Options

Stock market

Comments

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,817
    vaggar99 said:
    Yesterday, I sold every stock I owned.  Even from my IRA.  20 years in the markets.  All cash.  Did I fuck up?
    If you made money, you didn’t fuck up. Almost impossible to catch the bottom and top. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,886
    edited April 2020
    vaggar99 said:
    Yesterday, I sold every stock I owned.  Even from my IRA.  20 years in the markets.  All cash.  Did I fuck up?
    I say yes. you lost $, no?

its coming back up.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,678
    Who knows.  If you're cashed out forever,  then probably yeah.  But nothing wrong with a break. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.
    20 years in the market? How did he lose money?
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.
    going out on a limb and say 11 years ago was rough.
    Post edited by mickeyrat on
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.
    going out on a limb and say 11 years ago was rough.
    True. 
  • Options
    vaggar99vaggar99 San Diego USA Posts: 3,426
    nicknyr15 said:
    vaggar99 said:
    If you made money, you didn’t fuck up. Almost impossible to catch the bottom and top. 
    i think i did well.  probably thank S Jobs for that.  But, missing the top still kind of burns me.
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.
    That's why I sold.  Before the last two weeks, I was content riding to the bottom.  My feeling is the bottom will be very deep and is still a few months away.  

Think of how many jobs are being lost that will not easily come back.  Travel, restaurants, retail.  The list seems vast and mind boggling.
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.
    That's why I sold.  Before the last two weeks, I was content riding to the bottom.  My feeling is the bottom will be very deep and is still a few months away.  

Think of how many jobs are being lost that will not easily come back.  Travel, restaurants, retail.  The list seems vast and mind boggling.
    well most of the areas you list are more main street, arent they?

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

well most of the areas you list are more main street, arent they?
    not really.  Large hotels, restaurant chains and mall/big box retailers are all going to suffer.  Everyone will be affected.
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

I'm with you, I dont think we have seen the bottom.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

I agree. There’s only so much the fed can pump into the market. I think this is a fake rally 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

I agree. There’s only so much the fed can pump into the market. I think this is a fake rally 
    IDK, Bernie dropping out, curve seems to be flattening in some places...

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

IDK, Bernie dropping out, curve seems to be flattening in some places...
    That’s the other side of it. Who the fuck knows!! Haha. 
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

This.  The shoe still hasn't dropped from the Fed propping up the economy for YEARS during and after the housing crash/ Great Recession.  You can't print money forever without feeling the effect of doing so.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

This.  The shoe still hasn't dropped from the Fed propping up the economy for YEARS during and after the housing crash/ Great Recession.  You can't print money forever without feeling the effect of doing so.

For better or worse,  there's no evidence that you can't pump for a long period.  

I think the ride will be bumpy,  but I don't there's another big correction on the horizon.  The government acted so aggressively that I think we'll be okay for 90 days.  I certainly see two quarters of GDP contraction though. 
  • Options
    I went heavy into Amazon and JPM several weeks ago and am pleased thus far.  I've been in Google heavy since probably 08 and im not too concerned about them either. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

For better or worse,  there's no evidence that you can't pump for a long period.  

I think the ride will be bumpy,  but I don't there's another big correction on the horizon.  The government acted so aggressively that I think we'll be okay for 90 days.  I certainly see two quarters of GDP contraction though. 
    you mean we ARENT going to see 4% like we were promised?

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,657
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

you mean we ARENT going to see 4% like we were promised?
    Quarter over quarter, year over year, for ten years to pay for that $1.2 trillion tax cut. Brilliant, brilliance in all its brilliancy.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    edited April 2020
    Unemployment is already higher than it ever was during the Great Recession. It's only going to get worse.  Lots of high paying jobs are being lost.  

You can't tell me that a $1200 check and some bullshit (and it is bullshit) loan program will fix this.
    Post edited by vaggar99 on
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    Unemployment is already higher than it ever was during the Great Recession. It's only going to get worse.  Lot's of high paying jobs are being lost.  

You can't tell me that a $1200 check and some bullshit (and it is bullshit) loan program will fix this.
    MAGA!!!!

• Options
    CM189191CM189191 Minneapolis via Chicago Posts: 6,793
    vaggar99 said:
    Unemployment is already higher than it ever was during the Great Recession. It's only going to get worse.  Lots of high paying jobs are being lost.  

if I understand correctly, the $1200 check is credited against next year's tax returns - anyone else see this?
    WI 6/27/98 WI 10/8/00 MO 10/11/00 IL 4/23/03 MN 6/26/06 MN 6/27/06 WI 6/30/06 IL 8/5/07 IL 8/21/08 (EV) IL 8/22/08 (EV) IL 8/23/09 IL 8/24/09 IN 5/7/10 IL 6/28/11 (EV) IL 6/29/11 (EV) WI 9/3/11 WI 9/4/11 IL 7/19/13 NE 10/09/14 IL 10/17/14 MN 10/19/14 FL 4/11/16 IL 8/20/16 IL 8/22/16 IL 08/18/18 IL 08/20/18 IT 07/05/2020 AT 07/07/2020
  • Options
    Well that didn’t take long. Can we stick to the stock market?
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    mrussel1 said:
    bbiggs said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    dignin said:
    vaggar99 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    vaggar99 said:

its coming back up.

They can pump forever if they choose to, but government stimulus, on the levels that we've seen at points for the last 10 years, is unprecedented and has to lead to inflation at some point.  Is there a way to avoid that (genuinely asking)?  That, coupled with the fact that the "Trump economy" has been fueled in some ways by massive tax cuts that led to stock buybacks by corporations to boost their stock price, makes a lot of this never-ending bull market seem artificial to me.  I'm by no means an expert, but I follow enough and know enough about the fundamentals that leads me to believe we still haven't paid the piper for all of the money we've printed. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    I'd say the current unemployment situation is very much relevant to the markets.  Unemployment is on the rise, and so is the DOW.  That really should not be happening.
  • Options
    CM189191 said:
    vaggar99 said:

if I understand correctly, the $1200 check is credited against next year's tax returns - anyone else see this?
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/advisor/2020/04/06/dont-worry-the-1200-stimulus-payment-wont-cut-into-your-tax-refund-next-april/#57e8a8655ea8

• Options
    vaggar99 said:

Sorry, it's not bullshit.  There are 55 companies that work for my company that are going through the approval process.  My wife is a CPA and is helping small businesses apply as well.  The terms are very favorable.

Plus, you are forgetting about the extra $600 per week in unemployment insurance through the end of July.  The gov't has done more to surround this problem than at any other time in our history, including the depression.  
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    I'd say the current unemployment situation is very much relevant to the markets.  Unemployment is on the rise, and so is the DOW.  That really should not be happening.
    Sure it could.  The market is a leading indicator and unemployment is a lagging indicator.  The market priced in the contraction when it dropped 11000 points in a matter of two weeks.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    vaggar99 said:

Sorry, it's not bullshit.  There are 55 companies that work for my company that are going through the approval process.  My wife is a CPA and is helping small businesses apply as well.  The terms are very favorable.

Plus, you are forgetting about the extra $600 per week in unemployment insurance through the end of July.  The gov't has done more to surround this problem than at any other time in our history, including the depression.  
    We've applied for 3 of them.  The terms seem favorable on the surface.   But I can tell you, they are not really.  If you want to discuss further, I've already started a thread on this.  
  • Options
    vaggar99 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    vaggar99 said:

We've applied for 3 of them.  The terms seem favorable on the surface.   But I can tell you, they are not really.  If you want to discuss further, I've already started a thread on this.  
    I agree the devil is in the details, but the question is whether it's to your advantage to take the loans or not?  For the vast majority, the answer is probably yes.  For my company, the answer is no for a variety of reasons.  We also won't take the tax credits.  

Where is the thread?  I didn't see it.