Options

I never felt strongly either way about abortion..

124»

Comments

• Options
    VictoryGinVictoryGin Posts: 1,218
    Whats a chemical pregnancy? I've never heard this term before. From what I understand, the human body has negligible amounts of hCG, but the tests are designed to detect above certain amounts. There are also some very rare forms of cancer that can elevate the levels of hCG. As for incorrect use of a pregnancy test........ they're not that hard, you piss on a stick, wait three minutes and bob's yer uncle, you have a result. Misinterpretation could be due to......... well I dunno what, a blue line is preggers, no blue line is not preggers. Maybe the false positive is simply due to wishful thinking?

chemical pregnancy is when implantation occurs, hCG levels elevate, pregnancy test is positive, then another test comes out negative because in between the two there was was a very early miscarriage. i don't think a lot of people notice when that happens because it happens so quickly and it's usually people monitoring conception that see it.

some brands of otc tests are easier to misinterpret than you think.
    if you wanna be a friend of mine
    cross the river to the eastside
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,135
    This thread makes me very sad.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    nick1977nick1977 Posts: 327
    Adoption is a last resort...

I really feel uncomfortable doing that, given that I'm not terribly informed on it,... My impression is that it's not great for the kid though. And in any case it's discomforting all around,... still a better choice than raising a child in our case.

Adoption is a great option in the right circumstances. There are many parents who cannot have children who would love to adopt. If you find a good adoptive home prior to birth, then they can perhaps help out with expenses, etc. The baby would then have a good, stable home to grow up in.If you are uninformed, start reading up.

Having said that, if the mother's life is truly in danger (something I would not trust until I heard the doctor say it), then no one can condem the two of you for deciding to abort the pregnancy.

But don't discount adoption because you are uninformed. You can have a hand at meeting with potential adoptive families.

I'm sorry you are faced with this decision.

Another thing....it sounds like her mother is unstable. Does she have other relatives she could turn to for help? What about your parents? While the decision is ultimately yours, adults are there for you. Turn to adults that you trust for help and advice. You two should not have to go through this alone.

Finally.....GET HER TO A DOCTOR ASAP! If she is pregnant, both of you need to know for sure......see the test for yourself.....have a doctor advise as to her health and the risks of giving birth. The two of you need to know these things.
  • Options
    nick1977 wrote:
    Adoption is a great option in the right circumstances. There are many parents who cannot have children who would love to adopt. If you find a good adoptive home prior to birth, then they can perhaps help out with expenses, etc. The baby would then have a good, stable home to grow up in.If you are uninformed, start reading up.
    I'll be doing that, yes.

Another thing....it sounds like her mother is unstable.
    Understatement of the year.
    Does she have other relatives she could turn to for help? What about your parents? While the decision is ultimately yours, adults are there for you. Turn to adults that you trust for help and advice. You two should not have to go through this alone.
    The closest actual (and by actual I mean trustworthy, kind people who aren't so racist that they ground their daughter for a few months for letting a harmless black fella and his white girlfriend in the house (true story..) ) are in Virginia. Not too far away but not a practical move at the moment as her mother still has custody.
    Finally.....GET HER TO A DOCTOR ASAP! If she is pregnant, both of you need to know for sure......see the test for yourself.....have a doctor advise as to her health and the risks of giving birth. The two of you need to know these things.
    Definetly. :)
    Come on pilgrim you know he loves you..

http://www.wishlistfoundation.org

Oh my, they dropped the leash.

Morgan Freeman/Clint Eastwood 08' for President!

"Make our day"
  • Options
    VictoryGin wrote:
    chemical pregnancy is when implantation occurs, hCG levels elevate, pregnancy test is positive, then another test comes out negative because in between the two there was was a very early miscarriage. i don't think a lot of people notice when that happens because it happens so quickly and it's usually people monitoring conception that see it.

Interesting that it's referred to as a chemical pregancy. Sounds more like a pregnancy that's miscarried. I go the impression chemical pregnancy meant that some kind of medication or drug mimiced the effects of pregnancy and elevated hCG levels. Learn somethin new every day.
  • Options
    Ed suports it an so do i....pro choice
    Ten Club member 363***

7/11/06, 8/11/06, 18/11/06

escape is never the safest plan...
  • Options
    Miscarriage is the bodies form of abortion so it is not like there is some innate right to life.
  • Options
    After several weeks of getting more and more suspicious we find out that she lied about it. She'll never come out and say it but evidence piled up. It was an attempt to hurt me and get attention/sympathy from everyone else. Life is beautiful again. Thanks for all your help and support. :)

"Make our day"
  • Options
    normnorm I'm always home. I'm uncool. Posts: 31,147
    After several weeks of getting more and more suspicious we find out that she lied about it. She'll never come out and say it but evidence piled up. It was an attempt to hurt me and get attention/sympathy from everyone else. Life is beautiful again. Thanks for all your help and support. :)

Unbelievable. Some people have a lot of emotional issues. Glad to hear life is good again.:)
  • Options
    JeanieJeanie Posts: 9,446

Phew! What a relief!! You must be pissed and relieved at the same time! And such a crappy time of year to be going through something like that. Hope everything comes up roses for you in the new year Pearl Jam & toast. Sorry that you had to go through something like that in the first place. Some girlies need to grow up! Good luck with everything! :)
    NOPE!!!

*~You're IT Bert!~*

Hold on to the thread
    The currents will shift
  • Options
    Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404

That's great!! Well ok it's not so great, but I'm glad you don't have to deal with that issue anymore. Congrats on the tabula rasa.
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
  • Options
    taratara Posts: 293

congrats :)
    i can't believe a girl would do that, i'm sorry on behalf of my gender.
    i just came across this thread today, and i was wondering whether the father's parents could sign for the mom's abortion? or are there just too many complications on that front?
    No problem can be solved from the same consciousness that created it.
    Albert Einstein
  • Options
    DeniDeni Posts: 233
    VictoryGin wrote:

Technically that is not a chemical pregnancy. That's an early miscarriage. A chemical pregnancy is when an egg is fertilized and implanted, and all the hormones go into affect. A sack forms filled with fluid, but the egg never develops into a zygote and subsequently into an embryo. The body only recognized that an egg had been fertilized and implanted. So hCG levels spike just like a "real" pregnancy, but there is no embryo and no baby will ever develop. Technically this isn't a "false" positive because the woman is in fact "pregnant" there's just no developing embryo.
    "Ideas are bulletproof." --V

Peace and Love
    Deni
    :)
  • Options
    MeddleDealMeddleDeal Posts: 2,547
    I just read this whole thread, and to find out that your ex lied to you about it. I'm sorry that you had to go through that, wondering what you were going to do and stuff. I'm glad though that things are starting to look good for you:)

take care and it is your life, you can do whatever you want. :D
    ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~ø~
    ~*STONEY PONY all the WAY!*~
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~~*~*~
    "For the world, not for the war"-Neil Finn
  • Options
    this thread is crap.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    this thread is crap.

Yer right.
    All I know is that to see, and not to speak, would be the great betrayal.
    -Enoch Powell
  • Options
    PaperPlatesPaperPlates Posts: 1,745
    Until now.

Seventeen years old and my ex girlfriend (whom I broke up with a couple weeks ago) says she thinks she's pregnant. She's on the patch, which means something fucked up big time if it's true. Her mother is the kind of person who would kill the daughter if she found out (and I mean that literally), plus she's a rampid alcoholic which just doesn't help this at all.

My ex has a heart condition which her doctors said prevents her from giving birth because she physically could not handle it (she will die), but her mother still says she cannot have an abortion.

In North Carolina parental consent is required for an abortion unless a judge allows a bypass. If this turns out to be a pregnancy and for some ungodly reason a judge doesn't allow an abortion without parental consent both of our lives are ruined and there will be a newborn baby entering a family that cannot possibly support it or take care of it.

You tell me what "morality" is.

Morality would have been to not put yourselves in a situation to get pregnant in the first place. Hopefully your little drama here will wake you up to the responsibilities you face when making grown up decisions, while still a kid.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Morality would have been to not put yourselves in a situation to get pregnant in the first place. Hopefully your little drama here will wake you up to the responsibilities you face when making grown up decisions, while still a kid.
    How is that morality? That's repression and it will get you into far more trouble than allowing those natural urges to be embraced. We used birth control, we're 17, it's a healthy thing to do.

As for the second thing you said it definetly did that.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    How is that morality? That's repression and it will get you into far more trouble than allowing those natural urges to be embraced. We used birth control, we're 17, it's a healthy thing to do.

As for the second thing you said it definetly did that.

I guess morality is relative. Sex in and of itself isnt immoral. Irresponsible sex is. If I drive erratically and cause an accident, causing life altering events for myself and others, does the fact that I wore a seat belt make it ok?
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    I guess morality is relative. Sex in and of itself isnt immoral. Irresponsible sex is. If I drive erratically and cause an accident, causing life altering events for myself and others, does the fact that I wore a seat belt make it ok?
    I think you have a really warped view of sex. Irresponsible sex isn't immoral it's just stupid.

"Make our day"
  • Options
    onelongsongonelongsong Posts: 3,517
    Until now.

Seventeen years old and my ex girlfriend (whom I broke up with a couple weeks ago) says she thinks she's pregnant. She's on the patch, which means something fucked up big time if it's true. Her mother is the kind of person who would kill the daughter if she found out (and I mean that literally), plus she's a rampid alcoholic which just doesn't help this at all.

My ex has a heart condition which her doctors said prevents her from giving birth because she physically could not handle it (she will die), but her mother still says she cannot have an abortion.

In North Carolina parental consent is required for an abortion unless a judge allows a bypass. If this turns out to be a pregnancy and for some ungodly reason a judge doesn't allow an abortion without parental consent both of our lives are ruined and there will be a newborn baby entering a family that cannot possibly support it or take care of it.

You tell me what "morality" is.

i would go with the abortion. even if it meant going to another state. with the mothers health in danger i don't see how a judge would deny it.
    but i also want to tell you a story. about 25 years ago i had a still born daughter. i think about her every day and wonder what she would've looked like and what she'd be doing right now. just because i never knew the child; doesn't mean the memory is any less painful to forget. she was born mid-pregnancy and the mass really didn't look human. but the pain lingers forever.
  • Options
    I think you have a really warped view of sex. Irresponsible sex isn't immoral it's just stupid.

Maybe a "warped view of morality". Whats "warped" to you, is normal for others. Im not judging you man. Judge not, lest ye be judged, eh? And as far as your judgement of my views goes, the weight of the words of a 17 year old who can't keep his willy in his pants doesn't worry me to much.
    Why go home

www.myspace.com/jensvad
  • Options
    Maybe a "warped view of morality". Whats "warped" to you, is normal for others. Im not judging you man. Judge not, lest ye be judged, eh? And as far as your judgement of my views goes, the weight of the words of a 17 year old who can't keep his willy in his pants doesn't worry me to much.
    So every 17 year old..?

You one of those people who freaks out when someone tries to teach a real sex ed class to your kids lest they find out that it's not 'wrong' ?

"Make our day"
  • Options
    soulsingingsoulsinging Posts: 13,208

holy bullshit batman... if what you kicked off with wasn't judgmental, then i was dubya's second choice for the supreme court. at least own up to your self-righteousness dude.

and corporatewhore... earns biggest loser of the year award for replying to his own post to "add support" for his view.
  • Options
    vedderfan10vedderfan10 Posts: 2,497
    the words of a 17 year old who can't keep his willy in his pants doesn't worry me to much.

Excuse me?? There are plenty of people who had sex at age 17 who have gone on to live normal happy successful lives, pregnancy or not, abortion or not....

Whatever.... This situation seems to have worked itself out...now PJ & Toast...got watch the 90210 episode where Brenda thought she was pregnant, although it seems you have learned a few things on your own!
    be philanthropic