. Here is a little insight for you: To this day, you are hard pressed to find more devoted Christians than German Baptists. If you can name anybody (group or person) with an athiest point of view who were responsible for as many murders as the Germans were in WW2, I'll concede the greatness of Christianity. Just to let you know, the Germans carried out their WW2 plans in the name of the God. They even had God With Us embroidered on their uniforms. I'm sure that God was swelling with pride over that little commercial for Christianity. Ah well. Believe what your parents told you to. I'm sure that they are right.
    1/12/1879, 4/8/1156, 2/6/1977, who gives a shit, ...
  • Options
    total double post:

http://www.collegehumor.com/movies/1634157/

but so well worth it.