Options

I pity Religous People

LanceUppercutLanceUppercut Posts: 61
edited August 2006 in A Moving Train
Not all religous people, just the ones that total player haters to any other belief that isn't thier religous belief. The ones that believe that thier religous rules should be law. The ones who are constantly trying to "recruit" new members.

As much as you want to, you cann't choose your beliefs. So saying you pity people for not believeing in god is almost like saying you pity people for begin a different race. the person cann't do anything about it. You cann't say to a person, "believe in god" and the other person will. This narrow-mindedness is the entire reason I pity you.
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Options
    surferdudesurferdude Posts: 2,057
    Not all religous people, just the ones that total player haters to any other belief that isn't thier religous belief. The ones that believe that thier religous rules should be law. The ones who are constantly trying to "recruit" new members.

As much as you want to, you cann't choose your beliefs. So saying you pity people for not believeing in god is almost like saying you pity people for begin a different race. the person cann't do anything about it. You cann't say to a person, "believe in god" and the other person will. This narrow-mindedness is the entire reason I pity you.
    Do you really think there's a need for this thread?
    “One good thing about music,
    when it hits you, you feel to pain.
    So brutalize me with music.”
    ~ Bob Marley
  • Options
    MilestoneMilestone Posts: 1,126
    Here's how I see it. If you have to try and 'recruit' people to your religion, then your religion sucks. It should be able to 'sell' itself.

That being said, I'm athiest....but believe in the golden rule. It's gotten me this far.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Milestone wrote:
    Here's how I see it. If you have to try and 'recruit' people to your religion, then your religion sucks. It should be able to 'sell' itself.

That being said, I'm athiest....but believe in the golden rule. It's gotten me this far.

So the comparatively small number of athiests should tell you something about that line of thinking based upon your argument above.
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    surferdude wrote:
    Do you really think there's a need for this thread?
    nope.

but still..

amen.
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    sourdoughsourdough Posts: 579
    I'd like to remind you of the role religious people play in our society ranging from soup kitchens, food banks, charitable drives etc... The christian organizations exceed atheist groups, so before you start bashing, maybe we should be thinaking them until someone else is going to step up to the plate.
  • Options
    "Pity for the guilty is treason to the innocent" - Ayn Rand
  • Options
    know1 wrote:
    So the comparatively small number of athiests should tell you something about that line of thinking based upon your argument above.

Not really. Athiests don't preach their beliefs, or take over countries and kill people because people don't think the same way.

It's not like I go to Athiest meetings or anything. It's just a word that means that I don't believe in God, Heaven, or Hell.

I think there are a large number of people who believe this way, but it's not really important, because we don't care.
    11-2-2000 Portland. 12-8-2002 Seattle. 4-18-2003 Nashville. 5-30-2003 Vancouver. 10-25-2003 Bridge School. 9-2-2005 Vancouver.
    7-6-2006 Las Vegas. 7-20-2006 Portland. 7-22-2006 Gorge. 9-21-2009 Seattle. 9-22-2009 Seattle. 9-26-2009 Ridgefield. 9-25-2011 Vancouver.
    11-29-2013 Portland. 10-16-2014 Detroit. 8-8-2018 Seattle. 8-10-2018 Seattle. 8-13-2018 Missoula.  5-10-2024 Portland.  5-30-2024 Seattle.
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    I'd like to remind you of the role religious people play in our society ranging from soup kitchens, food banks, charitable drives etc... The christian organizations exceed atheist groups, so before you start bashing, maybe we should be thinaking them until someone else is going to step up to the plate.
    yeah because only religious people do charitable things...?

There are a lot of really great people who are religious. And there are equally as many non-religious people who help others..

That was a really stupid thing to say, and brings to light that "holier than thou" mentality that the original post was condeming.

Besides that, he wasn't talking about the good people who happen to be religious, he made that very clear.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:

I don't know why people believe that there is an official 'athiest' group. We just simply don't practice a religion.

In regards to charitable examples, I'm really glad that christians are doing those. It is a small step in making up for all the other atrocities christians have committed over the course of history.
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    What bugs me is the intolerance people show to different groups...this applies to everyone...religion is personal in my opinion...be it your an atheist, Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, gnostic,etc.

One should never preach their religion to others about what is inherently right or wrong...everyone should respect each for what they believe in and in turn those with very strong beliefs should have the respect to those who do not belief in what they do....religion is a spiritual aspect of humanity that no one can prove within our realm of reality...hence why it is a belief...its not something we can prove through the material realm or with physical evidence....its spiritual so essentially it embodies indvidualism...you are what you are....if someones beliefs in one God are different than the other persons gods there should be no right or wrong....my point keep your preaching to yourself...if someone wants to hear it they will ask...do not force your beliefs upon others cause there is nothing to prove who is right and wrong....mutual respect is needed....in turn many people have died in the name of religion but that came as an effect of forcing and not willing to accept different spiritual beliefs....in esscence religion itself hs not caused millions of deaths...its the intolerant involed with religion using it as a control that has led to millions of deaths...those who truly value their beliefs and respect those of others would never kill in the name of their belief....
  • Options
    even flow?even flow? Posts: 8,066
    Why should we pity anybody at all? Unless they are truly pure and innocent is there really a need to?
    You've changed your place in this world!
  • Options
    even flow? wrote:
    Why should we pity anybody at all? Unless they are truly pure and innocent is there really a need to?

This is the best post in either of these threads.
  • Options
    yeah because only religious people do charitable things...?

There are a lot of really great people who are religious. And there are equally as many non-religious people who help others..

That was a really stupid thing to say, and brings to light that "holier than thou" mentality that the original post was condeming.

Besides that, he wasn't talking about the good people who happen to be religious, he made that very clear.

I'm not saying that atheists don't do charitable things, I'm saying that Christians are leading the way. I say this as an atheist myself. If you look at who is running the soup kitchen and the food bank and such services, it is usually a church affiliate.

I am NOT a christian, but I give credit, where credit is due.
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:

In regards to charitable examples, I'm really glad that christians are doing those. It is a small step in making up for all the other atrocities christians have committed over the course of history.
    don't lump good people in with maniacs like that.

but don't pretend that some of the worst acts humanity has ever committed weren't in the name of christ either...

but, again, don't forget that the maniacle kings and such were reponsible, not jesus..

bleh. :rolleyes:

"Make our day"
  • Options
    don't lump good people in with maniacs like that.

but don't pretend that some of the worst acts humanity has ever committed weren't in the name of christ either...

You're right. The rest of the worst acts of humanity were committed by other religions.

but, again, don't forget that the maniacle kings and such were reponsible, not jesus..

Yeah.....all the kings that sought advice from the Pope and other highly ranked religious leaders.
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:

Yeah.....all the kings that sought advice from the Pope and other highly ranked religious leaders.
    yeah i know, i said don't blame jesus :p

I'm no big fan of christianity, but that Jesus was pretty cool...

"Make our day"
  • Options
    MCGMCG Posts: 780
    Not all religous people, just the ones that total player haters

HAHAHAHAHA! I hate religous player haters too. :D
    Which came first,
    the bad idea or me befallen by it?
  • Options
    Milestone wrote:
    I don't know why people believe that there is an official 'athiest' group. We just simply don't practice a religion.

Yeah, having an official 'atheists club' would make it sort of resemble...
    A religion...;)
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    know1know1 Posts: 6,763
    Christian by Maya Angelou

When I say... "I am a Christian"
    I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin."
    I'm whispering "I was lost,"
    Now I'm found and forgiven.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
    I don't speak of this with pride.
    I'm confessing that I stumble
    and need CHRIST to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
    I'm professing that I'm weak
    and need HIS strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
    I'm admitting I have failed
    and need God to clean my mess.

I'm not claiming to be perfect,
    My flaws are far too visible
    but, God believes I am worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain,
    I have my share of heartaches
    So I call upon His name.

I'm not holier than thou,
    I'm just a simple sinner
    who received God's good grace, somehow.

~Maya Angelou~
    The only people we should try to get even with...
    ...are those who've helped us.

Right 'round the corner could be bigger than ourselves.
  • Options
    Maybe we should have a club. With retreats, and outreach programs! Then we could open soup kitchens and spread our emancipation of religion with others! Brilliant!
  • Options
    sourdough wrote:
    Maybe we should have a club. With retreats, and outreach programs! Then we could open soup kitchens and spread our emancipation of religion with others! Brilliant!

Am I the only one who finds it hard to detect sarcasm in written form sometimes? :D
    Smokey Robinson constantly looks like he's trying to act natural after being accused of farting.
  • Options
    cornnifercornnifer Posts: 2,130
    Milestone wrote:
    Not really. Athiests don't preach their beliefs, or take over countries and kill people because people don't think the same way.

I can't say it enough. Those who think faith is responsible for all the worlds atrocities really need to wake the fuck up, open their eyes and see things from a not prejudiced view. I could care less if you believe in God, but stop blaming everything that is wrong in the world on those of us who do. Its weak and fucking pathetic. Holy shit, you people kill me. You're right. Atheists do no wrong and Christians and other people of faith do all the killing. I wonder how often Pol fucking Pot went to church or prayed. Sheesh. I wish people would shut the hell up with this stupid shit.
    "When all your friends and sedatives mean well but make it worse... better find yourself a place to level out."
  • Options
    I don't think anyone is blaming religion for ALL of the world's atrocities and problems, but you have to admit that it DOES play a significant role in many of today's and history's largest conflicts.
  • Options
    angelicaangelica Posts: 6,053
    know1 wrote:
    Christian by Maya Angelou

I'm not shouting "I'm clean livin."
    I'm whispering "I was lost,"
    Now I'm found and forgiven.

When I say..."I am a Christian"
    I don't speak of this with pride.
    I'm confessing that I stumble
    and need CHRIST to be my guide.

I'm not trying to be strong.
    I'm professing that I'm weak
    and need HIS strength to carry on.

I'm not bragging of success.
    I'm admitting I have failed
    and need God to clean my mess.

I'm not claiming to be perfect,
    My flaws are far too visible
    but, God believes I am worth it.

I still feel the sting of pain,
    I have my share of heartaches
    So I call upon His name.

I'm not holier than thou,
    I'm just a simple sinner
    who received God's good grace, somehow.

~Maya Angelou~

I love the spirit of this. It also points out all the more that one is being true to claims of Christianity when one acts humble; can relate to being lost; understands the power of forgiveness; has understanding and compassion for weakness; admits to needing help and thereby being imperfect; when one acknowledges pain and heartache; when one recognises their own nature of being flawed.

When one acts contrary to such acts, one shows the myriad ways one needs God's grace in order to be worthy of the title. This therefore removes from one any license to judge others who also suffer the same humanity.
    "The opposite of a fact is falsehood, but the opposite of one profound truth may very well be another profound truth." ~ Niels Bohr

http://www.myspace.com/illuminatta

Rhinocerous Surprise '08!!!
  • Options
    yotan18yotan18 Posts: 103
    Milestone wrote:

i disagree, but very much respect your opinion. in our religion, we believe there is only one true religion... ours. and we ask people to try and hear our religions teachings, in the hopes that they be enlightened. but we don't force it in their mouths. they CAN say "no", anytime.

religion is not just a product. i its a belief. and how can you make someone believe if they don't know anything about it. so we ask them, if they would like to attend our worship service. if after they attend, and they are not intrested, then they have their choice, but as members, we have done our part.

:)
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

"I always tell the truth. Even when I lie" - T. Montana
    ---
    "Yeah i know... sounds stupid." Aldrin said.

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    What bugs me is the intolerance people show to different groups...this applies to everyone...religion is personal in my opinion...be it your an atheist, Christian, Hebrew, Muslim, gnostic,etc.

One should never preach their religion to others about what is inherently right or wrong...everyone should respect each for what they believe in and in turn those with very strong beliefs should have the respect to those who do not belief in what they do....religion is a spiritual aspect of humanity that no one can prove within our realm of reality...hence why it is a belief...its not something we can prove through the material realm or with physical evidence....its spiritual so essentially it embodies indvidualism...you are what you are....if someones beliefs in one God are different than the other persons gods there should be no right or wrong....my point keep your preaching to yourself...if someone wants to hear it they will ask...do not force your beliefs upon others cause there is nothing to prove who is right and wrong....mutual respect is needed....in turn many people have died in the name of religion but that came as an effect of forcing and not willing to accept different spiritual beliefs....in esscence religion itself hs not caused millions of deaths...its the intolerant involed with religion using it as a control that has led to millions of deaths...those who truly value their beliefs and respect those of others would never kill in the name of their belief....

here me out. i am not against a religion preaching that they are the true religion, or that these are right and these are the wrong. because if they truly believe that they are right, they would also want others to have the privilege in being right. people now, would find out for themselves, what they think is the true religion.

however, i DISAGREE, that people MUST use VIOLENCE in spreading their religion. or by religion, declare holy wars.

prove that you're religion is true, not by force, but by example. that's for me.
    "The Day of Redemption is at hand! Repent, and thou shall be saved..." - A. Ventura

---

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,976
    i pity those who are completely closed off to others' ideas and beliefs..no matter what the topic. it is willingly shutting yourself off from many, and isn't being a part of this world and community one of the best parts of living? so no, i don't narrow my view down to religious folks....just anyone in general who has little to no tolerance for ANY beliefs outside their own.
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• Options
    i pity those who are completely closed off to others' ideas and beliefs..no matter what the topic. it is willingly shutting yourself off from many, and isn't being a part of this world and community one of the best parts of living? so no, i don't narrow my view down to religious folks....just anyone in general who has little to no tolerance for ANY beliefs outside their own.

i agree about you but not fully. religion, for me, is a different thing. i you don't want to cross the street because you believe its bad luck, i'll let you deal with it. however, in religion, one has the belief that theirs is the true one. thus, with all faith in your heart, you believe it, you want people to at least hear you out.

HOWEVER, i am AGAINST forcing it to people. take and respect their decision if they are not interested. don't judge them, but at least you tried and let them know.

it is just sad, that some people use religion as excuses for power, money, etc.

maybe, JUST maybe, their RELIGION isn't the right one???

hmmm...

---

#18 INC forever
  • Options
    RockinInCanadaRockinInCanada Posts: 2,016
    yotan18 wrote:
    here me out. i am not against a religion preaching that they are the true religion, or that these are right and these are the wrong. because if they truly believe that they are right, they would also want others to have the privilege in being right. people now, would find out for themselves, what they think is the true religion.

however, i DISAGREE, that people MUST use VIOLENCE in spreading their religion. or by religion, declare holy wars.

prove that you're religion is true, not by force, but by example. that's for me.

Thats what I was getting at.....I just do not think anyone needs to use violence to promote religion....cause using violence only tarnishes the faith....so essentially, like you say, by example....
  • Options
    rightonduderightondude Posts: 745

Could you pity the better half of their foot in your ass?

That's actually a totally impartial question to illicit a response to another question I have. :D