Stock market

Comments

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Haha, oh Twitter definitely does want to take his money. I think what you mean to say is Musk never wanted to buy Twitter anyways.
    You think?  The world seemed up in arms about it and thought Twitter was trying to hold on to some street cred by not wanting him to purchase.

I'm waiting for Trumps social media platform to go live but we all know that will never happen... It was all a ruse.
    Isn't "Truth" his social media platform?  It's live, just lame evidently.  And full of bots.  

I think the shareholders did not want to sell initially but then Musk made an offer that they were obligated to take.  Now he's either trying to cut the price significantly or backing out.  My bet is it doesn't sell.  
  • Jearlpam0925Jearlpam0925 Deep South Philly Posts: 16,757
    Haha, oh Twitter definitely does want to take his money. I think what you mean to say is Musk never wanted to buy Twitter anyways.
    You think?  The world seemed up in arms about it and thought Twitter was trying to hold on to some street cred by not wanting him to purchase.

I'm waiting for Trumps social media platform to go live but we all know that will never happen... It was all a ruse.
    I mean yeah I think public reaction was negative, but the "poison pill" was what was a ruse. I still think, as mrrussell said, it's most likely to not go through - but not because of the public's reaction and more to do with the TLDR explainer I posted. But if it does happen it's more because of the contractual obligation Musk now has to do so or pay a gigantic fine, or if the SEC wants - to prosecute.

Truth has been up and running. I'm sure it's GREAT.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    mrussel1 said:

Isn't "Truth" his social media platform?  It's live, just lame evidently.  And full of bots.  

I think the shareholders did not want to sell initially but then Musk made an offer that they were obligated to take.  Now he's either trying to cut the price significantly or backing out.  My bet is it doesn't sell.  

I mean yeah I think public reaction was negative, but the "poison pill" was what was a ruse. I still think, as mrrussell said, it's most likely to not go through - but not because of the public's reaction and more to do with the TLDR explainer I posted. But if it does happen it's more because of the contractual obligation Musk now has to do so or pay a gigantic fine, or if the SEC wants - to prosecute.

Truth is up?  My God why didn't I know this!?!
    mrussel1 said:

Because it's full of idiots and racists?
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I initially followed that stock because the IPO was so high and then I never heard another thing about it so I thought it was a work in progress.
    edited May 2022
    mrussel1 said:

Because like all things Trump does they are disasters and normal people do not invest in them, nor are aware of them.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I initially followed that stock because the IPO was so high and then I never heard another thing about it so I thought it was a work in progress.
    Truth doesn't have an IPO, at least I don't think. I believe it's owned by a SPAC, which are mostly all garbage, too.

All this stuff - NFTs, SPACs, bitcoin, ethereum, blah blah blah should all be lessons to everyone on when to get in, and out, of a bubble/fad, and are not sound financial investments. Nothing wrong about riding waves but don't take them for anything else than that.
    Post edited by Jearlpam0925 on
    mrussel1 said:

Because like all things Trump does they are disasters and normal people do not invest in them, nor are aware of them.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Truth doesn't have an IPO, at least I don't think. I believe it's owned by a SPAC, which are mostly all garbage, too.

All this stuft - NFTs, SPACs, bitcoin, ethereum, blah blah blah should all be lessons to everyone on when to get in, and out, of a bubble/fad, and are not sound financial investments. Nothing wrong about riding waves but don't take them for anything else than that.
    Yes it was a SPAC.  
  • Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,481
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

All this stuft - NFTs, SPACs, bitcoin, ethereum, blah blah blah should all be lessons to everyone on when to get in, and out, of a bubble/fad, and are not sound financial investments. Nothing wrong about riding waves but don't take them for anything else than that.
    Yes it was a SPAC.  
    And doesn't a SPAC shield its "investors?" Like a bunch of Saudi money is backing it but we can’t really tell because they’re non-disclosed?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    It was a SPAC IPO.
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Yes it was a SPAC.  
    And doesn't a SPAC shield its "investors?" Like a bunch of Saudi money is backing it but we can’t really tell because they’re non-disclosed?
    I don't know that's true.  It's still publicly traded so there is some reporting requirements.  I had not heard of it as a shield for investors. It's a stock with no operations.  You have two years to acquire or else return money to investors.
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,130
    i hate musk too. maybe his vision is going broke to own the libs?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    SPAC basically shields the ops not the investors. Like the purpose of the SPAC is shielded, so what you're investing is opaque - or I should say the purpose of the SPAC is opaque. In my cynical brain the Truth SPAC was a matter of getting money from anyone worth rounding money up from that would fork it over for Truth, with the purpose of SPAC as the vehicle. Then pay out your execs/board/etc and since something like Truth doesn't have anything worth fundamentally investing in the price is tanking. So the everyday Joe investor is in a position to get ripped off. But then again I guess that goes with most dumb investments and if you're going to invest in a Trump thirst trap then I think you're someone that should be separated from your money.

I guess what I'm saying is it's easier to get something dumb like Truth to go "public" via a SPAC and NASDAQ than when one thinks of a public/NYSE-traded company.
    SPAC basically shields the ops not the investors. Like the purpose of the SPAC is shielded, so what you're investing is opaque - or I should say the purpose of the SPAC is opaque. In my cynical brain the Truth SPAC was a matter of getting money from anyone worth rounding money up from that would fork it over for Truth, with the purpose of SPAC as the vehicle. Then pay out your execs/board/etc and since something like Truth doesn't have anything worth fundamentally investing in the price is tanking. So the everyday Joe investor is in a position to get ripped off. But then again I guess that goes with most dumb investments and if you're going to invest in a Trump thirst trap then I think you're someone that should be separated from your money.

I guess what I'm saying is it's easier to get something dumb like Truth to go "public" via a SPAC and NASDAQ than when one thinks of a public/NYSE-traded company.
    I think that's over cynical.  I think everyone knew that SPAC was for Truth, but the product didn't exist and they wanted to raise capital publicly rather than through a PE or a VC.  The reason it was so hot out of the gates of the IPO is because it was going to be Truth.  
    True. Still cynical that it's easier to raise money without a product in hand and just a "vision" via the public than via PE/VC.
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    Musk… what a pud…

Share value of Tesla has dropped almost in half in the last month. Thinking it may be time to drop the handful of shares I own while I’m still up some.
    edited May 2022
    Musk… what a pud…

Share value of Tesla has dropped almost in half in the last month. Thinking it may be time to drop the handful of shares I own while I’m still up some.
    You know that he is going to split and pay dividends right?

Edit: Amz and google are all down too.
    Post edited by tempo_n_groove on
    Musk… what a pud…

Your stock drops by 50% and you then you split?  That's not normal.  

You saw the Business Insider article about his sexual harassment settlement, right?  Now we know what's going on with him. 
    mrussel1 said:
    Musk… what a pud…

You saw the Business Insider article about his sexual harassment settlement, right?  Now we know what's going on with him. 
    Lol also explains why he's now a Republican.
    mrussel1 said:
    Musk… what a pud…

Lol also explains why he's now a Republican.
    That's exactly what I said on teh GOP page.  It's no coincidence that he made that declaration right before this news broke. 
    "They're attacking me." (no one's attacking him yet) "And that's why I am voting Republican." (news breaks that he sexually harassed someone who they then had sign an NDA for $250k, along with trying to wriggle his way out of the Twitter deal)

This man has VISION.
    "They're attacking me." (no one's attacking him yet) "And that's why I am voting Republican." (news breaks that he sexually harassed someone who they then had sign an NDA for $250k, along with trying to wriggle his way out of the Twitter deal)

This man has VISION.
    Ha!  Clairvoyant vision.  Drop the mic dude. 
  • nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,638
    Musk… what a pud…

I know everyone hates Musk all of sudden now for political reasons but the entire market is in shambles and is entering a bear market. This is no way limited to TSLA. 
    nicknyr15 said:
    Musk… what a pud…

I know everyone hates Musk all of sudden now for political reasons but the entire market is in shambles and is entering a bear market. This is no way limited to TSLA. 
    i hate him because he is a fucking douchebag. i do not care that he is a republican. though now it makes sense that he would change parties.

there are many people like me who have been annoyed by him for several years now. 
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

Oh, no, these things are not at all related for sure. Musk has always been a douche, and not just for "political reasons"; will be interesting to see what goes on in the intermediate with the markets as the fed pushes rates up some more.
    nicknyr15 said:
    Musk… what a pud…

We were hating on him before he made that announcement the other day.  Go back in the thread.  I hate on him because I've been critical of him investing Tesla cash into bit coin, effectively tying them together.  And then he wants to negotiate or back out of the deal because of bots, which have been on every fucking report by Twitter for the last several years.  And they keep saying they know they have a problem and cannot determine how many bots they have.  This is not new. 
  • jerparker20jerparker20 St. Paul, MN Posts: 2,399
    nicknyr15 said:
    Musk… what a pud…

I’m aware the markets are in flux at the moment.

The point is Musk seems to have said “fuck it” as it relates to the performance of Tesla for shareholders with his recent behavior. If he keeps it up the board at Tesla is going to have to sack him as CEO.

Also, doesn’t help that recent reports/reviews of Volkswagen’s upcoming EVs and General Motors EV batteries are going to be able to beat Tesla on price and performance.
    I'll buy everyones Tesla shares at 1/2 off if you'd like.
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,072
    I'm pretty nervous about all of this.  Not that much for my 401k, etc as I have plenty of time for a rebound.  But there are a lot of people who don't.  This plus gas prices plus inflation....all hitting everyone in various manners.  This is a death blow to the mid-terms and the next presidential election if it doesn't get under control.  And if that happens, we are going to have a very socially conservative leader and congress.....scary.  
    hippiemom = goodness
    I'm pretty nervous about all of this.  Not that much for my 401k, etc as I have plenty of time for a rebound.  But there are a lot of people who don't.  This plus gas prices plus inflation....all hitting everyone in various manners.  This is a death blow to the mid-terms and the next presidential election if it doesn't get under control.  And if that happens, we are going to have a very socially conservative leader and congress.....scary.  
    have there been any other countries that have handled this better than we have? last i checked inflation is much worse in the EU countries. maybe we should model after countries that have done a better job. i am not sure if any have though. has anybody heard of a better way? because i am all ears.