Your Opionion of Barack Obama

Comments

• my2handsmy2hands Posts: 17,117
    Maybe I'll give it another go tonight whilst totally wasted. :D

just cracked a heiny... and have my trusty 2 footer by my side...

but i think you should check out the Lisbon show streaming live tonight... there is a link in the set list thread. i do believe the entire festival will be aired live, including headliner whoever that is :D
    I guess I'm old fashioned. lol :p

um, i am not buying that :rolleyes:
  • my2hands wrote:
    just cracked a heiny... and have my trusty 2 footer by my side...

but i think you should check out the Lisbon show streaming live tonight... there is a link in the set list thread. i do believe the entire festival will be aired live, including headliner whoever that is :D

Geez...early starter. ;) I still feel like I just came back from lunch. :p

I'm definitely checking that out...been excited about them playing all day! :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
  • my2hands wrote:
    um, i am not buying that :rolleyes:

I don't know. Being freaked out by killings is one of those areas for me. :p This has to be the first time I am actually interested in watching Monty Python. Maybe I'll figure out what I've been missing. :)
    If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.

Man is least himself when he talks in his own person. Give him a mask, and he will tell you the truth.
    -Oscar Wilde
    I don't know. Being freaked out by killings is one of those areas for me. :p This has to be the first time I am actually interested in watching Monty Python. Maybe I'll figure out what I've been missing. :)

we have a lack of monty python knowledge/interest in common. i have no clue what he is talking about :rolleyes:

and there should be nothing old fashioned about being freaked out by killing or death
    Geez...early starter. ;) I still feel like I just came back from lunch. :p

I'm definitely checking that out...been excited about them playing all day! :)

we had a luncheon for our coworker friend who is going to iraq. i think that deserves an early start. we were supposed to go to happy hour but he and his new wife decided against it and wanted to spend time together. i cant blame them. so i am starting happy hour any way :D
  • RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    The thing with Monty Python's humor is, either it doesn't make any sense, or it makes the most sense ever. It's The Life of Brian we've been riffing on - I'm sure El Kabong can fill you in.

If you do watch any, you'll have to let us know how it went over.
  • my2hands wrote:
    we have a lack of monty python knowledge/interest in common. i have no clue what he is talking about :rolleyes:

and there should be nothing old fashioned about being freaked out by killing or death

Nah, it's all good. If I had gotten the reference I'm sure it would have been pretty funny. :)
    my2hands wrote:
    we had a luncheon for our coworker friend who is going to iraq. i think that deserves an early start. we were supposed to go to happy hour but he and his new wife decided against it and wanted to spend time together. i cant blame them. so i am starting happy hour any way

Oh man, I can't say I blame them...in fact, I can't even imagine what that must feel like.

and there's nothing wrong with an early happy hour every now and again...it's friday, afterall! :)

-Oscar Wilde
  • RainDog wrote:
    The thing with Monty Python's humor is, either it doesn't make any sense, or it makes the most sense ever. It's The Life of Brian we've been riffing on - I'm sure El Kabong can fill you in.

If you do watch any, you'll have to let us know how it went over.

Oooh, I'll get high then! Stuff that never makes sense comes to me then. :p He's got that one up on the shelf...in perfect alphabetical order with the rest of his dvds (mine are scattered in stacks in various places throughout the house) :p He's been bugging me forever to give it another try so this oughta make him happy. :)

-Oscar Wilde

Oh man, I can't say I blame them...in fact, I can't even imagine what that must feel like.
    national gaurd call up... 15 months mandatory, in iraq as an MP. he is only 23, and freaked out. he is actually agianst the war at this point. for obvious reasons. and he supports getting everyone the fuck out of there. i cant imagine having to go, seems unreal to me. i just hope he gets home safe in 2009
    and there's nothing wrong with an early happy hour every now and again...it's friday, afterall! :)
    i dont need much of a reason, but friday is a great one
  • my2hands wrote:
    national gaurd call up... 15 months mandatory, in iraq as an MP. he is only 23, and freaked out. he is actually agianst the war at this point. for obvious reasons. and he supports getting everyone the fuck out of there. i cant imagine having to go, seems unreal to me. i just hope he gets home safe in 2009

Wow, just 23, newly married...I'd be terrified. He'll be in my thoughts. :)
    my2hands wrote:
    i dont need much of a reason, but friday is a great one

Cheers!

-Oscar Wilde
    Wow, just 23, newly married...I'd be terrified. He'll be in my thoughts. :)
    he just passed a few tests for the state police and was a shoo in... then he got the news so he immediately married his high school sweatheart. he came to me and said "i have good news and i have bad news, the good news is i am getting married Wednesday, the bad news is i am getting married on wednesday because i am going to iraq." you can tell he is devastated. fucking sad. the crazy part is he is national gaurd. which means he is a civilian 95% of the time. he is not a soldier. now he is going to a war zone, with little training. again, fucking sad.

Cheers!
    and a Cheers! to you :D
  • DeniDeni Posts: 233
    El_Kabong wrote:
    why did he need 2?? did so much happen in between those 2 books that it required a 2nd 'autobiography'?

ppl keeps saying they learned a lot about his politics and stances in the book....

Well, the first book, Dreams of My Father, is the autobiography--a memoir if you will.

The second book, Audacity of Hope, is more of a political manifesto-- it's not so much an autobiography as a look at our political system through the eyes of a liberal senator. I've not read it... so I don't know for sure. But it's not an autobiography.

I just don't think its fair to say that a person is an ego maniac (which was implied) based on the fact that s/he wrote an autobiography (or even 2 if that were the case, which is not.)

Anyway. Politics is politics. In my mind, picking your favorite politician is tantamount to picking the cutest puppy out of a litter of pit bulls anyway you look at it. So, on that note... thank you and good-bye. It's been fun! I wish you all the best, but I'm done with this tread!

Bye Bye! *waves and blows kisses*

Deni :)
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • El_KabongEl_Kabong Posts: 4,141
    VictoryGin wrote:
    this is great, thanks. from now on when people ask why i support obama, my response can be: i get a 'win' and bragging rights, my integrity, and no burned bridges. perfect!

nah, i thought you said it was b/c you liked his book?

:D

just kidding, but in all seriousness that was not directed at any specific person/s. i meant it if i was to vote for him, since i disagree w/ certain stances, what would be the real reason? to get a D in. but, you have to admit every campaign has blind supporters

but it does seem odd in ways...

i have a feeling if some things were attributed to other candidates, namely hillary, ppl would care more.

i think if she/they had as one of their biggest contributors a major credit card lobbyist i think some would care, especially if they voted against capping credit card interest rates at 30%, why would one oppose that?

i think if they had a major NAFTA and WTO proponent who vigroursly pushed/s them as a top economic and trade advisor i think it would make some of you cast doubt on their 'campaign promise' of what they will do.

i think if they had as another top advisor that came from citigroup (who was an exec there during a few pretty big scandals, including personally calling the treasury dept trying to save enron <save them from....ripping everyone off??? citigroup knew!>) i think many would care...

i think just one of those ppl would cause concern

i think if they pushed for nuclear energy many would be concerned, at least explain how they plan on disposing of the waste!

and the way some rhetoric mirrors ffg's in ways, from ppl who said they opposed it from him

and besides....obama turned me into a newt!

well.......i got better
    standin above the crowd
    he had a voice that was strong and loud and
    i swallowed his facade cos i'm so
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    someone who seemed to feel the same
    someone prepared to lead the way
    RainDog wrote:
    Look, if you splitters in the Popular Front of Judea don't stop causing a ruckus with us over here at the Judean People's Front, we're all going to get railroaded by those bastards in the People's Front of Judea. Then we might as well just give the whole thing over to the Romans. Is that what you want?

shut up, big nose!
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    Didn't appreciate his implication that it was a Canadian Border guard who let that infectious TB guy into the US because he "looked fine to me". That was a US Border Guard....Stop trying to make Canada out to be your enemy!!
    be philanthropic
  • decides2dreamdecides2dream Posts: 14,977
    VictoryGin wrote:
    nah, but i think i'll add 'he's not a career politician like dennis kucinich' or maybe 'he hasn't been in politics nearly as long as kucinich and has accomplished quite a lot' ;)

as in most things it IS all perspective eh? we all can see and read and hear the same things...and get entirely different things from it. what puts one off may be a draw to others, depending on personal experience and desires. election day is a long way off, so lots of information to process until then. it's interesting to see at least a few with minds almost entirely made up, right now. but hey, i am all for strong opinions and fighting for what you believe in. however, i also think it's cool to respect other perspectives and desires that may differ from my own, or who i may choose to vote for...and not assume those with differing/opposing views are less informed, just merely...differing points of view/importance, right?
    Stay with me...
    Let's just breathe...

I am myself like you somehow

• VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,207
    as in most things it IS all perspective eh? we all can see and read and hear the same things...and get entirely different things from it. what puts one off may be a draw to others, depending on personal experience and desires. election day is a long way off, so lots of information to process until then. it's interesting to see at least a few with minds almost entirely made up, right now. but hey, i am all for strong opinions and fighting for what you believe in. however, i also think it's cool to respect other perspectives and desires that may differ from my own, or who i may choose to vote for...and not assume those with differing/opposing views are less informed, just merely...differing points of view/importance, right?

absolutely. we do get different things from reading the same stuff. people have different perspectives and priorities, which you think would have been evident all along as that is a simple observation, but it definitely needs repeating when the whole 'not being informed' claim comes up. it's a shame that it can come down to that and it reminds me of some religion arguments too. my god is the right god, i have faith in the one true one. whateves.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • VictoryGin wrote:
    absolutely. we do get different things from reading the same stuff. people have different perspectives and priorities, which you think would have been evident all along as that is a simple observation, but it definitely needs repeating when the whole 'not being informed' claim comes up. it's a shame that it can come down to that and it reminds me of some religion arguments too. my god is the right god, i have faith in the one true one. whateves.

I was never claiming you weren't informed of anything. I was only saying 'some' people might not be informed about some of the stuff we have been posting about and although this info doesn't change your opinion...it could matter a good deal to another. That's all.

Edit: and it does remind one of the religious threads...mainly because you act like the negative side of Obama can't be brought up and debated. It's like you just don't want to hear it and would rather us not even bring it up if it casts an ugly light on him. Everyone here believes what they are typing is the right way...no matter what the topic pertains to, be it abortion, war, taxes, sex education....everybody believes what they are saying is 'right'.

-Oscar Wilde
    VictoryGin wrote:

is that any different from saying your god is the only "realistic" god?

no, i think not

and you seem to have your mind pretty much made up already, vg, do you not??
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    Edit: and it does remind one of the religious threads...mainly because you act like the negative side of Obama can't be brought up and debated. It's like you just don't want to hear it and would rather us not even bring it up if it casts an ugly light on him. Everyone here believes what they are typing is the right way...no matter what the topic pertains to, be it abortion, war, taxes, sex education....everybody believes what they are saying is 'right'.

exactly! and then they won't even tell you WHY it's 'misleading' they'll just say 'I reject that!' then you ask 'well, why do you reject it?' and they won't ever back it up...wow, you were pretty spot on w/ that analogy, victorygin!!

god forbid this political section of the board be used for 'debate' i guess Kat made a typo when she said "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new."

there were quite a few things i posted ppl said 'i wasn't aware of that' or 'i didn't know that, i'll have to look into that'

but i guess this is just a pro obama board now? only positive things about him can be posted?

you guys used to love it when the arguments were against someone else, now that someone is questioning you you can't stand it
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
    El_Kabong wrote:
    exactly! and then they won't even tell you WHY it's 'misleading' they'll just say 'I reject that!' then you ask 'well, why do you reject it?' and they won't ever back it up...wow, you were pretty spot on w/ that analogy, victorygin!!

god forbid this political section of the board be used for 'debate' i guess Kat made a typo when she said "Politics, current events - reasoned debate and discussion - we can all learn something new."

there were quite a few things i posted ppl said 'i wasn't aware of that' or 'i didn't know that, i'll have to look into that'

but i guess this is just a pro obama board now? only positive things about him can be posted?

you guys used to love it when the arguments were against someone else, now that someone is questioning you you can't stand it

ah, dear. okay. i went through all of those claims i reject in other threads. and they were in response to you. so if you're dying to read them again, go ahead and search and find them (and i've said this here again too). i didn't want to say this before but i guess this is the point where i will. i don't generally mind people questioning me or disagreeing with me. it would be boring if that didn't happen. what i mind is you. specifically you and your posts. i think they're incredibly obnoxious and i don't want to waste my time rehashing things that have already been said or waste my time addressing things that i find to be incredibly ridiculous (for example, this insinuation above that i would support a board on which only positive things could be said about obama? ridiculous.) so i guess you can take comfort in that it's not that i hate when people say negative things about obama, but i just can't stand your posts.

and for the record, i have mentioned (in one of these threads recently) that if the vote were today it would be for him, but i can't promise that for november 2008. that's too far away for me.
  • VictoryGin wrote:
    ah, dear. okay. i went through all of those claims i reject in other threads. and they were in response to you. so if you're dying to read them again, go ahead and search and find them (and i've said this here again too). i didn't want to say this before but i guess this is the point where i will. i don't generally mind people questioning me or disagreeing with me. it would be boring if that didn't happen. what i mind is you. specifically you and your posts. i think they're incredibly obnoxious and i don't want to waste my time rehashing things that have already been said or waste my time addressing things that i find to be incredibly ridiculous (for example, this insinuation above that i would support a board on which only positive things could be said about obama? ridiculous.) so i guess you can take comfort in that it's not that i hate when people say negative things about obama, but i just can't stand your posts.

and for the record, i have mentioned (in one of these threads recently) that if the vote were today it would be for him, but i can't promise that for november 2008. that's too far away for me.

His posts aren't any different than anyone else's here. He has his certain views and he sticks to them. I will say that he argues his points strongly, debates them thoroughly, doesn't give in often (and we are all guilty of that)and can be a smartass...I guess that can get a bit annoying if you're on the receiving end. But I don't see how that constitutes as obnoxious. It's no more obnoxious than your 'god' analogy, you'r own sarcastic remarks or the threads in which you've debated your views thoroughly.

and for the record, I don't ever remember you answering me about what exactly you reject from the article I posted in this thread. So I wouldn't call it rehashing anything.

-Oscar Wilde
    VictoryGin wrote:

hmmm and i thought you weren't taking anything personal?

and no, you answered very little. you didn't say anything about
    -thinks nuclear power is 'green' energy source
    Barack Obama believes nuclear power is “green” and told the Senate Committee on Environment & Public Works, of which Barack is a member, that Congress should allow “nuclear power to remain on the table for consideration”. Employees of Exelon, which is the nation’s largest nuclear power plant operator, have donated over $159,000 to Obama’s presidential campaign as of March 31, 2007.

other than rain dog saying he had family that worked in that industry so good for him

you said nothing to
    -voted against capping credit card interest rates at 30%
    Obama, in one of his earliest Senate votes, departed with his own party and voted for class action “reform” legislation. The bill, as Ken Silverstein wrote for Harper’s, was “lobbied for aggressively by financial firms, which constitute Obama’s second biggest single bloc of donors.” An amendment to the legislation, which the senator opposed, would have capped credit card interest rates at 30%. Obama, unfortunately, didn’t see a need for any cap on such predatory lending.

other than rain dog saying he had no credit cards so it didn't matter to him, neither do i but it still seems like an odd vote coming from your champion of the ppl

you said nothingto
    -has as top economic and trade advisors a guy high up in citigroup and another guy who helped craft and push NAFTA through advised Mexico on NAFTA dealings and argued for escalting the WTO just 1-2 years ago, a credit card lobbyist and big oil poponent
    **note, here's what wikipedia has to say of obama's man from citigroup:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Rubin#Post-political_career
    He sparked controversy in 2001 when he contacted an acquaintance at the Treasury Department and asked if the department could convince bond-rating agencies not to downgrade the corporate debt of Enron, a debtor of Citigroup. Rubin wanted Enron creditors to loan money to the troubled company for a restructuring of its debt; a collapse of the energy giant might have serious consequences for financial markets and energy distribution.

also:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Citigroup#Business_Issues
    Citigroup was accused of helping Enron and other companies hide their losses by loaning money to those companies in a special way that would reduce liabilities visible on the balance sheet.

that link has other scandals involving citigroup while rubin was an exec, some violating SEC regulations

other than rain dog saying his advisors are not him (so what's the point in having advisors if you aren't gonna listen to them??)

you somewhat replied to
    -previously stated we needed to stay in iraq until the insurgency was defeated adn even then we keep a permanent presence there to let iran and syria know we are serious

by saying he changed his mind, but none of you will answer if he has changes his mind about keeping a permanent presence in iraq to let "iran and syia know we are serious"

you gave a half assed reply to his rhetoric on iran, that he would support strikes against them if they acquired a nuke, then back in april of this year said they ARE developing a nuke (the iaea says they are still around 10 years away)

but those other issues up there...you have been silent on, but i guess when you have nothing to say and you keep getting questioned on it you have to resort to calling me obnoxious

if you didn't have your mind made up why does it matter what i say? you should be happy i'm showing other sides of him

so, who else do you have in mind possibly voting for other than obama?
    standin above the crowd
    eager to identify with
    someone above the crowd
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,309
    Keep fighting....

President Romney...or Guiliani...or McCain...or Thompson thank you. ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • RainDogRainDog Posts: 1,824
    El_Kabong wrote:
    other than rain dog saying he had family that worked in that industry so good for him
    While it's true, I said it as a joke. However, nuclear power doesn't produce greenhouse gasses. It does produce dangerous waste, which wouldn't be a problem if it could be safely contained. It's an "if this, then sure" situation for me.
    El_Kabong wrote:
    other than rain dog saying he had no credit cards so it didn't matter to him, neither do i but it still seems like an odd vote coming from your champion of the ppl
    Lower rates would be nice. But if you're using a credit card as your major source of "income," you've got bigger problems than the interest rate. Implement a better economic policy, and the interest rates won't be an issue, as people won't need them. Is Obama capable of that? That remains to be seen, but I think so.
    El_Kabong wrote:
    other than rain dog saying his advisors are not him (so what's the point in having advisors if you aren't gonna listen to them??)
    Simple - strategy. You can take strategic economic advice from someone without taking detailed economic plans from them.
  • RainDog wrote:
    While it's true, I said it as a joke. However, nuclear power doesn't produce greenhouse gasses. It does produce dangerous waste, which wouldn't be a problem if it could be safely contained. It's an "if this, then sure" situation for me.

Lower rates would be nice. But if you're using a credit card as your major source of "income," you've got bigger problems than the interest rate. Implement a better economic policy, and the interest rates won't be an issue, as people won't need them. Is Obama capable of that? That remains to be seen, but I think so.
    Simple - strategy. You can take strategic economic advice from someone without taking detailed economic plans from them.

But the real question is, Did you guys watch the Life of Brian this past weekend?

We watched The Holy Grail. I found it pretty funny this time...I think I didn't give it enough of a chance before. I was all ready to quote some it of it with you once I saw you on... I've since lost the mood, not your fault though. Ah well. Kabong's off today...I think we may watch Life of Brian today and maybe I'll be more chipper some other time. :)

-Oscar Wilde
    Keep fighting....

oh, i hate to disappoint you cincy but if this was a fight then i surrender. this is turning out just like that *other thread* i keep referencing that keeps falling on deaf ears. it was another obama thread weeks ago with another zmag article. anyway, i'm done repeating and repeating the same thing. we all have our perspectives and priorities. mine currently is packing up my life :).
  • VictoryGin wrote:
    oh, i hate to disappoint you cincy but if this was a fight then i surrender. this is turning out just like that *other thread* i keep referencing that keeps falling on deaf ears. it was another obama thread weeks ago with another zmag article. anyway, i'm done repeating and repeating the same thing. we all have our perspectives and priorities. mine currently is packing up my life :).

I'm not fighting, either...just on this board debating just like everyone else.

No deaf ears here...it's been highlighted the things you haven't ever given an answer to.

-Oscar Wilde
  • Keep fighting....

Same old scare tactics that have kept the Dems and Reps in power this long.

-Oscar Wilde