Options

Has anyone in PJ ever gotten emotional during a song/performace?

124»

Comments

• Options
    I always get emotional seeing them live, specially when they play crazy mary and black!
    "makes much more sense, to live in the present tense"
  • Options
    yeah i've done it, but

I heard Neil Young got choked up at Bridge School after pearl did Black.
    San Diego, July 07, 2006
    Los Angeles, July 10, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 21, 2006
    Bridge School Benefit, October 22, 2006
    Lollapalooza, August 5th, 2007
    eV., Los Angeles April 12, 2008
    eV., San Diego April 15, 2008
    Given to Fly___..
  • Options
    just dave wrote:
    I have read about people getting emotional when certain songs are played. Like the beatles when they came, girls screamed for them and you see the odd one crying and such. Does this or has this ever happened with PJ fans?

Has anyone started to cry because they played your favourite tune? or something that was really deep?

And with that emotion from people, has any member of the band gotten emotional from playing a song.

I'm just wondering about this, cause i've read from various places about people and songs meaning so much to them. Plus you hear that PJ has saved people's lives like certain songs and such. Music saved Ed's life, so wonder if he has ever felt this way.

Well the thing with me is differant pj tunes mean differatn things to me, it isnt always about eds lyrics, It has a lot to do with time and place and memories.
    So when I hear certain songs I GET EMOTIONAL AND TEARY EYED, USUALLY THINKING ABOUT MY DAUGHTERS.
    Some people have religion I have Pearl Jam.

no more shows
  • Options
    KravenKraven Posts: 829
    Light Years gets me, just the studio version. I haven't seen it live, but I know if I do get the chance to hear it, I will probably cry, or weep. It just makes me think everyone you have lost and everyone you will lose, and it reminds you that time is precious, and don't waste your time doing trivial things, spend your time with the ones you love because you just never know.

I remember being ecstatic when they dropped the leash in Boston in '06, but that was joy, the same with the first time I heard Yellow Ledbetter in Hartford '06.
    32 shows and counting...
  • Options
    All the time

any given lyric or song, usually listening to better man at msg '3 it brings me right back to that huge room with all those voices and seeing ed back away from the mic while we all took over

and the when I finally heard smile live

and when I hear wishlist live "50 million hands upraised and open toward the sky" and when mike goes into the solo and the spot light hits the mirror ball

and on any given day when I hear a song that hits me just right

this band is my religion I equate how it makes me feel to the gospel choirs in the deep south
  • Options
    Jeremys SpokenJeremys Spoken Posts: 7,578
    My 1st two shows are coming up at MSG... I know for a FACT Im going to get emotional once those lights dim and they are ready to come on!

Indifference, and man of the hour get me..
    2008 - MSG 6/24-6/25
    2010 - Newark 5/18 MSG 5/21
    2011 - PJ20 9/3-9/4
    2012 - MIA Festival 9/2
    2013 - Wrigley Field 7/19 Brooklyn 10/18-10/19 Philly 10/22
    2015 - Colbert show - 9/23 Global Citizens Festival 9/26
    2016 - Philly 4/28-4/29 MSG 5/1-5/2

• Options
    guacamolejoeguacamolejoe Posts: 2,396
    I don't know if anyone from PJ was seen being emotional, never that close, but I can tell you that I have.
    At the very start Release was in my top 3, always having a place in my heart because of the special relationship I had with my father who passed away in 1989. But it was not until 6/17/01 FATHER'S DAY where the song took over a whole new meaning. I was working then as a fireman in NYC when we got a call about a fire at a hardware store. It wasn't long before things took a turn for the worst. As I was clearing out the window so the smoke could escape from the basement, as the 2 fireman next to me were doing, I heard one of the fireman next to me say "its blowing". Just assuming the spray paint cans were blowing up, I turned my face away from the building, that split second as I was turning saved my life (thank you Harry, RIP along with John & Billy). The explosion blew out the whole 3 story wall which collapsed on top of me and the 2 fireman next to me. It also trapped another fireman in the basement who couldn't be reached in time. It was 2 weeks when I awoke from the coma, it was another couple of weeks before they let me know about the brothers (fellow fireman) that where killed in that explosion. The 3 fireman that were killed that day known as the FATHER'S DAY FIRE left behind 8 children and their loving wives. Being single at the time I lived with survivor's guilt, why on Father's Day did I survive yet the 3 brave men who died that day had 8 children who no longer had their fathers?
    I was in the ICU unit for over 8 weeks before being transfered to a rehab hospital. It was during that time while still in the hospital that I witnessed the horrific events of 9/11. I could never describe the feelings and emotions that went through my mind that day while I was on morphine for pain for over 3 months. There I was in a hospital bed unable to help myself let alone do anything to help my fellow firefighters or the people of this great city.
    After being released from the rehab hospital in late sept., I was finally home, still unable to walk on my own or even get out of the bed by myself. I had different friends staying over my house taking care of me. Four days a week I was picked up by the Fire Dept. and taken to my physical therapy rehab. Every day and I mean every day for over 3 years, before the intense rehab I would put on ten and play release, hit the repeat button and scream out "release" until I was picked up, hearing the song at least 3-5x. Screaming "I'll hold the pain release me" did release some of the physical and emotional pain I had to deal with each and every day for over 3 yrs. I would feel the level of pain slowly leave my body before I left for rehab. The only relief I would feel for years. It took several years of therapy just to get my body back to 25% of the things I was able to do. I'll never be able to work again because of the physical and emotional things I have gone through but there are plenty of things I can do and being able to go to a PJ show a couple of times a year is something I wasn't going to miss ever again.
    It took me 13 shows including traveling to europe to finally get to hear them open with release on that magical night in Nijmegen last year. When they opened with the first few notes I broke down instantly. I could feel the souls & weight of my fallen brothers (3 on FATHERS DAY, 343 on 9/11, RIP) who I leaned on and asked for the strength to get me through the pain every day being "RELEASED". I cried every day for 6yrs for those lost souls I was never able to help, at times carrying their weight, although most of the time they were carrying me through the tough times. Since then I don't break down as much, some of the cries are actually good cries just like the one I had when I finally heard PJ open with "RELEASE".
    So, What you Giving ?........ (Thanks Speedy, Alesek, & Arq+friends)
    What You Giving

I suggest you step out on your Porch.
    Run away my son. See it all. Oh, See the World!
  • Options
    VOLITIONVOLITION Posts: 328
    Jones Beach II : Daughter/it's ok
    I didn't cry but man it was hard not to feel something that night.
    "it feels like it's the end of the world and we all got a good seat. you know -- step right up, get your tickets...here we go."

- EV
  • Options
    South of SeattleSouth of Seattle West Seattle Posts: 10,708
    Crown of Thorns, Vegas 2000.

That whole night was crazy. Was living in Utah, called friends in Portland and said they should meet me in Vegas to see PJ. A couple of friends and myself drove down from SLC. I get to Vegas and like 20 of my friends from home showed up in Vegas. The whole weekend was a blast. FF to the MGM before the show, walking in I find out it was the 10th anny show. Was kinda out of loop at the time and didn't realize it. Once Ed started telling the story I was telling one of my Best friends that they're gonna play Crown, and they did. My friend who was the biggest PJ fan out of all of us started to tear up, I held it back, barely. It was good to experience, little did I know that my friend had a tumor and would only make it 4 more years. RIP Colin!

So yeah that was kinda emotional :)
    NERDS!
  • Options
    patrickredeyespatrickredeyes Posts: 8,834
    Inside Job- Vegas 2006

Just alot going on up to that show. When they opened up with it I just lost it.
  • Options
    bonowallbonowall Posts: 116
    Wow - there are some great posts here. Some really powerful stories that show how powerful and influential the band's music is on all of us.

I know I'm supposed to "represent" the manly approach but i will confess proudly - i well up with excitement at almost every single show just because the experience brings me such intense joy and excitement.

Key tunes that do it:

MOTH / Release - Thinking of dad and my past gets me every time
    Gone - my life retold
    Present Tense - energy to keep me looking forward and never backwards

Oh shit, all of them have meaning to me....
    HAWAII BABY!!!!!!

MySpace:
    www.myspace.com/greendisease06

Web Site:
    www.wallsstreetjournal.net

Proud Volunteer of:
    www.wishlistfoundation.org
  • Options
    nfanelnfanel Posts: 2,558
    bonowall wrote:
    Wow - there are some great posts here. Some really powerful stories that show how powerful and influential the band's music is on all of us.
    hey! :eek: it's you! we were missing you at the southern cali pre-parties! good to see you, buddy! :)

for thread integrity... light years hit me pretty hard at montreal in '05. it was my first pj show in over a year and my first time seeing them after my dad died and light years was kind of my song for that time... so i felt like ed was speaking to me even though it was really because of the anniversary of johnny ramone's death. :o very touching moment for me.
  • Options
    JordyWordyJordyWordy Posts: 2,257
    Blind3 & guacamolejoe's posts are getting me teary-eyed as im reading!
    what a brilliant thread.

for me it was Dublin 06...most of us cried when Paddy Casey came out.. :)

In truth though id gone thru a real bad break up few weeks b4 show and dealt with it by being angry about it for a long time...it was my first PJ show and they opened with Inside Job...i had shivers in every inch of me....the encore pairing of Indifference & Black was the killer for me though....seriously choked up!!
    the Black tag was untouchable. really got to me. felt so much better after the show than i had in a LONG TIME. (continued that high by going to see Radiohead & Beck the next day :) )

was in better mental state by the time of last years shows:
    Copenhagen set was littered with tearjerkers considering the occasion (Long Road, LBC, Light Years, Love Reign, Black, Hard To Imagine, Alive).... the band were crying during eds speech, the families of some of the fans lost at roskilde were in the balconies, and i spoke with people outside during soundcheck and throughout the day with people in the crowd who were at that show and/or knew someone who'd died...very VERY emotional experience...ive never experienced a concert like it and doubt i ever will again

Dusseldorf was a party (but with another powerful version of black)
    Copenhagen was a spiritual experience...
    what an incredible band.
  • Options
    When my wife went into labour back in 2003 all the usual happened, I was sent home from the hospital because they said it was gonna take a while and i should get some sleep. I slept a few hours then i was awoken by the phone , it was the midwife who told me to get back as soon as possible and that things were moving fast. I jumped into my car and took off and the stereo came on I had been listening to "yeild" earlyier that day and "lowlight" just kicked in. It all seemed like a dream -the lyrics, my excitment and fear at meeting my 1st baby, my exhaustion ... I'll never forget the feeling. Last year after standing from 10.am outside wembley arena at my 1st PJ gig outside Ireland, the first time i'd been away without my family -when they played "lowlight" i was brought right back to that night in 2003 and i admit i shed a tear. I was so happy and excited to be at the gig but even more happy that i was going back home to my wife and babies! great thread!!
  • Options
    oldermanolderman Posts: 1,765
    just dave wrote:
    I have read about people getting emotional when certain songs are played. Like the beatles when they came, girls screamed for them and you see the odd one crying and such. Does this or has this ever happened with PJ fans?

Has anyone started to cry because they played your favourite tune? or something that was really deep?

And with that emotion from people, has any member of the band gotten emotional from playing a song.

I'm just wondering about this, cause i've read from various places about people and songs meaning so much to them. Plus you hear that PJ has saved people's lives like certain songs and such. Music saved Ed's life, so wonder if he has ever felt this way.

at LA2 2006 when they played MOTH

my father had passed away in sept 2005 and the moment hit me

'goodbye for now...'

sweet release
    Down the street you can hear her scream youre a disgrace
    As she slams the door in his drunken face
    And now he stands outside
    And all the neighbours start to gossip and drool
    He cries oh, girl you must be mad,
    What happened to the sweet love you and me had?
    Against the door he leans and starts a scene,
    And his tears fall and burn the garden green
  • Options
    macgyver06macgyver06 Posts: 2,505
    i cried when pearl jam played my favorite tune... with arms wide open.
  • Options
    Flannel ShirtFlannel Shirt Posts: 1,021
    Given to Fly...just about every time I hear it. Greatest song ever written, now and forever. I cannot explain why, and its not necessarily the lyrics, its the "soul" of the song that does it to me.
    All that's sacred, comes from youth....dedications, naive and true.
  • Options
    haffajappahaffajappa British Columbia Posts: 5,955
    olderman wrote:
    at LA2 2006 when they played MOTH

my father had passed away in sept 2005 and the moment hit me

'goodbye for now...'

sweet release
    exactly the same for me.
    my grandfather passed away in may of 2005... i've been waiting to hear MOTH since i got hooked on the song shortly after his death.

the line 'a snowflake falls in may' always meant a LOT to me.

when the chords started playing at vancouver night 1 i could feel myself tear up!!!
    live pearl jam is best pearl jam
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    I found the whole Ed solo in CA experience pretty emotional. Not in a sobbing kind of way, but in a "thank god, what a gift" sort of uplifting way.

To summarize, lost a BF of 7 years in a bad break up last winter, then my Dad was diagnosed with cancer (again), helped him through chemo, had my car totaled by an uninsured person (still carless), living with my folks at age 29 helping take care of my Dad (who continues to have one health problem after another).....

and then deciding to up and take off cross country (completely unlike me) for an EV show because it is personally meaningful to me. Then, getting to sit back and listen to ED belt out "rise" "far behind" etc etc (the list goes on), yup, I would say that is worthy of some emotional response. It was a gift... and the time away helped me figure more than a few things out.
    Thanks, Ed.
  • Options
    HinnyHinny Posts: 1,610
    Copenhagen 07 was a cryfest for the band, pretty much. And lots of us in the crowd too. During the soundcheck, even.

I Believe In Miracles at Buenos Aires 05 had a bit of crying. VA Beach 00 is a no brainer- Long Road and It's Ok especially.

Daughter at Roskilde is surely the most emotionally distressing moment ever. But you know that already.
    Binary solo..000000100000111100001110
  • Options
    superdeluxesuperdeluxe Posts: 119
    just dave wrote:

I think it was pretty emotional, when they played that song of the guy that died in Roskilde, and his sister was in the audience, and they dedicated it to him.
  • Options
    azwyldcatsazwyldcats Posts: 698
    Eddie got visibly emotional after No More in Berkeley, night two.
    And I'm not living this life without you, I'm selfish and clear
    And you're not leaving here without me, I don't wanna be without
    My best... friend. Wake up, to see you could have it all
  • Options
    OneLoveOneLove Posts: 563
    OneLove wrote:
    I found the whole Ed solo in CA experience pretty emotional. Not in a sobbing kind of way, but in a "thank god, what a gift" sort of uplifting way.

To summarize, lost a BF of 7 years in a bad break up last winter, then my Dad was diagnosed with cancer (again), helped him through chemo, had my car totaled by an uninsured person (still carless), living with my folks at age 29 helping take care of my Dad (who continues to have one health problem after another).....

and then deciding to up and take off cross country (completely unlike me) for an EV show because it is personally meaningful to me. Then, getting to sit back and listen to ED belt out "rise" "far behind" etc etc (the list goes on), yup, I would say that is worthy of some emotional response. It was a gift... and the time away helped me figure more than a few things out.
    Thanks, Ed.

OK, so I misread the title of the thread. My bad. I believe Ed may have gotten a bit chocked up when the crowd give his mom a lengthy standing ovation during SD II. Then possibly again when he finshed singing bob dylans "forever young" to her.
  • Options
    12345AGNST112345AGNST1 Posts: 4,906
    cleveland 06-Black. I have never heard Eddie sing black that emotionaly that recently. the whole version is filled with emotion, you can just tell.
    5/28/06, 6/27/08, 10/28/09, 5/18/10, 5/21/10
    8/7/08, 6/9/09